TimberBall
Years ago

Pink Jersey not for Breast Cancer charity!!

For everyone thinking of buying a Pink Jersey at tonight's Wildcats Vs Hawks game, BE AWARE $0 of the sale price goes to charity, it all goes with to the Wildcats.

I Love my team and all of the community efforts they are involved in but this seems like they are taking advantage of people thinking they are donating to Breast Cancer research.

Buy a wrist band or bid on the auction to support this great cause but avoid paying $110 for a jersey.

Topic #42040 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The story on Channel 7 news earlier in the week also implied the pink jerseys were for breast cancer awareness. They showed Gleeson in his driveway with his wife playing basketball with their kids. So the jerseys are just a breast cancer coloured theme rather than raising proceeds? Sneaky.

Reply #653301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how many jerseys have the Cats got this year? Four or five?

Four - home/away/heritage/breastcancer
Five - home/away/ALTERNATE/heritage/breastcancer

Is there an alternate? White away when it clashes on the road vs. Hawks?

Reply #653302 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I called them as they were saying the 100% from the auction and $1 from the wrist bands went to Breast Cancer WA but they said nothing about the Jerseys sold tonight.

They did the same thing with the defence jerseys last year with $0 going to Legacy

Reply #653303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a dog act.

On the news it was implied funds would go to research.

Good post by you spreading the truth!

Reply #653304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They've raised $5000 so far through the auction. Dogs!

Reply #653305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will give up $30 off jersey profits for the admirable cause of trolling Casey Prather, but not willing to give up a cent to the cause they are raising awareness for. hmmmm....

Reply #653307 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

No doubt they are doing a great thing tonight with awareness and the auction.

But people will spend $110 thinking they are donating to a charity, which they are not.

Reply #653309 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

@TimberBall

The Wildcats have advertised that they are raising awareness and funds for Breast Cancer research.

Where the words charity occur so do the words Pink Auction.

I dislike false advertising as much as the next person, would you like to show all of us here where the Wildcats have explicitly stated all proceeds of pink jersey sales go to Breast Cancer WA?

Reply #653312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is accusing them of false claims from what I have seen.
But I do think that the way everything is presented it would not be unreasonable for people to assume some pink jersey money would be involved as well, and Timber is merely pointing out that it would be a false assumption. All fair enough IMO.

Reply #653316 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

It's that they haven't stated it! People see pink jerseys for sale sandwiched between the auction (100% to charity) and the wristbands ($1 to charity) and they assume.

It's not false advertising, it's misleading. I would like a sign next them at the merchandise stand saying 'no money from sale will go to Breast Cancer WA'

Reply #653317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I never assumed jersey sale profit would go towards breast cancer research, but i guess I can see how some people might.

I don't think the Cats should cop any backlash for it though, its just another jersey they're selling. They'll raise a bunch of money still through auctions, donations, wristbands etc as well as raise a lot of awareness and support which is one of the most important parts.

Reply #653318 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How much of the pink shirts people are buying from big w to wear to the game is going to the charity?

Reply #653319 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I may be wrong here but pretty sure there are no Pink Jerseys up for sale. You can bid on them in the auction with proceeds going to charity.

Reply #653320 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Yes Train, you are incorrect. They are selling them as a limited edition for $110

Reply #653321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha! thread over then.

Reply #653322 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You are wrong.

Reply #653323 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

There are no Pink jerseys for sale.

The only ones for sale are for auction, which all proceeds will go to the charity.

Reply #653324 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

https://sitedesq.sportstg.com/clubconsolepopups/dsp_email_viewer.cfm?EmailTemplateID=81414&OrgID=5295
Yes they are

Reply #653325 | Report this post

PinkRulz  
Years ago

You are right

Reply #653326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fun fact: at the moment Mason Bragg's jerseys bid is the 2nd highest price ($420) behind Damien Martin ($800) lol

Reply #653327 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It seems optimistic to even offer a game-worn Mason Bragg jersey atm.

Reply #653328 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I stand corrected, Cats admin have confirmed there are pink jerseys being sold.

Reply #653329 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You will find it's not common for organisations to have to itemise their products to distinguish between charitable donation and general revenue.

Take the AFL's pink lady match, the Hawks did the same thing with an auction.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-07-05/hawks-to-wear-pink-in-r16

As long as they are clear what goes to charity, I'm not going to assume everything goes to charity.

Are you going to be that guy who rocks up to the kiosk and ask whether this Coke is going to BCWA or Jack Bendat?

