koberulz
Years ago

Homicide's impact on the league

He's winning the poll quite handily, which I don't understand. I can't even watch games he's calling anymore.

Topic #42359 | Report this topic

snooch  
Years ago

He's awful. Although if you want a guaranteed win on the punt, bet the opposite of what he tips every single time. Don't think he's got a single one right.

Reply #661457 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

He goes too far when he is accusing players of 'taking money' from x club.

Reply #661461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's doing some good things but he also says some incredibly stupid things. Weighing up what he brings, I’m prepared to give him a pass.

Reply #661463 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll take him over Dwayne Russell any day of the week, TBH.

Reply #661464 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That pairing is truly awful.

The most annoying thing is that every time I say something negative about him on Twitter he likes and retweets it. It's like he's still in 'pro wrestling heel' mode, which worked brilliantly when he was playing but as a commentator is horrible.

Reply #661465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm, I wonder if there is anything you could do to get him to stop doing that...

Reply #661466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hated him at first, but have grown to not mind him and at times like him. It's all just part of his 'character' in the NBL 'story line' being allowed to make controversial calls and to say what he thinks.

Regardless on if you agree with his calls/comments he always brings a different point of view and stirs up some discussion. Without that the commentary box would be the same bland stuff each week.

He's a bit like LaVar Ball. Everyone thinks LaVar is stupid but he's actually really smart, he knows what he's doing, he makes these big comments to stir things up, get attention and free publicity. Homicide is similar, i mean, look at how much people have been talking about stuff this year because of him and his calls.

Reply #661467 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not that he's doing it, it's what it says about his mindset.

Reply #661468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we have one about Koberulz pls

Reply #661469 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

He's entertaining, but he's also rubbish.

Says a lot of stupid things, and absolutely he 'bashes' players way too much to the point where he is blatantly insulting them and their club. His blatant hatred for Perth is obsessive. Hate them or not, they are still the back to back champions and deserve at least the smallest amount of respect.

Despite that, he is engaging and his banter especially with Redhage is very entertaining. He has some good points. I don't hate him as much as I started off, but he still grates me a lot of the time. Particularly with his obvious statements and his "listen to me" rants...

Otherwise, he's pretty good sometimes :)

Reply #661471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah when he commentates with Redhage it's actually pretty entertaining. Homicide talks complete nonsense the entire time but it's still pretty amusing if he has some banter with Redhage.

Reply #661472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For someone who has actually played in the NBL it's mind boggling that he doesn't actually know anything about the NBL...his stupidity and narcissistic streak makes him Trump like.

Reply #661474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dislikes Homicide

Keeps bringing up Homicide

Reply #661475 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

He's just doing what he can to get along, never really got paid as much as he thought he would, or what he though he was worth, most just got paid a little more than what he was worth ( which is why not a lot of contract extensions/repeats) - jad a cerrer that did not go as long or as financially successful as he expected, so now he's left with making some money through commentating, as he's not got enough nous to be a coach.

Sa fostering a three way between his mouth, his brain and reality is not going to get him to stand out, as too many other commentators are more gifted in two out of three of those, so he is left with mouth, ( speed and volume) So its got to do 250% of the work- to make up for the lack of critical thinking and actual knowledge of the game and the NBL specifically, just a retired mid range pro-basketball player trying to live from paycheck to paycheck,

Reply #661478 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

He Sucks but so does that guy doing the walk along interview on Aussie Hoopla .

Reply #661479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love him

Reply #661480 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Someone put a loud, dumb person on tv and sat back to see how it turns out.

Reply #661489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree to disagree. I like him and I think he's a great character of the game. I also like Shane Heal and Tommy Greer. Get over it or go watch Cricket.

Reply #661491 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Corey's been likened to Skip Bayless/Stephen A. before on Hoops. The difference is these two don't commentate games, aren't paid league ambassadors, and obviously make controversial statements for ratings. Homocide is just an idiot who has a platform to speak his mind.

"He's a bit like LaVar Ball. Everyone thinks LaVar is stupid but he's actually really smart"

Homocide is not low-key intelligent - of that I think we can all be certain. While I agree with your assessment of Lavar Ball, I don't like listening to him either!

"He has some good points."

When?

