WookieE
Years ago

Jeff Van Groningen - All spin, no ding

Ok, so with JvG's recent Aussie Hoopla podcast, "addressing" fan concerns from the Open Letter, I thought it might be easier to group all that related chatter under the one banner, even though JvG has his stink over all the other issues for the Kings, there are some specific podcast related spin that is just super frustrating...

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/kings-gm-jeff-van-groningen-answers-outraged-fans-after-30-point-thrashing/

Couple of issues off the top of my head...

- He's all spin and full of shit... This was just a platform for Jeff to get happy clapped with (as others have mentioned elsewhere) no actual rebuttal or questioning of his spin... If anything, the podcaster just continually made more excuses for him...

- As koberulz pointed out elsewhere, if they were always planning on getting a third import around now, why still sign 11 players?

- Singh wouldn't have this criticism if he was a white guy his size...
Bullshit and the insinuation that Jeff put that out there is insulting... He's too old for a DP spot which is the level that he is, a project level player, but he's using a full roster spot and our front line is so weak...

- Tommy knew it was going to be like this and he was ok with it because it's his last season...
He knew that players like Pineau and Singh would be getting minutes and he would be getting DNPs? Spin...

- No discussion of how there was a lack of anything in regards to fixing last seasons problems (especially rebounding) even though they were planning on saving their $$$ for a higher quality import...

- Lack of import PG was spun out of the way without any real discussion, with the assumption that we need to bring in a Cotton/Ware level type PG "but we have Lisch" is all well and good, but he is NOT A PROPER PG and THAT is the skillset that we need... Facilitating, hard nosed playmaking guard that if Lisch DID go down, we would not have a huge gaping frigging hole in our backcourt... The fact that Leslie's spot could have been taken up with a more role playing guard like this wasn't even brought up... "But Lisch won the league MVP as an import guard, so he's more than fine". Bollocks.

Anything I missed?

Topic #42028 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

The 'we didn't run out of money, we have a budget' spiel makes no sense. It's literally 'no, we haven't hit our limit on spending because we have a limit on spending'.

I can only assume the Anons holding this up as a prime example of unbiased journalism were on the podcast.

Reply #652997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Dane's 6-8 mins per game is having a huge impact on Tommy? Dane actually is a player you want to develop, so you can start blooding a young core of Aussie's. Singh will be moved out of rotation when the import arrives.
Could they find minutes for Garlepp? Yes, theynstill could, but blaming Pineau is not your answer.

Reply #652998 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I'm not blaming Pineau and I actually agree that we should be blooding young talent, I'm blaming his dad's ex-teammate... Pineau and Singh are getting minutes over an experienced player and we're losing games...

It's great that we have young talent coming through (even though they lowballed and lost a fantastic local talent that actually had developed really well in a short amount of time in Moller, but it's ok for an ex-teammates son?) but it would be better to do that with an EXPERIENCED BIG in the middle taking the majority of the minutes... you don't through a bunch of kids in against experienced NBL frontlines, it's just stupid...

Reply #653002 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Facilitating, hard nosed playmaking guard that if Lisch DID go down, we would not have a huge gaping frigging hole in our backcourt..."

There was no need to cover that at the start of the season if they were leaving an import spot free (selecting the right replacement is another matter).

After three games the Kings were averaging 95ppg at 48%, with 61 assists to 32 turnovers. The teams they played are giving up an average of 86ppg at 46%.

Anyone who thinks the issue before Lisch's injury was not having an import PG running the offence wasn't watching closely enough.

Reply #653006 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was no need to cover that at the start of the season if they were leaving an import spot free (selecting the right replacement is another matter).
They were leaving it free for a big. Not to cover an injury.

If you believe JVG, anyway.

Reply #653007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Singh is copping a bit criticism but he's actually shown more than Humphries, re jvg he's the spin King of the world, maybe third behind Donald and Malcom. Lol :)))

Reply #653008 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well Kobes, they used it to cover Lisch's injury, albeit poorly.

