Anonymous
Years ago

Will Sobey stay?

Has anyone heard anything re: Sobey? Anyone in the "inner sanctum" that could shed light on what's next? Surely a player as talented as him won’t stay around if he’s riding the pine.

Topic #42114 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no he's going to Perth for all you 36ers fans

Reply #655361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leave, how is that possible. He is contracted afterall.

Reply #655365 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

He would most likely have an NBA/Perth out clause in his contract

Reply #655368 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Heard Sobey might be leaving to take up the point guard role JVG offered him at the Kings

Reply #655372 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@LV promised starting?

Reply #655381 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People are getting a bit dizzy here. He was benched for a game. We will know if that was the wrong decision by the way he plays in the coming weeks. He's not going anywhere, yet. But I do imagine him and Sobey would butt heads because they both have fiery tempers.

Reply #655384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, would you blame him for leaving if he is benched for multiple games the same way as in Melb? Does seem like Sobey is still treated like a rookie when it comes to errors and form. He's not allowed to make mistakes without instant benching or fluctuation in time. It looks to be messing with confindence. After all, wouldn’t you want your gun really firing rather than messing with it? Both guys need to get over their issue and move on for the good of the team.

Reply #655386 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a fairly decent chance he broke some sort of team rule and was benched, I can't imagine it was purely about form.

Although the timing of his minutes doesn't make much sense then, either.

Reply #655387 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

As I said, we will know if it is the right decision in coming games. Certainly I wouldn't make a habit of benching him. And I hope Joey gets it out of his system. But sometimes the coach does need to show who is boss.

Reply #655388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK, the coach is boss, but that can be handled in house and not so publicly that you make yourself and your team look silly. Joey dismissed the questions and made it look like a conspiracy. If you want to teach a player a lesson, bench him for the whole game, or even multiple games, but don't F@&k up your team chemistry to prove your point. If Joey ever wants to coach in the NBA, he just did himself a huge injustice. Think of a coach like Greg Pop, who had it out with Lemarcus Aldridge, instead of trading him, Pop turned a negative situation into a positive growth for himself and his player. Wake up guys, if you think deliberate ejection was a great idea and that Joey is the master for getting Teched, that just shows he struggles to communicate when there is anger involved and he can’t think his way through it, he acts only on emotion instead of being rational. I think Joey knows the game well, and I think he should remain the coach, but IMO, this was very poorly mishandled.

Reply #655392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's never coaching NBA dude.

Reply #655394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You either miss a game due to suspension internal or what not or you play. Joey fucked the pooch with this one.

Reply #655442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long is Sobey under contract for?

Reply #655454 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Need I remind some of you twats that when Sobey first showed up at the Sixers, he was signed to a 3 year deal based on Joey seeing something in him... something h wasn't proving to many others. Sobey would step on the court for a min or 5 a game and the crowd would groan and some would whinge he was on...

Joey worked for HOURS on top of group practise to polish Sobey, to teach him to shoot with confidence amongst other things ... he's still a work in progress.

Those who know, know.
Those who don't, talk shit LOUDLY when they weren't a Sobey fan just 12 months prior.

Reply #655467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, regardless it's now Sobey who is the great player that can actually make a difference on the court. I’m very sure without Joey, Sobey was going to make it somewhere regardless. Sobey doesn’t owe Joey a thing it’s a business at this level.

Reply #655471 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What happened between Sobey and Joey?

Reply #655474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows, but Joey is obviously trying to prove a point and from the outside looking in it's the detriment of the team.
Then we have the Joey ejection. He's on a long term contract and that's the issue for the Sixers now.

Reply #655486 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

On the other hand, it's to the long term detriment of the team if Sobey is not playing to his considerable potential. If Joey feels like he has run out of other ways to get his message through then I don't have a problem with it.

Reply #655490 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adelaide with Wright is similar to Collingwood with Buckley.
Both overrated imo

Reply #655492 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it wright you are saying has buckleys hope. Think wright get far more hope than buckley. Time will tell. I feel people too quick to look at negatives. Toughen up.

Reply #655493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tried looking on spatialjam for free agents list.
Does anyone know what other site will list this offseasons upcoming list

Reply #655499 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey just re-signed to a 2 year deal however if the second year is an option he could leave at the end of the season.

Comparing Joey to Buckley? Yeah okay. Has Buckley ever coached Collingwood to a minor round premiership? Has Buckley ever won AFL coach of the year? Has Buckley coached another team to an AFL premiership?

Reply #655500 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Sixers were winning the game until Sobey came on. Don't forget that part of Koeys great plan.

Reply #655510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers were trailing when Sobey came in

Reply #655511 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Melbourne were in front by two when Sobey came on.

