Anonymous
Years ago

Is Joey Wright now just an embarassment?

In my book there's a difference between being "passionate about the game," and just being a dickhead.

Lets not forget that this is the guy who literally threw away a Championship last season, because when things got heated he was more interested in being a wanker, than actually coaching his team.

If anything, his behavior now is becoming even more bizarre.

Topic #42110 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

im not sure if I was a player, would I want to play for that style of coach. Prefer some professional that wont scold me like im a child.

Reply #655313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid thread, great coach, his players lost game. And pal, how the hell can you talk about playing for him, you're probably playing div four social somewhere that wouldn't know good coaching from a hole in the ground. His players love and respect him, the hard working ones that don't make excuses that is.

Reply #655317 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

I think he gets more credit due to his championship with the bullets, which blind Freddy can see was with a roster that made a mockery of the salary cap. Without that title to dine out I would he still be in the league?

Reply #655333 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Coach of the year with a team that was half the budget of what others spent was a mirage. Good job , Good effort.

Reply #655339 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He wants the refs to be consistent and if they aren't he wants his teams to keep there chin up and play with the no calls and inconsistency. Neither happened yesterday.

Reply #655340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Say what you want, basketball was dead in SA after the Marty debacle. Joey was the one who guided us back and got us paying a attractive brand of basketball. It's not only the bullets that have benefited from Joey no matter how many times you say it. Last night was strange, but you need to trust your leaders. Perhaps Joey was trying to build qualities we were missing in the semis last season?

Reply #655343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright is clearly a very good coach however his behaviour in my opinion is terrible and not a good look for the game - this has occurred for a number of years. Hopefully the club speaks to him regarding this and he can change.

Joey >>>>>>>>>>>> Marty Clarke

Reply #655344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already posted my thoughts in game thread. How demeaning his whole carry on was right from before game with Sobey stand.
How does all that carry on help our basically young team.
I just know how excited I was with the formation of this very strong playing unit with depth.
Now see it all going to s---t.
Regarding last season it was the Randell show with sidekick in Sobey when Randell went missing under finals pressure so did we.

Reply #655345 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Yes

Reply #655346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All his players love him? Are you getting this info from all his players or his inner circle?

Reply #655351 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

They lost 2 games on the road against good opposition. Nothing like over reacting. The only embarrassing thing is these threads that come up after every loss. Get a grip.

Reply #655358 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

So Snooch you are happy how we played against Melbourne who have won only 1 game apart from 3 against us and you are happy how Joey showing great leadership and commitment to our club.
This is not about the losses as we sat through Clark era, but it is about concern in the direction and support this very talented team getting from their and our coach.
Oops I assumed you were a supporter or member.

Reply #655359 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

A week ago everyone was hailing this team after the Childress signing. Now after 2 kosses it's doom and gloom.

Keep some context. Losses happen. Melb United was the title favourite and NZ is the form team of the comp. So no, I'm not bothered by the past 2 losses at all. It all comes down to how they respond.

As someone said earlier, Pop got thrown out of a Spurs game the other day - was that poor leadership and showing a lack of commitment?

Two losses to really good opposition on the road this early in the season isn't cause for all this ridiculous angst.

Reply #655360 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Actually give me a tech, getting it and then abusing the ref for following your instruction was the best passage of play for the whole game.

Reply #655364 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I like that he doesn't put up with crap refs and highlights how terrible they are. Mildenhall and Crouch need to come out of retirement and show them how it's done.

Reply #655369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with Joey's interviews during the games? He thinks he's Coach Pop the way he treats those interviews, completely ignored the question yesterday when asked why Sobey had played so little. I hope Joey's not still dining out on that championship with Brisbane? That was a long, long, long time ago! As Janet Jackson's lyrics go 'what have you done for me lately' Joey as a 36er fan?

Reply #655374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that earlier this year he coached the 36ers to the best record in the league, despite most people writing off that group at the start of the season as no chance of making the playoffs.
Is that not lately enough for Adelaide fans?

Reply #655376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the reigning NBL Coach of the Year?

Reply #655377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Championships Count! Do you think the Wildcats measure their success by the amount of times the finish on top after the minor round season is completed? Tick Tock Joey the clock is ticking on a 36er Championship...

Reply #655379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually yes, since you mention it the Wildcats make a huge deal over their regular season results

Reply #655382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not as much as their Championship Banners hanging in their stadium Mrs Wright!

