Anonymous
Years ago

Torrey Craig in starting 5 for Denver

Today vs the Pelicans.

Well done, TC!

Topic #42381 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah just saw that, happy for him. Although I can't help thinking he'll definitely be NBL clubs go-to opening line when soliciting new imports... "Say... have you heard of Torrey?"...

Reply #661911 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Isn't this the guy who wasn’t even good enough to start ahead of Stephen Weigh?

Reply #661914 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Finished with 6 points, 4 reb and 2 assists in overtime win

Reply #661929 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

And a key block to send it into overtime

Reply #661931 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

30mins, 14pts, 5-5 FGs, 3-3 on three-pointers in a 1 point loss to the Thunder.

I didn't watch the game, but that's a really solid statline. Good on him.

Reply #662256 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I did start a Torrey Craig thread a little while back but obviously he wasn't cool enough to talk about until now

Reply #662260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow he really belongs hey?

Reply #662269 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Such a great story. Stoked for the guy.

Reply #662273 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

busted his ass to get where he is, deserves every minute of his success.

Reply #662277 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If he busted his ass, why didn't Fearney give him much of a licence to make mistakes and learn without being dragged?

Reply #662281 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Manu - first year pro in a team that topped the ladder and made the GF? Or second year where he started half the games, increase minutes played and improved his avgs across the board?

He didn't wake up NBA quality, he worked hard to be NBA quality.

Reply #662289 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

And can't we just appreciate what he’s doing free of reprosecuting the past?

Reply #662290 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No need to get defensive, was just asking the question. I've given props to both Fearne and Craig this season, even made a thread about it so clearly I appreciate. Fearne has grown as a coach since then. It's a valid point considering his defensive ability and the lack of court time he was given even in defence-specific plays.

But yeah, he's a marvel to develop so much so quickly, can't deny.

Reply #662295 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Haha I didn't mean to come across defensive, that’s just a side effect of the newborn that had me awake at 3am;)

was just making the point he wasn’t this good straight out of college, and especially in his first season here, Weigh was a more versatile and consistent defender who knew the offence. It’s like Joey starting Teys instead of Sobey, coaches have their favourites and sometimes being the better athlete/baller doesn’t make you automatically the best fit. I always thought Torrey could have played more, but hey we finished top of the ladder and made the finals - if it wasn’t broke etc

So many things need to go right to get into the NBA, and so many people with as much if not more talent miss their window. It’s awesome that he’s taken his by the balls.

Now this might be a scorching hot take, but I reckon Buford is similar and better than Craig (certainly in an NBL setting) I wonder if he’ll be the next Bullet to get a call up?

Reply #662298 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah fair enough about Weigh knowing the offence, but in late-game situations where man-on-man coverage was needed, it should've been Torrey.

Anyway, Buford is a tough one. He has a midrange game which is inefficient and his handle isn't good enough, like Craig's is now. Craig was a 100:1 shot coming out of college. He's a late bloomer. What are the odds that Brisbane have 2 in a row? Dunno. I reckon Buford is one of those guys who is destined to dominate international leagues throughout his career and never quite crack an NBA roster

Reply #662301 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Yeah he's still got work to do, he just seems a bit more complete and composed as a first year than Torrey did.

I guess if he does get the NBA call up the Bullets will just follow the pattern and sign Carrera ;)

Reply #662302 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Buford isn't a first year import he was playing in Italy last season. He's done very well though to go from playing in Italy's Div 2 league to playing summer league with the Celtics to being one of the best imports in the NBL this season.

I'm pretty high on him too Kingpodge wouldn't be surprised to see him in the NBA in a year or two.

Reply #662311 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Ahhhhh that's right, appreciate the fact check Zodiac :)

Reply #662318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.
At almost 28, and after 3+ years as a professional he has finally made NBA grade.
So that must mean that 3 years ago, straight out of college, he was also NBA grade and Fearne should have played him more.
Gees, how dumb are all those NBA teams that failed to draft him straight out of college??

Reply #662369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754