Reply #661492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thing more painful than Homicide's act is the people here who call him Homocide. Are those people
A) morons
B) homophobes
C) completely devoid of wit
D) all of the above

Reply #661493 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The difference is these two don't commentate games, aren't paid league ambassadors, and obviously make controversial statements for ratings. Homocide is just an idiot who has a platform to speak his mind.
If you think Homicide believes any of what he says you're out of your mind. He's admitted he's playing a gimmick for ratings.

At least with Michael Cole's heel run you knew it was going to lead to Jerry Lawler beating the tar out of him, and it was still unbearable. We know this doesn't end with Redhage punching Homicide in the face during the grand final.

Reply #661495 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Ok ok he has no good points that I can specifically think of so I dont know why I wrote that!

However he has been more entertaining in recent calls and his chemistry with Redhage is fun to listen to. Maybe Im just getting used to him, or maybe Ive conceded and accepted his style. Theres lots to not like still.

His pre game tips where he always gets it wrong? He's either trolling for controversy or he actually has no clue. I cant decide.

Reply #661497 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I imagine he's throwing an 'out there' tip so he can dismiss it amongst all his other bluster if he's wrong, or crow about it endlessly if he's right.

Stuff like 'everyone on Melbourne should be fired' is trolling for a reaction. I have no idea what's behind "if Sydney go 9-5 the rest of the way I'll keep the whole team", especially since they won't and he's been super-keen to fire pretty much everyone all season.

Reply #661498 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"The one thing more painful than Homicide's act is the people here who call him Homocide. Are those people
A) morons
B) homophobes"

So I take it you believe Homocide is the killing of homosexuals?

Reply #661499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is moderately funny to think Ol Koberulz of all, would be the one to start a thread on someone popularity. Homicide like him or loathe him, works well for the league at the stage its at.

Reply #661500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much direction do you all think the NBL provides to Williams? I assume his approach is no accident, although his commentary does seem in keeping with his player profile. Some of his comments are misguided enough to just sound like trolling. Most people experienced in an field would not put such comments against their names, so I wonder how much of the ploy is staged by editorial direction.

Reply #661501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing positive about him is when he gets called out by a fellow commentator about one of his shit calls, he takes the banter pretty well. Has grown on me throughout the season.

Reply #661505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He remains conspicuously silent on some topics though (as do others).

Reply #661506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As for Williams growing on the audience, he was easy to dislike at first, but he has some fierce competition to be the worst commentator in the NBL.

Reply #661507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like Homicide so I will start a thread on it.
"The most annoying thing is that every time I say something negative about him on Twitter he likes and retweets it"
So you are a fan and deliberately say something negative against him. There you go you have your answer. You are an idiot.

Reply #661510 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was almost coherent. Well done!

Reply #661513 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

The fact that this thread exists proves that Homicides plan is working.

Reply #661514 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Right, and the refs are brilliant and Sydney's executed their plan perfectly.

Reply #661515 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, no matter how much you dislike homicide, and no matter how strongly you feel about your reasoning, you are not winning this battle.

Suck it up champ.

Reply #661516 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He is an illiterate joke!

Reply #661518 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

You just hate him because you aint him.

Reply #661519 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Homicide's OK

Good in small doses, can grate after a while, but generally gives you something to think about. I actually like him and Redhage together, Redhage is a bit boring and cerebral and Homicide just talks a lot of crap so it's a good little balance.

Reply #661520 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

There needs to be a character doing his job and he is that. If not him who else?

Reply #661522 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Love him!!! He says what most people are thinking at home...Its good he gets on players that aren't performing...Thats not bashing players, thats just facts they aren't performing...Like someone said in the earlier comments, go watch cricket!

Reply #661524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He says what most people are thinking at home."

Does he? Do you sit at home predicting the underdog will win each game, then when it finally happens, run around the house screaming "I told you! I told you! But no one listened!"

Reply #661525 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Ive enjoyed his commentary from the beginning. He provides some personality among some otherwise boring commentators. He can ramble on too long sometimes and get a bit annoying when hes trying to get his point across. But my impression of him is that hes intentionally provocative with the discussions he creates and enjoys being the adversary.

Reply #661526 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Having a commentator ask a coach in a pregame interview if he'd sack his import point guard if he didn't play well in that game is an embarrassment and plain trolling. But that seems to be the way the NBL wants to promote itself this year - controversy for the sake of it.

