Anonymous
Years ago

Time to call Lonzo a bust?

With another inept performance against sixers, at what point is he classified as a bust? His shooting is nearing the biggest joke ever, has one decent game every blue moon and this seems to save him. Russell got the blame for last couple of years, but looking at his numbers at Lakers they gave up on him real quick just to get Ball in. And if their big plan is to lure LeBron there, how does he fit with a non shooting point guard, the ball will be in LeBrons hands most of the time, why would you need lonzo?
Magic must have gone to Jordan's GMs school.

Topic #42208 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same thing happens every year.

A few turn out to be superstars, 5-6 turn out ok, some linger around the league and some become non existent.

Lonzo will end up an ok player, a backup pg.

Reply #657907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm thinking Trump made a deal, let little brother go and in a couple of years Lonzo can join Chinese league and take over from Marbury and maybe naturalise there, he ain't gonna play for U.S.

Reply #657908 | Report this post

Lay it usa.  
Years ago

The guy would never be good enough to play for the USA.

Reply #657909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Trump cares so much about basketball...

Reply #657911 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Something about him really irks me but I certainly won't call him a bust.

He is not an aggressive basketballer yet and seems too chilled on the court, I still think his ceiling is high but he won't reach it until he shows some mongrel and plays with more of a chip on his shoulder.

Isn't it great seeing Lakers struggling a bit?

I don't think he will play for team USA but I think he will make a few all-star games and will have a poor man's John Stockton/Jason Kidd type career.

If anyone is disappointed to have a Stockton/Kidd type that isn't as dynamic as the selfish point guards that are commonplace then I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe if his Dad goes to jail for masquerading as someone important then he can play with that chip...

Reply #657921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youngest NBA player to record a triple double, what a loser

Reply #657922 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

And shooting 30%!!!!!!

Reply #657925 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

It's far too early. Probably a year or two too early. He definitely has things he needs to work on but he also has enough good attributes that he’s worth waiting for, just needs to learn how to play in the league.

Reply #657928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously far too early and I doubt he'd attract half the scrutiny without the family dramas, but I do wonder why he's jacking threes when his shot is that awkward.

Fultz and Okafor have hardly had brilliant moments so far.

Reply #657938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha 12 games in call him a bust.
Didn't he just have a triple double with 3 steals and 4 blocks?
Yeah that’s a bust to me!!!
Lonzo has just turned 20. At 19 got drafted to the biggest franchise in the league, has his own shoe and reality tv show. Remember what you were doing at 19?
He is the most hyped rookie since LeBron and because of his Dad has every camera, analyst and fan watching him plus every player in the league going at him to try make the highlight reels. Remember the Lakers are a very young team full of 20 - 23 year olds that won’t hit their straps for another 2 years.
His shooting % is bad for now but watching his games he shoots open shots and can get to the rack whenever he wants. Don’t forget he shot 41% for 3 and 72% for 2 pointers at UCLA so he knows how to score. Yes College and NBA are way different but give him time to adjust.

Reply #657940 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Jason Kidd is one of the usual player comparisons for Ball, right? In his rookie season, Kidd averaged 27% from three. Ball is at 23% currently.

He'll get there. He looks to be a natural talent with his read of the game.

Reply #657943 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Michael Carter-Williams is looking like a better player comparison for Ball right now, IMO.

Reply #657945 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He's just a rookie. Unfortunately his dad is a grade A douche and has ruined things for him.

Reply #657957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling anyone a bust at this point in their rookie season would be premature. But I think there are a few things working against Lonzo:

1) Rookies typically struggle with the complexities for NBA defence but most rookies have been asked to PLAY defence throughout high school and college. Lonzo has never needed to do anything other than freelance for steals. He is miles behind where he should be defensively.

2) His shooting action makes it impossible for him to shoot the ball moving to his right. That scout - left J, right drive - might be harder for college kids to play to, and fewer of them will have the length and quickness to execute it effectively against a player of Ball's caliber. But there aren't many NBA teams that don't have at least a couple of guys who can cause him all sorts of problems because of it.

