AbitMore
Years ago

NBL crowds thread

The only interesting thing out of the cody ellis minutes thread was the crowd numbers.

Thought it might be interesting to compare how well each team/management is doing adjusted for population, the only fair way to look at it.

So taking the most recent attendances I could find from each team (not all the same round) and then dividing it by population of the town (not greater region) to get a population adjusted number.

Cairns 4201 3.0%
Illawarra 2892 1.4%
Perth 13309 0.8%
Adelaide 5970 0.5%
Auckland 2732 0.2%
Melb 6542 0.2%
Sydney 6400 0.2%
Brisbane 2640 0.1%

Brisbane is the worst performing by a long way.

Shout out to Cairns and Illawarra management who are massively out indexing the other teams.

Topic #42124 | Report this topic

AbitMore  
Years ago

another way to look at it is Facebook followers by population

Cairns 16924 12.1%
Illawarra 16590 8.2%
Perth 115911 6.9%
Auckland 90000 6.5%
Adelaide 41210 3.4%
Melbourne 58000 1.5%
Brisbane 25532 1.3%
Sydney 46977 1.2%

Again Cairns and Illawarra at the top of the list. The order to the above attendance is pretty similar.

Big ups to Cairns and Illawarra, a lot more work to do for Brisbane and Sydney, 1% is really low.

Reply #655792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course the regional teams are going to "out perform" capital cities in attendance. What are Cairns and Illawarra management doing that the Perth, Adelaide and Auckland could learn from?

Reply #655800 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Good topic. FB likes can be a good indication of how well a club engages with fans, but there would be a small number of people that like a number of clubs. Im a Perth fan, but I also like Melboure and Sydney on FB so those FB likes can be skewed a bit. Plus its very easy to like any team. No effort is required, unlike attending the game.

Sydney had 7200 at their last game on Sunday which I thought was bloody unbelievable considering how bad they've been (again). I have no idea whats going on in Sydney anymore. In years past they wouldn't have gotten more than 4000 for a game like that. They still cant win games (or assemble a good roster) but they seem to have their off court game working for them. Maybe Sydney dont care about winning as much as we think they do? Will be interesting to see if they can keep getting over 6000 regularly despite the losing.

Illawarra may have a good percentage of people attending in relation to their population, but I think they should be getting more than 2700, even if they have improved. They have historically always had the lowest crowds and their 'battler' persona doesnt really work for me, when they made the GF last year ahead of Melbourne and Sydney. They should be getting bigger crowds given their on court success recently.

Brisbane are and probably always wil be the leagues toughest market to gain support. They just struggle for support. NZ are the most fickle supporters - and they need to ditch the North Shore.

Reply #655801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra got big crowds a number of years ago but they gave a huge amount of those tickets away. All the attendance is now paid (or sponsor etc) People might be adjusting to actually having to pay for a tickets.

Reply #655802 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Wildcats having 5 home games so far (at an 8% increase on last seasons average) might be skewing the stats..

Total NBL crowds this season = 184,327
Wildcats crowds this season = 67,914

So slighter more than 1 in 3 people that have been at NBL game have been at a game at Perth Arena.

Reply #655804 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne vs Dandenong WNBL game attracted 3,157 last night. A great crowd.

Reply #655805 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

The Hawks have priced a few ex-members and casual fans out. There were significant hikes in the "Silver" (second worst) ticket categories, and the back three rows (Bronze) are nearly always full.

Reply #655806 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

No surprizes there, Brisbane never wanted a team,it was forced on them.

Reply #655813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone in Brisbane care about the Bullets? None of their fans are on here for example. Every other team is repped on hoops.

Reply #655814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stats would suggest Brisbane doesn't care

Reply #655815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact that the NBL had to bring in their own team tells the story.

The NBL touting the crowd stats story. Personally I think it's BS.
http://nbl.com.au/news/article/38014-nbl-crowds-set-new-record-201718

Reply #655817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it BS?

Reply #655819 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not sure I am buying the propaganda either just yet. Perth crowds are up, which surprises me considering they were big anyway, and I think Melbourne's are up too.

But what's happening elsewhere? Because that's what matters IMO if we are really talking health of the whole league. I'd much rather see increases in places like Wollongong & Brisbane than the teams who already have the biggest crowds.