Swearing during calls, being plain wrong about nearly everything, asking ridiculous questions in interviews - none of that is entertaining, it's bush league.

Reply #661527 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yes he shouldn't be doing any interviews thats for certain

Reply #661529 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I don't want the commentators to be entertaining, I want the basketball to be entertaining.

Reply #661532 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A few other things that grate me:

his latest "top 5". does anyone actually care who that is? Hes not exactly an expert in anything so why should we care or take note? He goes on and on about it. This gets boring.

The general talk about fantasy nbl (all commentators are guilty of this). For viewers that dont play fantasy, why the hell should they care about it! Its blatant over promotion for something that doesnt need to be promoted too much.

Yes Homicide gets many things wrong and its probably deliberate to create discussion (which works). However he could tone down the stupidity at times to make it look like he knows some things. And then his banter would be worth listening to and the commentary improved.

Reply #661533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep him away from interviews because they are legit embarrassing to both himself and the interviewee, but he has definitely been good for providing extra talking points for the commentators.
Yes he says some silly things but it's is pretty easy to just overlook those and keep enjoying the game. I honestly don't understand how anyone can let a silly comment ruin a whole game for them. Who is really that precious? Or if they're not really that precious, who would claim to be, and why? because that's even worse.

Reply #661536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone of you need to realise that your complaints should be directed at the league's marketing strategy and not the commentators (aka messengers).

Homicide is doing his job. Look how long this disucssion is.

If you don't get his top 5 or see the point in it, but you take the time to talk about it online then you are being worked to perfection.

Koberulz is the ultimate mark.

Reply #661537 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Facts!!!! People are talking about it so thats all the league wants good or bad. Just like Gaze should get the flick!!! Protected species....

Reply #661538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hater- aide for everyone. Koberulz went hard on every platform. Settle down champ. Enjoy the festive season and take a chill pill. Just remember, it's the most wonderful time of the year.........

Reply #661539 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree with anon above - don't like it, contact the NBL. Does he go overboard sometimes (often)? Yes. Is it entertaining? Sometimes. Is it grating? Sometimes. You may hate it, heck, 50% of people might hate it, or maybe it's just all the people @'ing him on Twitter and everyone else loves him? He's definitely doing what the league asks - listen to him talk on the Rucker podcast for what I'd say is a more ... measured look at him off the camera.

I think he works fine in the current commentary team, and meshes well with a couple of the other commentators. I think he's taken a few steps forward this season than the first time he was brought in to commentate.

Reply #661542 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wait, are we keeping Homicide because he gets people talking, but we're hating on koberulz because they are, umm, getting people talking?

If you're someone that finds that koberulz's posting on Hoops impacts your enjoyment of reading/posting here, maybe you can appreciate how others might feel about Homicide and the NBL?

As was said, a shock jock with a dedicated show is pretty easy to ignore. Less so in a commentary team in the only broadcast available. It's meant that I watch those particular games with sound muted.

Reply #661545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait... I've never seen Koberulz and Homicide in the same place.

Reply #661548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide's obviously playing it up, that is what he must do so stay relevant.

But listening to him in the Sydney Vs United game he just tries way too hard to be controversial and makes himself look like an idiot, and comes across very fake.

Goulding is already on fire and then drains a tough 3 with Cadee all over him, Homicide makes remarks "he has Cadee guarding him you may as well have no one on him"
Anyone with half a clue about Basketball can see the defense Cadee played was tough as hell and Goulding uses a tough pick to just get off his shot.
The other commentator (Greer i think??) then says "mate that's a bit harsh etc etc"

Later in the game, Ware had Cadee one on one, Cadee plays great D and after 10 seconds of ISO forces Ware to hit a step back 22ft jumper from the corner with a hand in his face.

Homicide "See I told you Cadee, he may aswell not be there with that D"

Makes no sense.

I loved Homicide at the start, but now he is trying to hard and comes across way to fake.

Reply #661551 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you don't get his top 5 or see the point in it, but you take the time to talk about it online then you are being worked to perfection.
Nobody's talking about his top five, they're talking about how awful he is.

Koberulz is the ultimate mark.
I've said repeatedly that he's trolling, playing a character, and in 'pro wrestling heel' mode. His defenders insist he 'keeps it real', 'tells it like it is', and 'says what he really thinks'. Who's the mark?

