Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Media

I have to say i am with Childress on the Marketing and Media this year. I was disappointed when I read the title for the Sixers Breakers game summary. 'Cardiac Sixers survive Sosa Scare' .. Cringe worthy. Then I read the article and it read poorly. A sign of Australia’s literacy and language issues. Who is writing this stuff ? Does anyone know ?

And we wonder why we are having an evolving violence issue in Australia and sport when we have MMA and advertising like the NBL that focus on the ‘fight. No wonder so many individual sports like Triathalons are becoming popular for parents to introduce their kids to. I say that with kids who are increasingly exposed to appalling behaviour and language on court by some players that is encouraged by Coaches and parents and rarely penalised by referees. Why would you as an organisation ignore the comments of international players that are encouraged to come to this league when reputation and word of mouth is important to draw more talent. Clearly the target audience is not basketball fans but those with money seeking entertainment, the odd few may have been fans for a while but I know many many fans who no longer go to games because of a change in the atmosphere and venue management.

Respect to Childress and others for speaking out. Many of us feel your pain and disappointment and when some of these players who are made out to be villains lash out through frustration it is jumped on as entertainment. Clearly there is a lack of understanding of what makes a player with a clean history get to that point. It almost always leads back to a lack of game control by refs of those players in the league who make a habit of poor sportsmanship and pushing beyond boundaries of the rules to antagonise players and teams. We all know who I am talking about !

Topic #42340 | Report this topic

NBL Social Media is trash. When they're not spruiking games using irrelevant indiscretions of the past, they're dialling up the lame; acting like a Dad trying to be down with the kids, and rehashing the same tired jokes about player names and cliche Americanisms. The volume of output is where it needs to be. The quality is terrible.

I'd also agree that there needs to be some serious thought given to proof reading the articles posted by NBL associated writers.

Reply #661142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Clearly there is a lack of understanding of what makes a player with a clean history get to that point"

Are you talking about Childress? Because you'd be wrong.

"those players in the league who make a habit of poor sportsmanship and pushing beyond boundaries of the rules to antagonise players and teams. We all know who I am talking about !"

Yes you're trying to blame Wagstaff for setting a perfectly legal screen, which Childress didn't see due to his decision to turn away from the play, and that none of his team mates called for him.

Reply #661143 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the argument about the NBL playing off activities they penalised is more nuanced than this, but you cite violence as a reason for parents to turn to other sports, but then pay respect to the guy that acted somewhat violently in the first place?

They're trying to build rivalries and reasons beyond the standard matchups for people to attend games. I think it comes with the strange territory of sport.

And I'd be surprised if violence was any serious deterrence for junior basketball pathways. NBL fights are rarer and much quieter than anything seen regularly in the AFL.

Reply #661148 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I have said before the NBL accounts should be kept professional and let the club accounts post the memes and friendly sledges. Some of the crap that gets posted on the NBL accounts makes the league look like a circus.

Reply #661151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/news/story?id=2408680

Reply #661152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ladder on the NBL website had six teams in the wrong spot yesterday. Its since been updated so that only two teams are in the wrong spot.

Reply #661154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person behind the NBL twitter just tries way to hard.

The video content (highlights) are done well and released at a good rate and quantity but the banter to go with it is just corny.

They sound like the middle aged dad that discovered emojis and words like "lit".

They need to tone it down and leave the bantz to the club accounts.

They offered to give a rapper, who's currently in jail for being a danger to society free access to league pass.

They are so culturally unaware.

Reply #661155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bunnies!!!

Reply #661156 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AFL Media do the exact same thing - AFL.com.au moved to this strategy a couple of years ago, it's not a bad media tactic really. We're getting a little over sensitive about it, there is theatre and theatrics in sports, and nothing wrong with bringing that out. Basketball isn't violent, and the NBL aren't promoting violence. As Isaac said, AFL is far worse and nobody bats an eye.

Give credit for actually putting forward a marketing and media tactic - and one that isn't actually incompetent.

Reply #661159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm more sick to death with crap players who have got mates in the industry that keep getting talked up, no wonder some guys can continue to play shit and are never accountable.

Reply #661165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^So you are not a fan of Kyle Adnum?

Reply #661166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam is small fish compared to some guys, re Adnam the jury is still out but does receive to much media for his out put at present.

Reply #661168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With Adnam, what if rather than seeing him as "must be friends with the NBL social media guy", you looked at it as the league showing young fans that you don't need to be a 6'6" guy to be in a league? Bogues and Boykins were discussed often during their NBA careers.

Realistically, they have to pick a few players to build profiles. The more distinct, the better. The guy with the fro. The short guy. The big dunker. Remember their fascination last year with the guy with goggles. The guy who was in a car crash. The mystery brain disease. The guy who hated the points cap, came back to the league and would be re-rated to a 1 if the cap was still around...

Reply #661169 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I found it laughable that prior to the Brisbane Vs Adelaide game the NBL marketing team had a big focus on the theirty snitches tweet from Kicks and the ensuing back and forth with Joey and Randle yet they fined Kicks and Joey at the time for conduct unbecoming. How do you fine someone for a behavior and then highlight that behavior to draw interest into a contest??

Reply #661170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WWE type stuff sells in this era.

Its an angle to try, it can be measured to see if its having an impact and if its not working try something else.

If its working stick with it and don't capitulate to a few players or a has been blogger from south australia.

Reply #661173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking about their social media yesterday and one thing I thought is they really need to use their facebook page during games more instead of just twitter. Currently on FB they just do a pregame post then a video recap after.

They have 4 times the amount of people following their facebook page and while its improving they don't utilise it enough imo. They don't need to spam their FB feed as much as they do with twitter, but I'd like to see them give some quarter updates and stuff. People might see its close and tune in.

They should also post more individual highlights on FB like they do on twitter shortly after they happen (dunks, fancy move, alley oop, big 3's, etc). On facebook if people see some big 4min postgame recap may not bother watching it and sifting through unless they had an interest in the teams. Where as a quick 20sec clip of something titled "Monster Jam By ___" will get a lot more attention imo. It makes it a lot easier for people to show their friends something cool that happened when its a short clip. Seeing an exciting highlight might make people then go tune in for the rest of the game if they aren't already.

They'll also get more 'likes' on shortclip posts too imo. If you hate the Wildcats I doubt you'd be that keen to 'like' the highlight recap of a Cats win, where as a clip of just a big Tokoto dunk you might. Anything you 'like' then gets shown on your friends feeds and becomes free advertising for the NBL.

Reply #661177 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with the ol' cardiac Sixers. Everyone loves sensationalism

Reply #661182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AKA, yeah, not sure that tweet stuff needed any sort of penalty.

Reply #661234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL twitter is lucky to get 2 RT's on any tweet. Something's not working, or they've just paid for a bunch of fake follower. Can't have 99.9% of your 44k followers not interacting with it

Reply #661283 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'd like to see more emojis from the NBL's Twitter account

Reply #661288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree the emojis are annoying, but maybe kids go for that kinda thing.

On the follower/RT ratio, I didn't go miles back on the @AFL account to find highlight videos, but many of their tweets have 2-20 RTs and a lot more favourites than RTs - similar to NBL posts. FWIW, the AFL account has 16x the followers of @NBL.

Doubt they've bought followers though. They are putting in a pretty solid effort on all the hard stuff - regular, polished content, etc.

Reply #661327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good call on the AFL as a comparison. They get close to zero engagement

Reply #661371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754