Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcat busts - what happened to some of them?

What happened to some of the Wildcats big signings that never lived up to their hype?

Steven Leven - played maybe a couple pre-season games and then was cut for Brad Robbins. By all accounts was talented but lacked the work ethic. Did he ever play pro ball again?

Hugh Greenwood - quit to pursue Australian football, did he ever make it to a team?

Emmanuel D'Cress - played a couple games for the Cannon's then jumped over coke cartoons at half time.

Sunday Adebayo - A role playing import before role playing imports were cool.

Mike Spears - Another role playing import

Chris Goulding - Development player, went on to play for Melbourne, had a couple good years but hasn't been doing much lately

Topic #42242 | Report this topic

TimberBall  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood was picked up by the Adelaide Crows in the draft and became a regular by the end of the season. Played in the Grand Final this year.

Reply #658950 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Leven played in England for a few years. Don't think he had the mental capacity to play. Very talented but trouble seemed to follow him

Reply #658951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Greenwood play significant minutes in the AFl?

Leven seemed all sorts of talented. Such a shame he was a headcase.

Reply #658954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leven made Geordie Cullen look calm and collected.

Reply #658956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geordie Cullen - Perth guy, did he ever play for the Wildcats?

I knew he played in the SBL for a few seasons.

Reply #658957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say this topic is purely a vehicle to talk trash about Chris Goulding, but for anyone else curious, it looks like Leven played a season in the UK, a little bit in Europe and then retired shortly after:

2007-2008: Newcastle Eagles (United Kingdom-BBL): 17 games: 16.2ppg, 2.0rpg, 1.4apg, 1.1spg, FGP: 59.8%, 3PT: 32.3%, FT: 76.1%
2008–2009: Unicaja Málaga (Spain-ACB) 5 games: 7.1ppg, 2.0apg, 2reb, left in Jan.'09, then moved to AB Cosmetics Pezinok (Slovakia-Extraliga)
2010: SEFA Arkadikos (Greece-Greek A2 League)

Made me think of Aaron Bruce who came out of college as a bit of a prospect (even getting NBA draft talk), was NBL ROTY in Adelaide, played another season here, then two seasons in Sydney and then that was it. Tough final career quote from Wikipedia:
Following the 2012–13 season, Bruce quit the league after failing to negotiate a pay raise with the Kings; the club wanted Bruce to instead take a pay cut.

Reply #658958 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Joe Shipp? was another bust bought in when Redhage injured his hip. Perth could have just given those minutes to a dp.

Reply #658959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was about genuine busts, but the opportunity to throw a little shade at an under-performing Goulding was too irresistible

Reply #658961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Shipp was an injury replacement? I thought he was here pre-redhage.

Reply #658962 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Greenwood just played in an AFL Grand Final!

Rubbish post.

Reply #658964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood never played an Nbl game, played afl this year though, was ok but not great.

Reply #658968 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

If you don't follow AFL, it’s reasonable to not know who he plays for or was involved in the championship game.

Reply #658972 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No it isn't. It's the biggest sport in the country and someone from WA doesn't even have the QLD/NSW excuse of their state not being an AFL mad city.

This person knows damn well Greenwood 'made it' because he went straight from the Wildcats onto the Crows list, there were numerous threads on here about it and how well he had been doing too not just in some run of the mill of the team but the team that finished top of the AFL ladder and made it to the GF.

Reply #658973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Geordie Cullen - Perth guy, did he ever play for the Wildcats?

I knew he played in the SBL for a few seasons."

Correct on both counts. Wildcats wouldn't touch him as he was way too erratic. His SBL team could barely get him to show up for training sessions, had to be minded at all times.

Reply #658974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in WA and can't stand AFL and block it completely out. So, no, you can't assume everyone should know.

Reply #658975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everyone in WA follows AFL.

With social media these days you can block all content you don't like.

I block all AFL related stuff, so I have no clue what's happening. It's amazing!

Reply #658976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I vaguely remember a story of Cullen bringing out a knife in the car park after a SBL game?

Reply #658977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Anon #658976 *fist pump* to you my brother for ignoring AFL in WA like I do. Horrible sport.

Reply #658979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

first bump*

Oh and very nicely done OP with the Goulding line at the end. Ouch.

Reply #658980 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Reply #658992 | Report this post

Anonomouse  
Years ago

AFL is much too wuff for some of the petals on here.

Reply #659003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFL is much too bogan for some on here.

Correct.

Reply #659006 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

It's not about what you think AFL is. It's the ability to ignore what you are not interested in and for people not to assume that just because is "popular" people know what they are talking about.

This is a Hoops forum, don't assume people know what you are talking about when you mention AFL stuff.

Reply #659008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think in the time it took him to write the bit about Greenwood asking 'did he ever make a team?' He could have quickly googled ‘Hugh Greenwood AFL’ and got the answer immediately and found out his transition to footy was very successful.

Reply #659015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trolling at its best and people fell for it.

Reply #659021 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Demetrius Calip was signed but never played a game. He was supposed to be another ricky grace but they cut him to bring in a guy called scott fisher.

Sunday brought the pain for only a few minutes a game in a star studded line up.

Reply #659022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how AFL fans are so worried when a few of us non-mass media sheep speak out about not following it. Why are they so enraged that someone doesn't follow it is beyond me. If you enjoy it fine. I don't. Just relax how does that change your enjoyment of it? Exactly.

Reply #659029 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You wouldn't expect much from a guy named Steven Leven

Reply #659059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After he played once i knew steven was leven

Reply #659095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday wasn't an import, was a local boy development player

Reply #659100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or was that a different Sunday

Reply #659101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a different Sunday.

Reply #659107 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

No one talking about A"terror" Majok? Come on now...

Reply #659180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok was that forgettable that he's been completely forgotten.

Reply #659190 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Funny post

Reply #659201 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Greenwood was signed under the AFL's special rules, that basically made him a freebie for the Crows (rather than taking a draft pick and a place on the list.) They are called "Category B Rookies."
And yes, you'd have to say it was successful. After a season (or 2?) as a rookie, he made it onto the main list, played 15 games this year, and was good enough to make the GF.
(Oh, and got paid a LOT more money for doing it.)

PS: Worthington actually tried out for the Eagles under the same scheme, but was too old and battered by that stage as he left it rather late in his career.

Reply #659218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754