Isaac
Years ago

Walker replaces Brandt for Boomers vs Japan

Ahead of the Australian Boomers' FIBA World Cup qualifier in Adelaide on November 27, Angus Brandt has been replaced by Lucas Walker due to illness.

From a broader squad of 24 submitted to FIBA before the qualifiers, the Boomers have brought Walker into the team for their first game on home soil since the Farewell Series prior to the 2016 Rio Olympics.

A team mate of Brandt's at the Perth Wildcats, Walker is averaging 10.7 points, five rebounds and two assists per game in the 2017/18 season.

He will make the trip over from Perth in time to join his national team mates for their final training session on Monday.
Didn't Walker suit for a Boomers team of some level in recent years and perform admirably?

Topic #42264 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

That could have been the 2014 Sino-Aus challenge? I do remember him playing fairly well in what I think was his first appearance and within a year he was on the Boomers' PF depth chart.

Reply #659402 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow Australian Basketball has resorted to Lucas Walker playing for the Boomers!

Our depth once you get outside the NBA guys isn't great.

Glad that the majority of these guys won't be near an Olympic boomers team or we'd be embarrassed.

Reply #659405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who's playing in Europe and likely not available either - Motum, Broekhoff? Bairstow is injured, Lisch too. Most teams will be weakened if you take out 10+ of their best players.

Reply #659407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden

Reply #659408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missing

NBA-
Mills
Dellavedova
Exum
Ingles
Simmons
Mathiang
Baynes
Bogut
Maker

Europe-
Broekhoff
Motum
Bolden

NBL-
Lisch
Bairstow

College kids...

Reply #659409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given its a likely win anyway and he had to be replaced at short notice. Why not reward a veteran of the NBL who has worked extremely hard. It's not like he hasn't earnt the spot.

Reply #659415 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Walker is having maybe one of this best seasons ever. The guy is more physical and will probably bring more to the table than any of Johnson or Humphries, and Ogilvy will never get out of the dog house. I think he was the right choice to make.

As for the depth of Australian basketball, the USA didn't look all that great in their recent qualifiers when relying on D League players, and barely beat teams we would probably beat with the team we have. I don't think there is any problem whatsoever with the depth of Australian basketball right now, although we do need to develop some centers for post 2020.

Reply #659418 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Walker deserves his spot.
The team is what it is. We should be grateful that we have easybeat teams and an easy path to world cup

Reply #659420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't need centres, we need shooting guards.

Reply #659421 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Lemanis really really doesn't like AJ or DJ does he. Would make more sense to bring Humphries in to give him a taste instead of a guy who won't be around Boomers going forward

Reply #659422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree^

Adnam for Martin also.

Reply #659423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to know the story behind the AJ-Lemanis beef.

Reply #659426 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

AJ was clearly the guy who is a like for like replacement.

Agree that we have 14/16 guys way ahead of this NBL roster but i guess against Asian opposition we should be winning these guys with a SEABL all-stars roster let alone NBL talent.

Reply #659427 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't know what Ogilvy ever did wrong for Lemanis to blacklist him from the Boomers but it's hardly a big deal, the guy is too easy to take out of games mentally and I wouldn't want DJ any where near a Boomers team either.

Reply #659432 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Even Daniel Johnson would've been good wouldn't have to pay for travel in Adelaide.
Boomers will win by 20+ regardless.

Reply #659433 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I agree that Walker has definitely earned his spot this season, consistently very good and energetic and won't be left wanting for effort... Would have been nice to see Humphries get a look in with the more traditional 5-man position, but more than happy to have him remain in Sydney and working on his game...

Anyone know much about Team Japan? Many bigs we need to worry about?

Reply #659435 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even Daniel Johnson would've been good wouldn't have to pay for travel in Adelaide.

That kind of reasoning is why we once saw guys like Brett Wheeler & Chris Blakemore playing for the Boomers. At what point are you just devaluing the honour of playing for your country?