Reply #653330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That link specifically says $1 from wristbands goes towards breast cancer, then again specifically says how 100% from profits from auctioned Jerseys goes to breast cancer, while not saying any profits from the jersey goes to breast cancer other than they are for sale.

tbh I don't know how any one reading that would think and assume money from the jerseys goes to breast cancer

Reply #653331 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Whether it's right or wrong is for each person to decide, I wanted to post this here so people knew where the money was going. I have seen many people post on the Wildcats FB page in the last week saying they wanted to buy one to support the charity (After recently losing my Aunty to BC, I was one of them). I will now be donating the $110 direct to BC WA

Reply #653333 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

And looking at FB now it's seems someone else has found this out as well

Reply #653334 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I will now be donating the $110 direct to BC WA"

Would you have donated the exact amount of $110 to BCWA on this day without this event by the Wildcats?

Reply #653335 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

LoveBroker, as I have said above I think it's great what the Cats are doing by raising money and awareness, I had a problem with the Pink Jerseys cost not going to BCWA. The wildcats putting on this game absolutely prompted me to donate, but I would not have been donating to BCWA if I'd bought this jersey.

Reply #653336 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Thats not my question.

Reply #653337 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Whatever is the case, it makes you not want to support the Wildcats

Reply #653339 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

There's probably a reason WA is the richest state. They probably rip off everyone

Reply #653340 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No basis for that claim but you've just got to assume, you know

Reply #653341 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

i answered your question, the event prompted me to donate. The amount and delivery of my donation would of been in the form of purchasing a jersey, if I had done so I'd have donated $0

Reply #653342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timber looks to have his pink knickers in a knot

Reply #653343 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Manu, I wouldn't lie about this, I want the cats to raise millions for this charity, but these jerseys they are selling tonight won't do that. You can call the Wildcats to confirm on 08 6272 0777

Reply #653344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Manu meant his own claim that WA rips everyone off.

Reply #653345 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh, Timberball, no I want the 'Cats to be in the wrong then be forced to pay a substantial fee or percentage of their jersey sale earnings.

Ideal scenario.

Don't like the Wildcats.

I guess I don't have anything against the state, but I sure as shit don't like the basketball team

Reply #653348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are all forgetting there was a story on Channel 7 Perth news on Monday.

It implied the special jerseys would be sold for charity.

Reply #653351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one cares Manu.

Reply #653352 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Manu, we all know you don't like the Wildcats.

There is no need to go onto every Perth thread with hate perth, f perth or perth 'do.

Its getting rather dull.

Reply #653357 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Wildcats are not selling numbered/named jerseys, as in the jerseys people would actually want to buy.

Ain't no one buying a nameless, numberless jersey.

People serious about donating to charity would do their research.

This is a non-issue.

Reply #653360 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's therapeutic and I think a few people enjoy it, but I'll limit the Perth hate... which, mind you, is borne out of the conduct of their organisation and players over the years.

Reply #653367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The $110 price is $30 above RRP so why not give the cream to a charity you have themed these custom jerseys with?

Reply #653370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one cares Manu

Reply #653371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's therapeutic

Let me try...

F Perth!

Wow, you were right.

Reply #653373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats fans getting ripped off yet again. Oh but we keep winning. That's all that matters.

Reply #653375 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

How they advertising is not illegal, it is standard practice for organisations to blur the line intentionally or unintentionally. Throwing a few dollars from each jersey sale to the charity would better represent the values the organisation proposes. go all in not 90% of the way seems to be timberball's point.

Reply #653376 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

The main thing is they are bringing up awareness for breast cancer! Not many team's do enough in any sport. Even a dollar from a sale is more than what you keyboard warriors have donated?

Easy to have a dig at the Wildcats but have a bit of respect for what the reason behind it is.

Don't buy one and don't worry about it, it's sad that women are going through things that I wouldn't hope any one has to in there life time. I'm buying one and it's up to the club to do what they want.

Breast cancer awareness is the winner tonight! Not Perth or illawarra.

Reply #653377 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

What other teams are wearing pink or donating to breast cancer?

Reply #653379 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

It's textbook irony, that 'no one cares' stuff.

It's either a) passive-aggressive, or b) an indication of your self-worth, or your perception of the worth of other butthurt Perth fans. Because you/they clearlt care enough to hit me up asking for me to stop. Hope it's not B for your sake. You're not 'No one'.

Reply #653380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

F..k Perth conning barstards..

I feal better already:)

Reply #653381 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Snakes do an annual cancer fundraiser. Don't remember their awesome pink unis a couple years back? They beat Perth to the punch

Reply #653382 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Breast cancer awareness isn't an issue - I'd say everyone is aware of breast cancer, women in particular (including notices when they need to be scanned, in NSW at least). Raising money to help prevent/cure it IS the real issue. Wearing a pink jersey has all the tangible impact of tweeting #prayforbreastcancercure if not a single % is going to charity. But good on the Wildcats for the jersey auction.

Reply #653383 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Interpetation...I'll keep trolling as you keep biting.

Reply #653384 | Report this post

The Rooster  
Years ago

They are singlets - not jerseys.
Jerseys are milking cows.

