We have seen it with the likes of Darnell Mee, Sean Redhage and Kevin Lich

Reply #659690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't be encouraged when we have plenty of our own born an raised talent

Reply #659693 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

^^^ True but if there's a weakness in the lineup like the SG position it would make a lot of sense to look at a naturalised import. Last olympics they obviously tried to address that area in taking Lisch but he looked out of his depth at that level.

If we are lucky someone of the caliber like Cotton would be in the NBL long enough and wanted to become a citizen then he definitely would slot nicely into the boomers team.

Reply #659699 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Short answer is that imports can't play for the Boomers.

As per above post, they need to naturalise first, at which point they can play as locals in NBL.

FIBA has some rules about this process and eligibility to play for a country as a naturalised player. There's a limit of one such player in a national team, I think. The player also can't have previously represented another country in certain international tournaments. e.g., Olympics, worlds and some others.

I'm not sure if FIBA has any rules about how long a naturalised player has to have been a citizen before they can represent a country. Given how quickly Lisch was drafted after becoming an Australian citizen, probably not.

Reply #659700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the rule is something they need to have had 3 years of residency along with the citizenship to be able to play. Lisch already had the residency and just needed the citizenship. In 2014 Andray Blatche got his citizenship for the Phillipines but was disqualified from a tournament because he didn't have the 3 years.

Torrey Craig was looking to naturalise until he went to the Nuggets, then that stuffed him up with time spent out of the country and missing key dates (can't remember exactly what).

Reply #659711 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Lanard Copeland there is another that has never left our Shores. Rob Rose is still in Townsville and Naturalised. Adonis Jordan lives in Melbourne. A lot of imports have come over and naturalized.

Reply #659721 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Thon Maker would be classed as a naturalised player right?

Reply #659723 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Same way Olajuwon from Nigeria played for USA.

Reply #659726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need old "Koberulz" to explain it for us

Reply #659734 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What did I do this time?

Reply #659749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woody

Rob Rose doesn't still live in Townsville, he lives in San Diego.

Reply #659793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't thybulle of Washington an Aussie citizen?
A young sg prospect who is on the draft boards.

Reply #659800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking

Reply #659934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What did I do this time?"
Posted.

Reply #659979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thybulle an Aussie citizen where do you get that from?

Reply #659980 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Thybulle an Aussie citizen where do you get that from?

He is correct was born in Sydney i believe and one of his parents is Aussie may be wrong? It was spoken about during the Boomers vs Pac 12 All Star game

Reply #659982 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Correction sorry his sister was born in Australia however he lived in aus from 1998 till 2005

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?pid=174102988

Reply #659984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my understanding is that you don't count as naturalized if you came up through juniors in that country even if you weren't born there.

Reply #659986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754