Anonymous
Years ago

Kings promised Blanchfield starting spot: Uluc

Fox Sports' Olgun Uluc has reported that the Kings promised Blanchfield a starting spot when he was signed. Hence he is playing as an undersized 4 (alongside an undersized 5!).

Topic #42017 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again, Uluc seems to have his 'sources', one would assume is Daniel Moldovan feeding him info? Isn't that the same 'source' as the Randle saga? Yes the Kings have a lot to answer to, but it seems as if this guy takes one side as gospel and believes agents over anyone else. I wouldn't be feeding this guy any info as it goes to print without the right of reply.
Good luck to him, he writes well about college hoops though.

Reply #652709 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He cites multiple sources within the team, so you're saying he's just making that up?

Reply #652711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good work by Uluc. The only decent NBL journalist now, hits the real issues not fluff pieces.

Aus media is a joke with hardly any heat on Gaze or JvG that's why every season there are characters doing ridiculous things because there is hardly any real scrutiny.

Reply #652713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He actually cites ELEVEN sources.

Reply #652714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Without the right of reply" ????

The Kings GM is literally quoted in the story, responding to the claims. This is as responsible and fair as it gets.

Reply #652735 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

If I am not mistaken Uluc used to live with Isaac Humphries, so wonder where his inside source is at the Kings. He is also the same guy that publicly announced he hadn't spoken to anyone ever at the 36ers during the Randle pump fest. There are only 8 teams in the NBL yet he only writes on what he is fed. I hope he gets better at his job. And yes Moldovan has him in his pocket.

Reply #652736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His fans won't see that Dome Rat, all they will see is "tough journalism" asking the "tough questions". If only they looked deeper into the info.

Reply #652746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie Hoopla is calling out Olgun online saying his article is mainly heresay. The will release something tonight according to twitter. This will be interesting. It's a perfect example of why you should get accounts fro both sides before releasing info (if that's what happened (again).

Reply #652756 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Did you want to actually refute anything of what was in the article, anon/Dome Rat, or do you just want to remain mysterious?

As for the OP... With the rep that JvG has, even though he's said that he never promised Vinnie anything, the way things are going atm and Gaze eluding to some mysterious reasons that the people in the media aren't aware of as to why they only went with two imports, can we really take him at his word?

Reply #652757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kings side denies the promised starting spot, but every club says this, going with the "training and effort dictates starters" line. But in the recruiting process, clubs certainly soft-promise or all-but-promise starting or rotation spots to win players. If they don't see it through, it may impact their future recruiting. Someone in Blanchfield's position wouldn't want to move to play off the bench.

That wouldn't be a huge problem as I don't know if he's really a SG anyway, but if Ellis is D-free and a weaker rebounder, they need more from PF or C. They have backed themselves into a bit of a corner unless they shift everyone up a spot.

Import
Newley
Blanchfield
Ellis
Import

But that'd mean canning Leslie or starting Cadee at PG or starting another big, etc. All of those either cost more or aren't ideal.

Reply #652759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Aussie Hoopla is calling out Olgun online saying his article is mainly heresay.
Seemed fairly heavily laden with JVG quotes to me, which would rule out "mainly hearsay".

When he cites the NBA/international scout (bit irrelevant, but anyway) it's labelled clearly.

What's Hoopla's angle? That JVG has sweet talked a version of events and they're won over? What isn't going to qualify as hearsay?

Reply #652761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure, Isaac. All I can say is we all all hear what they have to say tonight in the podcast. Wookie, I'd say that Aussie Hoopla don't agree with the "sources"'used and that the quotes were taken out of context. (This is just me speculating). On another note, I don't think the dust ever settled from the last controversial article about the Sixers and Randle (what ever happened with the "truth"?)

Bottom line is, the Kings need some work done badly.

Reply #652788 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

@wookie just saying Olgun has some bias in his stories when it involves the Kings . Also pointing out that he has publicly stated in the past that he hasn't even tried to get a quote to counter his agenda based articles.

Reply #652789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like JvG/Kings have Aussie Hoopla in their pocket. Can't wait for more JvG excuses!

Reply #652806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Aussie Hoopla want to hear from everyone involved in an unbiased fashion.

Reply #652825 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Will have to save opinions on what Aussie Hoopla motivation is until the podcast comes out... If it's a fluff piece that just gives JvG a soapbox to refute all statements and spin his own agenda without any discussion or cross examination, they're in his back pocket and they're just being nice to retain their access to the team... If he actually pushes JvG and takes a more balanced approach of questioning rather than accepting, then they get a bit more credibility...

@Dom Rat - was that an ongoing blanket statement from Olgun about countering his articles, or was it just the Randle situation that Adelaide fans are still so sensitive over?

