Anonymous
Years ago

Sunshine TV show

Anyone else end up watching Sunshine on SBS? I'm one episode in and enjoying it.

One for the basketball lovers as it has that theme throughout even including NBL in there!

Topic #42081 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

Nah I'm recording the episodes and will do a bit of a marathon when I get the time, I'm looking forward to watching it though

Reply #654488 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

sunshine kings, sunshine kings

Santino is a sic rapper

Reply #654492 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

At least they are having a crack but it won't be winning any awards anytime soon.

Good luck to them but they are lucky SBS have a dumb diversity mandate or this thing would be scraped already.

Reply #654494 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Come on Reality I thought it was brilliant

Reply #654498 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It was nice to see an australian series with a basketball background, but if we're judging the show on the acting and storyline it leaves much to be desired as it is littered with plotholes. I did like seeing them throw the NBL a bone though.

Reply #654500 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its a cool gimmick type show so good luck to them in the future.

Unless it fills the diversity quota can't see it getting a run for the second season

Reply #654508 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought it was pretty good. Like I said in one of the many other Sunshine threads, not too many points for originality of plot, but it was good to see it with an aussie basketball setting. Thumbs up from me.

Wrapped up nicely in 4 episodes so it's pretty easy to watch.

Reply #654509 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think Col'n Carpenter's character should be Melbourne United's next head coach. He could provide the spiritual guidance that they need.

Reply #654510 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

It wasn't too unpleasant but the story was deplorable. It was almost play-for-play what I expected when it was announced. Some of the actors were really trying to make it work but had very little to go with. Good on them for trying though.

Anyone see the thing on SBS about Apex gangs last night? That was far better and it even had basketball in it..

Reply #654561 | Report this post

Je  
Years ago

Agree with others that the broad outlines of the plot and characters were a little cliched, but still thought it was done pretty well.

If the series had a longer run it could have tackled some of the issues with more nuance. One issue that was skated over is the accessibility and cost of organized junior basketball in Australia for poorer kids (of all backgrounds).

As for it being 'gimmicky' or filling a 'diversity quota' ... it feels like Australian TV has for a long time gone out of its way to NOT represent Australia's diversity. If a young black Australian kid feels a little more confident and emboldened because he got to see someone who looks like him on TV for the first time, and presented in a positive light, then I'm all for it.

Some of the acting was a little patchy but for much of the cast it was their first acting gig. I actually thought the main actor Wally Elnour was impressive for a novice.

Reply #654572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young kids these days don't watch TV let alone SBS.

Reply #654593 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

I thought it was a good story,a bit of mistery/basketball,not bas SBS!

Reply #654610 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Some real reality TV on the Apex and African youth gangs would be a good idea.

Reply #654611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah, let's go with the SBS whitewashed version. It's not their fault and it's not a gang... LOL.

Reply #654615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh I love it when Hoops.com become /r/the_Donald!

Reply #654617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like /r/keepingitreal!

Reply #654619 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the donald (plenty of other places to discuss that stuff) just discussing the show and the general message etc.

Reply #654620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, why bring up the Donald. Idiot!

Reply #654622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:50 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754