Pennywise
Years ago

Rebuilding the Kings (again) - What has to be done?

Goodbye to Jeff and goodbye to Gaze unfortunately.

look at a coach with experience, perhaps someone who has been around the ropes in the NBL for a while now.

Keep Cadee, Lisch, Newley, Blanchfield and Humphries, Pineau. Newley off the bench next year to add depth to the bench

find players that have been in the system for imports. (Loughton and Trice gettable)

perhaps a roster that looks similar to this?

PG: Travis Trice/Jason Cadee
SG: Kevin Lisch/Import SG/Adam Thosby
SF: Todd Blanchfield/Brad Newley
PF: Alex Loughton/Dane Pineau
C: Jameel Mckay/Isaac Humpries

thoughts?

Topic #42032 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put this in any of the other 17 Kings threads.

Reply #653102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You are not going to convince many people by wanting to recruit and start Loughton. Why not focus on what they should do right now?

Why didn't they keep or lowball Maric? Wasn't he part of their good start to 2016/17?

Reply #653103 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Blanchfield ahead of Newley?
Loughton as starter?

You must be a Kings Hater wanting more of the same misery for the Violets.

Reply #653105 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Honestly, I would not retain anyone but Newley, Lisch and Todd Blanchfield

Gaze is an all-time great and I do not think he is the worst coach ever. I just don't get why the assembled the worst team in the NBL and then Gaze complains about the Kings being the worse team in the NBL. It is his and JVG's fault.

They went to Summer League Copeland and Gaze to scout for this season. Underwhelming in their import acquisition.

Treat a legend of the club Garlepp like crap and assemble the worst Australian talent. I know people like Humphries I just think he is very average. Thoseby come on man seriously we may as well get Daniel Joyce lol.

Reply #653107 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

buh bow... I agree with Isaac, now isn't the time for this, plenty that can be done to fix their situation now... Even Mr Glass Half-Empty here isn't ready for this thread...

Reply #653112 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

The Imports they picked up are solid in their own right, they just don't make sense with the make up of the team. If they had a solid point and a defensive / rebounding type upfront they would be good pick ups. But they don't..... and they stink.

Reply #653113 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Dave it is painful to watch the Kings this year. Lets get Homicide out of the commentary box and on the court lol.

Reply #653115 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Nick Marvin

Reply #653116 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Vote no to Loughton I reckon.
Don't bring a bench import in behind Lisch. Use that spot to retain Perry Ellis.

Reply #653122 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Honestly don't understand what people see in Blanchfield - he's been so disappointing the past couple of seasons (probably ever since winning MIP in 2015)

Reply #653123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin isn't a basketball GM (just the business side), so how would he be able to recruit and choose players?

Reply #653132 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Marvin was involved in player recruitment.

Reply #653135 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It all means nothing if they don't change their coaches ASAP

Reply #653140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto the contracts etc. yes, not player talent though.

When he first came to the Wildcats he had zero basketball knowledge, didn't even know the basic rules. So he isn't a player recruiting GM like JvG is. Even though at this point it seems like anyone could do a better job than Vanwrongagain.

Reply #653142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze will go before JvG. JvG is the master of survival. He will do anything before getting the sack himself.

Reply #653143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Homicide said.. Sack all the players and start over! He forgot to include JVG, Gaze and his coaching staff.

I guarantee there wont be another open letter asking for them to return!

Reply #653193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Goodbye to Jeff and goodbye to Gaze unfortunately."
Unfortunately? Why is that even mentioned in the topic?
No. Won't happen. The owners conned by JVG will never admit it. Hopefully Jeff is outta cntract at season's end, otherwise another KIngs crap season again next year.

Reply #653198 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Gaze may not be the problem. I'm sure JVG has a lot to do with the current issues at the Kings, namely roster imbalance (I know, nobody else has noticed this. Aren't you glad I'm bringing it to your attention???).

