Matt
Years ago

Tim Cahill we salute you

What a star Tim Cahill is, he's so clutch big moments/big plays...One of our modern day sporting greats..

Topic #41935 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No good young players are coming through.

Where is our next Cahill? Worrying times.

Reply #650280 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cahill is great, but even if Australia beats Honduras (no gimme) we'll be lucky to win a single game at the world cup let alone make it from the group stages. For such a small population we just don't have enough of our best athletes playing soccer... Which is just fine by me, to be honest!

Reply #650288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus your mentality is what is wrong with this country. Shocking attitude.

Reply #650311 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We got bigger problems than not loving soccer.

Reply #650314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even a soccer centre of excellence anymore.

A league youth teams also not working imo.

Reply #650316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like?

Reply #650317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watch all the us soccer outrage on YouTube for a laugh.

Reply #650319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct. Since FFA/A-League era we have got worse. Remember WC 2006 qualification where we did the best was at the backend of the NSL and Soccer Australia.

Money is flowing now but the development is nowhere. Disgusting really.

Reply #650320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha the US thing is hilarious, we may be in the same boat if we lose to Honduras.

I don't mind if we don't qualify for the powers that be to realise how pathetic we are.

Reply #650321 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, and how many A League teams lost to amateur clubs in the offseason? No idea what the issues are, but try as I have over the years the A League is pretty much unwatchable for me.

Reply #650323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus agreed A-League is unwatchable but I want us to at least have good players developed and playing overseas like our 2006 squad to go on a nice World Cup run like back then, but it's not happening anytime soon ;/

Reply #650326 | Report this post

an0nym0use  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #650340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia

Reply #650341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Socceroos

Reply #650342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matildas are looking awesome though with many talented youngsters in the pipeline.

Reply #650345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not the same thing.

Reply #650347 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Sebastian Pasquali is pretty promising

Reply #650348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People thought Antonis and ikonomidis were promising too.

Reply #650349 | Report this post

Joga Bonito  
Years ago

Our football federation, and system in general, is very broken.

I'm looking forward to fifa cleaning out the board on the 30th.

Reply #650431 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

You're assuming that FIFA will make decisions that are competent, not corrupt and not political, and for the good of the country?

Good luck with that! Check out their history over the last few years, and how they treated our World Cup bid for example.

Reply #650454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lowy money has made the federation and the league look professional and slick but at the same time the actual quality and development of players is worse.

Reply #650460 | Report this post

Joga Bonito  
Years ago

@hoopie Fifa are only selecting an initial temp board which will then be replaced by an elected board, by all of the stakeholders. I trust the aafc,apfc, pfa etc to select the best candidates for the new board.

Reply #650497 | Report this post

Joga Bonito  
Years ago

@460 both the mls and the aleague are closed leagues, and as a result both may miss the world cup.

Reply #650499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Joga yep. Too comfortable for people to cost in those setups.

Reply #650516 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

A-league is unwatchable, the standard is pitiful. All the marketing and branding is just lipstick on a pig. And it's shameful that despite massive grass roots participation the only way to drag Australia through the WC qualifiers is to continually throw Cahill back into the squad as even at nearly 40 he's the only player we have who can consistently stick the ball in the net against average Asian teams. With the premier league on so late and A-league being such a horror show its not surprising I watch so much basketball nowadays.

Reply #650682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754