Anonymous
Years ago

My gripe with the NBA

1. No defense gets played. Last season, not 1 team had a defensive efficiency rating of under 1.00. This is i believe the first time in NBA history has this happened.
Last season the BEST defensive team, the Warriors, had a defensive efficiency rating of 1.009.
This would have ranked 15th in the 03/04 season.

2. Teams do not think anymore. There was a time when the quarter was running down, if a team got the ball with aaround 45-50 seconds left, they would let off a shot with 30 secs left giving them a 2 for 1. In todays NBA, how many times have i seen a shot go off with around 40 seconds left, even if it is a bad shot, giving the other team with a 2 for 1.
I have also seen teams get the ball with 24 secs left and shot it with 10 secs left and the opposition gets a shot off with plenty of time.
Modern NBA players are not as bright.

3. Shooting early in the clock even if it is a bad shot. What happened to the days where you used the clock, passed the ball around to get the BEST possible shot?
I watched the Pelicans v Nuggs the other day and even after the Nuggs made a shot, the Pelicans ran down the court and Cousins shot a 3, with a hand in his face 8-9 seconds into the clock.....and missed.

4. Every single team is playing the EXACT same way. There was a time when there was great diversity in the league. Each team played there own style. You had the fast run and gun teams like the Mavs, Warriors, Kings and Suns. On the other end, you had slow, grind out teams like the Pistons, Spurs, Pacers then you had alot of teams somewhere in middle. Now every team is running and forcing early shots in the clock. Why? Int he 03-4 season, the Mavs had averaged 96.7 possesions per game and that was 1st. Today, that will rank LAST.
Why is every team running and gunning?
You trying to suggest that every team has the skillset to run and gun?

What we are seeing in the modern is all because of the Warriors. Yes, D Antoni's Suns in the mid 2000s was playing very fast and shooting lots of 3s....but it NEVE R caught on....WHY? Simple, they never won anything. Teams were skeptical.
The Warriors have become dominant playing this brand and all of a sudden teams think they to can win like the Warriors by copying them.

Bottom line is, NBA coaches are like sheep, dont think for themselves, they look at the latest fashions, see what teams are doing well and copy them.
There is no diversity in the NBA anymore, everyone is playing the same way, teams dont use the clock to get the best shot, they all want to shoot a 3 early in the clock, even if there is a hand in there face..why? Because Curry does it so they also want to do it.
Gone are the days of posting up, mid range game, using the clock, passing to get the BEST high percentage clock.

Topic #42228 | Report this topic

Lawsy  
Years ago

I agree... for me, the glory era of the NBA was 90s / early 2000s. These days, I struggle to watch a whole live NBA game, I find it boring if I'm honest. I prefer watching a good nbl game.

The game is so ISO driven - and I actually hate watching GSW play. Give me a 2000s LAL vs Sac Kings game or a 90s bulls v knicks any day over the shit that's on display today

Reply #658562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a very long season, so they don't play at full throttle.
4 games a week sometimes...

Reply #658563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree Lawsy....i honestly do prefer watching the NBL these days. There is pride on the defensive end, teams play to there strengths. There is diversity in styles.

In the NBA every team is playing the same way...fast and shooting 3s early in the clock even if a hand is in there face.

Reply #658564 | Report this post

JohnJames  
Years ago

what if, todays game the offenses are soooo much better that it would be impossible for teams to have a defensive rating below 1?

2 for 1s have actually been found to be hugely ineffective the average points gain on a team who has a 2 for 1 is only +.74 points which means if you had the 2 for 1 every Q you only gain 3 points
2 for 1s also dont factor in heightened pressure that the defense knows a shot is going to be taken early, predictability comes into place lowering Points Per Possession rating

and your quick shot clock/ running and gunning points are simple. if you are a team trying to slow the ball down, you will lose simple equation for the NBA, More shots = More points, teams run and gun cause it is harder to defend and produces more points thats why there is a huge increase

Reply #658568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So jacking up a shot quickly even though there is a hand in your face is good?

Reply #658569 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

NBA is kind of like the AFL for me. Love watching two great teams go at it, but 7 games out of 10 aren't worth taking 2 hours of my day. The sheer number of games compounds the issue as it's just an "oh well, on to the next one..." feel after a loss, at least until the last month of the season.

Not every NBL game is amazing, but I'll watch Cairns-Hawks over, say, Atlanta-Phoenix in a heartbeat.

Reply #658571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol @ Lawsy saying the game is too ISO driven then saying he prefers to the late 90s early 2000s era. Rose coloured glasses.

Reply #658576 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NBA regular season games can lack intensity

Playoffs are awesome, but they often don't bring 100% effort during the long regular season.

Was watching a Clippers game the other day, couldn't believe how lazy Griffin was being on D.

Reply #658581 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The demise of the Centre as an offensive post post player is also sad.

Reply #658585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guarantee you Michael Jordan would average very close to 50 in the league today.

GUARANTEED

Reply #658587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THis is the culture of the NBA...