Most journos have a bias or an allegiance in their articles, Boti was strongest amongst them... Not saying it's perfect, but when everyone is coming around to that opinion, it sort of backs up his side of the story...

So many problems stemming just from being shit at recruiting... If they promised it to Blanchfield and they're sticking to it, to the detriment of the team, and all parties are happy with that, I'm even more disappointed... So many other players sacrificing starting for the betterment of their team and actually getting results out of it... Sacrificing their points for other areas because that's what their team needs of them... If Lisch is behind wanting to play PG like has been rumoured, tough... He's not up to it... Bring in a proper PG... If Vinnie was promised a starting spot, even though everyone knew his more natural position was filled with Newls, and this is the motivation behind playing small ball, frigging TOUGH... Suck it up... I don't want a bench player dictating the makeup of the team... JvG wanted to "innovate" and bring an advanced small ball style of play to the NBL... It REALLY hasn't worked... Go out and get a proper bloody centre and STFU...

Reply #652860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Aussie Hoopla is posting here anonymously!

Reply #652862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Aussie Hoopla is posting here anonymously!

This.

Reply #652864 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

@wookie just stating I am challenged to trust a guy that is employed to cover basketball and in a story that involves the MVP not returning he didn't bother to call the club concerned. Instead he published distorted truths as facts from one of his few sources.

He then went on social media and bragged about how he had never contacted the 36ers for any story. That says more about him than anything else.

I hope he grows into a fantastic journalist but shows he is very young in his methods thus far.

Reply #652873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has an agent friend that feeds him the stories he wants written? (I was told this from a source)

Reply #652887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More than one agent.

Reply #652888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told by a source there's a lot of haters on here from Aussie Hoopla.

Reply #652889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's sketchy but he gets clicks. That's how journalism works now

Reply #652905 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Moldovan is Humphries agent who also happens to be an NBA player agent. Join the dots.

Reply #652910 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When you're writing stories based on the word of agents you're likely to end up with a slanted story, hence the Randle misstep.

In terms of this one, the Kings' issues are mostly cultural, stemming from the coach losing the players. That's the real story here - Gaze's poor handling of the team and management's failure to replace Vickerman with an experienced AC.

Focusing on recruiting is missing the point, any other NBL coach would have this team performing significantly better.

Reply #652936 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The coach has lost the players because JvG recruited the wrong coach... The coach is losing the players because he's not a good enough coach to work with the players that have been recruited... Luke you say, Paul, any other coach would love to have most of our players, well, maybe half, but it wasn't pieced together properly...

There's not just one problem that can be fixed to make things better... Management screwed up and refuse to change, the coach isn't up to scratch and has lost the playing group and several players are the wrong fit and/or not NBL quality...

Reply #652940 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The coach has lost the players because JvG recruited the wrong coach..."

Very true.

Reply #652944 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

management's failure to replace Vickerman with an experienced AC.

I wonder if getting another assistant coach with even bona fide head-coaching/championship experience would help as much as you think paul. I'm still a bit incredulous on that Kings' losing streak at the second half of last season.

Vickerman's credentials are as solid as any potential candidates that could be brought in this season. There were a few speculations as to why Vickerman couldn't help the GOAT. Whatever the truth is, it doesn't give me any confidence on that front.

I agree with your point though that any other NBL coach would have this current roster performing better. What has been on display so far just screams at me of ignored coaching fundamentals both strategic and on the training floor.

because JvG recruited the wrong coach...

Not if you look at it from a marketing perspective in 2016/17 Wookiee. Not sure in 2017/18 though...

Reply #652946 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, Front courts made up from Rookies will never make the cut in this league....it's a professional league....why do teams like Sydney persist on signing rookies and expect to win....Look at the last 20 NBL Championship winners, history speaks for itself and this goes for all sports. JVG has to take full responsibility, shocking decisions full stop. I have no idea what was going through his mind when putting together this team....makes no sense at all, which ever way you look at it.

Any other NBL coach would NOT have this team performing better....maybe a few players....this team is all WRONG and I'm not a Sydney supporter....

Reply #652955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is he fulfilling Moldovan's agenda, whatever that may be? Is he in his 'pocket?' A good journalist should speak with all teams and all agents, and report in an unbiased fashion. Is that what Olgun is doing (speaking with all teams and agents?)if not, he can't really defend his story as unbiased. I'm sure all teams, coaches and agents would talk with him if he actually reached out. Let's hope people a also as critical about our journos as they are about the game.

Reply #652963 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not if you look at it from a marketing perspective in 2016/17 Wookiee. Not sure in 2017/18 though...

