Doug
Years ago

Alan Wiggins - Injured

Wiggins is out of next week's game already with an arm injury. He only played a few minutes, but that jump shot doesn't look good at all. Tough to make an assessment on his game after just a few minutes. Is this just an unfortunate injury or will that be his last game for Adelaide?

Topic #41953 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

"Injured"

Aka he's shithouse and they'll be getting another import

Reply #650797 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Looks like Adelaide is undertaking an even more extreme version of Perth's import carousel. Wonder if it will garner as much hate...

Reply #650798 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Get a damn point guard to add more fuel to the uptempo fire!

Reply #650803 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Why stop wasting your time and spend a bit more a get someone half decent

Reply #650809 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

carefull, this guy was personally checked out by one of Boti's heroes

Reply #650810 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

^ Haha, pay that. Boti's obsession for a guy who hasn't coached in a thousand years is a bit over the top!

Reply #650812 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah he looked average at best. I know it was his first game, with probably no practice but he just looked average with the way he moved let alone his shot.

Reply #650823 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Have respect for Ken Cole he is one of the greats. But yes Wiggins looked out of depth. Interesting times ahead.

Reply #650830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has he got wifi yet?

Reply #650860 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's been a pretty poor effort with our imports this season. A PG that isn't really a PG and a PF/Centre coming off a knee reconstruction.

You've got all offseason to find imports and this is what we come up with and then replace the guy with bad knees who looks like he can't play and is now injured anyway.

With Shorter going back to the US for who knows how long and now Wiggins injured might as well just cut our losses dump both and start over fresh.

Reply #650866 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Wiggins looked a lot like Amritpal Singh by the way he moved on the court, and clearly that's no compliment. I don't know why Joey insists on getting imports from Buttfuck Nowhere, and I don't buy that they didn't have the money, because Ronald Roberts wouldn't have been cheap and they don't have to pay him now. I don't expect NBA guys all the time but when your career highlight is 16 ppg in the Japanese second division, I'd say you're not really worth our time.

Reply #650871 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Now is the perfect time to go after two fresh imports with players starting to get cut from NBA training camps desperate for a contract somewhere as most of the imports gigs in Europe would already be sewn up.

Reply #650875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two new imports? I thought Shorter was only gone for the week.

Reply #650881 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

This is why I would have been happy with Hakim Warrick, a known commodity rather than another cheap option who is well out of his depth. A 35 year old with 8 years NBA experience is far better than a 33 year old with none.

If we were serious about trying to win a title we would have waited for the NBA to make its roster cuts. Creek will go to Europe next year and the good Aussie core we built will go to waste.

Perth have had a great Aussie core for years but did not win championships until good imports were bought in to get them over the top.

Reply #650886 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Wiggins needs to be cut and replaced asap, he's not up to the standard. Not sure why Joey couldn't tell that from the tape...pretty obvious imo. Surely we can do better?!

Reply #650887 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Wiggins is 10th-11th man quality. Slow, clumsy and a broken jump shot, he needs to be cut immediately. I think the Roberts sacking was a bit silly as he's the type of player we need, an athletic rebounding rim protector who can run the floor.

Reply #650907 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Better off promoting a local than wasting spot on Wiggins.
Save the third import spot for later in season

Reply #650908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe has gone off on FB with all the wankers posting here. Good on him.

Reply #650916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe needs to understand it's a league that is nothing without the fans. Fans won’t always agree with what you put out on court. He needs to shut up and do his job running the behind the scene stuff which he is constantly telling everyone how good a job he is doing. Have to have a thick skin in sports, those rants are sad, deal with the backlash from a supporter base that wants results.

Reply #650923 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Seriously, reading most of the keyboard warriors comments regarding the injury to Alan last night is not only disappointing, angering and disrespectful, they are IDIOTIC and simply inhumane!!!

Let me give you some facts. This gentleman of a bloke landed at 1:30pm last Thursday afternoon after 20 plus hours of flying in an economy class seat. He then stayed up until approx. 10:30pm attending the Lightning WNBL game at Titanium as this teammates were in Cairns.

