Dome Rat
Years ago

What's with Randle's playing history ?

Why doesn't Jerome Randle stick with clubs?

He is clearly very talented and was so in college but didn't get drafted despite being PAC 10 POY.

Various summer league trials without success

He signed in China and didn't play a game. Signs a massive deal in Turkey but leaves after 5 games. Wins a title in Lithuania but they don't retain him.

Some people say that the 36ers didn't even try to retain him despite his huge popularity and success in the league.

There seems to be something in this. Successful players seem to stick around yet he hasn't. He hasn't stuck in Europe where he could play as a local with his Ukraine , cough cough , citizenship. Seems a bit weird to me.

Topic #42183 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

NBA - To Small

Certain leagues in EU doesn't suit as to small and needs the offence to completely run through him.

The above is before we even get to the off-court issues

Reply #657166 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Does seem suspicious.

Reply #657167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are off-court issues.

A few on here have written about him not getting along well with players and coaches at the Sixers.

Reply #657171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness, the Sixers coach is a dickhead.

Reply #657172 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I remember saying when we first signed Randle I was concerned by his inability to stick with a team for more than one season, constantly bouncing around in Europe mainly Turkey.

Funnily enough his 1.5 seasons with the 36ers is the longest stint he's ever had with a team in his career.

Reply #657180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about the culture etc in Turkey, so cant comment too much. But if you're going to dissect his offcourt issues in Adelaide, then you equally have to look at coach.

Reply #657187 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Can someone elaborate on his off-court issues in Adelaide? Are we talking the Twitter stuff or is there more?

Reply #657197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remmeber a few comments on here about it? But the search function on this site isn't that great.

Reply #657198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everyone is a fan of wearing tomato sauce

Reply #657218 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

There were a couple of off court instances when he was still with the team but most of them were towards the tail end of his tenure.

1) Calling out the Illawarra Hawks as a dirty team, saying he disliked the players.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-sixers-mvp-jerome-randle-has-branded-illawarra-a-dirty-team/news-story/5c685dca7a7a9d860517087c67588b69

Unfortunately our captain Mitch Creek made things worse by re-iterating those sentiments as the face of the club.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/captain-creek-jumps-into-dirty-debate-agreeing-with-mvp-teammate-jerome-randle/news-story/c40510159d3cdccf4a3f982d51b77b26

I personally think this lit a fire under the Hawks who already did not need more motivation for the SF. I don't attribute the series loss to this one issue but it didn't help.

2) Then there was platter-gate, where Mrs Randle famously threw a plate of food over fans followed up by threats.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4491159/its-disgusting-plate-of-food-reportedly-thrown-at-hawks-game/

There were several tweets after Randle had left and about the time of the NBL stars vs China games.

Personally I don't put any weight behind those tweets being some sort of shot at Joey Wright.

Reply #657230 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The x-is-dirty thing was nothing. And the food fight was after what was probably a frustrating game. Not ideal, but hardly a dealbreaker under stress. Maybe he has a vocal/involved partner - wouldn't be the first or last time in sport.

For almost every game last season, he was doing just fine with the team and coach.

As for his career, it's never really obvious why players are moved on from Euro gigs. Are they short term contracts, higher expectations, injuries, going unpaid or hating the experience?

Reply #657237 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's not terribly uncommon for imports to hop from club to club - staying in one place for multiple seasons really seems to be the exception rather than the rule from what I've seen checking out player pages on realgm over the years.

Randle is a strong personality which is always going to rub some people the wrong way.

Reply #657239 | Report this post

Zhordan was quite involved as a partner. My seats are near where the Players family used to sit, behind the old bench and she was often vocal and animated, particularly when things weren't going great. It didn't surprise me to hear that some Illawarra fans may have copped it. She was very passionate.

The whole cloud over what happened at the end of last season is a bit of a blight on what was otherwise a hugely successful couple of seasons with Randle. He still stuck around for essentially two seasons which is rare for an Adelaide import in recent memory. We have a recent history of either having duds, or having someone decent we can't or don't hold on to. His candour at wanting to come back and then following it up was true class. It's a shame there's a sour taste with the "he said, she said" of alleged contract negotiations for this season. It's unquestionable he brought fans out in droves, and he essentially built his own brand from the ground up whilst in Adelaide (camps, merch etc) so it's possibly a little bit of a shame for both parties that he couldn't stick around.

Reply #657243 | Report this post

John Fairs  
Years ago

James Maloney is similar in the NRL, has NEVER resigned with the same club but success seems to follow him. Not sure about his personality bar reading the media reports but Sydney Kings had a policy this year of players of the best character only. Will be interesting how he gels with the other players.

Reply #657304 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Best character policy??

The Kings' management and recruitment strategy may yet prove to be the work of a great tactical genius such as we have not seen since ancient times.

Or....

They’ve proven the adage about merriment and breweries, and are now trying to buy their way out of a hole they dug through their own special blend of incompetence.

If it’s the latter, any character test would’ve been abandoned.

Reply #657334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's called little man syndrome

Reply #657368 | Report this post

Rabbit41  
Years ago

"As for his career, it's never really obvious why players are moved on from Euro gigs. Are they short term contracts, higher expectations, injuries, going unpaid or hating the experience?"

