egalitarian
Years ago

Parents coaching

Any thoughts on the effect of parents coaching their own children?

Topic #4207 | Report this topic

hihoops  
Years ago

Probably not ideal but if the parents have the knowledge,enthusiasm , support of the club and willingness to learn then we don't want to lose them as a coach. They may soon coach a team that is not their son/daughter's team.
I have been a parent/coach at a school level and it can be challenging but a lot depends on the individual parent and player and their attitudes.

Reply #48869 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

We have had a pair of parents coaching their children for the last six years, mainly in Div 1. My child has been in the same cohort so she has not experienced any other coaches. It does not seem healthy! Do any clubs have policies on this situation.

Would Andrew Gaze had been better or worse without being under his father's Gaze?

Reply #48892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

often the parent is a good coach and the player a good player

in different circumstances the parent would be coaching say u16 girls div 1 and the child even if the parent wasn't the coach would make the u16girls div I side what do you do move the parent away from a grade they are good at?

do you hold back the child because said parent is coaching or do you ask one of them to leave the club so the clash doesn'thappen

in most cases parents are usually harder on their own kids than on others usually the perception of bias is from other people.

it really is lose/lose situation for all concerned but who do you chose coach or player?

Reply #48893 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"it really is lose/lose situation", I don't think that applied to Richard Hill/Brad Hill.

Reply #48897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

betcha etc though that brad/richard both at differing times got accused or whispered about that he was being favoured because he was richard's son, or that richard was playing favourites giving his son more court time or not being told off for errors.

human nature will tell you people are suspicious in those circumstances not saying they are right it just happens

how many people on committees have had it levelled atthem that they are their just to better their kids chances. or parents who become managers so they can have the ear of the coach.

there are plenty of examples alan/peter dawe don shipway/shane ah matt lindsay/andrew gaze but i still say over all it is in an lose/lose situation because of the finger pointing from the ones who will complain about everything it just gives them more ammo, not often realising the reason their little johnny or sally isn't getting court time is because of their ability.

Reply #48912 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Richard Hill needs to be praised for the work he has done, not only in the development of his own son, but the whole Eastern Mavericks Men's ABA team which resulted in a championship in 2004. I would suggest that his attention stretched further than his own son.

Reply #48915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC apart from maybe one ABA season (and from memory it wasn't even one full season) when else did Richard Hill coach Brad?

I think the topic is more about juniors being coached by a parent and what effect that has on the development of not only their own child but more importantly the team as a whole.

Reply #48924 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Unfortunately I have been in a team where a father coached his son, through a few age groups and it was not good at all, the club knew that at season ending presentations his son would be getting an award, until final year when few comments made by parents and other players and surprise , everyone received a trophy.

Reply #48929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the reverse situation where a parent coach is overly aware of potential criticism of favouratism and penalises his/her child by erring on being too tough and doesn't give the child enough court time?

Reply #48932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#48924). German Arms 1996-2000.

Reply #48934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its unfair on the child not to experience coaching from external people. People who are not biased and can give them advice to improve whereas parents usually seem to have the view that their child is perfect.

Plus as a kid I would have hated it if my parent coached me, at some stage the ambilical cord has to be cut.

Parents that have no basketball knowledge whatsoever and think they have a clue from watching a few games should not coach or be on club committees.

Reply #48935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a parent coaching with knowledge of basketball over the drongo that volunteer's and has no knowledge has to be at the end of the day more acceptable. The negativity generally that comes from a parent coaching is the other parents having a bitch if things arent going their childs way and this would happen no matter who was coaching.
In the end it doesnt really matter.
If the kids are good enough they will going on with their basketball no matter who coaches and the ones that whinge and find excuses for why they are being held back and not look to themselves will be shot out the back never to be heard of again.

Reply #48937 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

Also if a club lacks coaches then it's usually a parent of a player that puts their hand up to coaches, some might not have coached before but it can be the only options available.

Reply #48946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that it depends on both the child and the parent. Coaching year after year probably isn't ideal, but neither is an un-related coach following the same team.

I think if the parent has always coached a grade and the kid happens to fit into that team, then it will only be for a year or two, so be it. If the parent is filling a hole in a coaching line up and has the knowledge and ability to coach well, let it be.

If, after some time, it is deemed to be detrimental to either the player or the team or the coach, then something should be done by the Club. I don't think that any Club should be held to ransom by the loss of a plater or a coach.

