Coach_Al
Years ago

Are private domestic comps legal?

My son has received an email advertising a local Summer domestic league for U12 and 14, set up and ran by a private company. I have always been under the assumption that junior domestic comps had to be affiliated to the relevant State basketball body.

Is anyone able to confirm if a private entity is entitled to run a domestic comp without any affiliation?

Topic #42065 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, all good. Just like any rec centre ball.

Reply #654109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legal but ask yourself what's the benefit.

It's being run for profit. No connection to a local Club so no pathway.

Why would you choose to play in it when its sole purpose is to take your money and line someone's pockets. Stay away, find a club run program.

Reply #654110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What guarantees are there re insurance, public liability, etc?
I'm all for free enterprise, but...

Reply #654128 | Report this post

Andrew Clark  
Years ago

Crikey. It is bad enough that here in the eastern suburbs of melbourne we have junior domestic clubs being run for profit....entire competitions being run for profit is a bad thing. Despite the inadequacies at times of the people that run volunteer clubs and associations, the model is the best one, it has the best chance of the kids' interests being paramount.

Reply #654142 | Report this post

Coacher  
Years ago

Yes agree with the above posters, corporate basketball associations is a bad thing for juniors. fine for adults, this happens in lots of sports.

Reply #654143 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would assume cost they are asking will cover court hire, insurance and refs and really just be an alternative to some of the club run domestic comps.. ia m just assuming though. i would prob steer clear, however - MARS ran one which was mainly through LIFE BE IN IT but it was pretty good with no real pathway to a club.

Reply #654149 | Report this post

Coach_Al  
Years ago

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback.

I have no intention to participate, my son is in a decent rep program and is already engaged in a domestic comp.

The folks behind this new league seem to be in it for the $$$ and this does not sit too well with me when it comes to junior sports. There is another local comp ran by a private entreprise in the same area, but they are affiliated with Basketball Victoria, hence my initial question.

Do other states have similar ventures happening?

Reply #654162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Private or club they both try to make money off of you. Private model profits go to the entrepreneur, whereas club profits go to propping up the seniors in the state league.

Reply #654168 | Report this post

Years ago

IMO - it's about a fiscal balance, people need to make a living. Some people are involved in sport professionally so of course they have to make a living.

Reply #654173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think affiliated clubs aren't trying to make money off you by you playing in their comps then think again!!
That's a huge part of the clubs income stream! Just because their affiliated doesn't mean they aren't trying to make $$
Being affiliated doesn't make them the money, running competitions does!
If you ask most clubs/country areas the only advantage being affiliated gives them is insurance not $$

Reply #654175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which clubs in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne are you referring to Andrew Clark?

Reply #654229 | Report this post

Coach_Al  
Years ago

This is the thing - I have no problem if a club is making money via their domestic comp - optimistic me assumes that this money is going to somehow benefit the kids (subsidised gear/camps, paid development coaches, extra skills sessions, etc as I have already experienced with some clubs). The fact that a private venture charges juniors to play means that the money is not being reinvested in the sport. There lies my issue.

I have no problem with private leagues for adults, but when it comes to juniors, it leaves me with a weird feeling of kids being "exploited" (for lack of a better word).

And I guess the affiliation is more of a reassurance that the league has been vetted and properly insured by the governing bodies.

Reply #654234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See a three on three comp being held at parafield gardens, wonder how legitimate that is with insurance etc, sounds dodgy to me and a lot of other people I know.

Reply #654484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See a three on three comp being held at parafield gardens, wonder how legitimate that is with insurance etc, sounds dodgy to me and a lot of other people I know.

Reply #654485 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754