Dome Rat
Years ago

Carrera cleared to play

www.basketball.com.au

This is the site where the NBL are planting their news and rumours it seems.

No Foul > 2 games suspension > 1 game for an early plea > nothing to see here we didn't mean it

Good job , good effort

Topic #42034 | Report this topic

snooch  
Years ago

So can someone confirm, were the refs right or wrong and should or shouldn't they be suspended?

Reply #653128 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think no suspension is the right decision, but the way it's come about is farcical.

Reply #653131 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson should be absolutely shitting himself right about now.

Reply #653134 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

lol, bush league farken...

Reply #653137 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm ok with this not costing him a game.

Need to be careful when it's an intentional strike / attempted strike and not remotely a basketball play, but in this case it was relatively minor. (Not sure how they assessed the contact as being "medium impact" in the first place)

Reply #653138 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

hahahahah I mean you know, but.... hahahahahaha oh my

CT - if i was DJ i'd be calling in sick to work!

Reply #653139 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think DJ's got much to worry about hopefully Carrera survives that flying elbow from Childress coming his way!

Reply #653141 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha oh shit! I FORGOT ABOUT CHILDRESS!

ELBOW ON ELBOW ACTION.

Oh man. i. can. not. wait. for. Friday.

Reply #653144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently he used Kyle Adnam as a character reference so thats all the league needed to hear to set him free!

Reply #653145 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They called Waleed and the prime minister and apparently Carrera does a lot in the community

Reply #653147 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

hahahaha I just saw the ghost of Johnny Cochran leaving the fish tank.

Reply #653148 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

But good to see Carrera get off he brings a lot of toughness to the Taipans and no one wants to see another flogging like last time. Play ball!

Has my pre-season prediction of him giving Fearney a head butt in training happened yet? ;)

Reply #653149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, can we sticky this thread? It won't be the last "Carrera suspended" incident we discuss this year

Reply #653151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm ok with this not costing him a game.

Need to be careful when it's an intentional strike / attempted strike and not remotely a basketball play, but in this case it was relatively minor. (Not sure how they assessed the contact as being "medium impact" in the first place)

^^^^^^100% this.

Reply #653155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he was carelessly trying to punch Cooke Jr and had to be held back, he looks more of a thug than Concklin was.

Reply #653158 | Report this post

WillT  
Years ago

So, The league blinked, Carrera cleared to play,
I assuming Cairns will pay the fines out of the salary Cap equalisation fund. should have enough in there to cover these tiddly amounts.
Brisbane may still embarrass them further on Thursday.
Mayberry and Alyen reffing Cairns v Adelaide Friday, or are they having a week off to consider their Position???

Reply #653159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Carrera paid a lessor fine than Tokoto and Carrera started it all?

Reply #653160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The process of arriving at this decision could not be less professional. If they wanted to lower the sentence then they should have encouraged him to appeal and done it at the tribunal (or whatever they have). To sleep on it and decide after your big press release that you changed your mind after receiving a statement from the "guilty" party just reeks of incompetence and backdoor dealings.

Reply #653171 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NBL - weak as piss. Be transparent. We're not fucking idiots. Changing your mind is a woman's prerogative. Just be fair to those who support your product and give fair and reasonable explanations about things you decide.
Amateur stuff like this won't help the league.

By the way, did the fines all the players got get reduced by the same % the suspension did?

Reply #653174 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I take it this is the new website owned by LK/NBL. I remember they bought that domain and planned on making a website for NBL/NBA/Aussies in bball. Similar to Cricket.com.au I guess. Leaves a lot to be desired though.

Reply #653188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what quarter and minute did the incident occur? Didn't see it and going to check it out soon on my PVR.

Reply #653194 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

4th quarter, 6:00 left on the clock.

Reply #653205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Looongley

Reply #653206 | Report this post

Anon #653171 is spot on. There's got to be a process for this. If Cairns believed they had more evidence to provide they should have appealed it. You just can't mail stuff in and then have the ruling changed without following the review process. What a load of absolute shit.
Ferguson receiving a game suspension for not hitting Wortho last season is even more laughable now.

Reply #653229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carrera $750+$375=$1125 fine (unintentional head strike+melee)
Egwu $375 (melee)
Weeks $375 (melee)

Club made the call to pay all fines (lots in cairns willing to chip in) for the sake of the team cohesion ie. all in, never back down.

Club submitted the slow mo replays the refs used at the game to show contact between carrera n cook was a result of Carrera going for the ball and cook trying to wrestle it away ie. same footage on nbl.tv replay you can review yourself. Refs vindicated for their oncourt calls and GRP embarrassed themselves again.

Weeks and egwu could have challenged as they trying to separate players - weeks in headlock got a USF to tokoto, I would hope you can defend yourself on court from that crap. But hey GRP doesn't want basket brawl. Egg can be argued he shoulder charged tokoto but he was wrapped around weeks head.

Reply #653235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Club submitted the slow mo replays the refs used at the game to show contact between carrera n cook was a result of Carrera going for the ball and cook trying to wrestle it away ie. same footage on nbl.tv replay you can review yourself. Refs vindicated for their oncourt calls and GRP embarrassed themselves again."

Complete bullshit. All they did was downgrade the charge from intentional to careless. If the refs missed a careless head high hit on the night using replay, the downgraded charge does not vindicate them. All it does it prove what everyone in the nation (except Cairns fans) said and that is that Carrera hit Cooke in the face.

Reply #653238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4th quarter, 6:00 left on the clock.

Saw the replay last night. Whoah, Carrera is hungry.

Going to give the Foxtel IQ3 box credit for automatically adding half an hour to the recording after the previous games over ran their allocated timeslots. Otherwise the original two hour recording would have cut out exactly as the incident occurred!

Reply #653296 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Weeks wasn't trying to separate anyone. He escalated the situation when he came storming in.

Reply #653299 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

For anyone who missed it

Reply #653300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc.

Unless I missed something, Carrera didn't deserve a suspension for that, even from first watch. Weeks' involved was definitely unnecessary. If he hadn't have been wrapped up by Tokoto, I think he would've copped worse.

All because of a jump ball situation.

Reply #653310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three blind mice. LOL @ Toni Caldwell being in the middle of the scrap as well which hasn't been mentioned yet.

Reply #653347 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

After watching it again, I reckon the refs almost got it right. Common foul on Carrera (I'm struggling now to even call it usf) and Weeks probably should have copped a foul for escalating it. Foul on Tokoto.
Laughable that Carrera was ever in line to be suspended for that.

Reply #653353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Common foul on Carrera (I'm struggling now to even call it usf) "

Because if you lash out at someone and hit them in the face, its an USF.

Reply #653354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that's kind of obvious I would have thought. Refs proved me wrong though.

Reply #653355 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Surely if you have played basketball you have been in a similar situation where you get caught wrestling for the ball. That's all I saw with Carrera being out muscled by Cooke and his arm slipping off. Pretty sure is Carrera wanted to hotbed a Cooke it would have been a bit different

Reply #653361 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Auto correct turned hit to hot bed ??

Reply #653362 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I don't think he "lashed out" at all. They were both trying to muscle for the ball. Common foul, that's it.

Reply #653364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not like Carrera acted rationally immediately after the "accident."

Anyway, give it a couple of games and we'll see what happens when Carrera does mean to hotbed someone.

Reply #653366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:47 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754