Anonymous
Years ago

Open Letter to Kings Ownership & Management

The Kings fans have had enough and have written an a Open letter on Aussie Hoopla to the Kings organisation wanting answers from JVG, Andrew Gaze or the ownership and they want the answers to be made publicly.

Read the letter on www.aussiehoopla.com

Topic #42011 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Violet Crumbles

Reply #652521 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ooh, includes words like 'diaspora'. I like it

Reply #652523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings aren't violet crumbles at all. That implies they were close to winning and lost.
Getting smashed by terrible teams isn't violet crumbles.

Reply #652531 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I had to google that and I still didn't get it... lol...

Annoying bad website formatting and some repetitive sentence structure aside, that pretty much sums up what all fans are now mostly on board with thinking... Each round we have weeded out a few more "oh support the team no matter what, youse guys are terrible fans!" posters and that last game especially where the players just gave up was the final straw...

I seriously doubt anything will come of it, but when even the happy clappers are losing their shit, it's pretty dire...

Reply #652532 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Maybe this will help a little. Gartlepp was told he would not be playing this season but he elected to see out his contract as there was no contract payout offered. A few knowing basket ballers indicated that he would get to play as some of the recruiting was poor.
The scuttlebutt is that the GM told Lisch that he was getting past it. Confidence building?
UNTHINKING. When in Auckland playing a good game against the Breakers the large whiteboard in the Kings dressing room was left for the Breakers to checkout. it included starters, specific plays and match ups planned for the game.
The Breakers utilised this information to demolished the Kings in the teams return game.

just a little insight

Reply #652538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear People Who Write Open Letters,

Stop it. They're stupid.

Signed,

Everyone.

Reply #652539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh the go into the oppo's change room cos they are dumb and may leave play books or whiteboards full of their stuff. Well done Breakers. Shame Gaze shame. That's a rookie mistake for sure.

Reply #652543 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

*points nose in upward direction*
Wookie, you clearly didn't study history at university.

The term is a noun that pretty much means a group of people that migrate internationally. For example, there is a Lebanese diaspora in Western Sydney.

I learned about Indian diaspora in England, but I think the term originates in the Middle East

Reply #652562 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who was that Indian writer who wrote about taking a shit in a plane? It was full of symbolism and analogy. I don't wanna have to Google it. Anyone?

But seriously, the old whiteboard gem.

I remember a rugby league story where the NSW Blues left their plays on the whiteboard at Suncorp Stadium a day or two before the game. Stupid asses

Reply #652564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When in Auckland playing a good game against the Breakers the large whiteboard in the Kings dressing room was left for the Breakers to checkout. it included starters, specific plays and match ups planned for the game.
The Breakers utilised this information to demolished the Kings in the teams return game.

Wow just wow. Amateur hour.

Reply #652569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love for mcquade to get the exclusive interview of JVG answering the questions to the fans on their ASN channel for the public to see. Or better yet, interview Gaze to see what excuses he spill.

Reply #652576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McQuade won't rock any boats. Never has never will.

Reply #652579 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Whilst I love my team and am a passionate member I don't give enough of a f### to write an open letter, let alone have the time to put in a 2000+ word rant demanding answers when things aren't going so well.

Kings will have a shake up from the coach down and get in shape and our attention will then go towards the next confusing and struggling team. And so the cycle will continue.

Reply #652592 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Don't think this woman is out of her mind writing such a long spiel. Getting your thoughts down on paper is therapeutic. Everyone has their own way of dealing with grief

Reply #652594 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

First of all, she seemed equally concerned that the Lion got fired rather than the losses itself.

At such a time, why is the Lion even on the consideration radar? Tommy Garlepp I can understand.

Secondly, I don't think they deserve to be called the Violet Crumbles. Violet Crumbles formed before shattering. There lacks evidence the Kings actually formed.

Reply #652603 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Response forthcoming from JVG soon, I'd say this will be on Hoopla also.

Reply #652609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying Gaze is a good coaching decision (at the very least, he's an incredibly expensive one!) or their roster make-up is right, but starting a season with two imports isn't outrageous (teams have done it before). Not crazy if you think Humphries might work as a strong option in the paint.

I suspect they think Garlepp is a gets-stats-on-bad-teams type and tried to move him on. It's possible that his contract is worth more than he'd get anywhere else, so he elected to brave the bench. Outside of imports, there wasn't much in the way of player movement this off-season, and not many spots available - virtually every player was under contract, I think.

The coach might be getting pressure from elsewhere in the club to not play him?

Reply #652618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait what - they fired the Lion???

Reply #652620 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Rohinton Mistry

Reply #652642 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

THE world is watching you, Sydney Kings.
"Can Gaze last the season?" one NBA scout asked foxsports.com.au on Saturday morning.
That scout followed up with, “(Jeff Van Groningen) is an overrated GM. He's all talk.”