Reply #661559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you are being a mark by complaining about it.

If you know he's trolling, playing a character, then why do you keep complaining?

You are doing nothing but stating the obvious.

Reply #661560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one thing more painful than Homicide's act is the people here who call him Homocide. Are those people
A) morons
B) homophobes
C) completely devoid of wit
D) all of the above

Which of A, B, C & D are Channel 7 Townsville?:

https://i.imgur.com/eWVup5W.jpg

Reply #661564 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you know he's trolling, playing a character, then why do you keep complaining?
Because I don't want his character on my television. It's not that complicated.

Heel heat is not the same as X-Pac heat.

Reply #661565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, you are being worked.

Heat is heat.

Reply #661569 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I swear to god I am sick of the Homicide hate.

The reason there is so much talk around the league this year is that of the controversial comments he makes. Even if they are sometimes a bit of tangent he is just so much fun. He opens up a conversation between people about the game love him or hate him, he has been great for the NBL as a player and as a commentator.

I mean this guy is an NY streetball legend. He is a former MVP of the NBL. Not many players better than him ever at taking the ball to the rack that has come here.

He needs way more respect from everyone on here. He is basically our Amin El Hassan for the NBL. Redhage and Corey Fly also Corey and Tommy Greer Fly.

The guys on the Long and Short podcast totally suck for calling him out publicly. Greg Vanderjagt is a nobody compared to Homicide. Once he has achieved what Corey has in his career he can talk crap.

Reply #661573 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, you are being worked.

Heat is heat.
Heel heat makes people tune in to see the heel get beat. X-Pac heat makes people change the channel.

Reply #661579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think foxsports really care what you think Kobe, the reviews are good and his banter is getting more people involved.
Put on your big boy pants and suck it up because he is here all year.

Reply #661580 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Reviews are good? What reviews? How is his banter getting more people involved? That's just rubbish.

The league is clearly pushing this "controversy sells" line through both social media and its Fox commentary. They're going to learn pretty quickly that it won't if it's contrived rubbish - which is what this is.

Just call the damn game, surely it's not that hard. Stop trying to "ask the questions no one else will" or "keep it real" or whatever the hell it is he's trying to do.

Reply #661581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what reviews? I think they mean the results of the twitter poll at the top of the page

Reply #661582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Homicides banter and comments bad?

We have a few annoyed Hoops posters and a few tweets.

The only reason it appears like there is a lot is because Homicide is doing a good job engaging with all the haters.

It's why his Dream Team sucks.

Reply #661586 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Let's start a love for homicide thread.

Reply #661593 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Love the guy. He knows his ball! He nearly made the NBA unlike all the haters here!

Reply #661599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the guy. He knows his ball! He nearly made the NBA unlike all the haters here!

How has his commentary demonstrated his understanding of the game? He has made many ridiculous statements that do nothing to edify the audience. Not that everything he says is wrong, but he certainly provides a lot of unsupportable positions. He certainly knows the game better than Russell.

Reply #661605 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He'll do until we can get Derek Rucker back.

Love Hammer and his calls, I think he does a terrific job and James Harvey doesn't get nearly enough games but those two are way above the other commentators.

I'm really getting to hate listening to Tommy Greer be all fanboy over United, I just hope that when we get another Melbourne side that his biased comments are a thing of the past... or balance out the commentators so you've got two biased commentators together.

I think that commentators with affiliations with a few teams like Hammer, Harvey and Trigger are better at delivering unbiased feeling calls than say Greer or Rosen or Redhage.

I'm just glad we don't have Maher or Sapwell commentating Adelaide games anymore, they were a nightmare to listen to

Reply #661614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno, are you a teenage girl?

Reply #661615 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I don't hear him often - thankfully - but when I do he is immensely annoying, mainly because he is obviously more interested in his meaningless 'top 5' rubbish than the game, which he frequently ignores to talk his tripe.

It's telling when his com-commentators just smile and shake their heads and don't respond.

I know this because the director [if that's the right title] who is controlling what we get to see, pulls the camera away from the game to show us just that.

Respect for the game, or the viewers, anyone?

I only see this on fta. If I was paying for it I'd be furious, while recognising that I am/would be powerless, other than to cancel my subscription.