Scorers are put up on a pedestal, they get the big dollars. Therefore players save there energy for one side of the court.

There is an attitude that they will just get the points back on the other end just as easy.

If they lose, there is always tomorrow. If they keep on losing, then the coach will get sacked.

This is the problem

Reply #658592 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

.... is the 427 blatant travels in a game that just seem to get "missed". Then they ping one on a pivoting post up player who slides his foot 1mm. Absurd.

Oh and the CONSTANT bitching at refs after EVERY single bloody whistle. Not a unique thing to the NBA though, it's every sport now. Just shut up and get on with it.

Reply #658593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Suns shot 67% in the first qtr and are down by 7?

Again, just shows you the sorry state of the league.

Reply #658594 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with Snooch, its cyclical and will change over time. Like any era, some teams are trash, but there are plenty that are good to watch. Try watching the Celtics, Spurs or even 76ers some time. The Warriors sometimes coast, but they are brilliant to watch on both ends when they are dialled in. They move the ball, play defence and play the clock.

There's starting to be some more post play as well now with the return of outstanding centres like Embiid and Towns and there'll be more of that with several quality big men in next years draft.

I actually don't like too much post play though. I'd rather see more dynamic offences with lots of cuts and ball movement and quick post ups when the opportunity presents.

Personally I hated the walk it up style many teams had in the late 90s and early 2000s. It gets really tedious watching Alonzo Mourning or an ancient Ewing pounding the ball 30 times while they bump into each other and then throw up a brick!

My gripes would probably be:
1) that ball-handlers are allowed to carry the ball a little too much at the moment, making it almost impossible to defend guys like Curry, Irving, Lillard, Harden, etc.
2) the determination to protect players from concussion, etc has led to a situation where big men aren't able to use their size and strength around the basket anymore, because they will invariably get called for a charge or swinging their arms too close to some guards nose. Not sure what you do about it, because protecting the health of players is important, but I just get tired of little guys getting right up under a big man then drawing a foul when the big man even dares to pivot!

So yeah, I get that some teams are not playing to their strengths by copying the Warriors and it would be good to have some more diversity of styles, but I still think there is lots of good basketball being played at the moment.

Reply #658607 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

A lot of these gripes kind of explain themselves. Every team is playing the same way because, according to analytics, it is more efficient. Even for the teams not at the top, it is more efficienct to shoot loads of threes if you can't get to the rack.

Teams are taking quick shots because they're open. A quick 3 isnt a bad shot if you're open.

Nobody appears to be playing D because of all of the above teams are better offensively.

I'm not at all upset that teams have largely abandoned post up heavy offenses. Pace and space all the way!

Reply #658655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram

People talking about analytics as if it is some discovery like hey just found life on Mars.
The math has ALWAYS been there. The problem is, teams do NOT have the skillset of to take advantage of the math.

This is my point. Cousins and Davis should be dominating and obliberating everything in the paint.

Cousins is not very athletic and while he has a decent shooters touch like Davis, they will NEVER EVER be as good shooters as Curry and Thompson.

So why are they playing at a furious pace and shooting so many 3s?

They are not playing to there strengths, they have been conned and fooled like every other team in the NBA that if you play the Warriors way then you too will be as succesfull as them. It literally is like sheep following.

Steve Kerr must laugh every night when he goes to bed.

Reply #658663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, the problem is the executives are following analytics now but aren't experts in statistics to actually know what they mean. You have the wrong people holding the right information and it has been applied incorrectly.

Reply #658666 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Teams aren't playing to their strengths"

"Teams are scoring too much compared to past years"

Reply #658682 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This hasn't been mentioned yet but my biggest gripe is that teams get the ball to the star player, he shoots it and the other four players on the team turn away from the ball and run down the other end... they don't know if the ball went in or if it was going to ricochet in their direction and it seems like every team plays this way.

Any wonder why teams hate playing against Delly because he actually fights for the ball.

FACT : NBA is the pinnacle of basketball and so many good basketballers are sitting at the end of benches not getting a chance whilst others are apathetic about being on the court... I want maniacal to the point where you get a silly foul and pull your head in but you show you want court time.

I remember watching a Lakers vs Clippers game this season and DeAndre Jordan and Griffin had 40 odd rebounds between them (I think Jordan had like 26 and Griffin like 17) and the Lakers players were basically playing like 'well those boys are too big and too athletic so of course they will grab the rebound' rather than trying to crash the boards or even do something that would upset Jordan of whom we know has a short fuse.

I honestly believe one day an NBL team will beat an NBA team, not because they are better or better coached but because NBA players are programmed to preserve energy due to the tough schedule that they will be surprised by how determined our players in our league are and some NBA teams are just awful.

Reply #658713 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The above is SO spot on. I'd also like to add that the Boomers WILL beat team USA in next 5 - 10 years and Aussie players succeed in the USA because of attitude, work ethic and hunger for the ball.

get any US coach in Australia for a clinic and they are astounded at the hunger for the ball, the pressure D and 3 - 4 players each team crashing the boards no matter what age level.

Reply #658778 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754