3) His passivity dramatically reduces his efficiency because he doesn't get to the FT line. He doesn't put opposing back courts under any real pressure. His passing can put a team defence under pressure, but individually he's not that much of a threat.

His passing vision is ridiculous but I don't think he's going to be a quick fix because there are so many critical areas of the game where he needs to improve. I think offensively, Rubio is a reasonable comparison, but Rubio is an elite defender. I certainly don't think he's showing enough at this point that Lebron would be comfortable going to LA just to play with Lonzo.

Reply #657959 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Whilst it is very early to call him a bust, unfortunately some of the limitations in his game are so ingrained and so significant that I don't see them ever been grown out of.

In short; I think some of the things that he can't do are not because he hasn't learned to do/adjusted to doing them at NBA level yet; but simply because he can't do them and probably won't ever be able to do them (i.e. mid-range pull-ups; contested 3's, shooting off right hand dribble etc.).

I think the shooting issues aside; his defence is also terrible.

He will meet his expectations as a ball-distributor; but with his lack of shooting/scoring and sub-par defence, the question is can you afford having a guy like that on the floor who can ultimately really hurt you in major areas of the game.

Reply #657962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take away the triple double and what do you have. Most have already labelled Fultz a bust but he's been injured. Imo all the hype and that it's the Lakers have saved lonzo, but he's been healthy and his shot is broken, just like everyone knew going into the draft. Fultzs shoulder is messed up and whilst there was rumour of trying a new shooting style, he's still better shooter.
So why has lonzo been able to survive, Walton has come out and said he's starter, but that's more to do with supporting him, and probably not pissing Magic off. Lavar took a major gamble in terms of endorsements and could have cost his son tens of millions. And now with the China robbery and his youngest who's probably the most arrogant and his tweet his high school has gone from first to worst, this saga that is the Ball family may be coming to end.

Reply #658106 | Report this post

JohnJames  
Years ago

no defense? Lonzo is 2nd in mins for the Lakers

Lakers currently stand 20th in Opponent PPG 106.7 (below average)
10th in Opponent TOpg 16.0 (so above average)
10th in Opponent FG% 44.7% ( above average)
16th in Opponent FTA 22.1 (average)
12th in Opponent ORpg 9.7 (average)
1st in opponent 3pt% 31.3% (best)
9th in opponent assits 21.5(above average)
so if he gets 2nd most court time and on the key defensive indicators Opponent scoring, turnovers, rebounds, 3pt %, fg% and FTA they are average or above then... how is he bad?

Reply #658598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11 points, 16 rebounds, 11 assists, 2 blocks vs Nuggets

Reply #658636 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

5/13 shooting, 1/4 3pt shooting. Dude can rebound well for a guard and has good vision, but neither of those is the issue. Smart move by Walton to keep him out there in the blowout and try build up his confidence anyway.

Reply #658642 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

JohnJames your post is everything that's wrong with the NBA. Stats can only tell you so much.

Fact is twice this season already Walton has had to bench him for the entire 4th quarter because he was a liability. Far too often he's been exposed by opposition teams at both ends of the court, played far too passively and his decision-making questionable.

It's far far too early to label him a bust, but it's clear he wasn't deserving of the hype. He's got a lot of ground to make up just to be considered among the top rookies this year. Hell, he might not even be the best rookie on the Lakers team.

Reply #658652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His upside is as a homeless mans Ricky Rubio.

Not exactly sky high.

Reply #658658 | Report this post

JohnJames  
Years ago

snooch, how would you grade good defense without using stats?

if you use the eye test then riddle me this, if you watch a game and a player LOOKS like they are playing GREAT D, but the opposition still score every possession that player is on the court does that mean they are good at D or their team is bad?
What if i then added in that when the player is off the court the opposition score half the time? meaning they play better overall defense...

Reply #658791 | Report this post

Speedy  
Years ago

The man is an absolute bust!! I do not rate LOnzo.

Reply #659518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754