AngusH
Years ago

Brisbane v Perth, Nov 17

Surprised there's no thread for this, although it's been a bit of a snore-fest so maybe everyone is asleep.

Topic #42212 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is beast!

Reply #658005 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Kernich-Drew watching Steindl shoot his role away

Reply #658006 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Bang bang 3 pointers

Reply #658007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't give steindl an inch! Cooke playing better tonight and getting in better positions

Reply #658008 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Cooke playing well. Cotton is going ok, just ok for his standards. Tokoto in foul trouble. Have to improve if the Wildcats want to beat the best teams.

Reply #658010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KDK had chances and couldnt deliver. Careers are built on performing when needed. So limited sympathy for DKD

Reply #658011 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Steindl is just showing why its madness that he couldn't get an NBL gig when the Crocs folded. I guess he was stuck in that mid-tier of players and couldn't get the type of money he probably thought was fair, but I'd have been happy to see him in Sydney the last couple of seaons.

Reply #658013 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Tokoto charge was absolute rubbish. Shows complete lack of judgement. That was a hold for sure. Tokoto held a straight line.
Brisbane's Holt and Kickert need to get involved. They struggle to score in these close ones and everyone needs to pick up the load.
Perth playing poorly but still in front. Bryce Cotton will get going for sure. So pressure is on Brisbane to keep some scoreboard pressure on Perth.

Reply #658014 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

A mate had a pretty decent description of the first 20mins.

Imagine 2 blokes without arms trying to pick up a rock. Now imagine you paid $100 to bring your family to watch them do it, spending 2 hours in traffic to do so. Now, punch yourself in the head. Right? That was what the first half was like.

Reply #658017 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Feels like a preseason game. Not feeling any intensity in this.

Cooke was playing well then was benched for a quarter

Reply #658018 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yeah cooke was having one of his better games and providing some rim protection. Gleeson then sits him on the pine for the second quarter

Reply #658019 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Tokoto hang time is better than Jordan.

Reply #658022 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

The Brisbane floodgates opening

Reply #658023 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Cooke with tha flush! Gleeson was obviously saving his best man for the second half :p

Reply #658024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets will be folded by the end of next season.

They add nothing to the league.

The only thing they are doing is draining a hole in there owners pocket.

Reply #658027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that could have made this game better was Cooke going coast to coast and dunking on that grub Petrie

Reply #658028 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Geez do they even fill 20% of that arena

Reply #658029 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Bairstow thing really hamstrung the Bullets IMO. Needed to come out of the gates strong season 1, but losing Bairstow threw their roster out last year, and I don't think Holt-Trice was the right combo at import... Should've grabbed a big over Holt IMO.

Reply #658030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the NBL realise that calling everything and anything a foul is a major reason why TV ratings are horrid?

Do they have there head in the sand that much?

Reply #658031 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

International Rules NBL is using.

Reply #658032 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Apparently it's "international rules", but I see a lot more physicality when I watch European basketball...

Reply #658033 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Always handy when Damo can score a few points. Cooke playing his best game so far

Reply #658034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL are killing there own product and they dont even realise.

Everything and anything is a foul

That is why people switch off

Reply #658035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a league where everyone smashes each other without consequence and no one can score will really rake in the viewers

Reply #658036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee they call some terrible fouls. Cooke straight up and down and then martin initiated contact on te rangi

Reply #658037 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That injury on Buford did not look good, couldn't put weight on the leg... massive blow for Brisbane if he's out for extended time. Hell, massive blow for them if he misses a single game.

Reply #658038 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Te Rangi is awful.

Reply #658039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the Mitch Young of the 2nd half

Reply #658040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buford / Booford back on court is good to see

Reply #658041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foul Foul Foul

And u all wonder why ratings are a joke

The answer is in front of you

Reply #658042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #658043 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I wonder what Buford did to not be able to put any weight on his leg, then be back on the court in 2 mins? Dislocation?

Reply #658044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te rangi surely has a negative IQ

Reply #658045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cramp maybe?

