Freethrows
Years ago

Are Cairns better off without Carrera?

Surprisingly, the Taipans are 3 and 2 with Carrera out of the line up, and 1 and 3 with him in the side. Fearne made an interesting comment after last night's game, saying that he was pleased with the way that the team stuck to their team principles, sharing the ball around, with a good spread of scorers.

He also said that hasn't been happening over recent games, with one person taking control of the offence and looking to score. I don't know if he was referring specifically to Carrera, or to the team's play in general. The question is, are Cairns a better team without their star attraction? (Shades of Adelaide without Randle, perhaps?)

Topic #42153 | Report this topic

Freethrows  
Years ago

* NB I was counting last night's game as "without Carrera".

Reply #656563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so. He can create his own shot and they will need that in harder games than Melbourne

Reply #656567 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I was wondering the same thing. Cairns seem to win games when the scoring is spread around as widely as possible. Having Carrera in the mix seems to throw the veterans out of sync which means that while Carrera gets up for 17-20, it's on the back of some pretty low %s, which then means that players like Loughton and Weigh aren't good enough looks and don't get a solid 8-10 pts a night.

I suspect that this was the same problem Fearney was grappling with when Torrey Craig was up here, and I'm not sure how Carrera would respond to playing off the bench like Torrey did.

Reply #656569 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Short term maybe, long term no. Carrera has been pretty low efficiency on offense from what I've seen of him so far, but he's been playing in spurts and hasn't had a chance to fully gel either. I think he could be one of the top imports on both ends if he can keep his cool and stay healthy.

Reply #656572 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Once he gets it together on the Offensive end he will be one of the best 2-way players in the league. Such a High Motor great work rate. Taipans will be way better with him than without him Long Term.

Reply #656584 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

It helps when they make their outside shots too though... I don't have any numbers at hand, but they're obviously going to struggle when Gliddon shoots 1/30...

Great effort all round last night, and a very nice stat line from McCarron...

Reply #656586 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

MnM is a beast really good fantasy pickup actually

Reply #656610 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Not a big enough sample size.

Reply #656628 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I love Carrera's game apart from he has no self discipline/self preservation.

The first time I saw him play at the fishtank, I was like he's great to watch but....he's gonna hurt himself!!

Reply #656636 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

He goes hard but his discipline aint crash hot.
A level head and he'd be a gun.

Reply #656862 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

A level head and he'd be in the NBA...

Reply #656863 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think that Jawai will make more of a difference to this side than Carrera as other than against Perth they haven't played well enough with him in the side and how can you not feel more confident with the beast in the middle.

I look forward to being wrong about Carrera though but I do enjoy McCarron's play in his absence.

Reply #656904 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

He is a hot head isn't he?
He will help more than hurt. Cairns biggest problem is Gliddon. For minutes played he is the most invisible player going around. It is not as though he can't shoot it is just that he won't, and he is so selective he takes himself out of the game. McCarron is much more useful to Cairns.

Reply #656946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754