Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats - Starting 5 announcements

I noticed in the game against Illawarra the starting 5's were announced in a very rushed manner. For a team that prides itself on the "overall entertainment product" of its game night, I thought this was poor. Let the drama build up a bit. I don't think the Hawks' starters were even announced and the Wildcats ones were rushed through so the players couldn't execute their routines before the next player was announced.

Is this disorganisation due to Lachie not being the MC?

Topic #41955 | Report this topic

Red74  
Years ago

mate, lachie is told what to say and when to say it. the program is down to the minute. if things are rushed, its because the program hasnt allowed enough time for something.

Reply #650888 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

The wildcats don't place much priority on the starting 5 unfortunately.

They place their effort into the team run ons.

There's a few reasons for this. One would be the time requirements to fit the Fox broadcast schedule. Another would be the requirement to have the venue lights on prior to tip off.

My understanding is, they would like to do more with the starting 5, but simply cannot.

Reply #650889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't say it was Lachie's fault. In fact I was wondering if his absence was the reason why things weren't running like a well-oiled machine.

Reply #650890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@TR: I'm not asking for something too elaborate, as the Wildcats haven't done anything like that for a while. All I'm asking for is that the names are announced one by one with an opportunity for the guy to soak up some applause before the next name is announced.

It would literally take only 10-15 more seconds in total to space things out a bit better.

Reply #650893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Perth not getting it right who would have thought.

Reply #650917 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Wow another gutless Anonymous poster too afraid to put a username to his comments

Reply #650919 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

I've never been to any one else's home game, so maybe its the same, but the Cats make a big production of the entrance of the 12 players. Plenty of opportunity to get applause, do their little routines, etc, etc.

Reply #650958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I've never been to any one else's home game, so maybe its the same, but the Cats make a big production of the entrance of the 12 players. Plenty of opportunity to get applause, do their little routines, etc, etc."

This is true - but my counter to that is the stadium is usually less than half full when the "run on" occurs. The starting 5 is a more opportune time to build up some theater/atmosphere.

Reply #650975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Adelaide haven't historically made a big deal out of starting lineups either. What announcement routines do you think Martin or Brandt are likely to need time for?!

Reply #651001 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It was definitely rushed as Greg Hire only got 3 bum taps of the starting 5 and he's always good for 4 or 5.

We keep hearing how we have visited NBA and we are going to incorporate new things into our product but it's worse now than the Perth Entertainment Centre days...

I see that Perth try but it's very much old hat these days and when tickets are so expensive you want to see something that leaves you awestruck (probably leaving that to players)

Reply #651007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red74, Lachy doesn't do it anymore...he’s commentating for fox sports now.

Reply #651034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, presentation of the game back in the day during PEC days was actually better. Starting five was a huge deal and if I recall even broadcast on TV so you could get a feel for the intro even at home. Just copy that formula once again FFS.

Reply #651045 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They can't, because the lights at Perth Arena take too long to warm up.

Reply #651068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another reason why Perth Arena is a joke.

Reply #651073 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What do they do normally?

Play Alan Parson's Project or Top Gun music or something similar?

Reply #651075 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Yep, Alan Parson's Project.

Reply #651090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Adelaide haven't historically made a big deal out of starting lineups either. What announcement routines do you think Martin or Brandt are likely to need time for?!"

I don't think these two necessarily have "routines" as such. But even seeing how the player accepts the applause of the starting 5 you get to know their personality a bit. Are they a showman? Are they shy? Are they "all business"? I thought this was something the NBL wanted to work on more this season - promote and get to know the personalities of the players so there's more of a fan connection.

As far as routines go, last year McKay had one where he honoured some friends/relatives that had passed away, and Prather and Johnson had some elaborate one. I don't know exactly what it meant, but I liked the look of it.

Greg Hire is regularly involved in the routines too. I saw this year he does one with Tokoto where it looks like he's feeding Tokoto some food. Again, it was rushed, so we couldn't really enjoy it.

Reply #651134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's one of the main reasons Tokoto has been starting off slowly in games. Rushing the pre-game meal is giving him heartburn.

Reply #651141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's one of the main reasons Tokoto has been starting off slowly in games. Rushing the pre-game meal is giving him heartburn. "

LOL !

Reply #651244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754