Anonymous
Years ago

You reckon the Kings have issues?

Melbourne on another level.

Easily the most overrated team in the NBL.

oh oh but they almost beat the Thunder LOL.

Played that game to the absolute max of there abilities with the hope they will impress scouts while the Thunder treated it as a training run and were thinking all game what they were going to eat to for dinner.

Goulding showing why he never made it to the NBA.

Prather also showing why he never made it to the NBA and was a major beneficiary of the Perth System. Perth made him look good, not the other way around.

Ware also showing why he was DUMPED from the NBA.

3 of the most overrated players in the league. It is not even close.

Topic #42334 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman not showing much either, blind Freddie could see Moller brought them energy and defence and then he benches him. Ando and Barlow showing signs of age and those imports very hot and cold, Prather no mvp except for the media.

Reply #660868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather has carried United in a few games this year though. Is it a case of Perth made Prather look good, or United just make him look bad?

Missed his last few games so can't comment much on those, but he still seems like a great player imo

Reply #660876 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

United looked dangerous.......and then Goulding came back

Reply #660880 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah it literally started to fall apart when CG came back. Amazing. The Casper-Chris dysfunction was bad last season but worse this season.

Casper could probably do with a rocket. *quickly google searches US point guards who can penetrate to the rim*. Oh hey there, Kevin Dillard, what's up?

Reply #660882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richmond had the Ty Vickery curse. United have the CG43 curse! Its real!

Reply #660883 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Goulding was -15(+/-) tonight, only time United looked threatening was when Miller replaced him at the start of the 3rd, the team was balanced and they made a run.
Casper was at 0(+/-) I like how they play when he's on court without Goulding.

Reply #660884 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Moller ^^

Reply #660885 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Does Casper get to the rack enough?

Agree with Moller. Team clearly started playing well once he stepped on court. The moment he left in the third, they turned to putty again. Pathetic really. Starting five should look like this:

Ware
Goulding
Prather
Moller
Boone

And if that doesn't work, put CG on the bench. But I genuinely think Casper may need to be replaced. And it's sort of starting to get to a point of being time sensitive if they want to replace imports.

Reply #660886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller over Wesley? You're dreaming mate.

Reply #660887 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wesley does nothing but stop the ball in an offence with studs like they have in the starting lineup.

Wesley is a stud scorer but put him with the bench unit so they aren't playing with their dicks in their hands hoping the ball goes in. That second unit can defend but score to save themselves. Wesley is the perfect fit

Reply #660888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley is a black hole in the post and only has a right hand

Reply #660892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who are the Thunder in the NBL?

Reply #660896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what are the coaches looking at when Moller goes to bench and then doesn't start in the last. We can all see it, Melbourne were at there best early season after a good preseason, where Moller started or played good minutes in all quarters.

Reply #660897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whatever that post was above my brain is bleeding

Reply #660908 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I like the Kings and think they will be so much fun to watch for the remainder of the season...

I don't really think I can say that about United, they need to keep playing open air games as there is something that absolutely stinks in Melbourne... anyone have any ideas

Reply #660926 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Interesting to hear Homicide and Lachy Reid discuss whether Damian Martin would Melbourne during Friday night's game, with even Reid conceding that he probably wouldn't if he were just dropped in there now.

I think he's exactly what they need. They just don't have enough basketballs there at the moment. Someone with leadership qualities who isn't looking for his own shot all 40 minutes would work wonders.

He was right, though, that you can't fix team culture overnight. How many of these players are Vickerman's? They need a long-term overhaul of their roster with a focus on building a team, not bringing in big names who can put up high scores.

Reply #660936 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Martin would make them a lot better by the end of the season.

Having said that, I wouldn't write them off as they are just yet, remember Perth last season and NZ the year before recovered from mid-season slumps.

Yes, this United team doesn't have the history of those two, but third spot is wide open and Melbourne have huge room for improvement.

Reply #660942 | Report this post

starts at the top  
Years ago

Was Vince Crivelli at the Tigers at the same time at JVG? Maybe its a shared 'style over substance' orientation. Too many big name picks whose play isn't matching their celebrity status.

Reply #660943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Vickerman has to stand up and demand more from his team. The effort isn't there and that has to lie at the feet of the coaching staff.

Goulding has to go immediately to the bench, as does Wesley. They can provide scoring punch for the second unit.

Bring Majok back in to strengthen the interior D and Adnam needs to be coached that in his new role as starter, he is a facilitator, not a scorer. This lineup will be much more balanced.

Starters
Adnam
Ware
Prather
Majok
Boone

Reply #660949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A consistently successful team is one who makes multiple passes on offence most possessions, melbourne on the other hand seem to just get the ball to prather, ware or goulding and they shoot it that's it. never going to win a title like that.

Reply #660953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adman ? Please another over rate United player. They know he won't create his own shot or penetrate so they hang off him and lock him down - he needs something to keep defenders guessing so he can create something. Last night it was horrible.

Taipans bench’s 39 points - United bench 9 points. Sums up United right there. Shallow team culture with a shallow bench. Can’t see them challenging the deeper nz/Perth and the challengers 36ers/Snakes(jawai Carrera weigh to return). Bullets will have their moments but I can’t see them getting there - hawks as well

Reply #660968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adman ? Please another over rate United player. They know he won't create his own shot or penetrate so they hang off him and lock him down - he needs something to keep defenders guessing so he can create something. Last night it was horrible.

Taipans bench’s 39 points - United bench 9 points. Sums up United right there. Shallow team culture with a shallow bench. Can’t see them challenging the deeper nz/Perth and the challengers 36ers/Snakes(jawai Carrera weigh to return). Bullets will have their moments but I can’t see them getting there - hawks as well

Reply #660969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Dean 'Aight' Demopoulos

Reply #660974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne bench plays a lot less minutes than cairns bench, not comparable stats.

Reply #660981 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^^^
They don't get time because their bench is rubbish!

Reply #661004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^

You wouldn't no because they never play. Vickerman himself said in practice the bench wins most of the drills, maybe next time they have an open session you should go down and have a look instead of writing your rubbish.

Reply #661006 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Some approximate maths (approximate because I can't be bothered adding up all the seconds played so 'near enough'):

Melbourne bench - 36 player minutes for 9 points, average 4 bench minutes per point.

Cairns bench - 70 player minutes for 39 points, average 1.8 bench minutes per point.

I'd rest my case, but I've no idea what it is :D

Reply #661020 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

LOL @GordonG. Pretty simple mate, it means Snakes bench offensively twice as productive as United's. I did say back in pre-season that United's going to have issues with bench scoring.

I think Vickerman's biggest issue right now is convincing some players to buy into his culture. There is some resistance and if it continues, it may derail what he's trying to do. Those players need to evaluate whether winning is far more important than doing what they're used to.

Reply #661026 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754