Zodiac
Years ago

Melbourne vs Sydney, Dec 11th

The two most disappointing teams this season battle it out tonight. You would have to favour Melbourne as the home team and the Kings appear to have gotten worse with Randle.

United should get this one.

Topic #42345 | Report this topic

Indominus-Rex  
Years ago

Kings got worse with Randle?? Are you watching a different team or something?

Reply #661188 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No I'm going on wins/losses they were 2-7 without him and are 1-4 with him.

Reply #661194 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Danger game for Melbounre.

Sydney's seasons over so they can come in and let it fly.

Would be a disaster for Melbourne to lose, although they seem to smash under-man teams and lose to the quality ones...

Reply #661198 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

5 hosting 8 surely Melbourne will get up for this one.
Expecting a new thread about the losing team !!

Reply #661203 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes in a few hours time there will be a Sack Gaze oe Sack Vickerman thread, hopefully with only 2 replies.

Reply #661209 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Should be a cakewalk for United. Just on-ball screen the whole night with Ware and Goulding, don't even bother popping just roll straight in. Have Moller, Majok and Barlow crash the O board, game should be won by end of 3rd. Just don't try anything fancy.

Reply #661212 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kings are definitely a better team with Randle (regardless of W/L), we got lucky with some early games against the Hawks when they were as bad as we are.

Who knows with Melbourne, but in theory they should blow us out of the water. Playing against the Sydney D is the best way for out of form guys to bounce back, so CG43 or Ware will probably drop 30, maybe both.

Reply #661216 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kings are definitely a better team with Randle (regardless of W/L), we got lucky with some early games against the Hawks when they were as bad as we are.

The Hawks aren't much chop this season and if the Kings can't beat the second worst team on their own floor as happened last game who are they going to beat?

Reply #661224 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not sure what to think about this one. I think it'll be a United win by single digits. But let's hope both teams get hot and it becomes a shootout.

Reply #661239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am enjoying watching the Melbourne Train wreck. Lets hope it continues.

The most interesting thing for the league would be for Melbourne to lose this game and the Kings go on a winning streak.

Reply #661240 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Should be mad about Perry Ellis losing Goulding while in the 2-3 zone to give him the open look and get him going, but in his defense Ellis has probably watched every United game and didn't realise Goulding can knock those down.

Reply #661245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely.

Reply #661246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"in his defense Ellis has probably watched every United game and didn't realise Goulding can knock those down."

hahah

Reply #661247 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Wow Golding's shot looks money for the first time i have seen this year. Sydney look to really have their hands full. Could be a blow out!!! Got to hang tough.

Reply #661250 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We may be on the bottom of the leader, but I'm pretty sure we are the league leaders in straight line drives down the middle of the key allowed.

Reply #661255 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Kings are just horrible.

Reply #661257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze looks like someone who is begging to be sacked to get him out of this misery

Reply #661259 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He'd be silly to quit. He's unlikely to get another head coaching job in this league for a long time if ever and he's on $400k a year under contract for next season.

Reply #661260 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Gaze is actually keen to keep coaching, I'd like to see him take an assistant gig after this and work his way back up. I hope he does quit just because I'm disliking watching him meltdown on the sidelines even less than I'm disliking what is happening on the court.

Reply #661261 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

*even more

Reply #661262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings need Danilo Gallinari

Reply #661263 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Kings could loan Lebron James from Cleveland and it wouldn't matter.

Reply #661264 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thing is though, if the team had recruited a decent import PG (not necessarily Randle) and a decent import big (not necessarily Tyler) in the actual offseason, the Lion could probably have coached these guys to .500. I don't think Gaze is even close to up to the answer at coach, but JvG has done an absolutely woeful job of putting him in a position to succeed.

Reply #661266 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

So I saw David Barlow cross someone up in the second quarter. Can you do that more often pls?

Reply #661267 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The Barlow Karma bus has just run straight over Randle. Kings losing and Randle will now fake an injury, go down the race and sit for a while. Way to man up.

Reply #661269 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Goulding must've seen his name listed in the OVERRATED thread this week and it lifted his game?

Reply #661270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Materially United's bench production is still trash but their studs are standing up

Reply #661272 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Gaze got nothing left in his tiny bag of tricks, there is not much proper plays being run out there. Its just Randle making on-the-floor decision on offense or individual player doing their one-on-ones. Nothing much going on defensively either, some token 2-3, maybe I saw a junk a few times or something that's supposed to resemble one...

