Anonymous
Years ago

Why isn't Cody Ellis getting minutes?

Someone raised this as a post previously about his lack of minutes, but now 5/6 rounds in, this guy is still yet to see minutes in a struggling Hawks outfit.

Anyone know what's going on over there?

Topic #42121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sucks

Reply #655586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Garlepp of the Hawks it seems.

Reply #655587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Garlepp of the Hawks but minus the history of playing hard and being a valuable, consistent contributor

Reply #655591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he got laid out by Manu

Reply #655592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange because there was so much pre-season hype about him shedding all that weight and being in career best shape

Reply #655593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has been an average player for a while now. Probably lucky to have a roster spot.

After a while as average players age and stop developing they stop getting minutes and drop out of the league.

Reply #655594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was carrying too much weight last season.

Seems to have actually done something about that in the off-season, however now looks too skinny? He seems to also be a bit self conscious about it by wearing a shirt underneath his singlet.

In the first games of the season where he actually got minutes he was getting easily manhandled by anyone matched up on him. So he lost weight instead of converting the fat into muscle so is in an even worse position now.

Strange situation.

Reply #655595 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Fat doesn't convert to muscle, it's just most fat people have more muscle under the fat than skinny people because they have to constantly bare the weight of the fat. It just so happens that apparently a lot of Corey's weight was not the underlying muscle, and he was always just skinny-fat. Or there's also the issue of maybe doing too much cardio and not hitting the weight room enough to maintain the muscle he had. As anyone with any background in fitness would know, you tend to burn muscle with excessive cardio, not fat.

Having said that he was never a particularly good player and was probably lucky to be tossed a bone at NBL level. Illawarra really are a team of off cuts, and Corey is an off cut of an off cut.

Reply #655597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That makes sense ME, he lost weight but wasn't hitting the weight room.

Reply #655601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody not playing has zero to do with his strength or lack of it or anything on-court. His situation is close to the Garlepp one in Sydney, Management have a lot to answer for.

Reply #655603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't fat, he was just big boned

Reply #655608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

8 teams and 3 imports per team leaves otherwise decent players struggling for minutes. I imagine someone like Coenraad was biding his team in Sav's shadow, waiting for his chance to start and get minutes. Had a year where he was MVP in a weak team, now struggling for minutes on the bench.

Jawai played 14 MPG before getting injured.

Garlepp 4 MPG. Young 7 MPG. Ellis 7 MPG (and a string of DNPs now). Moller 9 MPG. Bruce, Teys, White 10 MPG. Deng 12 MPG.

Reply #655611 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Yeah, looks like he has a contract and they are just keeping him for insurance if someone goes down rather than cutting him.

Credit to him though, he's been supporting the boys on the bench rather than moping...

Reply #655612 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Pleased to see Cody got a huge man hug from Bevo after Sundays Kings game.
It is not out there yet but owner/manager decreed to our coach that if he played Ellis Bevo could lose his coaching role. WHY? it will come out sooner or later. Cody is a key ingredient to the Hawks final hopes. However even if you don't know anything about our game, if you have the money your the Boss.

Regardless of the King's GM's spin Tom Gartlepp was made aware before preseason that he was not going to play this season. Gartlepp has a year to run on his contract and has elected to sit on the bench as the Kings have not paid hi contract out. Personally I think Tom could have had a winning role fort he team to date as he is a workhorse & capability to rebound and score. VALE the KINGS

Reply #655615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is not out there yet but owner/manager decreed to our coach that if he played Ellis Bevo could lose his coaching role. WHY? it will come out sooner or later.

Ooooooo, the plot thickens.

Reply #655616 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Ellis doesn't set the world on fire but I think he would be servicable for about 10 mgp.

The only reason he is not getting minutes that I can see if last year there was Marvelle Harris and Coenraad ahead of him. This year Marvelle has become Conger who should command at least 25 mpg.

Having said that Coenraad seems to be taking a step back already so I would hope Bevo looks to the future a bit.

Reply #655620 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

"Decent" players don't struggle for minutes.

Fringe players who aren't up to the standard struggle for minutes.

Reply #655621 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Or owners dictating to coaches who to play and who gets minutes. Pointy bits is on the money

Reply #655622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pointybits is right on the money.