Reply #655820 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Its definately skewed because of the amount of home games Perth have played. Crowd averages will always go up when Perth play at home (and now Melbourne too).

But im glad the NBL have put out a press release promoting this fact. You can guarantee all other sports would do the same thing if they could say they had an 8% increase in the first few weeks of a new season.

This has also been boosted by good crowds in Adelaide, Sydney and Cairns too, and thats probably more encouraging.

Reply #655823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Melbourne is averaging more than 8000 after their first three home games, which is a brilliant figure so far.

I think the NBL would be very happy with turnouts in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney. Brisbane obviously a work in progress.

Reply #655830 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think almost any amount will sound small when you show it by percentage of population. The NBL is doing just fine with crowds though, in my estimation, and that will only grow as the season progresses.

Reply #655831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds last season:

Three sub 3k crowds. Atrocious!

Reply #655833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry, the last game of the previous round was 2,892 which gives me three sub 3k crowds. Still not good.

Reply #655834 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the NBL would be very happy with turnouts in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney. Brisbane obviously a work in progress.
Exactly. I think Melbourne and Sydney will be keys for them.

Go back a while and the Tigers were getting 4k or whatever it was?

Reply #655837 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Through the majority of last decade the league-wide average crowd was in the 3000s. Last season it was something like 6400 and it's on track for a similar figure this year.

Crowds are certainly not the worry now, it's trying to find a way to steadily build that TV audience. Hopefully they'll make some good inroads internationally, because it will be very hard work getting significant improvements here.

Reply #655850 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Sydney have played 3 home games. The first one gave all members 2 free tickets each to bring friends, and last Sunday was free for all kids wearing their junior jerseys, and $15 for adults accompanying them. I wouldn't say the crowds are very good at all, not paid attendance anyway.

I could cop the losing if they were a fun team to watch, but there is almost nobody that gets the crowd into it in this years squad.

Reply #655895 | Report this post

Abitmore  
Years ago

I wonder if there is a correlation between Facebook fans and TV viewers ... don't have those stats but would be cool to see them

Reply #655921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's BS because an 8% overall increase in Perth is it! No increases anywhere else.
Arguably decreases in the Gong and possibly Brisbane.
1/3 of the crowds are in Perth. Doesn't say much for the support across the rest of Aus.

Reply #655924 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Speaking as Brisbane member (if not quite a fan, displaced Taipans tragic) there are some clearly issues in market, suitability of arena, member base, pricing and so on.

2640 however is pretty sad, particularly given that it was a Friday night game with literally no sporting competition that night (Roar played Sunday). The membership base is around 1000 or so from most accounts but the price hike pre-season seems to have cut numbers. However the empty seats were strikingly obvious and seemed more numerous than they were at any point last year.

The arena issue is always going to limit the Bullets until the mooted Brisbane Live project gets up. Playing at the Convention Centre (high rent, low capacity) limits their ability to vary ticket prices, or so management states.

The alternative is the Entertainment Centre, where they're playing four games this year but the extra capacity is countered by the location, outdated facilities, parking costs and traffic pre and post game. Tickets are slightly cheaper to these games, with promos a plenty, but it isn't realistic to play every game there, especially if corporate support is a priority.

It isn't a case of on court success equals bums on seats, the Lions still averaged over 16 000 this year whilst being awful and having been so for the better part of a decade.

I don't envy the Brisbane front office having to negotiate the quagmire of SEQ sport.

Reply #655926 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's funny, any year in any sport when crowd figures are released someone is calling BS!

Reply #655929 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Brisbane also has the worst social media presence out of all the teams, no incentives to become a member and 0 media presence and promotion. Kind of what you'd expect really.

Reply #655942 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

While Sydney may be loosing on the court, they are making it up in their in-game entertainment, games are a lot more enjoyable the last few seasons compared to earlier in the decade.

Reply #655952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AEG that's why.

Reply #655953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane is sad as I can remember going up there in glory days with huge crowds with band playing and a entertaining Bullet man.

Reply #655985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge crowds based on 1000's of freebies.

Reply #655993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even during the Groves era to mid 2000s period when they finally were good again after what seemed like forever no one in Brisbane cared.

I think no one cared since the Bullets peaked too early in the late 80s then were an also ran team during the key early 90s period.

Reply #656005 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754