Reply #653009 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Which wasn't the plan (apparently), so yes, they did need to cover that at the start of the year. If they had, they'd be able to go out and get the big they were always planning on getting. Instead, they're stuck with Kendle for eight weeks, and have to wait until then to bring the big in.

Not to mention the time it takes for the import to get here on his flying pig.

Reply #653010 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they had the cover at the start of the year they wouldn't be able to get another import big because they would already have had three imports.

Reply #653013 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not if the cover was in place of Leslie.

Whether you believe JVG or not just alters how they screwed it up, there's no version of events that actually makes him look competent.

Reply #653015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The recruiting is a red herring the Fox Sports article swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Give this team to Joey Wright or Rob Beveridge and they would be very dangerous. The only major issue has been the recruiting of Gaze as coach, as Wookiee pointed out.

Reply #653018 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

hang on.

Rewind.

JVG said the criticism of Singh was racist?

He's jumped the shark....

Reply #653023 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

*mutes $%$% Wayne $%$%*

@Paul... I'm looking close enough to notice that the team looks like they couldn't organise a threesome at a swingers party... The difference in the numbers you're throwing around are negligible and not taking into account that the teams that they've played so far have included Adelaide twice and an uncharacteristically defence-deficient Hawks...

Numbers don't tell the story of how disorganised they are... Players have scored points and the pass before them scoring has been attributed to that player as an assist, but there's a difference between being an organised TEAM and just accumulating stats...

What are the stats on how many points are being scored on the Kings? Even when Lisch was on the team, how many points did he and his fellow guards allow to be scored past them in the paint? How does our backcourt stack up against other backcourts?

Just because they are currently making their shots better than they did at the end of last season, doesn't prove anything...

Reply #653025 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Agree Paul

Cadee is down 5ppg on recent years due to how he is being used

Newley and Blanchfield are up and down athletes who should be using their pace on the break.

Leslie and Elise are more than capable in their positions.

Singh is stats wise the best centre on the team , and you don't necessarily need a monster centre to have success. Matt Knight has anchored the Wildcats at 6'8 for most of their court time.

No team should be reliant on a 19 year old rookie big, I am guessing that they have over paid in this spot and that is damaging their flexibility.

It looks like they have recruited a fast paced flowing team that are being forced to run half court sets. For those saying that they have signed 11 so how do they get a 3rd import my guess is that as there is no salary cap anymore you can sign however many players you like as long as you only suit 11.

Reply #653027 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

JVG said the criticism of Singh was racist?

He's jumped the shark....

I'm paraphrasing here, but to save people using that god-awful media player that AussieHoopla uses that doesn't have a volume or a time marker, JvG said that if Singh was an Aussie big, of Caucasian appearance with his size and hands the size of buckets that walked in after only picking up the game half a decade ago, teams would give him a chance...

So to me, that implies the criticism of Singh is race-based, not talent based... Nor the fact that he's at DP level, but not DP age, which is probably a huge factor in NONE of the other teams showing an actual interest in him after the NBL Combine...

Not if the cover was in place of Leslie.

Bingo... Plus there is always Daly that can be promoted in the meantime that could provide extra cover... JvG eluded to this being an option and Daly has since gotten as many minutes as Kendle last weekend and was utilised before him off the bench in the last game if I recall?

Leslie is surplus to requirements if you use the rest of your team properly and don't have quality local bigs just sitting at home watching the games on the telly...

Reply #653028 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So to me, that implies the criticism of Singh is race-based, not talent based
I think the angle he was going for was 'people forget he counts as a local, they need to stop having import expectations'.

But the difference between Singh and a true local is that the local is much more likely to be there next year.

Reply #653030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie, that's a bogus cop out saying Pineau's dad gives him NBl minutes. If that was the case, Dane would have played a lot more in the Adelaide blowout. Not many good Aussie bigs available, and he is one worth developing. He has a very good J and needs to continue developing his offensive game.