Reply #655624 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Cody is a key ingredient to the Hawks final hopes. "

Clarke and Conger are what I consider to be 'key'.

Ellis is a part of the team and its success but 'key' is going too far.

Reply #655627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just say why, don't try and sully either the player or the owner with suggestion of a rumour.

Reply #655629 | Report this post

AbitMore  
Years ago

Who would you take minutes away from to give to Ellis ?

Nick Kay is in the best form of his NBL career and probably Hawks best domestic player right now
Oscar is shooting 46% from the 3

Can't see why you'd take minutes away from either of those to give them to Cody Ellis.

Sucks to be the 11th man but that is the way it is

Reply #655633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever the reason, it possibly had an effect

If you look at Kay and Foreman's stats when sharing minutes with Ellis (first 3 games and then not sharing minutes next 5 games)

Kay
1st 3 games - averaged 5 PTS, 3.5 RPG, 2.3 APG (Team 0-3)
next 5 games - averaged 12.2 PTS, 4.2 RPG, 3.6 APG (Team 3-2)

Foreman
1st 3 games - averaged 2.3 PTS, 0.6 RPG, 0 APG (Team 0-3)
next 5 games - averaged 9 PTS, 2.2 RPG, 0.2 APG (Team 3-2)

Reply #655637 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I wish he was playing more. Picked him in my dream team, because he was cheap, and I thought, as a player in a contract year who had (apparently) got himself into shape, he may amount to some cheap DT points.
D'oh!

Reply #655684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is not possible the owner told the coach what to do.

the coach coaches the team hence the name coach.

If he is not playing it is because he is not good enough. end of

Reply #655689 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Didn't Spencely force Jahii Carson on Gordie?

Reply #655696 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"it is not possible the owner told the coach what to do.

the coach coaches the team hence the name coach."

It's possible for an owner to say absolutely anything. The question is not what an owner CAN do, but what an owner SHOULD do.

Reply #655701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spencely as an owner has been pathetic so far. Let's not forget interference with players has occurred before.

Reply #655705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Spencley the guy who kept the team still current?

Reply #655708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He bought them from community ownership which wasn't travelling so well.

But since then the club have gone down in terms of bum on seats and owner interfering with player issues.

Reply #655711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure numbers are significantly up since the community days, many sell out games last year. So not sure that is an accurate statement

Reply #655713 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

Haven't the hawks gone from dead last to SF to GF since he took over ?

Reply #655715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds aren't as good as pre-community model. Still haven't recovered. You would think a new owner would want to drive memberships. They actually hired the Wildcats membership manager but then sacked him not long after...

Reply #655722 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

That would be their GM Kim Welch who came from Wildcats and is still there and from what I heard they just had a club record seated membership year of 1400 which is at least double what it was a few years back

Reply #655727 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

New York Knicks anyone?

Reply #655728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whoever gave Ellis less minutes should get a medal. he had a terrible season last year and was a worse in the first few games of this season

Reply #655731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he just got promoted? ok... thought there was noise he got sacked...

Reply #655733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still overall attendance is poor. Used to get 4,000 and 5k if Kings came to town now what is it 2-3,000 max if lucky? Now even when the Kings come down it's only 2.5k.

Reply #655734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last round attendance
http://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp.php?sid=4

SYD @ PTH 13,309
CNS @ MEL 6,542
SYD @ ILL 2,892
ADL @ NZB 2,732
ILL @ BRIS 2,640

If you go back a few years to 2013-2014 the attendance at the WEC was between 1700-2400.

Last season ranged between 2800-5000 which you'd expect with a team that just made the playoffs and then a final.

Attendance is overall up at Wollongong but like most of the major cities, attendance isn't going to make it back to the big numbers unless the NBL gets it's popularity back, which it looks like it is on track to do.

Reply #655739 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Also attendance for the Adelaide @ Melbourne game was 8,213.

Reply #655744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. The NBL are talking up attendances by 8% overall. Somone needs to start a NBL crowd topic.

Reply #655749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three 2k crowds in one round. I thought we were in the LK era?

Reply #655758 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

NZ @ Cairns was 4,201 too.

Reply #655762 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Was it the ILL @ BRIS game that was played out of the Gold Coast rather than Brisbane? Or was that the round before?

Reply #655764 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was Melbourne last week.

