Bol
Years ago

Free Throw Huddles

What do teams talk about every time they get into their quick huddles at free throws?

Given how prone NBL refs are to calling fouls, there ae so many of these huddles, surely they run out of things to say.

In Sydney's case it seems to be Cadee who leads the huddle, what could he be saying?

"Hey Perry, I know you're on fire, but Gazey has said to ignore you on offense as much as possible so that me and Newls we can jack as many 3s as possible. Have a got a mid-range shot, hahahaha, don't make me laugh"

Topic #42290 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Next set offensively or next set defensively... maybe a reminder of what coverage they have on a particular player, talk about a coverage that they just stuffed up or a read on offense after they saw the opposition team defend their set a certain way.

They might talk about game situation so lets get a 2 for 1 situation here or we've just shot 3 straight jump shots, lets get the ball inside this time or this guy just scored 3 times in a row, lets make sure he touches the ball next time down the floor, this guy has a big mismatch lets go at him...

HEAPS to talk about.

Reply #659838 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Nah probs not Rod

Reply #659842 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I just get bored watching it...a fast game is a good game..

Reply #659843 | Report this post

Frank  
Years ago

I think Cadee talks about that time he had a car accident

Reply #659923 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

They talk about whether they've made Homicide's top 5 that week.

Reply #659960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity OP simply discounted an accurate, insightful response to his question from a respected coach with knowledge.

If teammates are not on the same page, the game is junk. Games do not need to be faster - they need to be better.

Reply #660026 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

And what evidence do you have that DJ Rods response was accurate?

Teammates should be on the same page as a result of good coaching and effective training.

Bit of a hero comment really...

Reply #660032 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha wow, it was actually the OP who trashed a comment from a QBL coach. Classic.

Reply #660033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do we know this? Because it's what we do as coaches.

A good coach is teaching his players what to communicate in a huddle. He is in the huddles at training, listening to what they're communicating. He is coaching their communication and making sure the messages are on point and that his instructions are being delivered correctly.

Good coaching happens on the court within the playing group all the time. It's called leadership. Stoppages are a crucial time to reset and refocus the group while nothing is happening on the court.

Knowing the success he's had in a good league, I'm pretty certain that DJ Rod knows what is being communicated within his player huddles. Don't assume everyone here is *just a fan* with silly handles.

Reply #660038 | Report this post

Most huddles consist of "Ok, for real though, forget the crap that Coach just said in that timeout. Here's what we're really going to run ... "

Reply #660039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huddles were Rusty Hinder's time to shine!!!

Reply #660040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754