Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign Jerome Randle

Is this enough to get them back in contention? We obviously all know about Randle, but is Tyler a dominant centre at NBL level?

Topic #42138 | Report this topic

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Ol' mate Boti loves his sauce http://www.botinagy.com/blog/sauces-say-it-will-soon-be-king-jerome/

Reply #656154 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

What company has catering contract at Qudos?

I wanna buy shares.

Reply #656157 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kings should be championship favourites now, straight up.

Jeremy Tyler is just as impressive a signing as Randle

Reply #656158 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Kings now instantly legit. Perry Ellis as a 4 = MVP considerations

Reply #656159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true Sydney will be very tough - if they can catch up to the top 4.

Reply #656160 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Sydney radio even reporting it now (Randle), and they usually don't even give Kings scores unless its a slow news day. They were clearly fed the information, they wouldn't bother sourcing it themselves.

Reply #656161 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/sydney-kings-sign-jerome-randle-and-jeremy-tyler-are-expected-to-release-travis-leslie-sources/news-story/a3d154237cd5b9488e7b5c86290d1a87

Reply #656162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Randle signing the Kings fans finally have a reason to feel good about the team. But as far as Gaze coaching goes, IMO he's not a coach and the list of potential replacements should start ASAP!
Followed by replacing JVG!!

Reply #656163 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I just hope they have signed at least Randle to a multi year deal. What Illawarra did with Clarke is what you need to do, get some stability by signing imports who are proven here for multiple years.

Reply #656166 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I thought Randle said he would only play for one NBL team because he was so loyal. Wonder how much loyalty is costing Sydney then?

Reply #656167 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Make or break for Gaze now. If you can't win with Randle-Lisch-Newley-Powell-Tyler, maybe this coaching stuff isn't for you.

Reply #656168 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Powell... yikes. I of course mean Perry....

Reply #656169 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Didn't Randle sign a multi year deal in Turkey? Fallen through, not being paid, out clause?

I find this one a bit hard to believe until the Kings actually announce it.

Reply #656170 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Game changer.

No excuses for Drewy now.

2-6 is a long way back, and it'll take a while to work them in. But this makes the Kings the wildcard now.

Reply #656171 | Report this post

How ironic that Randle destroyed Sydney the last couple of seasons and now might be there to build them back up.

Reply #656172 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

This season just keeps getting better! Always great to have the mvp back in the league. Legit 5 contenders now, is it to little to late?

At least Sydney are making the effort for the club, fans and entire league, need Sydney to be competitive and successful so the competition can keep growing.

Reply #656174 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Randle was shooting the 3 at 58% in turkey...

Reply #656178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, adding two players to the shitshow that is the Kings does not make them contenders.

Reply #656179 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

A couple of pretty good players they're adding might make some difference!

Reply #656182 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Even as a Kings fan, I don't buy the whole "the league needs the Kings to be successful to be successful" thing... The Sydney market is notoriously difficult and very football-code orientated, not to mention there is really no significant tribal support left for the NBL...

Sydney basketball fans love a winner though and a big name, and Randle brings these in bunches... He'll be great for sound bites and articles and great for fans as well... Not sure how he is community-wise, as Chill set a pretty high standard for all to follow...

Powell... yikes. I of course mean Perry....

HAHAHAHA... I nearly spit my coffee all over my laptop when I read this... Not a closet Powell fan after all were you, mate? lol...

Reply #656183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've split Tyler's signing off to its own thread.

At the very least, this makes the NBL even more interesting!

Reply #656184 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ASnjCqxYJI

He's a big boy...should help on defense big time. They really don't need scoring from him given what else is happening with the lineup.

Reply #656185 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Adds a little extra spice to the NSW rivalry. Such a shame that the garbage NBL draw has had the Kings already play the Hawks three times.

Reply #656187 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like it.
Things just got interesting again for Sydney.

Reply #656188 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

JVG the genius finally filling the spots that any simpleton could see were the weaknesses. Hope they miss the playoffs by 1 loss

Reply #656190 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Sydney vs 36ers rivalry reignited? Randle the new Heal? Ohhhhh this is good

Reply #656191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tyler/Humphries
Perry/Pineau
Newley/Blanchfield
Lisch/Kendle
Randle/Cadee

Ridiculously talented line-up, but I don't think it will work. Typical of the Kings that they are the worst defensive team in the league so they get a scorer who can't defend!

At least they will be interesting to watch and will have some spectacular offensive nights, as well as some great blow-ups too I'd imagine.

Reply #656193 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Doesn't this prove JVG was talking horse shit?

Reply #656194 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ WookieE; definitely NOT... I literally just unfollowed him from Twitter this morning, hence he was on the brain... :D

Reply #656195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright Vs Randle will be awesome drama! Very happy to have Jerome Randle back in the league.