Reply #653041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Furthermore, 6-8 mins a game for a 9th man is hardly a stretch for Pineau, (Thoseby10th Singh 11th).
Stop the crap conspiracy theory.

Reply #653042 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think teams hold onto a spare import spot if they suspect their roster without it might be enough. So, they elevate a DP and wait to see what they need or who gets injured. Unfortunately, they have a need and suffered an injury, then rushed a replacement that doesn't really solve either.

Seems to me they gambled on Humphries being better than he is, and Ellis being serviceable on the boards. In those cases, Singh is probably handy as a reserve. He's looked OK to me, and he's huge - makes Ogilvy look small.

I was at the Kings-Hawks game and they looked good there, but that appears to have been an aberration.

Reply #653049 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Ok, Mrs Pineau... Not saying his old man gets him minutes, just that it helped get him signed... JvG, Gaze, Copes, now Bradtke... I'm not the only one seeing patterns...

Like in the Foxsports article and like you say, why, when all was lost, did they not just chuck our young guys in to give them more experience? It would be fine if we had one project-level big and some more experience, but we've got at least three... taking up full roster spots...

Having an import spot spare is obviously a great idea, if you recruit properly in the first place... Which they didn't...

Not sure how much of that win against the Hawks was the Kings playing good or the Hawks still being shook from Perth game and playing bad...

Reply #653051 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

JVG "There's been a disturbance in the kitchen"

Reply #653054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee , on the money as always!!! The jvg, Tigers, Cadee connections is jobs for the boys.

Reply #653059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, Wookie
Give me a young development 4 other than Dane they could have gone with?

Reply #653070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch is a SG not a PG. JvG thinks he's smart and we're all dumb. Finally he is getting a reality check.

Reply #653071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A young development 4 you ask for, maybe you should get out with members and listen. They had a 6ft 10 guy last year who could play 3,4 and probably in this league pinch hit at the 5 and in last seabl season averaged 11 boards and just under 20 points. They low balled him and he went south and had offers from other clubs. Dreadlocks guy Moller.

Reply #653074 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Currently listening and shaking my head so hard.

Leaving an import spot to sign them later sounds long sighted on the surface but really it is so short sighted.

His 3 examples of late signings, Cotton, Ware and Boone, were all in preseason this year. hmmm wonder why the teams did that..

Also although Ware and Boone are great players and were great additions, Melbourne didnt make playoffs last season.

Talk about head in the sand.

Reply #653075 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Thank you smart Anon... The perfect example of already starting to develop a young big and have him already improve and show his potential, plus he's a local kid and a great story to build on... But did they follow through? No...

Also, an even better option would have been Venky Jois... I mentioned him early on and then we hear that he could have been an option... Not a great shot maybe, but all hustle, and he's leading his league in rebounds at 11rpg isn't he? Hmm...

Leaving an import spot to sign them later sounds long sighted on the surface but really it is so short sighted.

His 3 examples of late signings, Cotton, Ware and Boone, were all in preseason this year. hmmm wonder why the teams did that..

Also although Ware and Boone are great players and were great additions, Melbourne didnt make playoffs last season.

Exactly... If they would have filled some of the glaring holes, it might not have been so bad... If Aussie Hoopla would have been anything other than a fluffer, they might have thought to bring up that about United, or to ask Jeff why a single player made such a big difference to Perth, maybe it could have been that they had all the other bases covered (including playing defence!) but just needed to fill a big gap in scoring...

Reply #653078 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Wow! Someone's off their $%@%$ meds.

Reply #653080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They never lowballed Moller. He took to long to make his mind up and was snaffled up by United.

Reply #653086 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

There's no @ its all $%, don't start putting symbols into people's mouth Thunder Jam!

Whatever AH/Dan Boyce tried to do with the interview, it has become a PR platform for JVG by failing to ask some clarifying questions and failing to refrain from voicing your opinion as the host.