Reply #661624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Homicide is the reason NBL crowd numbers are on the rise, more reason to attend the game and not watch on TV than ever before

Reply #661626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams is a cartoon character. Bottom line. And Justin Kestleman loves him - ergo, daddy decides that if his boy loves something, he's going to get it for him. Fundamentally, that's why he has a gig in the first place (actually Justin is the fundamental reason LK bought the NBL, but that's another story).

As a colour commentator in the traditional sense, Williams is absolutely horrible. Does zero research, doesn't analyse the game in any coherent fashion and is really just a mouthpiece for himself. If anything, he talks down the league and certain players way too much. Doesn't say much for your product when one of your callers is bagging it to the extent that he does.

But again, this is all about the NBL and their broadcast strategy. If nothing else, Williams does generate discourse - this thread a prime example. The league (i.e. the Kestelmans) believes that because so many are talking about Williams on social media and the like, that will translate to higher TV ratings, which ultimately (they hope) leads to an actual broadcast deal - that is, one where some actual money is flowing to the clubs rather than the unsustainability of LK paying for everything, which is the case right now. Time will tell whether they are right or not about that.

Reply #661627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homocide was brought here to stir things up, he speaks his mind, some things we can do without, but hey has people talking.

Just let it go, he's here for the long haul.

Reply #661669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont care what people think but keep with the wrestling comparisons love it. Ohhh yeah! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply #661708 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Give the guy his own show like KG's Area 21....bring in former players for opinion pieces....would be fun to watch.....in a lot of ways would prefer that to his commentating games but in his current roll he is certainly generating a lot of talk which can only be good.

Reply #661722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was that Tweet written by an illiterate donkey?

Use some full stops fam!

Reply #661729 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a period after every ellipsis.

A talk show, or interview show, or panel show, or really anything that gets him away from the games would be much better. Not only would the format suit him more, those who enjoy his work could seek him out while those who don't could ignore his existence completely without missing a minute of basketball.

Sadly, as others have pointed out the NBL is clearly behind him and pushing this under the impression it's a good thing. But is anyone tuning in because of Homicide? I don't think his sphere of influence reaches outside those who would tune in anyway. I also don't recall seeing anyone ever say anything good about his commentary that wasn't in response to criticism.

The Melbourne trio is absolutely terrible, and probably the biggest reason for their high attendances. Homicide doesn't have a clue and makes ridiculous and outrageous statements, Greer is thoroughly biased towards Melbourne, and Russell makes them both look pretty good by comparison.

Reply #661732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz, Homicide now on the NZ broadcasts too? The NBL is loving this guy.

Reply #661844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But again, this is all about the NBL and their broadcast strategy. If nothing else, Williams does generate discourse - this thread a prime example. The league (i.e. the Kestelmans) believes that because so many are talking about Williams on social media and the like, that will translate to higher TV ratings, which ultimately (they hope) leads to an actual broadcast deal - that is, one where some actual money is flowing to the clubs rather than the unsustainability of LK paying for everything, which is the case right now. Time will tell whether they are right or not about that.
"

I believe ratings are flat. So hopefully after this season they will release the Homicide strategy is not working and redeploy him in another capacity.

Reply #661845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Greer be biased towards United when he was a Tigers player and hates anything to do with United. Other than sucking up to the LKG group.

Reply #661855 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Was looking forward to watching today's game. Just sat down to do that and Williams was on. Guess I'll watch something else.

Reply #661857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey koberulz,

You could just watch it on mute

Reply #661859 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

I wasn't going to watch it but specifically recorded it when I heard Homicide was going to be on

Reply #661860 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I find it too hard to watch games on mute. Score and clock graphics tend to be more accurate coming out of NZ than anywhere else, but it's still difficult to follow at times.

In this particular case I also would have been watching while eating dinner, and muting makes it impossible to glance away from the screen at all, so that wasn't going to work.

Reply #661870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching it on mute sux if you are trying to hear the crowd and get a bit of the atmosphere

Reply #661873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for banter but I think his X's and O's knowledge of the game is limited.
Focuses all his time on a few individuals as if they are the sole focus of the game instead of what the teams as a whole are doing. Which makes sense given his streetball background. Commentates the way he played - a lot of emotion and passion but perhaps not the most intelligent.

