Grey
Years ago

NBL 2019 Teams

All this talk about expansion clubs is nuts. NBL is trying to grow too quickly. Don't even know if every club is making a profit yet (doubt it).

Should expand to 10 teams in near future with top 4 into finals. Asia too far away to be worthwhile. Not a fan of AFL clubs getting involved.

Here's my list:

Perth Wildcats
Illawarra Hawks
Brisbane Bullets
Cairns Taipans
Canberra Cannons
Hobart Chargers
Northern Crocs (cover N.T. region)
Adelaide 36ers
Sydney Kings
Melbourne United

Topic #42201 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You left out NZ who currently sit on top of the table.

Reply #657654 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All this talk about expansion clubs is nuts.
Proceeds to start talking about expansion clubs.

NBL is trying to grow too quickly.
Should expand to 10 teams in near future with top 4 into finals.
Hmmm.

Reply #657656 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Keep current 8 teams and slowly add the following in no particular order
Wellington
Regional Vic side
Canberra
Hobart

Look at putting a team in the ASEAN league too.

Reply #657684 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd love to see another NZ team if it's viable in Wellington. One issue might be having enough high-quality locals with the Breakers having a core of Tall Blacks, but might be able to lure back Webster and I don't know how realistic Fotu would be as a marquee signing.

Also probably time to re-brand from 'NBL' if it happens and give it a more oceania/asia neutral name rather than 'national' basketball league.

Reply #657685 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

I'd love to see the Breakers be part owned by the Crusaders. Rugby/basketball for the W

Reply #657707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crusaders are in Christchurch, Breakers in Auckland...

Reply #657717 | Report this post

Pezna  
Years ago

nz rough and arrogant screw em!

Reply #657763 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Shouldn't we say Auckland Blues own the Breakers ?

Northern Crocs, I do like the idea but is there the infrastructure there? Do we have any Territorians in the NBL ? I know from Tasmania, the NBL has Knight (c'mon let me include him) Waxy, Bubbles, Gibbo and Mason Bragg and that Wildcat that signed a 2 day contract. Has the Territory got anybody with even DP level talent?

@ OP, I love that you've really tried to focus on including teams in markets that won't take fans away from markets with exisiting teams and I'm applauding you for your effort on that one.

Sorry if I seem disrespectful in my comment, I hope NT gets a team, just don't know how they perform at national level in junior comps

Reply #657920 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Only basketballer I can recall from the NT is Gary Boodnikoff.

Reply #657946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that the Kings had 2 NT guys in the 90's

Reply #657950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with OP that the AFL team idea is cynical. They are footy clubs first and foremost, and if money is ever tight or hard decisions need to be made, the focus will be on protecting and building the AFL team, rather than a basketball team that they don't really care about.

Plus the NBL would have to be very careful about alienating its support base of actual basketball fans (you know, those few people who might actually pay for NBL TV, go to games, buy merchandise and follow the league) if "footy culture" permeates the League. We already have the commentators referring to a jump ball as a "ball up" FFS. There are maybe one or two commentators who are credible - the sooner we replace the "professional broadcaster" with former players who are confident on camera and know the ins and outs of TV broadcast, the better. Just my 2 cents on the AFL expansion idea.

Re other expansion ideas, I don't think Canberra can support a team. Easy to romanticize from other cities but my sense is a team would find it hard to generate a steady supportbase.

NT is a longer term proposition. The Breakers should be fighting tooth and nail to avoid a second NZ team. The Gold Coast based-Chinese side is a terrible idea - I don't understand who would support such a team? A team of CBA free agents based part-time in a market as fickle as the Gold Coast is not a recipe for on court success or ticket sales..

Real question is what's changed - before this season NBL leadership was sensibly urging caution in every expansion discussion and saying the focus on ensuring the profitability of the League and its teams. Why this sudden rush to expand?

Reply #658579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has to look into a second New Zealand team. Basketball's one of the bigger sports there and they're good at it too, ranked 20th internationally. There's enough local talent to go around and a lot of the current breakers bench players should really be starting. With the focus of the league shifting to broaden internationally, I wouldn't be surprised if one day a Christchurch/Canterbury team is considered too.

Newcastle is already dominated by the A-league market, and Gold Coast is where sport goes to die. However, both Hobart and Canberra have the infrastructure and resources to thrive in the NBL and should strongly be considered, especially with the AIS resources for disposal whilst a new arena is built and a general spike in interest for the game in Canberra. The Chargers are on their way to being admitted to the national league and have expressed the desire that they wish to run on a budget of $5 million per season, meaning they would most likely be competitive and stable.

I like the idea of the northern crocs. Townsville couldn't support their own team recently but they have well through history where economic conditions weren't so inconvenient. A small market like Darwin wouldn't be such a bad option, as just like Cairns, Townsville, Illawarra, it is a market with no other summer sporting teams that would have a more intimate role in the smaller community. You cant help but think that Territorians would support this team a great deal. However, issues with corporate backing arise and this doesn't seem like the kind of proposal that would appeal to Kestelman.

I don't believe a Fremantle team should be considered; why disrupt the affluence and success that the Wildcats have now? With a population of over two million that clearly love their basketball, the verdict could go either way. Conversely, Sydney should not be considered for a second team for a while, as in a city of millions the Kings are losing the battle to the A-league clubs. Whilst it could be argued that a rivalry could spark the necessary interest just as the Wanderers did, some on-court success and broader media coverage (of which, at the moment, there is absolutely none of) would be a better solution for the lack of crowds and overall attention.

Melbourne is a clear favourite to attract a second team, the sporting capital and basketball-crazed city of Australia. It has been argued that bringing the Tigers back would increase the profile of the league and invite back estranged supporters of which there are still many. I like the idea of AFL clubs establishing a team, however, it would be unwise to keep the identity of the club so as to isolate supporters of the other nine Victorian clubs and limit the potential of their supporter base. It makes perfect sense to have a team owned by an AFL team with the use of their facilities under the moniker of the Tigers. The alternative is to distribute the licence to one of the NBA players mentioned in the media. While this would be effective in raising the profile and interest of the league, the league has already gained necessary traction and would benefit more from a well-run club with more stable corporate backing. Just as with Sydney, a third Melbourne team should be considered further down the track after more media attention and/or a free to air TV deal, in addition to developping better infrastructure in Geelong for the third team.

Immediate expansion destination (next 3-5 years):
Canberra
Hobart
Melbourne
Wellington

Reply #658780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 teams for Melbourne. Ridiculous.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/larry-kestelman-wants-three-melbourne-nbl-sides-new-club-in-next-two-years-20171119-gzocfg.html

Reply #658870 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754