Very true, I've been saying this as long as I've been saying the negative stuff, that the signing of Gaze as head coach, even in Sydney, immediately gave them that recognition and shared in his profile... That was the only saving grace from his hiring and was actually needed in this fickle city...

Any doubts were sort of absorbed into "Well, Vickerman is there", but little did we know how much Gaze would rely upon him or disregard him... Maybe it's just me going through the Harry Potter books again, but Gaze reminds me a lot of Cornelius Fudge... Not really up to the task initially, out of his depth, so he relies upon Dumbledore, until as time goes on, he believes his own hype that thinks he doesn't need that crutch anymore... It was clear during the games that Gaze was off on his own trip and seemed to brush DV off at times...

So enter this season... DV is back off to Melbourne, Shawn Dennis is in Japan, and we're stuck with a 2nd year coach who had a very rough end to his first season... They had their grace period, gave fans a taste of what winning was like and then back to their old ways...

You know what is the best marketing of all? WINNING. Especially in Sydney... Gaze was great to build the profile up again, was always charming at press conferences, even when we lost he always gave great snippets...

It doesn't look like this team is built to win...

JVG has to take full responsibility, shocking decisions full stop. I have no idea what was going through his mind when putting together this team....makes no sense at all, which ever way you look at it.

He does, and during tonights AussieHoopla said the plan was to bring in a much higher calibre impot big around now, but that got nixed due to the Lisch situation, but hopefully that will come in soon... Still doesn't explain getting Leslie in over a proper PG though...

Reply #652974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If only Olgun interviewed JVG the same way. A lot of what he said made sense. It also brings some questions about other articles written and the 'sauces' sources used.

Reply #652975 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The host started the JVG interview with a two-minute apologia before even getting to the questions, and we're holding this up as the gold standard of unbiased journalism? Are you people serious? Nothing JVG said ever got a rebuttal, he was just given a platform to say whatever incoherent thing he wanted while the host intermittently jumped in to help with the excuse-making.

"We always intended to bring in a third import." So they've been planning on sacking one of their 11 players the whole time? Is this why Garlepp hasn't been playing? Or is he just making this up because he thinks admitting the truth makes him look even worse?

"You can't afford to pay players like Ware, Boone and Cotton for a full season." I guess they're getting sacked in a couple of weeks then?

"We got Kendle because he was available quickly, and he's only here for eight weeks while Lisch recovers." You can find someone better than Kendle in a lot less than eight weeks.

"Oh but we couldn't do better than Kendle because to bring someone in you have to let someone go." LISCH IS INJURED. Your original plan was apparently to bring in a third import about now anyway and you still signed eleven players.

JVG reiterated the story about how they told Garlepp pre-season they'd be recruiting players above him and he'd see less court time, which still doesn't explain why significantly inferior players are getting more minutes. If the players getting more minutes were better, as was the plan, nobody would be asking the question.

"Singh is only a third-string centre." You can't have a third-string centre unless you have three centres.

And the totally-unbiased-I-swear host interrupts with another minutes-long apologia. UNBIASED JOURNALISM!

"As seen in Gaze's press conferences, when we're not good enough we say we're not good enough." I've seen Gaze blame almost everyone except himself.

And now he breaks down the season: up big in Adelaide for much of the game, got unlucky and lost. Essentially a win because they dominated for so long. Down big in NZ, but made a comeback and got unlucky and lost. Essentially a win because it came down to the final shot. That's a fantastic double standard there.

"Kevin Lisch is our only good defender, so you can't blame us for being bad defensively while he's injured." Have you considered signing better players?

Host points out that Perth also lost on the weekend, so Sydney aren't that bad. UNBIASED JOURNALISM!

"I keep saying Melbourne are the best team since the 2007 Bullets." Yeah, the 2007 Bullets GM must be a pretty awesome guy. Who was that again?

Host finishes up by praising JVG. UNBIASED JOURNALISM!

A good journalist should speak with all teams and all agents, and report in an unbiased fashion. Is that what Olgun is doing (speaking with all teams and agents?)
WTF do other teams have to do with the interior workings of the Sydney Kings?

Reply #652984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic JvG.

He started lying when the Bullets were going down at the end.

Now he's lying about what he planned for the Kings.

Classic how he quotes 2007 Bullets as being the gold standard because it was his team. Not even close, Kings and Tigers owned that period.

This guy is an egomaniac.

Reply #652985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I took it that Singh was a rostered DP, that would be moved back when the third import came in. Singh's salary doesn't count on the cap.

Neither of the articles were unbiased, but what it did do was address some questions from the open letter. If you think the article was good journalism, you're dreaming.

Reply #652993 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's too old to be a DP.

Reply #652994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754