Reply #663138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fantasy stuff is for the die hard fans and the casual observer has no interest in that crap. Please drop that part of the broadcast. Homicide talking about x's and O's is laughable. He was a great individual play and never would have listened nor even understood a coaches time outs.

Reply #663145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I find it too hard to watch games on mute. Score and clock graphics tend to be more accurate coming out of NZ than anywhere else, but it's still difficult to follow at times."

Think about it, when we watch games live at the stadium no one needs commentary or mic'ed up refs. It is not that difficult to figure out what is going on.

Reply #663148 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, but you have the crowd, the PA announcer, the scoreboard, and the ability to look wherever you want to. TV's issues with incorrect score graphics and not bothering to point the camera at the game while it's going on are bad enough without exacerbating that by removing any other means of understanding what's going on.

Reply #663167 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you'd told me a year ago that there was anything that could make me stop following the NBL I'd have laughed at you. And yet here I am, barely watching any games anymore.

This is the NBL's marketing strategy.

Reply #663429 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I just don't get it.
It's one thing to have somebody who is outrageously opinionated and creates conversation, but this guy is just plain clueless.
Sometimes he manages to create a bit of controversy, almost by accident, but its only because his opinions are nonsense.
Somebody who gets things so completely wrong isn't controversial, just an annoying idiot.

Reply #663475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No, but you have the crowd, the PA announcer, the scoreboard, and the ability to look wherever you want to."

Come on, let's be real now. These factors don't have a material influence on letting you know what's going on during the game.

I don't really remember watching a game in the stadium and waiting to hear if the crowd cheered or booed to know if a foul was called.

Generally you can tell if a foul is called on someone because the play will stop and the other team will either take it from out of bounds or be shooting free throws.

If there is confusion about who a foul is on, you could always have the play-by-play up from the NBL website.

Reply #663763 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Haha, what? Since when does the scoreboard not give you an indication of what is going on in the game when its sole purpose it to tell you what the score is??

Kobe is right, it's hard to follow a game on TV with the sound on mute. A commentator's role SHOULD be to give you the information you need to properly follow what's happening not just play by play but overall. A lot of the time with Homicide (and other NBL announcers to be fair) that just doesn't happen.

Reply #663764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobelulz, we get it, you don't like him, but get over yourself he is an entertainer and that's what they are paying him to do. Why is everything always about you anyway?

Reply #663765 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

They're actually paying him to commentate. He's not a circus clown, although he acts like it.

I agree 100% with kobe on this and so do a lot of people - the coverage would be a lot better without Homicide.

Reply #663766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide gets people talking, you either hate him, love him or a bit both but overall he's been good for media coverage. In the NFL they used to have a saying, "there is no such thing as bad press" times have changed but homicide is creating publicly. Yes at times I also wish we would get information from the commentary, certainly when fouls are called but overall the NBL is heading in the right direction.

Reply #663768 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What publicity is Homicide creating? Is anyone aware of him that wasn't watching the games already? My viewing has halved because of him.

They're actually paying him to commentate.
They're not, though. They're well aware of, and endorsing, what he's doing.

Reply #663769 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Sorry, you're correct. I should have said they should be paying him to commentate.

Homicide isn't creating one iota of publicity for the NBL. Zilch. There wouldn't be a single person outside of basketball circles who would even know who he is.

Reply #663770 | Report this post

Kobe Ruiz needs to retire like Kobe. Find something else to complain about champ

Reply #663771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe has every right to complain over and over and over and over and over about the same thing if he wants. My visiting this board has halved because of it but so be it. Perhaps I should start endless threads about that but it is not my style.

Reply #663772 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely Casey Frank is worse than Williams...

Reply #663774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What publicity is Homicide creating? Is anyone aware of him that wasn't watching the games already? My viewing has halved because of him."

Agree. I don't think he is building any mainstream interest at all. But he is creating Twitter activity about the NBL and that helps their stats.

Reply #663790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Haha, what? Since when does the scoreboard not give you an indication of what is going on in the game when its sole purpose it to tell you what the score is??"

You can still see the scoreboard without the commentary. And even if you had it on, it's not like they read out the score regularly.

"Kobe is right, it's hard to follow a game on TV with the sound on mute."

For those new to the game I would say yes. But experienced watchers can figure out what is going on without the commentary. To be honest the commentary adds little value most of the time.