Reply #48959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did you have anyone in mind??????
Because I cant help but feel that this is a fishing trip!!!!!!!

Reply #48963 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

To a certain extent it has been a fishing trip in that there have been some issues in my kid's team and I wanted to know what experiences others had had in dealing with the issue. Most of the discussion has been helpful.

Reply #48964 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Not a big ... Never had a parent Coach me ... but have been coached by anthor players parent ... As much as a parents says they dont fava there child .. the fact remains that every parents thinks they child can play ... its only natural to fava them

Reply #48989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A club should never choose a parent over someone that is better qualified to do the position. Parents should have the position as a last resort.

Reply #49004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed and I think that in 99.9% this is correct.
If you know of a parent that is coaching and another better qualified coach was available, please tell all.
As all club have problems meeting coaching numbers (And that is ALL clubs)I think you will find that that is an untrue statment.

Reply #49015 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

I really dont think some one being a parent should come into it ... It should just come down to the most qualified coach should get the job .. weather he is a parent or not

Reply #49019 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I agree with "The Truth" and about people saying "but what if the parents were tougher on their own kids than others" how often does that happen? 1 in 10 mayb? I think if there is nobody else, you cant do much about it. It also depends what level its at. People are mentioning gaze etc. thats at a completely professional level and all relationships would be forgotten at training/gameday. At the junior level parents want their kids to look the best and be the best so its harder then, when other kids need/deserve a chance and they dont get one.

Reply #49067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just for your info,
Lindsay coached Andrew from u/12's as there were no such thing as u/10's back then, right through every age group till the NBL.

Reply #49085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you might find that hte importal Ken Watson caoch Andrew in U/14's

Reply #49087 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

My parents never coached me, but always said that my brother was a natural and that I had to work harder to have the same success on the basketball court. I believe this means my parents are capable of identifying gifted palyers, and hard-working players. Why shouldn't they be allowed to coach a team that I play in if they have the (other) required skills?

Some coaches become parents, and some parents become coaches... I believe that if the Parent is the best person for the position, then they get that position, regardless of whether their children is in the team.

the Coach Nomination forms received at the start of the year/season would give a "heads-up" to Coaching Directors..?

(Some coaches already involved in basketball have their favorites - so why single out parents?)

This isn't intended as a dig at anyone above, just some food for thought...?

Reply #49318 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Food for thought ah maybe pickles perhaps!!!

Reply #49329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I coached my son in football for two years,and i was a little hard on him but it made him a better player he also lets me know he missed out on the best@fairest by two votes because i beanched him at half time for not following team rules in the last game .now he plays basket ball and has become a good team player but said he never wants me to coach him again

Reply #49388 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Bad idea I think, in juniors anyway. Someone I used to play with was coached by their father for 3 seasons straight, got more courttime and got the MVP award each season (and I didn't think they deserved it). It's unfair to both the kid and the teammates.

At elite levels it probably wouldn't have an effect on the game.

Reply #49406 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Shit joke Spongy! ;P

Reply #49728 | Report this post

My mum coached me when I was in primary school and I had no problems. She didn't do anything other than coach my team and I neither won awards nor got penalised more than any other player in my teams.
Last weekend I also noticed a coach who's son plays in his team and the son got equal court time to the other guards.
Most junior coaches are parents and chances are that at one stage, unless their child plays for another club, they will end up coaching their own child.
Sometimes you will get the extremes of the scale but mostly the parent coaches are out there to teach junior players the game.

Reply #50513 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A parent coaching in lower age/grades for one season or so, not so bad. But when players get into U/16's and upwards I dont think it works all the time. Natural parent/child issues can spill over into trainings and games (i have seen it happen) Also I dont like parent coaches following their children through the ages. I know its convenient to keep coaching your own child, but i think players benefit from having different coaches in different age groups. Every coach is different and has something new to teach. I think this applies to coaches in general. I really dont like Coaches who follow their favorite players/successful teams up through the age groups. Its weird.. like they just want to coach a team because they have been successful and they cant let go. Are they really teaching that team anything new, or just replaying past seasons. I think 2 seasons with a coach is enough, then move on to a new coach with new ideas, new plays, new styles etc.
This is just my opinion formed over the last 8 years or so of watching my kids play basketball in different teams (and no I have never coached - I stick to things like team management, co-ordinator, committees. I dont have the skills needed to coach.) I do admire parents who do coach, I just dont think they should coach their kids all the time.

Reply #53267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754