Its not that difficult to avoid stepping on toes by letting them know in advance that you are going to ask some tough questions. If they refuse the interview or particular question, you can also relay that fact to your audience without attaching your view.

Did the interview take place after Uluc's piece? If so, there is not much new information there for the non 'happy clappers'.

Reply #653091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Moller took to long to make decisions how could United snap him up. He was very keen on staying and got on great Gaze and Copeland, Vickerman was professional and Moller got on well with him as well. Simple decision, if anything jvg was slow and didn't realise Moller had a few offers on the table.

Reply #653101 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Singh has shown skills and talent. He sets good picks, has way better touch than Humphries has international experience. I think the Kings should actually start him at the Pivot. Having 6-7 6-8 Perry Ellis who is actually a 3 basically playing center is just not going to cut it. If Sigh played 20 minutes a game he would give you 7 and 7 maybe block a shot or 2. I like his upside.

Reply #653109 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@Steve, yup, exactly... and it's not like you have to go hard at him to potentially burn any bridges either, but going in, it was clear what information there should have been to pull out of the interview and not to let him get away with...

The interview took place after Olgun's interview was released (they even referenced it at one point), so there was plenty of other information available for the interviewer to use and seek clarification on as well...

I don't get how Moller taking too long would allow Melbourne to snap him up and not the Kings?

Reply #653117 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Should've tried for Randle. Would suit Sydney to a t. Should kept Maric too.
Then go for an import big. At the risk of becoming Adelaide mk2 Jacobsen would've been worth a shot.

Reply #653179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller wouldnt commit to the KIngs. United made an offer he was happy with and followed a COACH.

Reply #653181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller didn't commit because they low balled him, why would he commit for a lot less money.

Reply #653182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Gaze actually said it in interview and how sad he was to lose him. That's a low ball.

Reply #653183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Moller is a true 4? Lmao. Has to be a 3.
And Wookie, now I know you're off the mark! Venky? Yeah I'm sure he was a big available for minimum. Do you actually know what his asking price was? #conspiracy hahahaha

Reply #653190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan Boyce podcast interview with JVG was a waste of time. He let the perfect opportunity to use the Open letter writer's and the Kings FB anger question as an excuse to ask JVG direct straight forward questions. But instead acknowledge he was a kings fan then had worthless conversation like
they are mates allowing JVG to spin so much Bull Sh%t I nearly vomited!!

After that waste of 40+ minutes the Kings fans will feel nothing will change and the team will continue to lose games and linger at the bottom of the ladder.

Total waste of an interview!!

Reply #653192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JvG wouldn't go ahead with the interview unless he had assurances re: line of questioning. He wasn't born yesterday.

Reply #653195 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

No idea what Jois' asking price was, but if they cut and paid Tommy out like they should have if they weren't going to use him, then that's a decent chunk of change... They avoid the uproar of the fans and the bad publicity that has stemmed from it...

I've said it before, but...

Sanders* / Daly
Lisch / Cadee
Newls / Blanchfield
Ellis* / Jois
Maric / Humphries

and then add your project big like Pineau or Singh... Probably Dane, because at least his salary would go towards the minimum 4 player contract $ requirement and like has been said elsewhere, more chance he will be around next season, compared to Singh...

Sanders wouldn't have been expensive but helps out a lot with the defensive side of things and ball handling... Still can't shoot from outside, but apart from shot clock violations, with teh team above, do you really need him to shoot from outside?

Daly is that promoted DP that people wanted, and is a pretty good project from how he played in the pre-season...

Lisch is freed up to his more natural spot and the Sanders, the pressure is off Cadee to defend any of teh better guards on opposition teams and frees him up to play his more natural game, which is NOT as a defensive powerhouse...

Newls is Newls, and if they HAD to have Blanchfield, it frees up newls to get more rest and play at his faster pace for longer throughout the season and each individual game if he's not required to play 33+mpg... Blanchfield can always fill in at SG or PF if they go small or there's foul trouble, but at least he's not starting and playing significant minutes out of position...