"A commentator's role SHOULD be to give you the information you need to properly follow what's happening not just play by play but overall. A lot of the time with Homicide (and other NBL announcers to be fair) that just doesn't happen."

Again, there are thousands of people inside the stadium who manage to follow the game without commentary.

And, if the NBL commentators do such a poor job (which I don't necessarily disagree with, with the exception of a couple of good commentators), then it really shouldn't make a difference if you had it on mute.

Reply #663792 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"I TOLD YOU [Randle would eventually make some plays]! I TOLD YOU!"

No shit Corey.

Reply #664698 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

He really does need to give up the "I TOLD YOU!" rants. He's a commentator, its his job to tell us (despite it being blatently obvious). Just dont be an obnoxious dick about it. Sounds very unprofessional.

Reply #664704 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think I'm starting to understand the way Homicide makes you folks feel now - I'm guessing it's how I feel when I read the same posts about him in every game thread that he commentates on.

I mean, I get it, I really do - I don't hate him, and I completely understand why other folks don't like him, but I'm just sick of reading about it here to be honest. He's doing what the league wants him to do, so I'd suggest emailing the league about it rather than venting here.

Reply #664706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He really is a mediocre broadcaster. Yet NBL seems to be expanding his presence rather than confining it to places like Twitter where it suits him better.

Reply #664708 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He works at least two games every week, whereas other commentators stick to specific venues for the most part. Even when he's not there he gets talked about. The TV product revolves around him.

The NBL are completely convinced this is a good thing, somehow.

Reply #664710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is great at baiting the commentators and also some viewers

Reply #664712 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Agree AngusH, yes there is a lot of hate towards him, and I agree that its pointless venting on here about him after every game. But I also agree with Koberulz in that he seems to get a lot of games in all venues now. Most other commentators stay in their own regions or don't get as many games. So in all fairness, viewers have every right to call him out all the time given the amount of games he calls. His influence on the product is dominating.

I understand his role with the NBL as the leagues professional antagoniser and the league seems to love what he does, but his target demographic is certainly not me, and I'd predict that I'm in the age group where there would be the most fans watching on TV.

Reply #664715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide is getting paid by the NBL to "promote the NBL" Like him or not who really cares.
He's doing his job. Far better than many others in the past.
If people are talking about him then that's exactly what the NBL want.

Reply #664718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, the NBL wants people talking about the subjects he brings up, like his Top 5 lists. The NBL should not and does not want people to be talking about how bad he is at calling the games.

Reply #664721 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ Most people seem to be complaining about him though. And I haven't really noticed him promote the NBL outside of NBL broadcasts so its not like non followers of the NBL even knows about him.

Reply #664724 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Without even meaning to I've seen Homicide on various random "sports panel" type shows talking about the NBL. Again, not saying it's a good move by the NBL, but he's definitely out there talking about the league outside of just the game broadcasts.

Reply #664728 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whichis what he sshould be doing. Give him a panel show, put him on other panel shows. Keep him off commentary.

Reply #664731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Most people seem to be complaining about him though"

the poll at the top of this page begs to differ

Reply #664732 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The people who complain about him are ppl on this forum who are bball diehards who will watch no matter who commentates, so that's not really the NBLs concern.

The general sports fans who listen to him on regular radio segments and doing promos like that he's different, and to them he represents the typical "American Basketballer" who's there praising the NBL, that's what's important, the casual new fans and parents.

Reply #664735 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Homicide knows how to play his role. He's getting people fired up all over the place. I like his style

Reply #664737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've noticed there has been more "awkward silence" moments from his fellow commentators after some of the silly stuff he says these days. I think his act is starting to tire and hopefully he won't be broadcasting games any more next season after the NBL review's it's TV performance this season.

Reply #664743 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

He'd definitely be much better on a panel show - be it NBL or sports show panel. He's fine there and he can be as moronic and controversial as much as he wants. To be honest, I've never seen him on any panel, but if he has been promoting the NBL in that setting, then that's good.

The complaints I've seen are mostly on Facebook, but there's plenty here too. And even though you want to get new fans on board, I think pissing off current fans isn't a great idea either. Still, there are commentators that I rate worse, so its not all bad. I don't hate the guy.

From the NBL's point of view, I completely get what he's all about. It's fine. I just pretty much disagree with most of it.