Reply #659441 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Anyone know much about Team Japan? Many bigs we need to worry about?"

haha no. They have a decent import dude who I think is a combo forward but that's it. I don't think they have anyone bigger than 6'8. We're not going to have much of an issue inside against Japan.

Reply #659447 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

The same CHRIS Blakemore that Magic Johnson said could make the NBA?

Reply #659449 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Is your point that Magic sometimes says stupid things or that Blakemore was actually even remotely close to NBA standard?

Reply #659451 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to give AJ the nod based on NBL form this season, but he does his best work when he's the biggest guy on the court so would probably have been a good option if not for the apparent blacklisting.

Re: Walker he arguably deserves to be there over some of the other guys in the squad based on his NBL form. Not a 1-for-1 replacement on paper, but Walker can play the 5 against Japan.

Reply #659452 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The same Brett Wheeler that played 450 NBL games?

Reply #659453 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

And Blakemore was an outstanding prospect - rookie of the year and most improved. Injuries cruelled his career.

Neither he nor Wheeler "devalued" anything.

Reply #659454 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

I am guessing you never saw Blakemore play.

Reply #659455 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

You'd be guessing wrong then.

Reply #659456 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Japan's frontline isn't going to be giving anyone any sleepless nights, but guys like Hiejima, Togashi, Baba (very exciting athletic young swingman), Tanaka, and Furukawa (when he's feeling it) will keep Japan competetive.

Ira Brown (the naturalized player) is insanely undersized (195cm or so) for the front court. But his length and athleticism make up for it.

I'm looking forward to tonight.

Reply #659457 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Our NBA group is excellent , but maybe we are thin for very good European players

Which is the difference between us and some other top nations ?

Reply #659458 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Blakemore was averaging 14 and 6 in the NBL or so when in Boomers contention

Kickert 14 and 4
Brandt 8 and 5
Hodgson 5 and 3.5

You can look up Wheeler's numbers but I bet they were bigger than the 3 I just listed

Reply #659459 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

,, most likely djs numbers are more...

Reply #659460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie has length as an example, Ira Brown does not. (Abercrombie is 1.98 & Brown is 1.93)

Reply #659461 | Report this post

Ceres 43  
Years ago

Brown seems to have a pretty good wingspan in relation to his size, hence he can (in concert with his athleticism) play bigger than his listed height.

Opposite of Kevin Wills (old school Altanta Hawks "C") who was the poster boy for tall dudes with "t-rex" arms.

Reply #659462 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Blakemore also played in 48 minute games.

Reply #659463 | Report this post

worthy or not  
Years ago

Unfortunately the Uniform is already devalued with Hodgson playing let alone starting. Living on potential, cant stay in games at NBL level. Lemanis certainly plays favourites leaving Newley out of Olypmic team and bringing him in as last off the bench on Sunday is an insult to his best small forward. DJ and Ogilvie clearly better than Brandt, Kay and Hodgson. Don't give me the poor D stuff when he has Kickert as a starter (very poor defender and the worst rebounding big in NBL)Australian basketball is full of this stuff. BTW Walker has been very impressive for Wildcats and as a stretch four is better than Kay.

Reply #659464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magic Johnson also drafted a point guard who is slow and has a broken jumper at number 2 because he thought he could be the second coming of himself

Reply #659466 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Blakemore played comparable minutes to those listed

Reply #659469 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

..it think david anderson has some boomers experience...

Reply #659470 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hodgson is a joke. Not worthy of boomers

Reply #659472 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

a but on Japan and who to look out for

Boomers looking to roll through Japan in Adelaide

Reply #659473 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Its a bit weird, but as a spectacle I am enjoying it. Nice to see a bunch of guys who wouldn't otherwise get the chance, represent their country.

I agree it makes a mockery of the process, we are progressing with a squad not even remotely like our actual wc team, but it what it is.

ANd I think the thing that impresses coaches abut Walker is his team spirit and work ethic. He came to Perth as a short-term injury replacement, stayed as a TP, worked his butt off, and is currently one of the best local forwards in the comp.

Reply #659490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754