Ellis is gonna Ellis... With this team around him it takes the pressure off of him to do things that aren't in his natural game and still makes the most of his usually very good FG%

Jois would bring a hell of a lot of hustle and energy and we wouldn't be in this rebounding hole... using what $$$ Tommy would have been on (since he got a contract upgrade last time) would surely have gone a long way to paying for his asking price and it fills a pretty integral part of the puzzle...

They should have kept Maric from the start, those that really understand what he has brought and can bring to the team would get it, and would have been an awesome mentor for Isaac... banging against him every day in training would have been much better value than getting Bradtke up for a few days to say "this is how you rebound gooderer" and it takes the pressure off of Isaac to HAVE to perform at a higher level than he is at, but no doubt getting him minutes to prove himself...

Reply #653204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's that Jesse Sanders love again.

Reply #653207 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Love Jesse Sanders

Reply #653233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the Kings are posting the interview on their social media, you know you probably haven't asked tough enough questions.

Reminds me of years ago when the 36ers were in a hole and the admin then did a bit of a soft and fluffy Q&A to placate fans.

Reply #653237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm Jeff Van Groningen AMA!

Reply #653239 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

There's that Jesse Sanders love again.

24/7, baby!

Reply #653244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering who Van Groningen's interview was with - a guy who has zero credibility - I paid no attention nor listened to it. Just a puff piece done with a blogger desperate for relevance. Complete waste of time.

At the end of the day, Van Groningen can throw around all the spin and BS he likes. It’s the results that count. So far, they are below the .500 mark during his tenure. They have lost 13 of their past 17 games. They have dressed something like 25 or 26 players in the past season and a bit. If the losing continues, none of the spin will matter. The Kings will be a disaster, and as the self-proclaimed architect of it all, he will be to blame.

Reply #653252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tell us about Rampart!

Reply #653260 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

No Curb Your Enthusiasm fans in this thread. Disappointing

Reply #653277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us about the Bullets championship trip to Vegas. #casinochips

Reply #653286 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Tell us why you signed a rebounding coach who has just had a knee replacement

Reply #653287 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you need your old knees to coach?

Reply #653291 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

If Drewey is going to be the first casualty, I hope Van WrongAgain is close behind for his poor decisions and inability to admit he screwed up.

If Drewey and any replacement coach can't turn things around quickly then you'd want to think that the owner has the light-bulb moment to get rid of JvG rather than just take the easy way out and fold the franchise.

Reply #653314 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

The thing is though, if Gaze IS a casualty, who is there to replace him? People have thrown McLeod around, but what's he been doing since being assistant in Cairns? I didn't pay much attention to him as a head coach, but he really didn't strike me as the style of coach that the Kings would need?

Reply #653350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been very critical of the Kings but gaze should stay, he's popular and a good PR man, just get him some good help who's humble and smart enough to make it look like Gaze is coaching but behind the scenes the assistant has a lot pull, even just before they go into a time out. Jvg should be punted though, brings nothing. All I've seen from Gordie over the years he could do this, but they got recruit properly not how the team was assembled, there is a good crop of young coaches out there worth speaking to, go through the seabl and NZ basketball coaches and find one, if things start to get on track when Gaze times up move him to top spot.

Reply #653363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings need to get over the obsession with hype and gimmicks as they have always done, and start concentrating on just winning basketball games.

Perth has the best club, best crowd, they are built on a low fuss, low hype team that just wins.

They dont waste half the season for a hyped up NBA big man, they sign a guy like Cooke or McKay from day 1, last season Boone came in late, Melb missed the playoffs, guys like Jacobsen, Egwu, Holyfield, McKay were there for the whole reason and playing a somewhat important role helping out guys like Hodgson, Jawai, Ogilvy, Brandt, and guess what they all played playoffs. Kings big name Josh Powell from last season, was very talented, but didnt work out, and guess what they missed the playoffs. So big names and NBA on the resume isnt everything.

