Isaac
Years ago

Singh's NBL start makes Indian news

BENGALURU/SYDNEY: India centre Amritpal Singh continued his meteoric rise by becoming the first Indian national to be injected into the starting line-up of a National Basketball League (NBL) team.
Playing for the Sydney Kings against Melbourne United, the 26-year-old was on the floor for 14 minutes and was a perfect three-for-three from the field to finish with 7 points. Singh also posted a block and a rebound in the 90-108 loss on November 11.

"I was pleasantly surprised when I found out [that I would be starting]. I have been working hard in training and really gelling with my teammates. I thank Sydney Kings' coaching staff and will keep making the most of the opportunities that come my way," Singh said.
Full story on the Times of India site

Topic #42203 | Report this topic

Curtley  
Years ago

He's the Yuta Tabuse of the NBL, can't play but good for marketing in a country with a massive population.

Reply #657662 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

We wouldn't have thought much of it but I guess it would be a pretty big deal, having the national team captain make strides in his chosen league -- a pretty high-profile league

Reply #657663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His honestly not that terrible, people give him a lot of shit but he plays hard and cleans the glass well.

Reply #657664 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

We wouldn't call it 'meteoric' but he's better than what a lot thought he'd be, myself included. Except for his FT% which is as bad as Boone at 40% & poor laterals defensively, he's more than serviceable in his intended role as 3rd backup C.

Per 40 mins, his scoring & rebounding is more than ok at 18/10. FG at 72%.

Reply #657667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon singh doing well in the nbl to indians is sorta how we look at motum types doing well in the euroleague

India is a good market for the nbl to target as we can afford their best players, which isnt the case with china

Reply #657668 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Like I've said before, if Singh was 20 years old, he'd be a pretty exciting prospect, but at 26 he's a serviceable spot minutes guy and injury insurance. As a rotation guy other teams are going to go right at him, as we've seen - multiple timeouts shown on TV have seen other coaches talk about doing exactly that.

He's definitely been better than I expected though, although my expectations were about as low as they get.

Reply #657670 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

He's been better than I thought

Considering he took up basketball what, 7 years ago? I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that he becomes a legit NBL starter within the next 2 years by the age of 28 ish. We'll see.

Reply #657679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well he is the modern day maharaja

Reply #657680 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think he's improved a lot in his time at Sydney. He deserves his third string center position, and good on him for taking the opportunity with both hands.

Reply #657687 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

He should really try and stay with Sydney (if they want him) so he can learn the ins and outs of playing pro ball.

Bouncing around different leagues is not going to help him at all.

If he didnt give away so many pick and roll lapses against Melbourne, you could say he played well.

He's just to costly to have out there late in a games ATM #poorcoaching.

Reply #657690 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was ok early in the Melbourne game, huge progress in a couple of months. He was just played too long and was found out.

Looking forward to seeing further progress over the rest of the season. Training against Tyler should help too.

Reply #657693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good story all round
Hopefully get a few Indian fans and dollars
He going quite well in a short time
He is a massive man, if keeps improving could be great in a few seasons
He comes across as a good person.

Reply #657694 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Singh had 45 points, 17 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 blocks while shooting 17-23 from the field and 11-14 from the line.....

(In an Indian pro league game that has team lost 133-138....in a 40 minute match too)

http://www.ubaindia.com/schedule/#/match/584633/live-feed

Reply #657696 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

His development has really put Pineau out of the rotation and if Kings play some twin towers this season then they may find other teams out.

Good luck to him, I think he is better than Bo Liu

Reply #657917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:30 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754