Friday he worked his tail off in a very rough, 2 hour individual with our strength coach Adam Murphy and Saturday morning at Game Day shoot around was the first time he got to workout with his teammates... FOR ONE HOUR!!!

So only 52 hours from landing and doing all the above I read these STUPID, NEGATIVE and simply WRONG comments and it's hard to not get worked up by them because clearly these fools have NO IDEA!!!

My parents taught me a couple of things... 1. "If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything" and 2. “If you’re going to say something, get all the facts first”

May I implore all you keyboard warriors to do the same or if you can’t, why not just SHUT UP, sit back and support YOUR team through thick and/or thin???

The hashtag is WEareSixers!!! Not I am Sixers!!! Not You are Sixers!!! It’s WE!!! #WeAreSixers

He's a good guy and works hard so shut up. Not sure that cuts the mustard in professional sport.

Reply #650927 | Report this post

Lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Well Said Zodiac

Reply #650930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Chappelle was a good guy too. Sadly was so nice the 6ers didn't cut him before it was too late.

Reply #650935 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Can I ask who or what the source of these keyboard Warriors that Joey is referring to? It's unlikely to be here as I haven't seen that much negativity before this thread.

Reply #650940 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That was from Big Joe not Joey and I think it was actually in response to some negative comments about Wiggins and him now being out injured on the Sixers FB page.

Reply #650942 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Zodiac "With Shorter going back to the US for who knows how long and now Wiggins injured might as well just cut our losses dump both and start over fresh."

Shorters family member just passed away and you want to cut him. What a quality human you are. If you bothered to find out the details he is back for next game.

"A PG that isn't really a PG"

How is he not a PG? Guy is basically leading the league in assist. Team looks great when he is playing.

ME "16 ppg in the Japanese second division, I'd say you're not really worth our time."

Jacobsen is getting similar stats in the Japanese league. He held his own in the NBL.

Tickle me cosby we could not afford Hakim Warrick. United didn't want him back for good reason. Also what has Warrick been doing since he played for them? I doubt he is match fit.

For the record I think Wiggins looks average but so did Julius Hodge in his first game scoring 5 or 7 points. Wiggins came on at one stage when it looked like we were putting up the white flag however he helped with his energy including taking a charge and we got the game back to single digits. He also grabbed 4 rebounds in 8 minutes. Give him a chance to learn the offense and settle in with the team first.

Also once again we are spending most of our money on our quality Australian players. So we don't have big money to spend on imports. If you have a spare $100k+ please give the club a call.

Reply #650963 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Spot on Brunson. People need to chill. It is round 2. Wait until halfway before we can really judge. I have liked Shorter's all round game too.

Reply #650968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait and til 1/2 way and way too late.

Reply #650970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wiggins deserves at least another couple of games before we can make a call on whether he's good enough. Pretty hard when he only had just stepped off the plane and didn't know his teammates.

But I liked the charge he took. A good sign that when you're not sure of the league, the plays and don't have your legs under you that you still find a way to do the little things.

Reply #650976 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shorters family member just passed away and you want to cut him. What a quality human you are. If you bothered to find out the details he is back for next game.

Thanks champ I had based my opinion on every game he's played this season and although I think he cops too much heat his body language and lack of PG smarts leads me to think we could find much better and possibly for cheaper too.

If we're going to cut Wiggins and I think we should might as well go right on with it.

How is he not a PG? Guy is basically leading the league in assist. Team looks great when he is playing.

I dare say not a massive achievement with all the offensive weapons we have on this team. Wilt Chamberlain led the NBA in assists in one season too, not a PG.

He's a natural SG evidenced by him finishing 2nd in Turkey in scoring last season and his poor ballhandling and decision making at PG so far. When was the last time you saw a PG in the NBL get called for two carries in one game?

I'm not even really gung ho about him being released but Wiggins should probably go and if Shorter's absence (assuming he stays over there for the funeral) turns into 2-3 weeks all of these events could conspire to derail our season before it's even started.

