Aussie
Years ago

Ben Simmons, Tokyo? No go?

Sort of caught the tail end of the Luc Longley interview at half time.

Thought I heard "Insurance could be a problem", Brown will hopefully encourage him", "76ers may not allow it"

Can someone clarify? Could be wrong in what I heard

Topic #42353 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't catch it but he might have meant the 2019 Worlds, not the 2020 Olympics? I'd say the Olympics would be a lock, but the Worlds, doubt he plays.

The US will probably send a second tier team (so, still a few 'all star' calibre players, but likely no 'MVP candidate' calibre players). Also, if the 76ers make the right off season moves over the next couple of years and Embiid stays pretty healthy, the 2019-2020 NBA season is the one they'll probably be looking at to make a serious run at a championship. The off-season immediately previous might just be seen as too risky.

Reply #661357 | Report this post

Daltonfor3  
Years ago

It would be great if the players said to their team "I can always find another team but I can't find another country" if their team discouraged participation in internationals.

Reply #661406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its pronounced Toe-kee-yo

Reply #661407 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

It was definately referring to Tokoyo

Reply #661409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm I dunno about that. It looks like it might be a Japanese word.

Reply #661410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tokoto? yes please

Reply #661488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet Exum wishes the Jazz had held him out. Doubt he'll get signed for much nowadays, that year off could have been vital, goodbye $100 million plus.

Reply #661601 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Simmons wold be wise to make sure they had the correct insurance in place.

Look at Exum might not get another deal in the NBA and wash around the G-League or NBL becuase he got hurt playing for Oz, so you'd hope he would have had an insurance policy for at least $10mil in the event this sort of thing happened.

Reply #661619 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754