Can't motivate, can't communicate, can't teach and can't discipline. Homicide, usually full of bluster didn't dare to utter a single word when Russell asked if Gaze will coach the Kings next season. There must be a gag order from up top.

Reply #661274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy Greer and Homicide were both ask by Russell should Gaze be the Kings coach next year.

Greer answer was diplomatic by saying.. its gaze decison.

Homicide who has been harsh on players that aren't playing well didn't have the balls to even say anything. #PissWewakHomicide!!

Reply #661275 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Homicide would put 80% of the blame on the players I'd say, based on his comments.

Reply #661276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell's calls on Goulding are horrendous.

Reply #661277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings need Lou Williams

Reply #661279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sliding in feet first surely that has to be unsportsmanlike at least!

Reply #661280 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Nice slide tackle by Goulding, lucky to not get the yellow card there.

Reply #661281 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Reply #661282 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

That's pretty poor there by Goulding...I’m a Melbourne supporter, he does make it hard to like him.

Reply #661284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell doesn't have a F%&king clue about basketball!

Reply #661286 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At least someone on the Kings is showing some fire. Honestly I'd rather that than standing around with their dicks in their hands like the other 4 guys on the court while they get spanked.

Reply #661289 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Tyler what a little child

Grow a pair and focus on getting wins for your team

Reply #661290 | Report this post

Spot Up  
Years ago

Agreed Angus.

Goulding should probably remember how well he's shot in other games before he starts talking to the kings bench.

Reply #661291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hoping Tyler would do us all a favour and knock that smug look off his face

Reply #661292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings need Zach Randolph

Reply #661293 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kings already have Zach Randolph

Reply #661294 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

They could go get LBJ, Durant and Curry for their 3 imports, chances are they'd lucky to be a .500 team with Gaze. They need a proper coach.

Reply #661296 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Embarrassing. Kings should be relegated to Thursday nights at Sutherland.

Reply #661297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly United are just flat-track bullies. imo this isn't them turning their season around and clicking, but just them being their usual flat-track bullies. The last month they've flogged the Kings twice and an undermanned Hawks. But then flogged when they play decent opposition (Cairns x2 and Perth).

They have some great individual players who against weaker teams can go off, but when it comes to decent opposition they can't compete. They'll be fun to watch this season and have big wins like tonight, but still don't see them as a championship threat.

Reply #661298 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Watching the game i said to the wife , Tyler looks like his about to whack someone right before him and Ando started their little push and shove.

Gaze may not be the best coach, but what these players are dishing up out there on the court is absolute tripe and they should just forfeit the rest of the season, they clearly don't care.

Reply #661299 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If I were Kevin Lisch I wouldn't want to come back to this team. Feel sorry for him.

Reply #661300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching tonight's game it's very clear the Kings will be wooden spooners for a 2nd year in a row. No other coach in any sport in australia would keep their job or in the world for that matter!

Its time for JVG to have a man to man talk with gaze and let him know the players need a new coach.

Tonight was EMBARRASSING and its time for Gaze to go!

Reply #661301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Lisch is 1 of the highest paid players in the league. Pretty clear they need him out on the court. Not sure why you would feel sorry for him.

Reply #661303 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If Gaze goes and JvG stays, nothing changes.

Reply #661304 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well there you go Gaze just said emphatically he won't be quitting.

Reply #661306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze has already stated that publicly (he won't quit). Please Cadee retire.
Gaze needs to be sacked by the person that hired him (JVG) and then JVG needs to be sacked by clearly a board that the Kings have (again) that have no balls.
So much money being wasted on such poor talent only to get bottom of the ladder again.
Under Jvg's watch the worst Kings teams ever.

Reply #661308 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's thing all these big name high priced players when they could've just put out a team of no name young guys and they would've achieved the same result, bottom.

Reply #661309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings really need Marcian Gortat

Reply #661311 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, field a SEABL side and you've won 3 less games and saved over a million dollars.

Reply #661312 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think the best case scenario for Kings fans tired of JVG and Gaze is to have Lister move JVG to purely administrative/marketing. Unlikely Harvey will cut all ties with JVG on running the Kings.

Appoint someone else to basketball ops and hire a new coach for next season. This is pretty much the last game to wait and see for that miracle perfect run. Season is officially finished so might as well start contacting potential candidates.

Financially, it may be a modest loss this season but what a waste of time, reputation and opportunity to expand market share so far.

Reply #661314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Hudson had a shoe string budget and put a better team on the floor than this. Give him JVG budget and things might have been different.

