Ryan
Years ago

Adelaide 102 - Perth 93

Well, that wasn't exactly an impressive start to the NBL season, but a win is a win.

Farley got everyone going in the second half, Maher made a couple of jumpers, and Dusty was solid throughout. David Cooper must have had close to a double-double. Forman hardly played, Holmes didn't really do much, Hill did a couple of brilliant things but had some costly turnovers, and Rees was largely ineffective. Nash did ok for his first game back, but should not be playing at the expense of Forman.

Hambour sat there with his warmup shirt off the whole night just to prove that he DOES actually have a uniform on.

Perth is not going to challenge for anything this year. Matt Burston was invisible (which is quite an accomplishment at his size), Ronaldson missed some sitters, as did Redhage, and don't even get me started on Dillon Boucher. And thanks to Paul Rogers for acting like a dickhead and for getting the crowd into it. Merc.

Bailey went ok, but once Farley got up in his face he had less of an impact.

Scott Fisher should have called a timeout much earlier in the fourth than he did as a five point lead turned into a fifteen point lead quite quickly, but he should have seen it coming. Hell, I did, and what do I know.

As I said, not pretty, but it's a start.

As far as the administration of the game the scoreboard didn't work, neither did the shotclock, and anytime anyone was speaking into the microphone over the PA system all that you could hear was a distorted mumble. Of course it isn't important that things like this work. It's much more crucial that effort is directed towards organising a bunch of fat guys to come out and do a dance rountine, and a military band to come and mime the National Anthem (I think that it was supposed to be an Andy Kaufman ripoff, but maybe 10 people in the audience will get it).

Hey, 1-0. A big disappointment though without the scoreboard, shotclock, and that giant replay screen that was showing a 'replay' of the Sixer's logo.

Oh well, at least the carpark only cost $7.

Topic #4195 | Report this topic

haggas  
Years ago

Get a life Ryan!!

Well done to everyone involved, you could certainly see a difference tonight, well done to the Marketing Team plus the mentions by Neil at the end of the game, Isaac, Ben, PaulBonsor and Jane (I think).

Sixer won - well done to Phil, Brett and the team, band were great, singer did not mine - saw her rehearse whilst I was waiting for dining, unfortunate about the clock - did see people rushing around trying to work out what was wrong! These things happen - it did not take away from the game at all. Neil did a good job updating us of players points.

Good job to the 'fat guys' as you called them, showed their love for the game, entertained us all and gave up their time to do all this - they could have sat and done nothing but they answered the call. Good Job Navy Seals - you were fantastic.

I thought it was great!! Sorry Ryan totally disagree with you - I went home satisfied with the effort put in by everyone!!

Reply #48724 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Still, the scoreboard not working is fairly darn embarrasing!

Reply #48728 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

technical hickups occur my understanding is it worked perfectly in test and right up till pre game then something in the controlling computer died, but hey i think they put some positive steps forward tonight replay screen will be great once its been ironed out remeber isaac and the others have been working there arse of on this and it will get better once sponsors by time and fox provide hightlights

and on a Playing note Coops was Solid and Nash looks in awesome touch little bit more match time and he will be recruit of the year

still miming the national anthem was dodgey but hey potsie and his crew should be commended for some seriously good positive steps in the right direction

well done Team and well done to guys and gals behind the seen who made tonight very enjoyable

Reply #48736 | Report this post

TCP  
Years ago

Well, I enjoyed the night. There were hitches (the aforementioned PA issue, the scoreboard & my major gripe, the introduction sequence), but it was still the best entertainment I've seen at a 36ers game in a long while.

As far as the game goes, it seemed a lot like a pre-season game. Lots of fumbly errors etc. Maher was a little off, but still managed 19 & 8, Farley shot (and made) some ridiculous shots, but 8/21 FG's is sub-par. His D looks great when he gets up full court, but what him in the half court, he gets lost so easily. Dusty worked hard & was probably our MVP. Having 22 & 17 against guys up to 6 inches taller than him is a super effort. Jacob, Nashy & Oscar all did their job. They played 27, 22 & 15 minutes, respectively. I think Oscar could have got another 5-10, but overall, I thought our rotation was OK. Was good to see Nashy back on the floor & playing reasonably well. Cooper did well, was surprised he only ended up with 3 boards. I don't know that Reesy deserved all 15 minutes he got, but was good value, just as an annoyance to Rogers.

I'm not sure Perth are really going to contend. Bailey is a flashy street baller, but I'm not sure he'll be a star in this league. He's no Ricky Grace! Redhage was good (similar to Dusty) and with him, Crawford, Rush etc. running the lanes & Bailey pushing the ball, they could end up being quite exciting to watch. If they're to get in the mix of the top 6, I think they'll need more from Rogers & Burston. They managed 15 & 15 combined in 42 minutes, but seemed a relative non-factor. Wasn't fussed on Ingham's coaching tonight. Thought his sub patterns were a little weird.

On a side note : Townsville came back from an 18 point half time margain to beat W/Syd by 14. My only question: Why is Newley still coming off the bench? 24 points in 27 mins?! Let him loose Stacker!!!

Reply #48738 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Well done team. The sixers did what they had to do to win. Defensive intensity went up for the period early in the last quarter that took the points buffer out to about 15 and from that point they finished out the game.

And yes, it was good to let Rogers know what we thought of him. I noticed he tried to give all the players a big hug post game!

Reply #48739 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Great game tonight. All this fuss about the entertainment. If you want entertainment, go to the circus. I came to watch a good game of basketball and got exactly what I wanted.

Reply #48747 | Report this post

Fair Dinkum  
Years ago

well what6 happened with rogers?

Reply #48748 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anthem singer certainly didn't mime. I was at the Dome from about 2:30 onwards and saw her rehearse. The band played with a backing track, but I believe this was because they weren't confident about acoustics? Who knows -- either way, I think the army/navy guys really responded to the invitation well -- truck and cannon setup out front of the Dome, the abseilers in full gear, half-time troupe were superb, etc.

Ryan, I think you were disappointed with the screen because Boti pre-emptively referred to it as a replay screen and got hopes up. The club will get there. It was installed on Tuesday and the projector is hired on game days which makes it difficult to test things like making sure promo screens were legible, etc. Plus I think it was operated by someone whose only practise run had been earlier that afternoon.

The setup and presentation was all done on a limited budget too, and hopefully the club will see the improvement and allocate more funds. To do live replays, you need a screen (usual big screen is $10,000/game to hire, so the rear-projection option is much more cost-effective), cameramen (the concourse camera isn't a great vantage) and then specific hardware. I think it's on the cards, but a bit much for first game unfortunately.

Update: BTW, if anyone was wondering why Dusty wore #44, his singlet went missing on the morning of the game. Oops.

Reply #48770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just about the game last night why was dusty in the "spare" singlet and not his usual number 45. what is the point of perth having number when they are going to be so low the guys just have to tuck them in to their shorts. It was a great game all round and was a well deserved win for our guys. p.s. loved the big screen fantasic idea

Reply #48773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooper close to a double double? 11 pts 3 boards... not exactly a good effort. Why is he built up as a defender... All he does is go for blocks (which, mind you, he got none). Waste of an import IMO.

Reply #48798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cooper isn't an import.

Reply #48804 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Nor has he trained that much lately due to illness.

Reply #48812 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anonymous #48773 - Dusty's singlet got lost.

Reply #48843 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754