Dome Rat
Years ago

Does Gaze's demeanour impact his coaching?

Thought I would throw this out for discussion.

Gaze is super nice, like ridiculously nice. Does that mean he doesn't have the venom that is needed from time to time to rip players that need it.

Joey, Fearne , Bevo all have the ability to command respect and to put people in their place.

Does Gaze's persona work against him? If he admits the team wasn't running his game plan against NZ why didn't he call timeout til they did? Failing that bench guys for not running what is instructed.

Topic #42015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not demeanour.

He's an ex-player not a coach.

One or two seasons with Melbourne Tigers SEABL isn't enough experience to coach an NBL side.

Clubs need to stop this silliness of hiring coaches wihtout the relevant experience. Didn't they all learn this after Heal's foray?

Reply #652624 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

I counter your point with Phil Smyth.

Reply #652625 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

and Heal got the Kings to the finals IIRMC

Reply #652626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are exceptions to every rule. Gaze isn't one of them when it comes to coaching.

Reply #652627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're a bad coach it doesn't matter what your demeanour is.

Reply #652628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Smyth got eventually found out after Adelaide's money ran dry. Also Smyth was smart to always consult Steve Breheny before every timeout. Gaze ignored Vickerman which is arrogant.

Reply #652629 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As I understand although Gaze is the goofy aww shucks lovable guy in public both he and his father could give big sprays behind closed doors (and Drewy was reported to have done that after the Adelaide game) so I'm not sure that would be an issue.

I think it would be more 1. tactics as Drewy saw what worked reasonably well under his father for 20+ seasons at the Tigers and 2. lack of actual coaching experience at least coaching men not under age kids teams.

A big problem is he never seemed to be too interested in coaching only taking it up at SEABL level five minutes before getting the Kings job and think the money was a pretty big factor in convincing him, reportedly $400K a year on a 3 year deal.

Whether he had much involvement in the putting together of the rosters I don't know but suspect he would've having such a long working relationship with JVG and the recruiting has left a lot to desired.

Reply #652630 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Demeanour" also refers to things like body language and facial expressions.

Folding arms and use of “closed body language”, scowling expressions, turning away from his team, all these things (and more) project a certain air that is not conducive to any level of teamwork.

As a result, he inspires precisely no confidence in his charges. Therefore, they won't work for him.

If you have any doubt, record him during a game. Watch only Gaze (edit if need be) and imagine your boss looking like that at work. How would it impact on your motivation and productivity?

Reply #652634 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Exactly what I've been saying. It's quite obvious when he gives up in games

Reply #652638 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I've read others on this forum saying the same thing... I've seen Gaze coaching juniors back at MSAC... coffee in hand, and as soon as practice starts he was pretty much the opposite to his public demeanor

Reply #652661 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

When he gets angry he still smirks. It looks very strange.

Reply #652687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly hear La nd A Gaze strip the paint off walls in the locker room. Publicly A Gaze is a sweet loveable guy. In basketball mode he swears like a navvy.
Vickerman left because he was showing up Gaze and He (Gaze ) didn't like it.
Lanard is equally as bad and Kendall the same. Doomed are the Kings.

Reply #652697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the story with Kendall? He gave up on bball early and now randomly appears as second assistant. He bailed on the sport but maybe realised it's hard making a dollar out there away from basketball.

Reply #652715 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

I think injuries were more the reason for Kendall having to retire. He wasn't the same player when he came back.

Reply #652988 | Report this post

Flow  
Years ago

Players make the coach at this level.. his issue is his evaluation of talent and how to put a team together.

Reply #652989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh the arm folding is critical isn't it. Don't tell Lindsay Gaze will you. He's never done it!!!
Flow if your think Gaze is selecting the team, think again.

Reply #652992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flow but JvG recruited and signed all players, not Gaze. Gaze is just the puppet.

Reply #653068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754