Jumpshot
Years ago

Players diving at another player's knees

This is extremely dangerous and could end a player's career. It needs to be a flagrant foul - 2 shots and possession and the offending player put on report to face the judiciary.

Topic #41945 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Piss off if you're suggesting there was malicious intent by Creek. It was a tough play on the ball.

Reply #650712 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It doesn't have to be malicious to be very dangerous.

Reply #650714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is a dirty player and terrible role model can't stand him

Reply #650715 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think if the offending player is a captain then he should be allowed to nominate a teammate to cop the punishment

Reply #650716 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It wasn't malicious but it was reckless and negligent.

He was a little niggly tonight, Creek. Seemed ticked off at how his team was playing and took it out on others. A little push here, a little dive at the legs there.

Reply #650719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF am I reading? An accidental injury on a loose ball dive! Heck, you must hate Delly too then. " Creek is a dirty player and a terrible role model", well tonight he was a great role model on effort when the rest of the team was flailing. Get over yourself.

Reply #650720 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Firstly look up the definition of flagrant foul - it does not have to be malicious to be dangerous.

Secondly this is a practice that is becoming far to common and far too dangerous, by all teams .... no implications on Creek's intent ... I'm sure in the moment with the testosterone going he and other players are going for the ball. However it can be as dangerous as a high tackle in footy.

Reply #650721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd blame the dodgy decals everywhere on the courts. Prather's minor slip on his change of direction put him off balance and changed the angle of the contact.

A number of players this weekend alone have lost their footing on those things.

There's a reason they're banned in the US. After Gilchrist you'd think the NBL would learn instead of selling out the safety of their players for $$.

Reply #650722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should not leave your feet to dive at the ball. Creek did not do this on purpose but the rules should make it a foul, it's dangerous.

Reply #650723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's add the 3-feet rule in like Netball! That'll fix it.

Reply #650724 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Funny how a hand check can be a foul, yet some people on here are arguing that a potentially career ending play should not be penalised.

Reply #650725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stepping on someone's foot could break an ankle too, should we ban people from standing next to someone who jumps?

Didn't see any rage on here yesterday, if this was such an issue where was everyone demanding the rules were change for the last 50 years?

It was an accident. Players diving on a loose ball are generally praised.

Creek jumped out of bounds to save a deflection in Cairns which led to a Sobey layup and Fox replayed the action as a highlight all night.

Give it a rest.

Reply #650727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying it isn't accidental, just that serious injuries are a big price to pay when the alternative is to change a rule that has a minimal effect on games.
Did it take a near-miss to prompt this thread? Yes. I guess some people would prefer that it takes a player to lose a couple of years off their career before addressing an obvious risk.

Reply #650730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With you forum guys at the helm, Delly's career would be over

Reply #650734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it sure would have. his entire game consists of diving at blokes' legs. taking that away would be like taking steph curry's 3 point shot away.

Reply #650736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should not leave your feet to dive at the ball?? Can't believe some of the responses here. Wouldn't just be Delly's career over. I'm with the pp who thinks you should watch netball.

Reply #650741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't dive at people's legs in afl, why should you be allowed to in basketball.

Reply #650748 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I've been watching players all over the world dive on the ball like that for 30 odd years.

Reply #650749 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So have I, Udog.
And for even longer than that I've been watching Australia prevent same sex couples from marrying.
Therefore nothing should change for the better.

Personally I don't think you have to ruin a sport to reduce some high-risk areas. I think suggestions are worth looking at, because that had the potential to be really bad.
When the AFL changed the rule I don't think it made the game any worse. Over the last decade, (AFL)players had been getting increasingly more kamikaze in their approach to winning the ball, knowing that the rules were on their side, and the result was 1) some shocking injuries to other players, and 2) the kamikazes doing more damage to themselves as well. The players had to be protected from their own intensity, and that's what has happened in recent years.
Now you can't take out the legs, and going into a contest head-first is also being cracked down on. Both good things IMO.

The NBL would be wise to have another look too.

Reply #650777 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

... and I'm not having a go at Creek btw, before anyone gets overly defensive about that.

Reply #650778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Luke, got nothing to do with Creek, he played to the rules, but it's dangerous and should be looked at. We don't want star players or any player being out for substantial time because there legs were taken out or this starting to be the norm at junior level because the big boys do it.

Reply #650784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since politics were brought up in this thread - #voteno

Reply #650786 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting one

Certainly in afl there is increasingly recognition of obligation to consider other players in situations like this.

It was definitely a dangerous play and bordering on reckless, regardless of whether the intent was malicious or not

Reply #650787 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Last season Tey's did the same thing to Damo and injured his knee. He was out for weeks.

Reply #650807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing in it. Creek went after the ball in desperation...like you want from your players. Prather was actually closer to the ball but seemed disinterested in making any play for it. If Prather had wanted that ball he would have gotten it and then Creek would likely have been called for the foul.
Is it just me or does Prather not seem happy at United?

Reply #650884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Dellavedova hurt Korver in this fashion in the play-offs a couple of seasons ago.

Reply #650885 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

The AFL has made similar changes to protect serious leg injuries.

I think diving on a ball while turning your shoulder into a player should be called unsportsmanlike.

Dive on a ball head on but don't turn into another players knee.

Reply #650910 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If you don't turn to protect the ball and keep it in your possession then why dive for the ball?

Reply #651003 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Any updates to the extent of Prather's injury?

While I also think there was absolutely no malice and initially thought the OP was over reacting I now somewhat agree that it's worth discussion on how to prevent players diving out of control for the ball on the ground.

Reply #651117 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hopeful to play vs Perth.

Reply #651118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season Tey's did the same thing to Damo and injured his knee. He was out for weeks.

I thought Teys was bumped by a Wildcats player on a rebound, and fell onto Martin's knee. I can't find the footage now.

Reply #651247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's my recollection as well.

Reply #651248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova's dive role was heavily criticized by other NBA players and commentators due to the risk involved.

I'm no pro, but had the pleasure of playing pickup with a few ex college players, and they all had a sense of fair play when it came to placing others at risk. I had a few issues with my game explained to me in this context.

Reply #651249 | Report this post

Flow  
Years ago

I don't think I’ve seen a player dive for a ball like that and then throw his body into a player except in AFL. Maybe it’s just the way he was taught in Auskick to dive on a ball. He wasn’t trying to roll at all. It looked like he was trying to get his head over the ball and lay a bumb like a good midfielder. Maybe not intentional but very reckless. Flagrant 1.

Reply #651251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova's dive role was heavily criticized by other NBA players and commentators due to the risk involved.

I'm no pro, but had the pleasure of playing pickup with a few ex college players, and they all had a sense of fair play when it came to placing others at risk. I had a few issues with my game explained to me in this context.

This is right on the money. In the US they respect the fact dangerous play is career threatening. In Australia and the NBL it doesn't seem to exist, maybe stemming from social aspects such as the way players go full on in our football codes. Dellavedova is the poster child of our style meeting there's and how they perceive it as not on.

Reply #651288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirty Delly is going for the face these days, not the legs

Reply #651420 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754