Reply #650977 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

@Shano76.

No way we should be cutting Wiggins after 1 game unless this injury is season ending.

While I don't agree with the calls for the cut, I can't help but this us Sixers fans are a bit more sensitive to sticking with poor import choices than most other fans.

In the last 2 seasons we've had a) Ebi Ere (plus plus kilos) b) T-Ferg. Given our top place last season, and the retention of our quality Australian core we feel we have a good chance at a ring this year. The final pieces are the imports and we want to get that right.

Again don't agree with calls to cut but understand why our fans are 'on edge'.

Reply #650979 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I forgot to add Shorter played as a SG in Turkey and then played as a PG in France after that and reportedly really struggled.

Reply #650981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: the is he a PG or SG comments, maybe the Sixers prefer more of a "scoring" type of point guard anyway? A la Jerome Randle.

Reply #650983 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Adelaide, we have a problem. It's the "fans" we have, who don't know how to support the team.

I cannot believe you guys. How can you call for either Shorter or Wiggins to be sacked? Shorter is clearly a much better fit for your team than the previous guy. He's gone home for a few days to mourn a family member's death. Family, remember that? It's supposed to be the sort of thing a team and its fans rally around.

Wiggins has had one hour of practice with his new team, and would still have been jetlagged when he hit the court. Cut the guy some slack! Your team is 2 and 2, only four games into the season. There's no need to panic, just because you haven't won every game by 40 points, with all your imports scoring triple doubles!

Reply #650984 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's Adelaide not Cairns we've had success in the past and we have expectations. After a magical run during last season's regular season getting knocked out in the Semi's and in the fashion we did with all the drama around Randle and his wife's antics left a very bitter taste in the mouths of fans starved of championship success for 15 years when it had appeared all the stars had aligned last season.

Reply #650989 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What is the extent of the hand/arm injury to Wiggins? No mention of that anywhere?

Reply #650998 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's Adelaide not Cairns we've had success in the past and we have expectations.
Since Cairns came into the league Adelaide have only one more championship in the same number of grand final appearances, and since 2015 both clubs have the exact same number of wins.

Not sure what you feel entitles you to higher expectations.

Reply #650999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, fan bases don't use such analytics as a barometer of what they feel entitled to. Cairns fans would have a similar mindset as would every club.

Reply #651004 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I got the impression of shorter being better at point guard duties than any of those that tried it here on saturday against united...... most likely ramone moore caint play pg , but would have been better at it ..

Reply #651020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any imports still out here from PL season

Reply #651043 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I think a lot of posters are selling Shorter short. Seem to recall Randle was far from perfect too.

As for Wiggins ... reading of his 'build up' to the game, not surprised by what we saw Saturday. While I'm not expecting him to morph into Julius Hodge, thankfully, I seem to recall Hodge's jump shot was pretty flat too.

What he [and Shorter] do bring, apart from their experience and other skills and attributes, is an ability, and willingness, to use their feet to get to the boards and position themselves to box out, something our much-vaunted 'Aussie core' would do well to note and emulate, though Drimic usually does reasonably well in that aspect of the game.

Reply #651050 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Shorter is great for the team and that showed on Saturday when he was out.

I think part of the reason Wiggins looked so out of place was because the team in general was a shit show that game. Had he been inserted into the lineup in a performance like Thursday night, where all he needed to do was play some D and grab a few boards, he would have looked better, IMO.

Reply #651053 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

That is true, no one played well. If we judged everyone's performance Saturday there would be a few that would get the cut.
Definitely needed Shorter to help set everything up as well. I like what we have gotten from him so far.

Reply #651055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love a good koberulz post. Been a long time admirer of his work.

Reply #651056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What? Adelaide fans standard is way higher than Cairns, no matter what the stats say. Adl demands more.

Reply #651057 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't think Sixer fans demand more than Taipan Fans.

Both want to win it all and believe their team can do it.

The only thing I could say is Sixer fans have had a good taste of success (and want more of it) but that don't make Cairns less hungry for victory.