Reply #655765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*** STOP PRESS ***
Fringe NBL player not getting any minutes. Friends and family complain online

*** NEWS AT ELEVEN ***
Eating less best way to weight loss
Politicians can't be trusted

Reply #655783 | Report this post

Tony Abbott  
Years ago

Sellouts last year? They didn't even sell out the Grand Final.

Before the new owner and new GM there was also never a curtain blocking one end of the court or giant flag covering seats at the other end. But there's floor seats for the posers.

They also used to let fans on the court after all games, which kids loved.

Reply #655787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/11/07/plenty-player-drama-beneath-nbl-surface/

Reply #655795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach benches one of australia's best players who he had an argument with

Owners bench crowd favourite and previous captain

Owners bench average performer

Welcome to professional sports !

Reply #655799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the office benches someone and not the coach to me it crosses the line of a coaches independance. How can Rob Beverage be truly responsible for a season where he couldnt play the team the way he wanted.

If I was a talented junior with multiple options in the NBL I would avoid Sydney and Illawara. Not sending a good message on how it treats players who contributed to success in previous years.

If its the coaches decision not to play them, then fair enough. But head office politics is childish.

Reply #655803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Roar article nails it as far as the Ellis case is concerned. Absolutely disgraceful that people who have little to no idea about basketball are dictating who should and shouldn't play to one of the best coaches this league has ever seen, an NBL championship winner and coach of a World Champion team, who, by the way, got a team with the smallest payroll in the league into the semis and Grand Final in back to back years!! Here's an idea - how about you let your employees do what they are best at rather than micro-managing!! Good business sense I would have thought.

Reply #655809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely any of this is black and white. It probably goes more like this

Owners "we are 0-3 and suck, let's try something different game 4"
Coaches “can’t hurt, we have sucked”
Group
Owners or coaches “ok let’s take a chance, start Rot and play Nick Kay more minutes”
Group “let’s we how it goes for a game”

Coach goes player “yeah out of my hands buddy, came from upstairs, we still good right?”

Next game

Group “oh look we won and played better”
Owners or coach: “shall we just keep doing what we just did, might have worked 0-3 did suck”
Group “let’s go a couple more”

Coach to player “yeah still pushing them for you buddy, I’m on your side”

Fast forward 5 games
Owners or coach “since making change we are 3-2 anyone want to change back”
Group

Player tells family and friends “coach told me it was out of his hands”. Friends tell hoops, journalist reads hoops, lowest IQ hoops members post outrage at coaches being told what to do.

I’d bet you see Cody play again if things change but Nick Kay is literally on fire so not sure why either coach or owner would make a change at all right at this point. You would tend to make changes when things badly not when you start winning games.

Reply #655810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should Beveridge walk away in protest?

Reply #655811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Abbott exactly, but there is a Hawks propaganda machine trying to insist crowds have improved. Yeah right.

Reply #655812 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From the Roar article:

Ellis scored 14 points over the opening three games. While his minutes were low, there wasn't anything too unusual. But that’s when the decision was taken out of coach Beveridge’s hands.

Club owners had made the call that Ellis was no longer part of the Hawks’ future and told Beveridge he wasn’t to play him anymore. He hasn’t hit the court for a single second over the past five games.
If that's true, seems like a quick way to frustrate your coach and players and create future recruiting trouble for yourself?

Reply #655836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lowest IQ hoops members posting outrage"

“Should Beveridge walk away in protest?”

Hahahah

Reply #655838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't recall a time where 2/8 NBL clubs were acting so unprofessionally. Owners should not be interfering with coaches.

Reply #655841 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Reading the Roar article, I really feel for Garlepp and Ellis.

I'm going into this assuming they've not doing anything wrong.

OK fair enough these 2 aren't part of their team's plans going forward but at the most selfish level, these 2 can still contribute on the court for god's sake. The article is right that the Kings and Hawks were just limiting themselves to 10 when all others had 11.

Cutting their own nose off to spite their face so to speak.

At least give them a few minutes every game so they can show prospective teams next year they can still be of value. This is like giving someone a good reference.

Reply #655860 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Also on the Hawks, broguht me back to why Gordie left.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3157832/gordie-mcleod-reveals-reasons-for-hawks-exit/

Here Gordie's reasons were very diplomatic, but I cannot find the other article which suggested it was how the new ownership treated the existing staff and players (pay and entitlements) during the VA.

