koberulz
Years ago

Matt Knight announces retirement

Topic #42120 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can only hope. terribly risky and imo moronic decision to have played this season by himself and club.

Reply #655515 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Done deal, be up there one of the greats for the cat's, sad way to finish but a happy way to end it.

What's Perth next move? Keep Cooke? Got after a pf import that can play that role as center and pf?

Reply #655519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunigan time

Reply #655520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chase Daniel Johnson at seasons end to replace him. This was you have Brandt on the inside and DJ stretching the floor. DJ is a WA boy right?

Reply #655521 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Matthew "the walking injury" Knight :'( just could't not get injured throughout his entire 'Cats career. His most consistent year was 2015/16 when he played 33 of the team's 34 games. He was the best big man in the NBL at the peak of his career. Legend of the club, sad to see him go!

Reply #655523 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Redhage suggested this also in the last Wildcats broadcast

Reply #655534 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Well done Matty Knight, A champion of the Wildcats and the NBL. As others have said at his peak, he was the best big man in the country.

In hindsight, he should have retired at the end of last season, but he was cleared by the docs and the want to go on was understandable.

Reply #655553 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Just by the way he plays the game you would suggest it would be a miracle to avoid another head knock if he continued on. Such a great competitor and tough defender.

He showed his real value in the finals series last season when he rediscovered some of his best form. The cats offense looks so much more lethal when hes knocking down that mid range jump shot.

Reply #655556 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #655559 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

The DUNIGAN signal has been lit.

Reply #655560 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

So is this effective immediately or what?

NBL wasn't specific

Reply #655564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read the link Manu.

Reply #655565 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I mean, it has to be, with the wording of the final sentence. But you want to be sure before you lay the 'Cats for the championship

Reply #655566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its in the very first sentence of the article. Are you really this dumb?

Reply #655567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first line of the link says 'Perth Wildcats power forward Matt Knight has called time on his outstanding NBL career, effective immediately.'

Reply #655568 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Damn shame, another big man bloody unlucky when it came to injuries.

One of the best I've seen in the NBL. Never seemed to get the respect he was due. Fantastic off the ball, stretched the floor and unmoveable on D.

Respect to the big man, send that jersey to the roof.

(says a lot about the quality of Perth's roster when a player of this calibre retiring doesn't dent their champion chances at all)

Reply #655569 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

That's because DUNIGAN is ALWAYS waiting in the wings.

Reply #655570 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Congratulations on a great career.

Reply #655571 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Matt KNight - a future hall of famer, and a fantastic sportsman as well as a great basketballer.

Congratulations on a fabulous career.

Reply #655573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The centre of the best core through any NBL dynasty?

Reply #655575 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Very aggressive, anon. I was reading the NBL.com.au version. If YOU read what I said in my original comment, your dumb ass would've realised that. You would be laid out if you acted like that in person man.

I go to the league because I assume they would have the most accurate information. Apparently not

Reply #655576 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Quality player, but I couldn't see past the flopping. Big dude went to ground any chance he got

Reply #655577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl.com.au is for n00bs

Reply #655578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu is a boob

Reply #655579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" If YOU read what I said in my original comment, your dumb ass would've realised that. You would be laid out if you acted like that in person man."

hahahahahaha manu trolls the whole forum then threatens violence

Reply #655583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classic Manu, grow a set!

Reply #655588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be careful boys, he will lay you out on an anonymous forum!! OMG pure gold right there.

Reply #655590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, what a tough guy Manu is. Bwahahahah. #layout

Reply #655596 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Manu - haha yeah he was a HoF flopper too, but if the refs didn't call it he wouldn't do it ;)

I can look past that and the letter of apology.

Reply #655605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you guys want to talk about flopping, go to the Sobey thread.

Reply #655607 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

So Wildcats have said they may wait til mid season to sign a replacement....any ideas on who is available?

Reply #655609 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

You figure the home and home against new Zealand becomes huge for Cooke Jr. If he plays well he stays, if he plays poorly maybe they start looking for a replacement. Are there any young aussie bigs that could be lured back from College? You would have to think the cats will be looking to inject some aussie youth into their team. Our last young aussie rookie played in an AFL grand final earlier this year.

Reply #655613 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Waiting until mid season would give ample time for Cooke to prove himself.
In the short term Rhys Vague would be a suitable upgrade to main roster.

Reply #655619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng Gak redshirting this year wonder if he would consider NBL.

Reply #655623 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Quality player, but I couldn't see past the flopping. Big dude went to ground any chance he got"

Of all he has done you choose to remember flopping.

You really are as dumb as someone unable to read the first sentence.

Reply #655625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Matty

Reply #655634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole saga is dodgy.

Even the piece during half time shown didn't mention how many concussions Knight had had... it was only Lachie Reid after the piece had ended made the comment that Knight had suffered a DOZEN concussions. NBL/Wildcats probably aren't happy he said it.

How can he have had a dozen concussions and only now retire?

Reply #655638 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The piece during half-time mentioned he has had 13 concussions.

Reply #655639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It did? Okay. Wow...

Reply #655640 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Is Clint Steindl still in Perth?

Reply #655641 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Steindl is in Europe

Reply #655642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like the Greek team he was with released him.

Reply #655644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only problem with that is the Cats need a 4/5 man.
In saying that give more minutes to Cooke and Wagstaff ( Knight was only playing around 10 mpg anyway) and Steindl looks a good option for them remembering they can replace Cooke at anytime.

Reply #655646 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How about Redhage?

Reply #655648 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm cringing at your comments, anon. Parasite of an individual. But hey, at least teenagers are still talking Aussie hoops. Gives us hope for the future.

