LC
Years ago

Townsville Suns & Hobart Devils resurrected

he Townsville Suns and the Hobart Devils have been resurrected, with the former NBL team names set to return as foundation clubs of Champions League Basketball's CLB3X3 Australian Elite league.

Townsville Suns and Hobart Devils set to make their return

Topic #42180 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF?

These are NBL teams. What happens if these cities get a team once again their historic names will be blocked. Plus won't NBA say trademark infringement re: Suns name again?

Reply #657085 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I recall someone (DJ Rod, maybe?) saying that the trademark infringement issue was invented out of thin air as an excuse to rebrand.

Reply #657096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting. Why did they want to rebrand though?

Reply #657099 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Wonder why they didnt go with Crocs as the name? Do the NBL own the rights to that name and didnt allow it? And if so, do they not own the Devils name too? Would this have implications on a Tassie team joining the NBL as Devils would have been a top choice for a name (nostalgic reasons)

Reply #657106 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All comes down to who owns the names...

Reply #657121 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Barrier Reef Basketball Pty Ltd still owns the Crocs name and brand.

and yeah the whole Phoenix Suns thing was made up - the Suns name was limited for marketing.

Reply #657128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ Rod what I don't understand is why did they want to rebrand away from the Suns? What were the reasons behind it? Thanks.

Reply #657174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just marketing? Seems odd.

Reply #657175 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I believe the future opportunities for marketing and branding came up as very poor in the research that they had undertaken, including the logo, name and colours.

The NBL was planning to rebrand into the Summer season and relaunch the league so they took that opportunity to rebrand as well.

There were some traditionalists that didnt like the change but i dont think anyone can complain with the Crocs brand, logo, colours in a marketing sense.

I'm not a huge fan of the Suns name being used again by this 3on3 thing, but anyway - GO TOWNSVILLE!

Reply #657191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the insight.

Reply #657195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the real reason behind the change was they were worried Cairns was going to take the Crocs name when they came in and wanted to jump in first.

Reply #657229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong use Supercats in SEABL.
Gold Coast use Rollers in QBL.
Nobody seems to care about that.
I don't think it’s a problem.
Plus these names haven’t been used by clubs for 20 years.
The Gold Coast Suns don’t get hindered by the Suns trademark issue.
I’d think they’d have got away around it

Reply #657330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats SEABL are a continuation of the NBL Supercats, so not the same thing as some random 3x3 comp taking the name.

Reply #657340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you trademark a celestial body?

Reply #657353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Townsville.

Reply #657354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754