The Kings can't do much to change their Aussie talent at this stage of the season. There aren't many options available. Isaac and Wookiee (I think) have both been on the Maric train for a while, and I think that would be a sensible option for an Aussie talent change.

They are pretty much stuck with Cadee, Thoseby, Newley, Blanchfield, Pineau, Garlepp and Humphries. The options really lie with their imports and Singh, or disposing of Garlepp. I think everyone agrees they should do this if they won't play him, yes?

Lisch seems obvious to be the import they should keep. It also seems obvious they need a starting PG and a rebounding 4 or 5. Blanchfield can and should play some minutes at 4, but is really a 3, with the potential to play some 2.

I'm not really taking Kendle into consideration, because I think his signing is an aberration, and he's only a replacement for Lisch, so he's actually interchangeable with Lisch for the purpose of this argument. I definitely wouldn't consider keeping him after Lisch's return, if I were Kings management.

Disposing of Leslie and Garlepp seems to be the best option, to me, if they refuse to play Garlepp. That way, they could look like this:

Import PG/Cadee/Lisch
Lisch/Cadee/Blanchfield/Thoseby
Newley/Blanchfield/Ellis
Ellis/Pineau/Blanchfield
Import C (or Maric)/Humphries/Singh

I'm not arguing so much about who should start in some of those positions, more that this represents a better depth chart than what they currently throw on the floor.

This allows them to continue to develop the young talents of Thoseby, Pineau and Humphries, and to see if Singh can produce anything at this level.

Give them a lineup like that, then give Gaze the rest of the season to see if he can get something out of them. If he can't, show him the door.

This is nothing against either Leslie or Garlepp. I've never really liked Garlepp all that much, but I do think the way he's been treated this year is abominable, and the Kings should just cut him. Leslie is a very capable player, just not what the Kings need.

Reply #653269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch isn't an import. Need to rethink your equation there.

Reply #653270 | Report this post

Dr. X  
Years ago

Veale is potentially clinically insane

Reply #653465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all a rouse by JvG to make it seem like someone is dumber than him.

Reply #653466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne Veale could you elaborate some more?

Reply #653477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is something seriously wrong with all this love for Tommy $%$%ing Garlepp. What is the reason? I think that part of it is racism. Is Garlepp an Irish name? Is Garlepp Irish-Australian?

Yes. That's exactly it. You're so perceptive.

Reply #653482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man if only the Kings hadn't of hired JvG the Dutch-Australian. Almost as useless as Garlepp the Irish-Australian. We all know Dutch-Australians make the worst GMs just as Irish-Australians are the worst players, who are only food at garnering sympathy from fans.

Reply #653483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings should be chasing Mathew Nielson, Kings champion and team captain of winning side, he's even making Gleeson look good. The development of players at Perth is top rate exactly what Kings need.

MATHEW NIELSON, go for it Kings starting next season.

Reply #653499 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Why would Mielson take that kings job??

Doesn;t need the money, has a sweet gig for a stable franchise! If Gleeson ever gets the chop the Perth gig is his!

The Perth coaching gig is by far and away the best in Australia so why leave if your 1 step away from it.

Reply #653549 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

There are only 8 teams. Almost every assistant coach ready to take the next step will jump at the chance if offered. No matter how poor the team is.

Gleeson doesn't look like he'll leave anytime soon.

Reply #653559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings should be chasing Mathew Nielson, Kings champion and team captain of winning side, he's even making Gleeson look good.

As much as I don't rate Gleeson this is hilarious.

Reply #653608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^

You got no idea, Neilson has been a great player in Australia and Europe, great assistant at the cats and ex Kings winning captain.

Reply #653639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great player, and now an assitant coach. Not sure what his playing days have to do with coaching prowess. Cite what he has done to make Gleeson look good? Thanks.

Reply #653647 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree on the Matty call (something else I've been talking about for too long) and have never really settled on him in red, it just doesn't look natural...

Reply #653782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754