Reply #661320 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Gee it'd be tough being in the Kings situation and having to put up with a petulant gonk like Tyler. Cadee’s face when Tyler had his little temper tantrum with the towel was great.
Not only does Gaze have to deal with an underperforming team, but he has to babysit Tyler as well.

Reply #661324 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I know this has been covered here and I haven't bothered reading the detail but who was mainly responsible for recruiting? I believe jvg took the blame for that in his halftime interview a few weeks ago at the Hawks game?

Cos really, they started the season without a point guard or a decent Centre. (Then their best point guard and best player got injured). Then they recruited a guy with a history of questionable character. You could even say 2 guys with a history of questionable character if you wanna include Randle.

Blanchfield got injured too. At no time have they had a consistent lineup that resembles a balanced basketball team.

Gaze hasn't done himself any favours, but at the same time recruitment has been a complete schmozzle. I dunno. I tend to agree with Homicide- go 9-5 on the run home and try to keep Randle at least, plus most of the team and go again next year. Go 6-8 or worse and call it a day for Gaze. In between would be interesting

Reply #661328 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd rather Cadee react to his own horrendous play on both ends the past handful of games by giving a damn rather than pull faces when Tyler fires up, but YMMV.

Reply #661329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lister is the new Hudson.

Reply #661331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze will not quit because of 2 reasons.

1) He wants to save his reputation in the basketball
community by showing he's not a quitter.

2) His agreement to jvg in accepting the coaching position
was to have a guaranteed contract of $400K a year for 3
years. He will have to be sacked and be paidout this
season and next!

Reply #661336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns have had injuries to 2 of there starting 5 and they at least win at home

Reply #661337 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

2 of the most consistent nbl coaches McLeod and Dennis are available for work.both have runs on the ball with low budget teams. The Kings gig would be suited to either.

Reply #661338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the commentary ....nothing Cadee can do on that 3 from Goulding had a hand in his face.

Rewind ....Cadee has both hands below his hips as CG shoots.

Reply #661351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee and defence should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

Reply #661360 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Tylers tantrum was due to seeing how may mins Cadee plays and then seeing his stats.
Tylers was returning more even when he fouled out in 2 mins.

Reply #661367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Gaze be that selfish to stay in a job where he openly admits he's not helping the team to win?

Reply #661370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis has a head coaching job in Japan. He is not "available".

Reply #661372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vickerman did a much better job with his sub rotations last night, I liked the way he rotated Majok and Boone. The rotating of of Goulding,Ware and Prather was much better as well, allow one of the big three to sit leaving more ball for the other two, Melbournes bench don't have to be high scorers just play team and let the stars go to work.

Reply #661382 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I am surprised that Barlow's cheap shot on Randle did not get much attention. To me that was clearly a moving screen. Since when do you legitimately use your back to screen someone in transition. I thought it was an automatic block that should have been called. Referees should be trying to eliminate (a la flopping) this sort of play.

Reply #661384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Tom and it again shows in the inability of Mayberry that people on here seem to defend.

Reply #661386 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

What a fucking mess... I had to stop watching at quarter time and then skipped ahead on social media and just deleted the game from my foxtel box...

I just can't anymore... The effort on the court from the players is nothing but pathetic... Tyler is the only one showing any passion, but ruins it by acting like a child... When it takes three coaches to hold him off and then he still doesn't listen so has to be dragged off, THAT is a problem...

Players have given up... Kevin coming back might give them a bit of a boost, but that won't last long... Newls will break his contract with a Euro out clause, I think Kev might stick around due to family stuff and put up with a bit as he's on a pretty good deal for an older player that wasn't showing much before he got injured, I doubt he'd get such value next time around...

The virus has spread to the players and that's some of the worst on court effort I've seen...

Reply #661391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous #661386 I am going to have to slightly question your credibility to troll referee's as Mayberry was not appointed to this game.

Reply #661397 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Once Lisch is back and going Kings can still make playoffs if they win a dozen of their last ten (just to carry on the commentary theme).

Reply #661399 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So even if they give 110% it won't be enough? :O

Reply #661401 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The way this season going with 2 leading teams, 15 wins may be bare minimum and might need % to help you get in. You're hoping they win 12 of 13 with 3 of those vs. Perth? I can't see Gaze beating Perth 3 times in a row with at least one in Perth arena.

Also 1 more at Cairns, possibly with them at full strength with Jawai and the Volcano back... yeah, nah I don't think so AshT. They'd do well to go 8-5. That will put you at 11-17, still in wooden spoon territory.