Reply #653388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The main thing is they are bringing up awareness for breast cancer!
Well as long as we're aware it exists, that's all fine then. Of course, 99% of people at tonight's game would have been aware of that already, without the Wildcats doing a thing.

Even a dollar from a sale is more than what you keyboard warriors have donated?
It's also more than the Wildcats are donating from their jersey sales.

Don't buy one and don't worry about it, it's sad that women are going through things that I wouldn't hope any one has to in there life time.
You know what's sad? All the people going through things that aren't associated with fun things like boobs (or are associated with less-fun things like an actual risk of death), and therefore don't get awareness campaigns or millions of dollars of donations.

Reply #653389 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Raising money to help prevent/cure it IS the real issue....good on the Wildcats for the jersey auction.
The funds raised are going to Breast Cancer Care WA, which does neither of those things.

Reply #653390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are rocking pick jerseys because Gleeson's wife has gone into remission with breast cancer. So I think it was more to support the Gleeson family than anything.

and yeah shout out to prostate cancer. It doesn't get enough exposure.

Reply #653392 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah the sun never shines on it for some reason

Reply #653397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and that's because the ones with breasts aren't putting out enough!

Reply #653403 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #653471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Troll.

Reply #653473 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Lol savage

Reply #653503 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wonder if anyone will be doing a light blue one for men's health awareness considering that Mo-vember is just around the corner. Or is men's health not important? There are actually more cases of prostate cancer (19,821) than breast cancer (14,181) each year.

Breast cancer is a terrible cancer, like all cancers, and I think we all know someone close to us who has been affected. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month.

It sounds like the intentions of the pink jersey are good, but it appears as though the Cats need to be a little more transparent with the money trail if they are selling the jersey as regular merchandise.

I look forward to seeing an NBL team brave enough to don the light blue in Mo-vember.

Reply #653514 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, this guy came in just so hot. Torched the thread. I like it

Reply #653522 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I have to wear oven gloves every time I log in now.

Supernova hot takes.

I'm worried about the bloke's blood pressure though, R U OK Wayne?

Reply #653523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahaha wtf

Reply #653524 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

OK, this is officially beyond ridiculous or good taste now.
Anyone in attendance last night would have got the message of early detection and its importance, and ffs it is the head coach's wife we're talking about. This hit the club close to home, it's not like it was just "70's Disco Night" picked out as a random theme night.

If one of the players, or Greg Hire's husband, was going through a prostate cancer battle for survival, I've got no doubt the club would do something equivalent.

I thought the evening was well done.

Reply #653527 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The only negative from the Pink night was the score board,
I think it's still burnt into my retinas.

Reply #653566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Especially early on before they turned on the lights.

Reply #653567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I look forward to seeing an NBL team brave enough to don the light blue in Mo-vember.

I look forward to a WNBL team creating awareness for prostate cancer......... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... what an idiot I am.

Reply #653616 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"His wife dying was the best thing that ever happened to him right? His new wife is a lot hotter and the death has given him an excuse not go finally go away and leave us all alone! God I hate that guy."

Isaac...can we please ban Wayne?

Reply #653637 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

It's literally the dumbest 24hrs i've seen one person have on hoops.

And i've made a lot of posts....

Reply #653643 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

To those who attend Perth home games and have been to other stadiums around the country, what does it feel like at Perth Arena. How does it stack up?

Reply #653644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stack up? The atmosphere or the stadium itself? The stadium itself is poor, no idea where all the money "spent" on it went to. Comparing it to NBL arenas used over east and in the US. Oh, and that horrible blue colour scheme.

Reply #653645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously the crowd is the best as they have the most attendance out of anyone. Although the stands are quite far back from the court and lacks the 'on top' feel Challenge did. Challenge actually was better, that's how high the standard of crowd atmosphere is here in Perth!

Reply #653646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The stadium itself is poor"

In what way?

Reply #653653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just an average stadium, doesn't have an 'NBA' feel to it.

The game night entertainment doesn't have an NBA feel to it either, I've been to a game at Hisense and that was a much better experience.

Reply #653657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats all about game night presentation, not the Arena.

Reply #653667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed presentation is lacking as well. Perth just have a massive crowd so it overrides a lot of what they do wrong.

Back to the staidum - let me put it to you this way. Even WIN Entertainment Centre in Wollongong is better. The amenities, design, location, closeness to court. It was a boutique "cheap" build but emphasis on not looking cheap. Comparing it with Perth Arena just makes you wonder where the hundreds of millions went.

Reply #653671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The carpark below the arena that was added at the last minute took up a chunk of the budget overrun. It was supposedly added at the request of the Wildcats.

Reply #653723 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The retractable roof wouldn't be cheap either.

Most of the venue is hidden away from the general public 99% of the time too.

Reply #653728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754