This should have been bad enough but I supported Hawks (as my second team because of what Bevo brought to the team).

But now with this Ellis saga, it really hits home that the Hawks are just as ruthless as everyone else. Even the Wildcats had the decency to pay out Mathiang Muo his 3 year contract at the beginning of year 2.

I reckon all Hawks supporters should stand up to this.

All Hawks fans should stand up and chant 'Bring on Cody' at each home game.

That will show the ownership this is not how Hawks treat their own.

Reply #655861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spencely finally getting exposed. Has the unique combination of running the club cheaply plus being awful at the same time.

Reply #655863 | Report this post

Tony Abbott  
Years ago

The Hawks fans should have stood up when Dave Gruber was axed.

Reply #655864 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Agreed....Dave Gruber is no superstar granted but he fitted the Hawk's blue collar culture so perfectly. The guy wasn't particularly great at anything like handles or shooting but he get 100% and put his body on the line each time against better opposition.

Reply #655865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doesn't the league boss pull Spenceley in to line??

Reply #655867 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

Gerrigong Advocate

3 Hawks fans on niche basketball website work out their multi million dollar budget, professional sporting team doesn't make player decisions based on how good a bloke they are.

"It’s just not how things are done, we come from a blue collar working class town and we expect our basketball team, operating in a professional league to make decisions not based on things like skills, scoring, shooting." Said one unidentified fan

What we want is average players, with good skills but not too good mind you, if I’ve had a beer with him or he smiled at my kid, I demand he plays more, espicially if I have his singlet or he’s in my fantasy team.

I mean we buy bronze tickets every year and yet the club keeps operating against how we think things should be done. It’s exactly like they don’t want to listen to our advise in running the team.

In what most might have seen as ironic, the group of 3 complaining about external influence on playing group and minutes, suggest starting a chant to demand their favourite hard done by average player gets more minutes. “I read an article with no quotes or comment from anyone, so you know, we’ve got to take matters into our own hands.”

“I mean we’re not asking much, we just want to go one better this year and win the championship while making sure we give the least strongest performing players a fair allocation of minutes and get themselves a good reference for next season.” Said another fan who was calling for heads to roll when they were playing like crap in the grand final series.

More to come

Reply #655874 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting roar article. Thanks

Reply #655875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK and Spenceley are "mates" through business.

So Spenceley buying the team may be more of a favour to LK.

Reply #655878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon1980 - hai James Spenceley.

Reply #655879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Anon1980 sure does sound like him:

Spenceley was introduced to Wollongong in June as a shrewd and accomplished businessman, but the millionaire's biting reaction to some fans gave an interesting insight into the way he intends to do business in the NBL.

"If you want me to return the club to the community, I'll do that right now and you can take it over and make decisions based on the criteria you set around effort and work ethic and family," he wrote on Facebook in response to fans' concerns.

"If you want to come put your money on the line too, please come in tomorrow and you'll be a welcome part of the open and transparent decision-making process we have today."

Reply #655882 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What has he done that there could possibly be any 'pulling in line' for from the NBL?

Reply #655886 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

Hahah no, but I used to work for him, maybe it rubbed off.

That was a Betoota advocate take off and a rather good one if I do say, if you don't follow Betoota advocate you don’t know what your missing.

Reply #655896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I got it.

Reply #655900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully this "revelation" doesn't mean beveridge will go back to the shit rotations he was using. The "give everyone a go" method isn't always the best.

Reply #655905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this spurs the hawks on. They're on a bit of a hot streak at the moment and this might be the motivation they need (if it isn't already)

Reply #655915 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Hopefully this "revelation" doesn't mean beveridge will go back to the shit rotations he was using. The "give everyone a go" method isn't always the best."

You mean the rotations that he used to get the Hawks to the GF last year?

Reply #655916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I hope this spurs the hawks on. They're on a bit of a hot streak at the moment and this might be the motivation they need (if it isn't already)"

Huh? How does what spur the Hawks on? LOL....?

Reply #655918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Huh? How does what spur the Hawks on? LOL....?"

Players rallying together and rising in the face of adversity. All that good stuff.

Reply #655936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They already knew what was going on the moment Ellis DNPed... and they still seem run of the mill.

Reply #655947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754