My fault
Years ago

Youth League Women Div 1

Lokking at the draw I notice South have 2 teams in Division 1. Is this a mistake?

A bit confused as I thought BSA strict ruling was no Club could enter two Div 1 teams and I am sure Sturt and Forestville would have liked to do this in the past.

Has anyone herad if the rules have been relaxed?

Topic #41963 | Report this topic

Years ago

Im all for 2 teams in Div 1 or 2 or whatever.

We need the talent rising to the top - look at Melbourne - if the team is good enough - they get rewarded in the right grade.

What I have a problem with is byes in junior Div 1 because a spot is being held for a team that is nowhere in sight - when we could be giving gifted athletes an opportunity to thrive in the game. Instead of our best sitting out or stacking a Div 2/3 team that week.

And end up with mega blowouts in Div 3/4/5.

Reply #651159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because our best juniors don't play enough as it is. There's no other sport where elite kids are expected to play 12months of the year, at the highest level possible, training at least 2 times a week 12 months a year. Doesn't even happen interstate in basketball but in SA where money is the driving force ...

Enjoy the Byes, a rare night off, let kids be kids for 1 week, chance to recover from niggling injuries etc.

Reply #651171 | Report this post

Years ago

they don't play 12 months of the year there is a big variation can be around 42 weeks

Reply #651175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23s is nowhere near as good as years back. Most clubs are shifting their attention to reserves and division one in summer. Some aren't even nominating or supplying coaches, one training a week and reduced fees. Most div one teams are div three or lower from years back. Expect this to be maybe last year before its scrapped and under 20s comes back.

Reply #651198 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Some programs for juniors do run close to 48 weeks per year with training (some clubs have kids training two weeks prior to Eltham) and making GFs in both summer and winter season. If the kids are in state squads and their club still expects them to attend all training sessions it does add up, and sadly it adds to the burn out of players in SA.

Should be a separate thread though.

As for this thread, Sturt had a couple of div 1 teams in u14 or u16 girls in winter season a couple of years ago. Not sure if this policy gets looked at on a yearly basis based on numbers and clubs nominating etc. Ill ask tomorrow night though and respond if no one adds in the meantime.

Reply #651201 | Report this post

Years ago

the 2 div one teams were about 2003 last i can recall

Reply #651202 | Report this post

Years ago

if you are burnt out or injured - take a break, any club that is decent would understand

Reply #651203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:45 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754