Reply #658046 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damo what a legend

Reply #658047 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Trice should've taken that one.

Reply #658049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twice Bryce slipped on that same spot, something surely up there?

Reply #658050 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lucky Cotton's got strong ankles... if I'd landed like that in those low cut sneakers my ankle would've broke in half.

Reply #658051 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Geez slipped like a meter on one foot. Lucky to not be injured.

Reply #658052 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Damo fouled Trice on that 100%. All over his arms. I love Damo but his reputation has allowed him to get away with a lot over the years.

Reply #658053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think there has been enough fouls tonight

I think there needs to be a few more.

It is going to be so funny when LK pulls the pin in a year or 2.

There is no way he will keep on forking out money.

His MAIN goal is for a big TV rights deal.

Wont happen, the TV ratings are a joke...no network will pay good money for it.

He will then pull the pin

Mark my words

The product just does not rate on TV and combine that with crowds like tonight and he will pull the pin

Reply #658054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you send the wrong shooter to the line in a professional game

I don't think I've ever played in a game where that's happened

Unbelievable

Reply #658055 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Trice was nowhere even near that foul. Way to try and cheat fella

Reply #658056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There has been 40 FT attempts and counting in a 40 minute game LOLOL

It all starts with the referees who are not at a professional level

Reply #658057 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think I've ever seen that before in a pro game re: the FT stunt... weird.

Reply #658058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fouls that are called though are a joke. Consistency is key

Reply #658059 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I hate that stupid possession arrow rule

Reply #658060 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Should of been a tech.

Reply #658061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. How did Trice think that was going to work?

Reply #658062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'I hate that stupid possession arrow rule'

And bring back jump balls?

Pfft, they were so boring and required no skill whatsoever to win

Reply #658063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez slipped like a meter on one foot. Lucky to not be injured.

Refs missed the obvious travel. Perth getting takeaway home cooking. So rigged. Wish Brisbane could afford to buy some refs.

Reply #658064 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Cotton is all class! It would have been nice to see him dunk it finally if it wasn't for the slippery key way

Reply #658065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't reckon he can dunk :P

Reply #658066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has already had a couple of dunks.

Reply #658067 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jump balls introduce a bit of a chaos to the game... No matter who wins the tip, always a chance of either team coming up with the ball. Few things more deflating than late in a close game where one team fights to tie up a rebound/tipped ball with an opponent only to have it given back to the other team on possession arrow...

Reply #658068 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good call, MACDUB. Martin gets away with blue murder.

Good on Perth for the win, but there is surely something about the travel, as I pondered earlier in the season, where it knocks them about and they don't go as hard on the road.

Reply #658069 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I don't think I've ever seen that before in a pro game re: the FT stunt... weird."

The Boomers tried it at the London Olympics out of a time-out with Patty Mills stepping in for Matt Nielsen (from memory) and got pinged with a T I think.

Reply #658071 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, they got the same penalty Brisbane did: free-throws were cancelled and their opponent got the ball.

Reply #658073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Jump balls introduce a bit of a chaos to the game... No matter who wins the tip, always a chance of either team coming up with the ball. Few things more deflating than late in a close game where one team fights to tie up a rebound/tipped ball with an opponent only to have it given back to the other team on possession arrow...'

Surely the NBL should be (re)introducing things to make the game more exciting to entice crowds, not less

Reply #658074 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Are leagues compelled to adopt FIBA rules? And if there are liberties allowed, how many/how much?

Like there are fundamental rules, then there are little things like the goaltend rule, jump ball rule, no timeouts on the floor rule etc.

Reply #658077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowds are improving, without the jump ball.

Reply #658080 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

The NBA make their own rules and don't give a f##$ about FIBA. Don't know if the NBL or BA would suffer if it went that way.

Reply #658081 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"No, they got the same penalty Brisbane did: free-throws were cancelled and their opponent got the ball."

Yeah that sounds more like it. Interesting to hear in the press conference tonight Buford say the ref indicated for Trice to take the shots.

