Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 9

Wed 7:00pm - Sydney vs Adelaide
Wed 7:30pm - Dandenong vs Townsville

Thu 6:30pm - Perth vs Canberra

Sat 2:30pm - Adelaide vs Perth
Sat 3:00pm - Sydney vs Townsville (Foxtel)
Sat 7:00pm - Bendigo vs Dandenong
Sat 7:30pm - Melbourne vs Canberra

Topic #42272 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Some big games there.

Sydney - Adelaide: 2 v 4.
Adelaide - Perth: 4 v 3

Townsville (1) with two road games
Canberra (bottom) with two road games too

Both Bendigo and Dandenong are struggling this year so that game should be tight as well.

Reply #659574 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If I understand Sydney Uni's tweet correctly, both of tonight's games will be live streamed by Fox Sports

Reply #659577 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah it's funny, Adelaide are turning into the lynchpin this season. Them doing well affects all other teams and they always seem to have the strong match ups. Round to round. It's a good chance for them to gain on Melbourne, who are two games ahead of the rest now which won't help them when they are out of the finals currently.

I think Sydney should win both games, but Adelaide come back to end Perth's streak which should be at 8 after Canberra. Lineball, but will back Laney's form against Rangers, who may get hot too so that's close. Melbourne should record an easy win.

Reply #659600 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Liz will be in 'Rampage' mode or 'Outrage' mode for the return match-up against the Caps. Or maybe she'll just swing crazily between the two and then cuss out the League again. Hard to predict.

Reply #659609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF Townsville?

Reply #659623 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Tonight was just one of those crazy nights in the league... Townsville 19 points in the first half. Sydney shot poor from 3 point line compared to last week hitting 100+ vs Melbourne. This league is so close between the top 6 teams anything is possible on any given night. Heck, maybe Canberra will upset Perth tomorrow night.

Reply #659653 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/wnbl-canberra-capitals-star-rachel-jarry-has-no-interest-in-unwanted-history-20171128-gzutst.html

Mistie Bass won't be playing in Canberra's first game of their weekend tonight as her son is/was in hospital, but should be back for their game against Melbourne. Wehrung on limited minutes as well coming back from her ankle injury. What was already going to be a tough night in the office is looking even more difficult for the Caps.

Reply #659706 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Don't think we've had a night of upsets like that this season. Huge wins by Adelaide and Dandenong. Rangers still keeping their finals hopes alive, but it'll be a tough ask. What happened to Townsville? They probably have the best all-round squad so with their depth no way should have lost that.

Reply #659732 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

WOW.. I know this isn't the betting WNBL thread but just have to point this out. Lynx opened at -9.5 and went as high as -13.5. For everyone on Perth, down 51-39 at half time, you would think your ticket is going to be ripped up. Then they come back with a HUGE second half and win the half with an astonishing 50-25 score line which is just madness.

Reply #659802 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

HOW 'BOUT DEM LYNX! :D

how bout dem caps :(

Reply #659817 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

For anyone at last night's game, did the Lynx just step up their game after half time or did the Caps get ahead of themselves and choke again?

Reply #659839 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Before someone answers your quetion, Melb Fan, Canberra seems to me that team that tries but get reigned in simply because they are outclassed. Perhaps the squad sometimes looks better on paper than it really is because Bass, for whatever reason, doesn't play enough minutes and Jarry is out of touch everytime she eventually has suited-up. In reality I'm probably letting them off the hook saying that, because there does seem some under performers and lost confidence, including players who look like they are in for a break-out game but finish off poorly.

Reply #659849 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Agreed, to me it seems the Caps haven't gelled whatsoever. You wouldn't think a team containing Bass, Hooper, Hurst, Wehrung & Jarry would be floundering around in last spot before the season started. It's a shame because almost all of the additions to their roster had actually played together/with retained players before, just at different clubs/representative teams. Perhaps it is also a coaching issue?

Reply #659884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ezzi should be getting more minutes.

Reply #659888 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

For sure, I was glad to see she got the start in Bass' absence last night. I guess Magbegor having fewer mins is the cost for having Bass and Scherf on that roster as well though. IMO Scherf is almost stunting her growth as a player now, not sure whether it is just that she's out of form or she's being ill-utilised by the team but I'd have picked her to be playing better than she has this season.

