Anon
Years ago

Ben Simmons commits to Australian Olympic Team

https://www.facebook.com/basketballforever/posts/1803154046381926

Good news, can't wait to see how he develops between now and then.

Don't read the comments on the post though, will hurt your brain (.. ie: Kyrie might play
FFS )

Topic #42102 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben already suited up for the Boomers at the 2013 FIBA Oceania championships. That commitment was made then.

Reply #655032 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great News.

Reply #655033 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Nothing to see here: just Bball Forever fabricating a story, per usual.

Reply #655034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he hasnt been named in the team yet has he...bit premature

Reply #655035 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He just got triple double #2 btw

Reply #655036 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Some positive anons out there lol.

Reply #655038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't read the comments on the post though, will hurt your brain (.. ie: Kyrie might play FFS)"

the best one was some guy mentioning Goran Dragic as a Boomers starter in 2020 lol

Reply #655043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Slovenia did it with Anthony Randolph...

Reply #655047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is good enough to make the team.

Reply #655049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant see dragic beating out delly, mills and adam gibson for a spot!!

Reply #655189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills
Dellavedova
Exum
Broekhoff
Ingles
Simmons
Bolden
Baynes
Maker

Who will be the other 3?

Bogut on his last legs, Mathiang a rookie and Adel likely a draft pick next season.

Reply #655191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good names there but lacks size

Reply #655194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need another knock down shooter.

Reply #655195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adam Gibson would be a lock you'd think and Goulding will be in the nba by then

Reply #655224 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So is everybody counting out any prospect of a naturalised Australian making the team?

Are the days of a Grace, Redhage, Lisch type making Australian Olympics and world champs over now?

Reply #655328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the calibre of Aus Boomer is higher than a long term NBL import now.

Reply #655342 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think we're going to need at least one of Bogut and/or Anderson coming into the 2020 Olympics because we don't really have enough quality, young Aussie seven footers. We may need to take Mathiang anyway, but under him we're left with Angus Brandt and Isaac Humphries really. I think brandt would be a decent back up, but he's no Bogut or Anderson.

Another name people have forgotten is Cam Bairstow.

Reply #655349 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Humphries will be better than Bogut and Andersen in 2020. Not at their best but at that time.

Cam Bairstow is a solid player but has no chance of making the next Olympics.

Reply #655352 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I guess Simmons will have to give us the things we miss out on with Bogut and Anderson. Luckily enough he is probably going to be better than both combined and able to fill any gaps in any position. You're gonna want good shooters around him though for all those pretty passes.

Reply #655353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's that hard to see Bogut being effective in 2020. He will be playing fewer and fewer NBA minutes over the next few years, which decreases his injury risk and the overall wear and tear. And he's never been overly reliant on his athleticism. He can facilitate and finish lobs offensively, and defensively he's always going to be smart and inconsiderate enough to frustrate the hell out of opposing players. I think the biggest question is, if he's done in the NBA by the end of next season, does he remain motivated enough to be a factor?

I had a lot of hope for Humphries but my biggest concern is that his performance at the Kings is full of the same kinds of mistakes he was making two years ago. I'm not sure he's improved at all.

If the 9 that anon#191 listed above are good to go, I don't think there's going to be a desperate need for much else. They might "lack size" but Baynes and Maker can absolutely hold down an international 5-spot between them, and there's more size than we've historically had in the back-court.

It would be nice to see one or two of the younger guys like Mathiang, Adel, Jack White, Jock Landale, etc. get there. 2020 is likely the last go for Patty and Jingles and definitely for Bogut if he does get there. I'd rather see younger guys who might be Boomers starters one day, than Goulding/Gibson types.

Reply #655354 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not sure why anyone is still talking about Humphries on the Boomers, he has looked out of his depth in both college and the NBL. Reaction time just looks far too slow for a big in the modern game - hence all the fumbled passes, out of position fouls and inability to make any kind of move without getting the ball stripped!

Reply #655425 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Jack White a chance....expecting big things from him at Duke this year?

Reply #656267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White will average maybe 2 mins a game. No chance.

landale, Adel, cooks, Vasljevic are going to play big minutes.

Reply #656270 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754