Having said that though, at best he is at least entertaining and gets people talking. At worst, he's a complete idiot who states the obvious, does it in an obnoxious way, and discredits any team that he wants to see lose. Which is Perth most of the time.

Reply #664746 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If you watch him on the panel shows, or listen to him on Rucker's podcast (which is well worth a listen in any case), it's pretty clear he's playing a character in the commentary box.

His whole anti-Perth thing however is great IMO - especially when he's on with Redhage, which is probably why that's one of my favourite pairings in the commentary box, even though I don't rate either of them individually.

Reply #664757 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you watch him on the panel shows, or listen to him on Rucker's podcast (which is well worth a listen in any case), it's pretty clear he's playing a character in the commentary box.
This, to me, is precisely the problem.

I can tolerate the Dwayne Russels of the world because they're just bad. But the NBL is employing trolling as a promotional strategy and I want absolutely nothing to do with it.

Reply #664777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good don't watch and leave here.

Reply #664805 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kobe, ever thought that he just gets excited on game day? Walks into a stadium and gets that buzz?

Reply #664806 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think everything he does is pretty authentic

Reply #664807 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He's outright stated he's playing a character.

Reply #664977 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Where/when did he say that?

I remember reading a Q&A the Cairns Post did on him a couple weeks ago and he said he's just being himself

Reply #664982 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There was a news article earlier in the year.

Reply #664984 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Link?

Reply #664985 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Manu, now that he's retired Homicide is a player agent so it would be fair to assume given all the complexities of that profession that the guy is at the very least of average intelligence if not above average behind the scenes.

It's as clear as day he's playing a character akin to WWE wrestlers. I can tolerate him a bit more than Koberulz can but like him think it's a bit insulting turning pro basketball games into silly sports theatre guff like wrestling.

Clearly it's a directive from LK for Homicide to 'juice up' the coverage in the hope that the controversy he may generate will draw more fans to the game even at the expense of existing NBL fans.

LK isn't involved in the NBL for the fun of pissing away millions of dollars it's with the intent to grow the league into something much bigger that would perhaps one day see a return on his investment.

Reply #664987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Consultants would've advised LK and co. to have a character on the commentary team. Yawn.

Reply #664988 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Zodiac, I quickly learned that while someone may be a full-time Professional, it doesn't inherently mean they have a brain. But I get your point.

I look at the way he was when playing here and don't see much of a difference to how he acts now.

He probably says a few too many "I'm telling you"s. I dunno. I'll pay more attention to him next week

Reply #664990 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was playing a character back then, too. The difference is a player being that character is a good thing.

Reply #664991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes we all know that Yet you KB dont like it. Hence the topic.

Reply #664992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huh?

Reply #664993 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When recently they flew Homicide over to do a game in NZ his persona during that broadcast was toned down so much to the point of almost forgetting he was there in the commentary box.

It was night & day compared to the games here where he carries on like a pork chop.

Reply #664994 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

How do we know though, has he said all this? Was there some kind of interview about him?

Genuinely interested, so if KB/anyone can link me some material they've come across that'd be great.

Whether it's genuine or not, it's entertaining

Reply #664996 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He had moments, Zodiac. That was the game where he had words with Shorter. Where the Shorter beef kind of started

Reply #664997 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But he was mixing with a whole new group of colleagues, so he would naturally be more timid and less talkative. I do distinctly remember he was more quiet than usual but from memory picked up the hype level as the game went on

Reply #664998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His co-commentators appreciate that he's always got something to say, but they also shake their heads at some of the stupid shit he says.

Reply #664999 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Homicide joined Shane Heal on The Ruckus (Derek Rucker's, excellent IMO) Podcast this week, for a 90 minute NBL discussion. I thought he was good value, too.

The Ruckus Podcast Ep 16 - Shane Heal & Corey 'Homicide' Williams

Reply #665587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal would of been boring though.

Reply #665593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck me, we're 2mins in and we already have two 'I TOLD YOU SO' comments.

Reply #665762 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Homicide's first two reactions to last night's brawl: "this is the greatest thing ever!" and "how can I make this about me?"

The entire atmosphere of the call was horribly inappropriate, and I'm sure would've been significantly better had Homicide not been a part of it.

Reply #670345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is improving and overall is good for the telecasts and the league

Reply #670346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754