Reply #659907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Lynx looked asleep in the 1stQtr they were wearing armbands so maybe something happened. Another option considering the extremely different shooting% for both teams after the half is the unfriendly rim on the east side of bendat.
The Lynx struggled withthe size of the caps until they started playing 4 out 1 in, caps force williams into fade aways instead of jumpers in the 1st half so she started attacking more in the second to get space.

Ezi looked good but struggled with the Lynx help defence & double teams in the second half. The lynx don't have a lot of height but their guards can jump and play bigger opponents.

Reply #659908 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah I was fully expecting the upsets to continue after HT. Glad the Lynx got it together. Shame for Canberra though, would've been a great scalp to get and to have something to take from this season. Impressive streak by Perth, will be tough to keep it up against Adelaide who have hit some form again.

Reply #659909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sherf probably should have stayed with Rangers, Canberra recruited over her when they signed Bass, some are confidence players, she isn't having the best season

Reply #659950 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice lineup of games today. I expect Melbourne-Canberra to be a fizzer, but the first 2 should be good ones, and I reckon Bendigo will rightfully fancy their chances against a vulnerable Rangers team too.

Reply #660021 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By the way, Derek Rucker's "Ruckus" podcast had a 20 minute WNBL segment at the end of the latest segment, with Kelly Bowen, and I thought it was excellent. They both just say it like it is, which is refreshing. Give it a listen.
The Ruckus Podcast - Austin Carr Ep 7
(it's also available on iTunes)

And of course the Sami Whitcomb interview from The WNBL Show this week is mandatory listening as well ;)
It was better than a standard interview because this week it had Larissa Anderson asking some of the questions in addition to Megan
The WNBL Show
(also available on iTunes)

Reply #660024 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I tipped that today would be when the Lynx winning streak ended.

Nope :D

TV game has been a good one. Sydney lifted a gear when Taylor went off injured but fell just short.
Quality minutes from Donnelly in Wilson's absence.

Reply #660051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have really put it together after looking lost earlier in the season.

Teams won't want them in the finals, especially if they get home court.

Reply #660053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No definately won't want a home court final looking at the box score of the last game....Perth won that at the foul line

Reply #660062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or have Perth peaked too early?

Reply #660066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very ordinary & deliberate rake on Asia Taylor's eyes by Cayla George today. Payback for the elbow to George’s head in the 1st half. It unfortunately put Taylor out for the last 8 minutes of the game which certainly assisted Townsville. Not a very Christian like act on George’s behalf!

Reply #660100 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yikes - looking like the Caps are having a mare at the SBC.. 28-6 first quarter with their starters combining for 0 points at 0/9, 2 rebounds, 2 TO & 5 fouls. Liz already up to 11 & 5 and O'Hea 9.

Reply #660102 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Melbourne leading Canberra 28-6 at quarter time. This could get real grim

Reply #660103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dog act from George

Reply #660109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

complete accident from George I think you mean

Reply #660112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely no way it was accidental by George! She's been doing those type of acts for years going as far back to her Eastern Mavericks days!

Reply #660118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one more deserving than Taylor to receive that kind of treatment.

Reply #660121 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Didn't seem malicious to me at the time - just a block attempt gone wrong - but maybe I should have another look.

DJ Lizzy C. showing out in front of the Dallas Wings Head Coach & the Director of Player and Franchise Development. 38 points and counting ... at a ridiculous 16/18 from the field.

Reply #660125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc - definitely worth another look, her hands were elevated above her head on the drive & then they come down in a raking motion intentionally & deliberately towards Taylor's eyes. Definitely a square up by George for an earlier swinging elbow by Taylor to her head.

Reply #660128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Director of Player and Franchise Development"

Erin received a promotion, Luuuc. She's Dallas assistant coach now, replacing Pettis. Seems quite the step for someone with no real experience, reckon the team quite likes having her around or something.

Reply #660419 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah my bad. I copy & pasted from the Wings website. Totally forgot about her promotion. As did the webmaster, apparently.
And yeah, she must be doing something right.
(or else they're REALLY pulling out all stops to secure Liz)

Reply #660426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754