Reply #655512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey panicked when they lost that lead and brought in Sobey. I bet my left nut, if they had cruised from up 12, Sobey wouldnt have gotten in. Hypocritical actions imo.

Reply #655516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Those who know, Know" sounds just like a post Big Joe put on Facebook yesterday.

If Joey is teaching him a lesson, then do it in a more professional way. Bench him for an entire game, or more. But the way this was done lacked class.

Anon, many were there from the beginning, so giving a player a three year deal does mean you see potential, but in the same breath, I say that he also gave Doyle a three year deal. Hmmmm.

If Joey thinks he made Sobey, then make another one! Not that easy, it's rather complex.

Bottom line is, the Sixers need Sobey and Sobey needs the Sixers! They should get over their bulls&$t and play now. Joey and Sobey need to move on and show the love be again.

Reply #655522 | Report this post

Lots of people talking authoritatively about shit they are just guessing at.

Sobey has been up and down this year. He already got pulled from the starting 5, and responded to that with a good game off the bench. Back in the 5 and he is poor again against NZ.

Joey riding players or pulling the chair from under them in order to illicit a response and fire them up is nothing new. It's not a fantastic look but people are forgetting Sobey has had only 1 standout season. He's still young, still learning and no doubt teams have worked at negating his influence this season so he needs to work his way through that. Sobey being benched didn't cause the entire team to put in an average performance. He's not Jerome Randle, carrying the bulk of our scoring load. I'm happy to let the coach and player sort it out at this point.

Reply #655545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayne Veale "Sobey's not that good" “Drimic is better”. Ok buddy, run with that. You and I both know that’s not the truth. Even in a “slow start” he’s averaging around 13ppg 3.5ast 3.5rb at 45%. He is one of the only one’s who passes in transition and Drimic can’t do half the stuff he can. You’ve forgotten Drimic’s last season. Don’t get me wrong, Drmic is good (as a role player) Sobey is a star! Big difference buddy.

Reply #655562 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL site:

Wright's ejection capped off a dramatic evening that saw the veteran coach bench star guard Nathan Sobey.

Despite both coach and player telling media that form was behind the benching, sources close to the Adelaide 36ers have told NBL Media it was in fact for disciplinary reasons.

Reply #655580 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Seems like Sobey and Randle have some comradery on Twitter, so I wonder if the whole Sixers/Randle thing has had a flow on effect to one of the team's remaining stars?

Reply #655584 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey would want to be careful pull his head in he practically owes his career to the faith showed in him by Joey I'd hate to see him then jeopardise that relationship.

Clearly though Sobey is the kind of guy that needs to be ridden by the coach to find that motivation to play at his best.

Reply #655589 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Hahaha Drmic better than Sobey?

Can you tell me where to get this weed you're smoking?

Reply #655600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The weed is under the bridge with the troll.

Reply #655602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey probs pissed Sobey and Randle have remained friends. That pettiness wouldn't be beneath him.

Reply #655665 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

You coach to develop players and sometimes that relationship reaches a point where you just need to move on for both parties sake.

However none of us know what is happening in the inner sanctum. This may be the kick in the bum Sobey needs or alternatively perhaps Joey needs to see Sobey as a major piece of his puzzle and treat him with more respect. Who knows ...I certainly don't.

I'd think Sobey still has another crack at the bigger than NBL, he just needs to work out if that is best achieved by staying within the confines of Adelaide & the NBL - which has developed him nicely to date. Alternatively he needs to just get out and make a clean break and dedicate himself to getting into Europe at whatever level he can.

Couldn't see him leaving Adelaide for a Perth, NZ or Melb and these are the only moves that would perhaps make sense for me within the NBL.

Reply #655675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"comradery" FMD what a dope.

Reply #655690 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So I'm guessing but Sobey was stinking it up against New Zealand and the game was on the line and there was roughly a minute to go in the game and Sobey got benched in favour of Moore and the commentators made a comment about Sobey being more than displeased by this... if this was what triggered all this bull shit on this site and social media etc then that is a gross over reaction from all involved.

Sobey is a bloody good player but for all intents and purposes he may be a Tonny Jenson type where he only truly flourished for a single season.

All this crap about giving Joey credit for discovering Sobey... maybe you're right, when you play for Fearne you can certainly come across as unhappy to the point of being oppressed by his game style and not letting basketballers play with instincts and Sobey plays best instinctively and with a chip on his shoulder

Reply #655777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud, you're kidding yourself. Take an actual look at the numbers from this season and compare them to last. Now, with the turmoil taken into account, your Jesen comment holds zero weight. But whatever makes you happy......

Reply #655784 | Report this post

Rabbit41  
Years ago

Sobey played well last season in the Greek League with PAOK. He can easily get a contract in a Champions League or EuroCup team (levels below EuroLeague).

Reply #656669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754