Reply #661417 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

WookieE - I doubt Newley will get a gig in Europe, hes lost his step big time from last year.

Did I hear right that Randle has a 1 year option after this year.

If so, keep you core together, dump Tyler and upgrade the 5 spot and have one more run at it.

Look at Hardick at the Tigers in the AFL, 5 years of under-performing and they win the flag.

I think sacking coaches with time to run on their contracts, unless it's untenable, has been shown not to work in recent years.

Kings fans just need to sit this one out and look to next year (says smug United fan ;)).

Reply #661419 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I'm not going to give up on Sydney just yet, they have Lisch to come back and he may be the stabilising influence they need to give it a good crack.

I'm not suggesting they will make the playoffs, but at least they will be better than this.

Reply #661423 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"Sit this one out and look to next year!" should be printed on a banner and hung in Qudos Bank Arena, considering it's been our unofficial tagline since re-entering the league.

Reply #661424 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

I'm not 100% sure why people wouldn't want Tyler back. At least he shows some enthusiasm and fight. The rest of the King's lineup are softer than a pensioners turd.

Reply #661437 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Herve...generally teams like a player with a bit of fire and passion, Tyler has that. However, he needed to be restrained by a couple of people and even then he wasn't cooling off, that's a risk to the team where other teams can exploit hot-headedness (if that is a proper word).

Reply #661439 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Who gives a rats if Tyler has passion,his defence is non existant. He's the first name on top of Boone's Xmas card list this year!
As for Dwayne,really mate you beat the wooden spooners and you are carrying on like a pork chop.
Where were all these gun players in Cairns?

Reply #661440 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Maybe with all this dysfunction, Lisch will want to return to Perth!

Reply #661443 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

I give a rat's when the rest of the team miss assignments, don't get a hand in the shooters face, or continually fail to pick up their man.
Everyone rips on Tyler (I was one) but I'd rather have him than Cadee and Blanchfield. Newley isn't much better.
Tyler hasn't fouled out in about 4 games, but the commentators and flogs on here continually harp on about his attitude, but fail to aim criticism at the Kings local contingent who's hearts would fit in a midgets thimble.

Reply #661444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad, sad days indeed. They haven't even got a crumble in the.
Personally I think Lisch is over rated and if he comes back too early then he may well get hurt again. Equally he won't just simply dominate from his first game back. Match fitness will be the key to that.
Who else is there? Newley once a champ and not borderline out of shape it looks to me. Too hot and cold. Cadee sorry spud but you aren't NBL material. Perry is a good pick up and should be retained.
I like the look of Humphries and I would get rid of Pineau. Armpit pass. Tommy gone already next season. Blanchfield is way over rated. I think JVG look at what they have done before in a team that makes some of these players look good without realising that they may not be able to do the same in another line up. Season's already over and someone somewhere very quickly needs to sort out whats gonna wo happen next season very very soon.

Reply #661447 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

There's passion, something that Casey Prather and Russell Westbrook play with and then there's petulant whinging at every call that goes against them, something Tyler plays with.

God only knows what he'd be like in the locker room??

Players like that can only survive in a solid system's like Perth or Adelaide with tough coaches, not first time coaches like Gaze who seems to be spending more energy acting as a baby sitter.

Anyway, should make Sydney's game's more interesting if nothing else...

Reply #661449 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Go back and have a look at the last foul call on Tyler, which is whistled about 3 seconds after the supposed foul. He had every right to lose his shit.

Reply #661456 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

Goulding deserved a tech.
If Gaze is just going to be a handbag and stand there with that perplexed look on his head, that doesn't inspire confidence.
Tyler was spot on with his Goulding spray.

Unleash him I say, I want to see an epic meltdown!!!!

Reply #661459 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Any footage on youtube?

Reply #661462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah lets not go down the slide tackle no call.

Reply #661470 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

SteveK2, well what about winning thirteen of their last six games. Could they do that?

Reply #661477 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I was a little off about when the foul happened On Tyler, but this foul call belongs in the Tim Donaghy Hall of Fame. And not one commentator says anything about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKRz2f_IRg&feature=youtu.be

Reply #661481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly what foul are you referring too?

Reply #661511 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

That's right. No foul there at all. Home cooking by the ref. Man, they should be held accountable.

Reply #661512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's lazy and horrible defence which contributed to a shit being missed. Whistle was late yes but clearly a foul.

Reply #661523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754