Reply #655383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Aylen even give him the first tech? Is he taking requests now?

I know he yelled at him to "give me a tech" but Aylen should have just ignored it.

Reply #655430 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

you expect too much from him anon

Reply #655435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is. His personal awards amounted to nothing but a personal 5 year extension. The club hasn't seen any genuine results with the talent that has been put on court under the messiah

Reply #655443 | Report this post

The results have been far better under his reign as compared to the years prior. At least i can go to a game now and think we might actually put in a decent effort and win.
I'm unsure why everyone is up in arms about his ejection. He was rightly frustrated with the refs and let them know. He gets at least one tech per season in this fashion, and often it miraculously results in some better officiating (or perhaps not better officiating, but a bias toward the 36ers). He pushed, and he got ejected. It happens. But I won't be at all surprised if the Hands-on defence is cleaned up a bit in the coming rounds. He's passionate and committed but he knows what he's trying to achieve. He knew he was pushing it, but sometimes you've got to. He wasn't whinging like a bitch, he was telling the refs to do a better job. As a 36ers fan, he was one of very few 36ers who actually stood up for something during that game. Goodness knows most of the players were meek and distracted for huge swathes of game time.

Everyone from coaches, to commentators, to fans, to players have been commenting that the umpiring has been average at best this season. Joey just did it during a game where he can be penalised for it. Bad luck, call them out.

Reply #655547 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Chairman Of The Bored great post!

Reply #655550 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Well said.

Reply #655659 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Yes, Joey was clearly saying to the refs 'do your job'. I heartily concur. Great to see a coach passionate about the wider game.

And that 'job' is to understand and apply the rules as written to ensure fair competition between offence and defence.

The refs' only possible defence for what is not being called so often, in my opinion, is that they are simply unable to cope with the speed and tempo of the game. The number of times they - even the full-timers - fail to make a call even when an infringement happens in clear sight right in front of them suggests they are too fatigued to 'see' what is happening and to react in time to make the call. This suggests problems with aerobic fitness and possibly decision-making.

Or maybe it's that they are focused on making subjective 'value' calls rather than applying the rules.

'Do your job' is an excellent, and much-needed call. Pity the refs coaches and administrators are apparently not demanding it of their charges.

Reply #655699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the ejection. What about the capitulation of a 14 point lead at one stage I think to lose by 17.

Reply #655704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The number of times they - even the full-timers - fail to make a call even when an infringement happens in clear sight right in front of them suggests they are too fatigued to 'see' what is happening and to react in time to make the call. This suggests problems with aerobic fitness and possibly decision-making.

I believe this to be true. Look at Aylen -- a full-time ref but seems to be getting fatter?

Reply #655707 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Aylen ate everybody's burgers after Childress missed his free throws.

Reply #655732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the only possible explanation for missed calls is their fitness....not the fact that the game moves at a quick pace and they cant see everything that goes on?

Reply #655737 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

-it was a calculated ejection. he knew what he was doing. happens all the time in the NBA. team is showing nothing and the Coach deliberately gets ejected to fire up the team moving forward.

-36ers have a great squad. its deep, but they are lacking on the defensive end and in particular are a very poor rebounding team. Losing to Melb 3 times in a row is down to the fact that Melb have a great corp of big guys that can feast on the 36ers weakness.

-Childress will take 5 games or so to get going

-Hodgson has not stepped up this year as I had hoped he would. Is too soft.

-If the rebounding and interior defense can get sorted, then i see no reason why the 36ers can't be in the running come seasons end. its early days still.

Reply #655741 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , a facade presented by joey to satisfy the demands of the situation (our players and the refs)..
'bring your mouth guards' ..pretty good , also..
Unlikely it is sobeys form ..
doyle and teys as exciting as watching the neighbor blowing his nose for 10minutes..

Reply #655822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The project was coming in ahead of time and under budget, and we were due a healthy completion bonus.
But a week before we were due to hand it over, I cracked the shits with the client, accused them of being racists, and burnt the building to the ground.

Strangely, not only did I lose my job, but I am now in prison. The Judge was completely unmoved by my Joey Wright comparison.

Reply #656127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always has been an embarrassment. Everywhere he's been over his coaching career has been tainted by someone else's money. Ejections is a desperate man's out. 4 seasons to go.

Reply #656129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grateful he doesn't coach the team I support

Reply #656132 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

So , creative minds are rarely tidy......

Reply #656730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754