LC
Years ago

Baynes on Boomers: "We want that gold medal"

"We want that gold medal, and we think it's within our grasp if we can get there healthy and playing well together."

Full interview:Aron Baynes talks Celtics, Boomers and the 2020 goal

Topic #42057 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Baynes has filled his role in Boston really well so far. As he says, we have a good core group of Boomers who are used to playing together now. The keys to success in 2020 are for Lemanis to find the right system to get the most out of our talent and the playing time to integrate Simmons, Maker and Exum. Hopefully it will happen, but past experience suggests these players NBA teams will make it difficult. At least Brett Brown will likely have more sympathy for the Australian cause than other NBA coaches.

Reply #653833 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Simmons will do whatever he wants, the others will depend on how they're playing in the NBA whether they can dictate, and whether they'll make the team.

The team should be aiming for gold, they showed they could compete with the USA in Rio. The system is superb, especially offensively, and the roster will likely be more versatile in 2019 and you'd assume 2020.

The big question for mine is will Bogut be there, because having playmaking bigs is importance for how the Boomers play. If he is there how much will he play? If he's not there which players fill that role?

Reply #653840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'11 Simmons
6'0 Mills
6'8 Ingles
6'11 Bolden
7'1 Maker

Starting 5 2020 ?

SG depth is a worry.

Reply #653841 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Deng Adel, Sobey and Goulding are the only names I can think of for bench shooting guard not that Goulding is deserving based on current form

Reply #653937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel is a sf, Same as broekhoff.
You could play ingles at sg.

Mills
Dellavedova
Exum
Broekhoff
Adel
Ingles
Simmons
Bolden
Baynes
Bogut/Mathiang/Landale/Humphries/Hodgson/Brandt? 1 of.
Maker
+1 more

Reply #653945 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Brandt over Hodgson

Reply #653950 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hi Paul, I've liked what I've seen from the Boomers offensively under Lemanis, but do you think it will get the best out of Simmons talent? If so, how?

Is there a name for the system Lemanis is using for the Boomers? I've only just started doing some coaching recently, so I don't really know how to identify many offences yet!

Reply #653983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this rate Baynes is going to be Giannis personal footstool by 2020

Reply #654018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - Baynes didn't back down against Giannis like a lot of other players in the league would've and Giannis also didn't finish so please explain how he will be his footstool?

I don't think the SG position is as important as everyone thinks with Simmons on court, as he will be defending the 3 or 4 man and running the offense. You will just need to have shooters or scorers on the court around him as seen with the way Philly runs their starters at the moment with Bayless, Redick and Covington along with Embiid obviously.

Reply #654087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2020 team

Starters:

maker
Bolden
Adel
Exum
simmons

Bench:

Humphries
ingles
baynes
delly
mills
Matur maker
Acuil

Reply #654222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need token NBL representation. At least one spot.

Reply #654225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want a NBL guy in there, it would have to be Sobey or Creek?

Reply #654227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need some 6'6-6'7 + sgs. Biggest problem area atm. Mills last go round.
Ingles and broekhoff more suited to sf.

Best young 2 coming through probably green and Stattman.

Guys like cooks, moneke, Landale etc shouldn't be overlooked also.

Reply #654228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries got lot to learn to be Nbl centre let the Australian team, he's no Bogut.

Reply #654230 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754