The decision-making behind the Sydney Kings horror start to the season

Reply #652648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bbq sources told me that
They low balled Moller and only offered 1 year till it was all to late, he was very happy at Kings and enjoyed Gaze and the coaches, supported them his whole life, even cairns offered more and a 3 year deal.

Reply #652654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's so dumb not to secure a young talented guy for multiple years.

Reply #652655 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc for that fine article.

It made for harrowing reading just how disconnected from reality Van Gronigen is.

I don't mind people trying something different because what they had before wasn't working, but when plan B turns out just as bad as Plan A, please review for a plan C. Instead he keeps reiterating Lisch can run point and brushes off the PG names that come across his desk.

Maybe the Kings could do well to get Nick Marvin.

Reply #652657 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Rohinton Mistry would do a better job coaching this mob

Reply #652662 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I wouldn't say JVG is disconnected from reality. Its ruthlessness in the pursuit of his belief, gambled and lost badly, underestimating the consequences.

Reply #652668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been very vocal about JvG on here since his appointment. No one else really said much up until now when the losses started piling on. I don't know if maybe a lot of here forget the Bullets/Grove$ era but the guy is a total fraud, all BS no substance.

Reply #652669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and also surprise surprise who did JvG recruit to the Bullets during that era? Bradtke and Copeland. It's like the repeat button keeps getting hit with him.

You need to move away from your first NBL gig with the Tigers no matter how many friends you made during that time.

Reply #652670 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's a constant cycle of jobs for the boys... Bradtke is on board now as a bigs coach and it's looking more like the Melbourne Tigers revival than anything to do with the Sydney Kings...

At such a time, why is the Lion even on the consideration radar?

The Lion is a significant part of Kings history and a beloved icon of the team... Seeing him running out that first game when the team came back brought grown men to tears, he's been a huge part of the team through the great and shit years and the disrespect shown to him (sacked a week before the start of the season) is just another example of what is growing to be seen as the disrespecting of the Sydney history by outsiders...

Not crazy if you think Humphries might work as a strong option in the paint.

I suspect they think Garlepp is a gets-stats-on-bad-teams type and tried to move him on. It's possible that his contract is worth more than he'd get anywhere else, so he elected to brave the bench. Outside of imports, there wasn't much in the way of player movement this off-season, and not many spots available - virtually every player was under contract, I think.

If they thought Humphries was a strong option to start and be our main option in the middle, that IS crazy... He averaged 8mpg over 61 games in college... Sure, under a great coach, but anyone thinking that he would come and dominate straight away (which was needed if he's the only one in the middle) needed their head read...

Garlepp has never been an exceptional player, but he got better every season with us, was a great team guy and was awesome with the fans, working up to team captain and club mvp... His treatment by the team is as much about respect as it is about his playing ability... If you don't think he fits the team you want to build, do the right thing and pay him out... Don't set loose a virus of discontent within the team that is obviously taking hold...

The only players that were still under contract were: Tommy(1), Cadee(1), Lisch(2) and Newls(2).

They let Truck go (mistake), mucked about with Moller, underestimating his value and were caught out by teams better prepared and more professional...

So that's 7/10 spots that they needed to fill... Vinnie was the only one with NBL experience... At least Travis and Perry had professional experience before, but Thoseby, Singh (local pro experience doesn't count), Pineau (more jobs for the boys) and Humphries were seriously lacking...

That to me seems like a significant amount of player movement...

Reply #652720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG wanted complete control of a club this time around so installs a puppet coach. Check.

Gaze, Copeland et al. needed a "host body" club as the Tigers are currently not represented in the NBL. Check.

Collect monies from AEG. Check.

Oh winning? They forgot about that part.

Reply #652725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can the Lion mascot be totally done away with? At least put a different body in the suit. Baffling stuff not just on the court in Sydney. Wow.

Reply #652726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lion isn't being done away with. The original guy in the suit has been dumped. After doing it since 1995. Part of the problem with the club is how they handled the move. Basically they just got rid of him in a shocking way. Handled really poorly. And even though people might say "who cares, it's just a mascot", when you've got a guy who has been such a big part of the history of that club, who has done a lot for the organisation, who made that thing such a part of the experience of going to games in a positive way, and then you decide to dump him without managing the transition a lot better, it speaks to a failure of management and a poor culture within that club. They've clearly got bigger problems, but when you treat one of your biggest fans like they have, it says a lot about what they are about.

Reply #652728 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sorry yes, that's the case, I thought that was mentioned elsewhere. The "guy in the suit" was dumped, not the Lion totally, but really it amounts to the same thing, as the current person in the suit has 0% of the character of the original and just walks around and waves... The Lion was as much a reason to go to a game for kids as was the basketball... The amount of joy that he gave to kids everywhere before, during and after the game and the personality he showed, was an important part of the game night experience, which has now been dumped, and why?

Reply #652742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG wants control of everything. What a despot.

Reply #652818 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754