Reply #656197 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Doesn't look good for JVG, does it. Fanbase (And assorted other NBL fans) all knew what the Kings needed months before the GM did.

Reply #656199 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

Saturday 18th november.

Randle back in the building!!

Reply #656200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether or not the signings make Sydney better remains to be seen but I think we can all agree that Boti's uses of sauce jokes is extremely lame.

Reply #656203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Kendle not an import?

In Pauls lineup, there is Randle, Kendle, Perry and Tyler.

Either way, very interesting team with their new additions!

Reply #656204 | Report this post

Hobbs  
Years ago

Even Mrs Gaze should be able to Coach this team , no more excuses now.
Pretty much an admission of how wrong the roster was at the start of the season.

Reply #656205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, Kendle is an import. He'll be cut to make way for Randle.

Reply #656206 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Indeed, my bad, so Thoseby takes that spot. Still, while that makes it a bit weaker, they've got more than enough coverage on the wings!

Reply #656209 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

More like..

Tyler/Humphries/Singh
Perry/Pineau
Newley/Blanchfield
Lisch/Thoseby
Randle/Cadee

Still impressive though. Why couldn't they pull this off in game one is interesting.

Reply #656210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Lisch comes back, they need to cut someone to get to 11. I'd expect that to be Thoseby. Won't be Singh for marketing reasons, and won't be Pineau because of the Gaze family relationship. Unlikely that it would be Garlepp as they've got him for insurance reasons. So the depth chart will ultimately be:

Randle/Cadee/Daly (DP)
Lisch/Blanchfield (will back up the 2/3)
Newley
Ellis/Pineau/Garlepp
Tyler/Humphries/Singh

Reply #656215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could cut Tommy G

Reply #656218 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Tyler/Humphries
Perry/Pineau
Newley/Blanchfield
Lisch/Kendle
Randle/Cadee

???? Kings have 4 imports

Reply #656219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, they'll also have to cut Kendle along with Leslie. Which means until Lisch is back, their guards are more or less Randle and Cadee. Bit d-lite, right?

Reply #656221 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How far away is Lisch?

Don't forget, the FIBA/International ball break will take up a couple of weeks of his rehab time.

The original timeline was 8 weeks I think? If that's on track, a month left? How many more games until he's back- possibly not too many?

Reply #656222 | Report this post

Does anyone know what happened in Turkey to result in Randle becoming available? I haven't been following him over there.

Reply #656223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Sixer fan, I'll still cheer on Randle. Great to see him back in the league. Very happy with our import choices this year!

Reply #656225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adding Randle & Tyler to the Kings roster still leaves me with the Big Questions..

Who is on the team will play any type of DEFENSE!?

Reply #656226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze is still the coach though. Gooooood luck.

Reply #656229 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.sydneykings.com/news/article/35860-reigning-nbl-mvp-comes-harbour-city-randle-now-king

Won't end well, IMO.

Reply #656242 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kendle is staying with the team this weekend and will then be released when Randle joins them the following round.

Reply #656243 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Good for the league, a little sad Adelaide couldn't get him but good for the standard of the NBL regardless.

Reply #656245 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Jezuz, Tyler looks big on an NBA court, he's gonna look like Shaq out there.

Aussie boys better get back in the weights room!

Reply #656246 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

One the best PG in the modern Era. Here's a tip for Gaze. The rest of the Kings need to cut and rebound. Not just stand on the perimeter and watch him.

Reply #656247 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's better suited for the "Lisch role" in the offense right now, where he gets the ball at the top of the arc with 6 seconds left on the shot clock and needs to create something from nothing.

Interesting thing with Tyler will be, as with all import bigs with some size (girth in particular), how well he manages to avoid fouling out in 15 mins of court time with the way the game gets called here.

Reply #656251 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sydney's rotation chart.

Rotation chart rather than depth chart, because these are the guys who will get serious minutes. I’m leaving Humphries in there, I think he’s shown enough:

Tyler/Humphries/Ellis
Ellis/Blanchfield
Newley/Blanchfield
Lisch/Cadee
Randle/Lisch/Cadee

2 ex MVP’s in Randle and Lisch. Backed up by Cadee, who, despite his detractors can flat out score on his night.

Ellis who’s been starring, Newley who is still probably the 3rd best small forward in the league, even with this year’s strong crop. Tyler who averaged 21ppg 10rpg in China. Blanchfield who was rated an NBA prospect only 2 years ago after his breakout season in Townsville. Hasn’t come along as expected but still a decent NBL player.

Not bad, is it?

Reply #656253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"2 ex MVP's in Randle and Lisch. Backed up by Cadee, who, despite his detractors can flat out score on his night."

It's an interesting one because in the current system Cadee is 4th in the league in assists and Lisch 7th, and both have around a 3:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, which is excellent.

But I can't see how you can run that system with Randle, who requires the ball in hand. I'm fascinated to see how it all works.