They dont put all the eggs in the basket of a 19 year old, who will likely be someday good, but at the moment is more hype than production, they sign a guy like Angus Brandt. And if you are going to go down the Humphries path, a. get him signed for more than 1 season, b. play him more than they currently are, atleast 20 mins a game, atleast fans will see his talent at times and know he is 19 and see what the kings are trying to acheive, even if it doesnt quite turn out.

They dont try a gimmick of small ball, they field a balanced line up.

They dont sign gimmick coaches like Andrew Gaze, who may some day be ok, but is very green right now, they go for experienced, less hyped up coaches that can coach ala Gleeson, Bevo, even guys like Scott Fisher who is a club legend did a better job.

Perth have the template, many teams such as Hawks, Breakers, 36ers, seem to follow along simimilar lines, and guess what they have more success than the Kings do most seasons.

Reply #653365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"just get him some good help who's humble and smart enough to make it look like Gaze is coaching but behind the scenes the assistant has a lot pull,"
Yes good idea they had one and he left because Gaze wasn't happy with being shown up.

Reply #653369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gordgian Kings side played uncompromising winning basketball, won a three peat, would've won 4 had Roland Roberts hadn't got injured and there crowds were very poor, Sydney need razzmatazz as well as winning.

Reply #653385 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup, all very key points in the last couple of posts... We had an amazing assistant last season, but Gaze was obviously not listening to him and actually looked to rebuff him at times late in the season, so while it sounds like a great idea to get an experienced coach behind the scenes to ghost-coach the team, Gaze has got to accept it... Look who they signed as an assistant to replace Vickerman this season... Someone who would never overrule or get the credit for any wins...

Maybe Gaze would be more open to the idea now after such a shit start to the season and obviously needing the help, but do you think he would be as happy with "so-and-so joins as an assistant and Kings start to win again! bravo, so-and-so!" as much as "it's obviously Vickerman who is coaching, look how well they're going! Gaze is obviously the puppet!" A coincidence the slide coincided with Gaze seeming to ignore DV more and more?

And yes, the Goorjian era Kings experienced a drop in average attendance each year they won a championship, BUT with each championship, it was said that they engaged the community less and less... I agree with the sentiment that just winning isn't enough, Kings fans need a bit of flash as well, but winning WOULD be a great start...

Reply #653635 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Still don't see much sign of improvement in the team. One good performance from Tyler, and Randle’s quality in general, doesn’t change my mind that JvG and AG need to go.

Reply #660099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the Kings were one game short off finals last season, the neucleous of the team was there, Blanchfield has added nothing so far, Humphries just starting to play ok but Maric should've stayed. The best point guard available before season started should've been added and Ellis is a good fit with Garlepp as back up four. Moller should've been kept on as back up three and Cadee and Lisch sharing the point and two guard. Still would've left one spot open for a quality scorer if required. To many changes for early success. Jvg should probably bare the blame for most this as he claims he puts the team together but Gaze should've had his view heard if he's not happy with the selections.

Reply #660115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is the equivalent of Adnam. Streaky shooter but not NBL material. Humphries can be a star in the future for sure.
JVG is solely responsible for losing Moller. The Kings simply stuffed him around with making a quick decision on his signing.
Lisch is seriously a great player but getting old. Yet another JVG 'coup' that failed. Newley is back in Australia for a good reason. Passed it in the EU and questionable at the NBL level now.
The amazing assistant (Vickerman) left because he showed up Gaze's inadequacies.
The Tigers nepotism deserves a Royal commission honestly.
"Gaze should stay because he's popular" What Utter Bullshit, Is that you JVG? Get a popular coach who can coach rather than recruit the best Ozzie player EVER that can't even coach kids or SEABL.

Reply #660119 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Blast from the past thread

Reply #885588 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Nice bump.

Reply #885601 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Lot truth in those previous posts.

Reply #885633 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Two years ago

Ahhh Groundhog Day... Very happy for the 36ers fans, but still a long way to go by the sounds of it...

Reply #885718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754