Anonymous
Years ago

Who would you keep from the Sixers roster?

Ignoring contracts - assuming everyone on their roster is out of contract at the end of the season, who would you keep & who would you show the door?

Topic #42171 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

The only player definitively under contract next season is Adam Doyle anyway.

Free agents:

Shorter
Moore
Childress

Johnson
Drmic
Teys

Sobey - Option? (signed 2 yrs in 2017)
Hodgson - Option? (signed 2 yrs in 2017)
Creek - Option? (signed 3 yrs in 2016)
Deng - Option? (signed 3 yrs in 2016)

Doyle - 2 years left

Reply #656885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong Zodiac.

Sobey was a 2 year deal (no options) they can however reach a mutual agreement
Creek's contract is up at seasons end.
Hodgson has one more year, no options
Johnson is up at seasons end
Imports are always free agents as they rarely sign multiple years
Drmics contract is up
Dent contract is up

Doyle, unsure, but hopefully a team option.

Reply #656886 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hence the question marks on the options as the Sixers usually don't mention options. Of course they can mutually terminate goes without saying.

By the way Creek's contract isn't up at seasons end.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/31825-creek-signs-extension-adelaide

Deng's contract isn't up either.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/tall-smart-and-athletic-majok-deng-officially-joins-adelaide-36ers-alongside-fellow-tyro-anthony-drmic/news-story/55c8e2294b8f34cdddbccd3f72259934

And like I said Doyle's under contract for another two years.

https://www.facebook.com/Adelaide36ers/photos/a.137851388569.111207.108987183569/10155431059413570/?type=3

Reply #656888 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

No one has addressed the actual question. "Ignoring contracts" takes this out of contractual reality.

I'd keep Drmic, Deng, Creek, Moore, Sobey, DJ.

No has mentioned coaching or management staff either?

Could they recruit some 88 Supercats as upgrades though?

Reply #656901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem maybe not who we want but who is willing to stay if they keep Joey for another 3 years.
Getting Clarke would be a good start then build around him with a strong Boone type centre then DJ might be worth keeping if he and Sobey wanted to stay.

Reply #656906 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

I'd probably wait and see how this year pans out and then make some decisions.

Reply #656908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone bar Joey and Tees.

Reply #656911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys Fkn auto correct.

Reply #656912 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Do trades happen in the NBL?

Reply #656913 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably all of them. I think it's a good roster and they just need to pick their go-to guy. Sobey and Hodgson have been under their best, but you’d want to keep them.

They were looking good besides that fourth quarter.

Reply #656920 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

36ers issue is defense and rebounding.

they have given up 3 of the top 4 biggest leads this season. They can't get stops and they give the opposition too many second chance points.

Childress looks past it.

Hodgson isnt ready yet to be a starting centre. Hasn't got enough mongrel about him either. Would be great coming off the bench.

I like the Aussie core.

I think Drmic should be starting. He can be a killer shooter and can play off the ball which works well with Shorter. Sobey is well out of sorts atm, he needs the ball in his hands to get rhythm and. You see it at the games.

Id let Childress go and find an centre import that can protect the rim and fix that interior D and help with rebounds.

Reply #656922 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Its frustrating because I feel the 36ers should be up there with the best teams in the comp.

Reply #656923 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

This team with Randle (or even Dillard) instead of Shorter with DJ starting at C instead of Hodgson would be doing a lot better.

I think as it stands the very least they need to do is shake up the starting 5.

PG: Sobey
SG: Moore
SF: Creek
PF: Childress
C: Johnson

As for who to get rid of;
Deng
Teys
Hodgson
Doyle
Shorter

Johnson only gets kept because centers are hard to come by and he is versatile enough to also play PF.

Reply #656937 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

I like Shorter. He's solid on D and is not a ball hog. His shooting though is a problem.

Reply #656939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would play DJ exclusively as a 5. The game is changing whereby 4s are agile & athletic. At the 5 his shooting is a bonus. At the 4 he's just slow.

That means Hodgeson is a backup, if anything.

Creek & Drmic I'd keep. 16/17 Sobey I'd keep, 17/18 Sobey I'd get rid of. Depends if he wants to accept he's not good enough to be the man all the time. Moore I'm ok with off the bench. I think the rest I'd probably show the door.

Reply #656983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much positive as Shorter brings, he actually holds the ball too long if you watch closely. Not a hog, but the movement stagnates.

Reply #657067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last off-season, most players were contracted and movement was minimal. This coming off-season, I think loads of players are coming off contract and I can see it being a bloodbath. I'd be really careful about dumping any half-decent local players. You'd move Hodgson to the bench rather than drop him. Same with Sobey.

This team was in touch in NZ and had leads twice over Melbourne before losing. They're not bottom of the ladder and calling for desperate action.

I liked the look of Moore. Try him starting. And perhaps Childress and DJ instead of DJ and Hodgson? Still have loads of impact off the bench with Sobey, Drmic, etc.

Reply #657131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell

Reply #657163 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Actually Isaac I think our 4-5 season record is inflated a bit by all of our wins being against Cairns and lowly Sydney.

We're 0-3 against Melbourne who have only been average so far and two of those were floggings and then just got humiliated by an average Hawks team on our own court. We're 1-3 at home this season and we've still got 7 games to go against the standard bearers NZ & Perth.

Reply #657176 | Report this post

I think Shorter is solid, I'd keep him. He's been good this season but had a pretty average game the other night. He copped a flogging from Joey in the third quarter and i think rather than help it might have actually hindered his game in the last. Looked like he was forcing it a bit when he didn't need to. Trying to make something happen when all Joey was asking for was effort plays.

Childress in the last few games has been a few unlucky rim outs from getting the score sheet ticking over. He's got to the rack a number of times but just had them bounce out. I'm fairly confident that they'll start falling and he'll be a good impact player off the bench. He adds the x-factor of experience too which is invaluable in a young team.

I think you could probably let Teys go. He's run out of room on the team. He's not on the court for enough time to be the lock-down defender so he's just floating.

Reply #657251 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Get rid of

Joey Wright.

Reply #657256 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:45 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754