The funny thing is, the offence is the least of the worries, generally it's working except for the absence of offensive rebounding. Will it improve enough now to make up for the lack of D?

Reply #656254 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great to see Randle back in the league.
Now the Kings look stacked... déjà vu anyone.
5 teams look capable of winning the championship

Reply #656258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defence wins championships. Kings - nope...

Reply #656261 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The offence may be working "statistically" Paul, but that's only from players making plays or hitting shots. Gaze's upgrade on the shuffle seems to be 5 out and throw it around until the shot clock is running out. They score because the players are good enough to make a play or hit a shot. Their structure itself is rubbish

Reply #656292 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

And unless Gaze throws that all out and plays high octane run & gun the Kings still won't make the playoffs.

Reply #656297 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well you can't sayJVG is just sitting on his laurels oblivious to all around him.

He's had a plan, he's listened and now he has executed.

I wonder though if he willtalk the same way about his squad and the league equalisation scheme as he did for United?

Reply #656330 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

At this stage its more important for Sydney, and Kings fans like myself, to have an entertaining product on the floor than it is to make the Playoffs. If they win more than they lose from here and have fun doing it, Ill take it. Winning is great, but entertaining people for their money is just as important in building and maintaining a fanbase.

Reply #656333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is the Jamal Crawford of the NBL. Has one good game in every 7 and everyone thinks he is awesome.

Reply #656339 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

ANT MAN

Reply #656340 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The funny thing is, the offence is the least of the worries, generally it's working except for the absence of offensive rebounding. Will it improve enough now to make up for the lack of D?

While its the least of the worries, it's starting to show signs of being compromised. Quite evident that on-the-fly tactic isn't Gaze's strength.

Duke Fan noticed his heavy reliance on 5 out trying to stretch defenses, teams have started to catch on to his offensive tendencies. Relying on 5 out/4 out-1 in a lot is also contributing to their OR problems.

Don't know how he's going to utilise Randle and Tyler, but Randle gives him a strong option to exploit what teams have started to give them, i.e. the midrange 2. If he doesn't run more PnR with Randle and having Ellis, Tyler, Humphries in his lineup, then I don't think he's suited to coaching.

Reply #656358 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Quite evident that on-the-fly tactic isn't Gaze's strength.

lol... the understatement of the century!

Two big points still remain in that will they step things up defensively? More help for Kevin in the backcourt will be great when he returns, and Tyler looks the goods in the middle, but when the opposition players get past our guards to begin with, it's still going to make it tough for him... Can't just rely on a big body in the middle now... The other is the coaching deficiency... If more losses rack up, what will happen?

Also agree that while the playoffs should be the goal, it's important in this market to have an entertaining product on the court just as much as winning games... Fans won't keep turning up in the numbers that we need them to if the team keeps losing, and especially in the ways that we have been, but also 'Rome coming on board will amp up the excitement and give the fans a flashy focus point, which they've been craving...

Reply #656520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lisch coming back will mitigate the backcourt defensive issues. I'd expect him to be more effective at both ends without the added burden of constant decision-making. Worked in Illawarra and Perth and I think he'll enjoy the setup with Randle, who while ball-dominant is a better passer and decision-maker than sometimes given credit for. Obviously they are also banking on Tyler anchoring that second-level with his rim-protection so any blow-bys hopefully aren't the issue they have been so far.

Reply #656522 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

The thing is, and it might be an unpopular opinion, but they were getting past Kev before the injury, so I'm not sure that him coming back will be the lock defensively that everyone just assumes... Whether he wasn't 100% after the surgery, or was again the added pressure of running the show, or not, he wasn't at MVP level... So overall, everyone needs to lift their game...

Reply #656525 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"If he doesn't run more PnR with Randle and having Ellis, Tyler, Humphries in his lineup, then I don't think he's suited to coaching."

Expecting Gaze to adjust his strategy for Randle? I think we can all agree that Steve Blake was a total bust last year, but it took about 3-4 games before Blake came off a single screen with the ball in his hands.

Reply #656528 | Report this post

Matt Logue from NewsCorp reporting that Randle is on $400k, making him the second highest earner behind Bryce Cotton on $600k. Though obviously not an entire season. Dolla Dolla bill ya'all.

Reply #656549 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good to see a MVP return to the league, but sucks for Adelaide.

Was it just the sausage roll that stopped him returning to Adelaide? Or was it money?

I'm not a huge fan of Joey, but he did a great job with Randle. Can Dewey do the same?
ROFL

Reply #656550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow $600k. Cotton had great timing with that GF performance!

Reply #656553 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"Does anyone know what happened in Turkey to result in Randle becoming available? I haven't been following him over there."

Something to do with an upset woman and a flying tray of Turkish Delight I hear!

Reply #656603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That got me thinking - will Mrs. Randle be at the Arena next Sat. night?

Reply #656604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754