Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings - Post Game Celebration

Was told the Kings celebrated in the locker room after their win against Cairns as if they won the Grand Final.

Is this true? Did anyone see celebrations?

Topic #42390 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

It's on the Kings social media pages. Randle wasn't having a bar of it, which is a good reaction. I don't mind them doing it, but it's not something they should share on social media given how bad they've been.

Reply #662154 | Report this post

SM  
Years ago

It's on the King's instagram. Randle looks very unimpressed, makes it a little cringe to watch.

AFL players sing their song after a win, regardless of their ladder position. I have no problem with it, enjoy the moment, even if it's just 5 minutes after the game. Randle could have lightened up a bit, but it's no biggie.

Reply #662159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams sing their team song after a w. Winning that game would be like winning a GF. Randle lighten up.

Reply #662160 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think Randle's just uncomfortable with the singing and carrying on but he made a point of being part of the circle. No sign of Tyler, either he's sooking or stood well away from the group.

Interestingly Tom Wilson is in there wearing a Kings polo. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have him in the roster if he wants to play NBL after Serbia.

Reply #662161 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

They shouldn't do it. Its a tradition in football but its not normal for basketball. And with the season they have had "the kings are having a party" just sounds insulting to their fans who have put up with another terrible season of massive underacheivment.

Reply #662166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were doing it last year after every win too. Josh Powell was always putting it on Instagram but yes very cringeworthy

Reply #662167 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

At least they don't have to do it very much...

Reply #662169 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Good on them, love the emotions of the team's, especially when the team is struggling.

Reply #662174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Good on 'em. Glad it meant something to them. Can only imagine how tough that bad patch has been.
Putting it on social media though? ... yeah, there's good & bad aspects to that.

Reply #662178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having a shit season, big comeback after first few minutes looked like a massive loss, coach under fire, just beat a top four team. Let them celebrate and enjoy, maybe the enthusiasm can keep rolling and they play respectable for second half of season. Not a Sydney fan but give them a break.

Reply #662179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree it's cringeworthy and it's not basketball. Even with the AFL team songs, they are serious, historical songs. Not some made up party tune by Cadee.

Reply #662188 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Citation on Cadee making up the Kings song?

Even if he did...every team song ever made was made up by someone. And the Kings aren't the only team to have one, the others just don't put them out on social media every week.

Reply #662189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are AFL songs serious or historical? A couple of those teams have been around for what like 5 years?

Reply #662190 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"every team song ever made was made up by someone"

Yeah, no kidding.

Reply #662191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haz said "They shouldn't do it. Its a tradition in football but its not normal for basketball."

Dunno what basketball team you are around but everytime we get a W we sing the club song.
Equally everytime we lose we hear the oppo sing their song too.

Reply #662192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something very Australian about a bunch of sweaty guys, arm in arm signing songs together.

Reply #662193 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Sydney celebrated like they won a title.

Gaze and co gone at seasons end, JVG not far behind him.

The owners are bleeding cash with Kings losing money hand over fist at the moment.

Reply #662200 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

While I agree that the Kings social media team needs to get that it's cringeworthy to everyone else, I think we need to cut them some slack, after a shit season so far, they managed to come back from that much down early on for a comprehensive win... I'd be pretty stoked as well...

Reply #662202 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Basketball teams do have club songs, but do the players actually sing it in the change rooms after a game? Genuine questiion as I dont know, but I would not have thought so.

The Wilcats have a theme song - a pretty good one too - which gets played at the arena after a win, but they dont play opposition team songs if they win in Perth. So, not sure what the anon poster is referring to there. Is there another club that does that? Is it NBL or a state or amatuer league? My stance is that its not normal in basketball, so can this be proven wrong?

Finally, the Kings song itself - is it actually their theme song or just something fun that they made up last year? The 'Kings are having a party' doesnt strike me as a club song, but each to their own I guess.

Reply #662205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most teams have a war-cry song they sing after wins in the locker rooms.

While I'm all for access and in-sight I think these sort of things should remain sacred. Kinda like the rookie hazing and team rule punishments.

Nothing wrong with the Kings win song, what's wrong is the social media coverage of it. They so last year's video get lots of likes so now they are thrashing it.

Reply #662215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haz, I think there'd be a club song in some cases, played to the fans over the speakers. Then, a separate song in the locker room. Not sure if all teams have one. The ones I've heard of have been pretty irreverent and even inappropriate - just something to yell.

Let them sing - they probably need any small victory they can get so far this season.

Reply #662228 | Report this post

It's always a bit embarrassing when you have so few wins that you have to have the lyrics of your song printed out on the floor.

Reply #662230 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Ok fair point. I guess its the social media coverage of the Kings song that makes it a bit cringeworthy or unusual (probably should be kept out of the public eye) But i accept the reasoning behind it as a sporting culture even in basketball.

Reply #662231 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Do it in private. It should be just for the team

Reply #662235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have a team song (not the anthem played after wins). Pretty sure it's not PG rated either.

Reply #662237 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

It's always a bit embarrassing when you have so few wins that you have to have the lyrics of your song printed out on the floor.

When the Kings were on that horror losing streak under Moose, they actually made t-shirts when they broke the drought... sigh...

Reply #662248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give them a break. They played a good game and won after so many losses. Let them enjoy their moment.

Reply #662251 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Team songs....kindergarten stuff filled with every cliché know to man. Cringe worthy when ever I see footballers singing after a game.

At least when the Aussie cricketers belt out Khe Sahn after a win the give the impression they have passed puberty.

Reply #662252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Kindergarten stuff. Wow.

Reply #662258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khe San. Seriously you don't know what the Aussie Ashes winning teams sings at all.
Try this.
"Under the Southern Cross I stand
A sprig of wattle in my hand,
A native of my native land,
Australia, you f***ing beauty!"

Reply #662271 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

I don't see a problem with celebratuing a win no matter when it comes.

After the season the Kings have had thus far ... a win like that would be the world off their shoulders.... so elation is just as strong an emotion as frustration or sadness after losing.

Reply #662326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be mindful of your emotions Southern Joe, they betray you.

Reply #662328 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gotta love how people always some out with the old "AFL does it, but its not basketball..."
WTF does that even mean?
You're suggesting we should just ape everything American?

On the subject of the Kings, I'd be happy to see them excited over a win, at least it demonstrates that it means something to them.

Reply #662351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very poor stuff. The song is a shite concoction of 10 other songs.

Randle stands there drinking water and not giving an F

Reply #662694 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did they celebrate with song another loss on thursday. ha ha ha

Reply #662700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:53 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754