Reply #651060 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

Apparently a broken arm for Wiggins, requiring surgery. Unlucky to break an arm in 8 minutes of basketball.

Reply #651064 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Surely they have to replace him?

Reply #651065 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Awful luck if confirmed true. You'd think we'll be on lookout for a replacement replacement then.

Reply #651069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Big Joe cry when he heard the news?

Reply #651074 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-import-alan-wiggins-to-have-surgery-on-broken-arm/news-story/4e8ff44e887c292feb0c0751cae5e0f3

8 weeks recovery, damn.

Article suggests he will be gone soon.

Reply #651078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not play Alex Starling while looking for a new import. He has demonstrated he is better than some of those on the team.

Reply #651082 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Why not play Alex Starling while looking for a new import. He has demonstrated he is better than some of those on the team."

It would be a good idea as they search for someone however doesn't he and DJ not like one another? I remember them both involved in quite heavy trash talking in the Premier League finals two seasons ago. If that is the case then it would be bad to bring someone in that would upset the chemistry. Culture is more important than talent

Reply #651085 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Now we wait for a tweet from Wiggins denying he has a broken arm :-).

Man such rough luck, sport can be cruel but not the worst that could happen.

Greg Whittington, anyone?

Reply #651095 | Report this post

Lonzo 4 Life  
Years ago

Tough luck but probably can at the best time tbh with the NBA rosters getting trimmed in tomorrow.
Big Ads, I think Whittington would be a great fit for the Sixers system but don't know if he would be willing to come off the bench for us. Although, moving Hodgson to the bench and DJ to the 5 could be an option with Whittington at the 4. Probs beats for Hodgy as he has a record of getting into foul trouble too much so this could limit it. Saying this, the Sixers, as they always do, will probs let us all down by signing an underwhelming SEABL player which doesn't contribute. Or......... this is another Jaron Johnson situation where Roberts is back (although tensions seem to be high between him and the 36ers)

Reply #651097 | Report this post

Lonzo 4 Life  
Years ago

*best for Hodgson

Reply #651098 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boti reckons it will be Jameel McKay

Reply #651099 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Why on earth would we want Whittington? We need someone that can defend on the post! Whittington is redundant to our needs. Furthermore, he is extremely sooky. So no we don't need anyone like that.

Reply #651100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the classic "let's throw in a random name of an ex-NBLer" syndrome.

Reply #651103 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good to hear it looks like it will be McKay after initially ruling him out as the replacement for Roberts for supposedly being too expensive.

Reply #651105 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I agree with you Brunson

The Wiggins recuitment surprised me so with him out of the frame I turned my mind to who the Sixers might consider in respect to playing a similar role to Wiggins.

I couldn't imagine Whittington in a Sixers singlet either but you never know.

Reply #651106 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Spot on Anon, but there is no harm in generating idle speculation on a discussion based forum.

Reply #651107 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If McKay is available Adelaide should grab him

Reply #651115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll wait on McKay until Big Joe gives us the heads up on how good a guy he is.

Reply #651121 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Personally I liked the look of Wiggins despite his rude and premature intro to NBL. Looking at his highlights he is an excellent long range shooter. I think he would have been an excellent addition once up and running.

Jameel McKay looks amazing as long as he's right under the ring. He looks fast and athletic but looking at a highlight video I didn't see even one mid range shot let alone one from the perimeter. He would be great if we weren't already full of under the ring players.

Looking at United Sat night they didn't have a single player who wasn't prepared to take an open three when offered and with great overall success. Sixers had Drmic and Johnson who used up his share on Thursday night.

Sixers really need another reliable shooter from range in order to open up their offense. Sat night they just kept taking it to the hoop over and over into a condensed defense. too predictable.

Reply #651169 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ayjay...Wiggins was not the answer from range.

Reply #651200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just heard on fox sports that adelaide have 3 people lined up as replacements. Wonder who they are?

Reply #651269 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Dunigan, Simpson and Farley? Thought if McKay was the man we might have heard by now.

Reply #651278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #651346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754