Podge, he may have been a stand-up guy but he wasn't one on the court. Double entendre. But I do love his passion for the game, wanting to play through all he's suffered. Buried us more than once over the years.

That unique running style was something to behold

Reply #655649 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I despise Redhage as both a player and commentator. But less as a commentator

Reply #655650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keyboard Warrior

Reply #655651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 titles 6 GF appreances in 7 years as a Cat.

Reply #655664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he only won three titles

Reply #655669 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I despise Redhage as both a player and commentator. But less as a commentator"

Yes thats fine but there aren't many experienced local PFs around.

Reply #655670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DC is actually a really good post defender and can alter shots. On offence you can use him well off the pick and roll with Cotton so he has his advantages. The Cats will probaly now sign a local big and keep DC.

Reply #655671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's often the flashy guys who get the glory, however make no mistake the blue chip nature of guys like Matty are what made the Cats.

I coached against Matt in 2001, and the big Tassie boy was killing it ...leading the comp with FG% & rebounding. We stuck Luke Nevill behind him and Tom Garlepp in front of him and dared someone else to beat us. Tassie kept playing through him and if it wasn't for Tom being such a mean SOB - they would of got us too.

Much respect for him and hope he looks after himself.

Reply #655672 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Above was from me ...not sure why it went anon

Reply #655673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any links or facts to Steindl being released?

Reply #655676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isn't on the roster of his Greek team anymore. Can't find confirmation though.

Reply #655679 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Matty's retirement press conference

Reply #655680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Greece/Panionios-ON-Telecoms-Athens/273?Year=2017-2018

Still has him on it, couldn't find anywhere on Eurobasket transactions about him being cut or twitter

Reply #655682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks

Reply #655683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allowing him to play on this season is a farce. Let's hope someone reviews their internal process's how this happened. Clearly the medical experts got it very very wrong.

Reply #655714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always liked Knight as a person and player. Glad he retired before something serious happened.

Reply #655719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lawsuit against the Cats in future if brain problems occur?

Reply #655723 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Steindl is in Australia yes.

Reply #655725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance he could be the first person with a brain injury in the NBL.

Reply #655730 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great to see this forum still has contributors who know more than the "medical experts", Wildcats management and the people around Matt.
And now some nuff nuff is predicting a brain injury.
FMD, just realise people are not quite as stupid as you like to think.

Reply #655735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not the first. Mitch Creek has clearly got some sort of brain damage.

Reply #655736 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Really sad that this thread has to get hijacked.
But back on topic, Congratulations to Matty on a fantastic career, and thank you for all the joy you have given us over the years.
Sad to see you bow out like this, but I applaud you for looking after your health, and your future.
Enjoy the next phase of your life.

Reply #655753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was cleared to play by the best in the field. Guess what they were wrong.
I love a strength and conditioning coach saying "However, Wildcats strength and conditioning coach Josh Cavanagh said the 32-year-old had avoided concussion against the Taipans."
""He just got a knock to the cheekbone," Cavanagh told The West Australian."
So where is Pottsy in this quote?

Then we have "but six concussion-related incidents in the past six years have raised concerns about long-term impact" Duh, there's a clue right there.

"It was the second serious head knock Knight had sustained in the past month. He was unable to play the next match both times." There in lies the problem.( March 6, 2017 ).
2 in one month, he should have been ruled out for several months at the minimum based on his concussion history.

Reply #655754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Experts were wrong as proven by that graze by a ball that concussed him.

Reply #655757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Boti Nagy:

"I remember in college they used to have a rule that if you have three concussions you're ruled out for the rest of the season, Matty had two quick ones, suffered a third and then they said we will make it four. We laughed about at the time but it stems back a long time he's been suffering these knocks," Martin recalled.

“Once he steps across the line, he's all in and he'd run through a brick wall to try and win a ball for his teammates.

“An undersized big man at 6 foot 7, he was at the height of some of the taller guys to turn around and get elbowed.

“Going after every rebound, he copped elbows and he took more charges than anyone I played alongside. I've always admired the way he played.”

Reply #655773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's just a wonderful young guy,’ Bevo said. “Well, he’s not so young anymore but he’s a beautiful person and everybody loved him.

“He is a warrior, that blue-collar worker who didn’t get massive mentions or accolades but was always in there doing the hard work, and not always the stuff that (gets) stats, like diving on loose balls, setting the screens.

“He’s the teammate everybody wants."

Reply #655774 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Thank you Knightmare, you've been a stellar player and contributor to our league and I wish you all the best for whatever you choose to do next.

Now pressing issues, if the Wildcats retire the #9 jersey then who's name will be on the back of it ? Paul Rogers or Matt Knight?

As for getting a new import in for Cooke, I'd love to see us get Mickell Gladness as that is elite rim protection there but I'm not willing to part with Cooke just yet... I'll also accept Dunigan and I hope we get Steindl next season

Reply #655778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gladness took over Mckay's job in Spain. Trev in the press conference said they have plenty of bigs in the team. In preseason they ran with waxy at the 5 and tokoto at the 4, can't see why they couldn't do that for spot minutes with a steindl on the floor and try run and gun. I know it hasn't worked for Sydney but really Gaze doesn't have much of a clue

Reply #655786 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Farewell big fella. A fine career cut short too early

Reply #655873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have been cut 1 season ago at the minimum.

Reply #655930 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Steindl back training with the team apparently

Reply #655939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Captain Hindsight.

Reply #655941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hindsight is 20/20... except for Knight since he's concussed all the time.

Reply #655948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes love those that comment when they have no knowledge of the subject.

Reply #655983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We obviously do know what we were talking about - otherwise why would a player RETIRE mid-season.

Reply #656004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754