Anonymous
Years ago

Former Sydney Kings Players

I find it very hypocritical of former sydney kings players saying recently on Fox Sports Andrew Gaze shouldn't be sacked. But when they are away from the camera, they still express their anger at the organisation for hiring a Tigers player and feel any other kings coach would have been sacked by now with a 3-10 record and on the bottom of the ladder!

Topic #42312 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gaze is a fifth columnist!

Reply #660455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll think you will find that most of the anger is JVG not so much Gaze.

Reply #660456 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The players are mad at JVG? For what... signing them??

They're just about the only ones that couldn't be upset with him, excluding Garlepp.

Reply #660463 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Ah my bad, I didn't read "former" [players]. Fair enough then.

Reply #660464 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

OP...can you provide evidence of one or many ex-Kings players who have publicly stated they support Gaze then 'away from camera' (social media?) they express their anger at an ex-Tiger at the helm?

Reply #660465 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I assume OP referring to Carfino and Rosen. Carfino was just being frank in his assessment and about as critical you can be without going into hostile territory.

Rosen is the one that could be accused of being a bit hypocritical but he's also likely to be correct in his assessment that its pointless to fire Gaze now. Too late to make a difference and will only create more chaos. This season is pretty much a write-off.

Despite doing better last game, he should be let go next season. The franchise & fans won't tolerate another season of being treated as a training academy. Priority should be to retain key players including imports and a bona fide experienced coach.

Reply #660539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain sacking Gaze is the answer, he knows his basketball, IMO it's all to do with the make up of the team. The only coaches that have actually looked any good so far this season are NZ and Perths, even Melbourne with there million dollar imports don't look good. Hopefully Gaze gets some wins on the run home and finishes his contract.

Reply #660543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm not certain sacking Gaze is the answer, he knows his basketball,..." Not as a coach. NO.

Reply #660553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recruited too many ball dominant players and not enough role players. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Well, there's at least one but not good enough for this league!

Reply #660588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Rosen hypocritical?

Reply #660592 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, nah, anon, you've got no credibility while ignoring all the obvious faults of Gaze as a coach...

Despite doing better last game, he should be let go next season. The franchise & fans won't tolerate another season of being treated as a training academy. Priority should be to retain key players including imports and a bona fide experienced coach.

Obviously I can only speak as a fan, and even then as the small group who are actually passionate about the team (the usual curse but in this case blessing for JvG in that most people who turn up to games are apathetic followers at best, so their fuck ups don't have as big an impact on them as say the Wildcats fan base) but there will be so much outrage it's not funny... People have already been talking about wanting their money back and actually approaching the front office (only to get denied) and I can't remember the last time that a GM was forced to face the media (even if it was only a fanboy blogger) to address some pretty serious concerns fans had with the team...

If it goes the same next season, I don't want to think about the outcry... I for one won't be renewing my season membership and I've been a member for 18yrs... Lots of other long time fans I know already didn't renew this season for the first time in nearly 20yrs...

The current Melbourne management are eroding SYDNEY Kings history and their legacy, so no wonder ex-players have spoken out about their shortcomings... If it was any other person as head coach, they would have been sacked and a LOT more being said about them, especially by past players and other historical team icons...

Reply #660594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG didn't expect the onslaught of Kings fans venting their disappointment on social media, particularly on the Kings FB page. I remember him promising us at the start of last season nothing less than playoffs would be acceptable and they finished on the bottom on the ladder and are at that same position today!

While jvg was away on stress leave due to the state of the team position and the criticism he's received from 95% of the kings fans, he should grew some balls and sacked the kings coaching staff to give us fans a glimmer of hope for 2018! Because it's very clear this season is a WRITE OFF!!

I'm sure former players are embarrassed the way the kings finished last year and even more then this season because nothing changed!

The bleeding won't stop until the Mel Tigers.. JVG, Gaze, Copeland are sacked!!

Reply #660642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#1. There is no such thing as stress leave.
#2. If you are on sicl leave you are sick and can't therefore sack anyone.
#3. He needs to be sacked before anyone else.

Reply #660647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot hate on the Kings coaching staff, other high spending teams ain't doing that well either with formidable coaches, Brisbane, Melbourne, it's only a few months ago that Melbourne had the best starting five ever put together and Brisbane roster not shabby either. Hawks got a few Australian reps and battling as well. Perth also last season were gone till Cotton turned up.

The competition is so even its easy to blame coaches but some of squads lack balance which is on the head of who ever puts the team on the floor. Gaze is certainly not perfect but it's tall poppy syndrome why he's copping it.

Reply #660653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tall poppy syndrome or not. The kings lose to Bullets and Utd this weekend somebody should be SACKED!!

Reply #660678 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Lot hate on the Kings coaching staff, other high spending teams ain't doing that well either with formidable coaches

Smacks of whataboutism and how other teams are going is completely irrelevant to the issue that Gaze is a shit coach and isn't getting HIS job done with the players HE has available... Look at all the examples people have given as to WHY he is a rubbish coach and dispute them before comparing him to other coaches...

Perth also last season were gone till Cotton turned up.

Ugh, this fucking chestnut again... Compare how even our team is and the Perth team was before Cotton turned up... Compare their levels of defence, their turnovers, their points allowed in the paint and try to figure out WHY that only getting some guy who can light it up at the offensive end was all the Wildcats needed last year and then come back here...

The competition is so even its easy to blame coaches but some of squads lack balance which is on the head of who ever puts the team on the floor. Gaze is certainly not perfect but it's tall poppy syndrome why he's copping it.

Bullshit... It's close at the top, close in the middle and then there are the Bullets and the Kings... And I'd reason that at least the Bullets have been in more contests for longer and closer to actually getting wins than the Kings, so it's basically just the Kings at the bottom... Refute the facts as to why Gaze is a crap coach instead of making lame calls about tall poppy syndrome against one of the most beloved players to play the game...

Reply #660684 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754