Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL games cancelled

I get the warnings for the severe weather, but how did they seriously conclude to cancelling every single game tonight?

No rain since 3pm and none due until around 1am in the greater Melbourne area.
Only 10mm in total since 9am.

Topic #42294 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its cause of the travel factor. Games rescheduled before 10 dec. Supposedly few stadiums flooded

Reply #659987 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

The EDJBA also cancelled domestic games for today ( Sat) but Whittlesea domestic going ahead.

Reply #660010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a complete joke. Domestic games cancelled for saturday as well, it's like we have never seen rain before. There is no wind or lightening the predicted hundreds of ml of rain of course haven't happened and was never going to happen. People are just so weak these days and society is getting weaker by the year.

Reply #660011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the government seeing how much they can control peoples lives through news media scare tactics. Because most people are sheep they just follow what everyone else is doing and saying.

Reply #660012 | Report this post

Hmmmm  
Years ago

Better safe than sorry.. it's just a game

Reply #660015 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

In over a decade of taking my kids to various domestic, rep & tournament games, this is the first time I have encountered games being cancelled ahead of time.

In this era of people suing entities over stuff that once upon a time people would get on with things... I'd say these stadiums and associations are playing it safe. Small potatoes compared to cricket where a game can be delayed/called off due to a drizzle.

It's a one off precaution .. not the end of the world.

Reply #660025 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

First time in over 35 years I have seen it happen.

Reply #660030 | Report this post

Reg Grundy  
Years ago

About time VJBlL ran the first 3 weeks off grading as a single weekend tournament and share it amongst the venues,the season is too long is a common debate,I am sure it would take pressure of families at what is a busy time of year,and would lesson the effect of sides missing good players overseas on state trips

Reply #660036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Single weekend tournament for first phase would be perfect

Reply #660048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Associations will never let it happen, way too much money lost on door and team sheet fees.

Reply #660050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's correct. Because the bottom line is more important than kids burning out because they play too much and don't get as much of a break as other sports.

The VJBL calendar is crazy. If they were sensible they could have Term 4 off. It would be up to the Associations to devise their own revenue raising ventures.

Reply #660060 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

I agree, Start grading after New Year. Make 8 team grades, 14 rounds, top 4. 3 weeks of finals. This would make up 4 weeks b4 X-Mas!
Kids get break and some will not get burnt out by 18's.

Reply #660107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All they would have to is charge for each score sheet,$5 door entry play 3games over 2 day weekend,all takings go into pool and they revenue share,the expense for each venue would be more than compensated by canteen revenue,and play each pool at neutral venue then no one is disadvantaged,burn out factor for players coaches and parents has to be reduced,it is a contributing factor for girls turning to footy,no late friday nights is another reason,you only need a venue to be running slightly behind for any number of reasons and some 18s games are starting after 10,

Reply #660111 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

we would just be happy if SA held grading phases over Summer

Reply #660187 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Probably the worst part of this cancelation is that VJBL have hand-balled the rescheduling off to the associations and are having no part of it. Pretty lazy by them.

Reply #660251 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry lazy probably isn't the right word and they do have over 12,000 families involved in the league but it just seems to be a bit of a mess.

Reply #660252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do the VJBL have a "make up round" in the calendar yet refuse to use it. This is why it is there. Farcical what is going on this week!

Reply #660341 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754