Reply #658082 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Brisbane crowds are woeful, but the league is doing the team no favours scheduling home tip off times on weeknights at 630pm. Brisbane traffic to get to either venue is utter bedlam and many aren't bothering with the effort of leaving two hours early to get to a game they could easily watch in tv.

If they want to see more bums on seats, pushing start times out to 730pm local would go a long way. Simple common sense.

Reply #658083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus no jump balls. That'll bring the crowds in.

Reply #658084 | Report this post

Chip  
Years ago

its 8:40 in Perth and this is not available on NBL TV - why am I paying for this shit.

If I wait a few hours its on ABC.

Every away game this season - just not good enough.

Reply #658085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys talking about crowds dont get it.

The goal is NOT crowds at games. It is about TV. This is the REAL return on investment that LK is seeking.

That is his MAIN goal, get a big TV deal. This is his primary goal.

Problem is, the sport is NOT rating well on TV, if it is not rating well, then there is no demand from TV networks and hence no TV rights deal.

If this does not change, then he will flee.

Reply #658086 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I have had problems with nbl tv even a few hour after the game

Reply #658089 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

If the crowd attendances are low the game lacks atmosphere which negatively impacts the overall product on tv

Reply #658092 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That was actually Te Rangi's best game of the year.
Kickert played tentatively, therefore ineffective. He got caught twice picking up the ball before he had decided what shot he was going to take on back downs. Thats inexcusable for a player of his class.
Holt tried too hard.not decisive enough when Martin stole the ball. He only had one option when he got that ball and that was to let it fly. He dithered and Martin pounced.
Lemanis clearly on edge when he ducked off from pregame interview.,
Wagstaff held Brisbane off until Cotton took over.
Perth played poorly really and were there for the taking.
Brisbane not good enough, always in catchup mode.Even when they tied it up always had the feeling Perth would edge away.

Reply #658102 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Something not right about Brisbane Bullets, I thought preseason that Buford would be the problem and he is... he's the only one consistently showing his worth.

The team should be way better than what they are and if they aren't getting the results then they should be blooding some of those talented juniors they have on the bench... nothing positive is coming from them and I need them to do well so they can knock off the teams I hate later in the season.... but seriously when was the last time an Andrej Lemanis coached side looked like the underdogs each time they stepped on the court, they are talented but Kickert is proving a liability and Peach replacing him isn't helping them.

Reply #658103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bol

NRL crowds are pretty ordinary but TV ratings are through the roof

Reply #658107 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

For what it's worth.

I think TV ratings, crowd and media are inter-connected in a nexus we could call a sports entertainment milieu.

Addressing just one area won’t immediately or necessarily improve the whole.

Small steps across all areas will result in incremental improvements.

Things are definitely heading in the right direction, but there is no magic solution. As each aspect becomes more professional and appealing to a greater audience, the areas still needing improvement (or weaknesses) become more obvious (eg umpiring, coaches, certain teams and managers of teams). I happen to think that the overall standard of play has improved, which has just acted as a contrast to other aspects.

In my opinion the NBL community needs to be competitive both on and off the field, but everyone involved needs to realise that they’ ultimately need each other. This might ultimately mean a more dominant team needs to sacrifice a bit to help their competition become stronger as it will make their own product (game and associated experiences) stronger too. This was probably the intent of the "soft cap" and taxing the big-spending teams. I think the best example of this is the AFL and their equalisation strategies. Some AFL teams are still being “propped up” by the stronger clubs, but how much more lucrative is the whole AFL now than in its early AFL era or the VFL era. The NBL is a much tougher case, because the resources are much thinner on the ground.

Can individuals sacrifice a bit in the short term for better career prospects for all?

Time will tell.

Reply #658114 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Crowd was 4600 according to the NBL boxscore. That surprised me. Looked like no more than 3000 were at the game so the crowd must have been spread out. A pretty good attendance given the Bullets have a low support base and the early 6.30 tip off time.

Bullets are a work in progress, and a lot of work is needed to get them up to the level they need to be to be successful.

Reply #658115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754