----------------------------------------------

That's unpaid thing is an untrue myth. There are strict rules that ban teams if they don't pay players. Partizan just got banned like a week ago, for being late on a player's payments, and they paid it immediately to get unbanned.

It's a game agents play, to gain some kind of leverage. The fact people actually believe European Union law allows professional sports clubs to not pay players (common belief outside Europe) is truly absurd. It's 2017 and we are talking about the European Union.

Reply #657373 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rabbit41 - it happens, Euro leagues under pay often! ask DJ why he left a few years ago..

For the love of god, Joey Wright is not a dickhead. He is a passionate and strong willed coach who has the respect of every player regardless of admonishments.

the team got a long with Randle just fine. He didnt have a job, adelaide didnt have the money he wanted, sydney offered him a job... simple.

Reply #657382 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He didnt have a job, adelaide didnt have the money he wanted, sydney offered him a job... simple.

So you're saying the Sixers enquired about his services before Sydney signed him? I bet that makes Shannon Shorter feel pretty good.

Reply #657393 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they're talking about off-season negotiations when he was asking $600k+ or whatever it was and Adelaide couldn't justify it.

Reply #657395 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not sure that's what they're saying as no mention of his stint in Turkey in there so took it as after the fact.

Reply #657399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, I am dismayed by some on here where what you post is FACT, when in reality it is an uninformed opinion.

Rabbit41 - Do yourself a favour and read this http://goldengate-law.com/pdf/bat/bat_award_0550.pdf

It contains details where Mark Worthington was not paid and he & his management took the club to the FIBA Basketball Arbitral Tribunal (BAT) for non payment and won the case.

Also, if you know them talk to Mark Bradtke & David Barlow about their experiences in Europe regarding not getting paid.

You are also welcome to check out the other FIBA BAT cases?

Maybe this one re David Blatt (Ex Cleveland Cavaliers Head Coach) http://goldengate-law.com/pdf/bat/bat_award_0258.pdf

Myth is it?

Reply #657511 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've heard it from enough Aussie and non-Aussie players re: European $$$ to believe it's true.

Reply #657512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://martens-lawyers.com/en/basketball-arbitral-tribunal-en/

http://goldengate-law.com/en/resources-fiba-bat-fat-arbitral-awards.html

Maybe read these as well 1100 cases in 10 years!

Reply #657514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great links.

Reply #657521 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So we know that he absolutely despises being called Ant Man so will anyone in Adelaide be shouting that out in the stands ?

Reply #657631 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great links

I hereby retract my recent comments about anonymous posters

Reply #657649 | Report this post

Rabbit41  
Years ago

European law, any team not paying players and coaches in full is banned from signing any new players, and if they refuse to pay them, banned from all competitions.

Every season, 2-3 teams get banned immediately, upon the first missed payments to players.

It's a myth that teams can get away with not paying players in Europe. It's simply not true. And it's an obvious game agents play, and pretty much considered a favorite fake talking point of US sports media, because they know people believe it and it is easy click bait.

Fact is, there are laws against not paying players, and they are very heavily enforced.

People act like it is the 1800s or something - this is the European commission laws, which have much, much stricter labor laws than Australia or USA.

Reply #657660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I hereby retract my recent comments about anonymous posters"

Until the next time you get called out? :P

Reply #657671 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Rabbit41, it goes on a fair bit more than you actually realise. You only ever hear about the rare times players/agents go on with it legally on most occasions they just quickly move on to the next gig. Too costly and time consuming to take legal action. It's notorious in South America and smaller Euro leagues.

Despite his history of bouncing around I've got no doubt something similar happened with Randle to only last 5 games in Turkey this time around. Plus the supposed contract mentioned by Olgun (via his agent) of 2 years for almost US $1 million net was too unbelievable for a Div 2 team in Turkey.

Reply #657681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have first hands knowledge of this - A lot of the time the player/coach/manager (plaintiff) agree to terms with the team/club and both parties agree to dissolve the original contract with a stipulated "payout" figure, so the case does not got to the BAT & the club is free to sign new players and compete in their competitions.

Non payment, Overdue payments, slow payment, part payments are part & parcel of a lot of European basketball. Sometimes - players won;t put up with it and come to terms to dissolve the original contract - read as cut your losses.

To quote one of the links above.

"Administrative fees between 1,500 and 7,000 euros (depending on the amount in dispute); the arbitrator and the BAT President are remunerated on the basis of (moderate) hourly rates, thus their fees vary according to the complexity of the case at hand (generally between 4,000 and 12,000 euros, and less than 8,000 euros on average)".

Reply #657747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adding to the above effectively players cut their losses and settle on a lower figure, therefore the club gets a discount on the player contract. They do this time and time again hence the reputation Euroball has.

Reply #657749 | Report this post

Dark Mavis  
Years ago

very very very strongly suggested today that Randle was sacked in Turkey.

Reply #657994 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Jerome-Randle/Summary/4710#International

he didn't perform well in Turkey.

Reply #658779 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754