Jack Toft
Years ago

Kings vs Breakers, Dec 21

This round gets kicked off with a VERY interesting game.

Kings are cock a hoop after a big win. Prather dislocated an elbow and judging by the post win celebrations, there's a few Kings players who were lucky they didn't dislocate another appendage.

Breakers, Breakers, Breakers. A few games ago you were top of the world and looked like the minor premier flag would be flying high in Auckland. You're still in second spot, but when the Kings are confident of getting a win against you, you know you've slipped.

You would have to say the Kings ARE confident and on their home court they would be looking at giving every Breakers player a lump of coal as their Christmas present. But.... there just seems to be something lacking at the Kings, just like the English cricket team.

I'm thinking if the Kings can get first blood to keep their confidence and if Cadee plays a Captain's game, they might just get this one too. Of course that all assumes they just call their own subs, do their own plays, call their own timeouts and let their coach just stroll along the sidelines for the TV cameras.

Then again, our cousins across the dutch just love to beat us convicts.

(Heart) Breakers to win by 1

Topic #42392 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

Key matchups will determine this.
Newley (far more aggressive offensively now)/ Abercrombie and Penney.
Randle/ Sosa, Ili.
Tyler/ Pledge and Loe.
Ellis/ Vukona and Delaney
Cadee and Blanchfield / Newbill

Sosa and Ili have to contain Randle.
Ellis and Newbill could tip the scales.
Breakers will hang their hats on Abercrombie and Penney.

Reply #662263 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Phil Smyth! Phil Smyth! Phil Smyth!

Reply #662274 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If Sydney get the win the ladder after Perth is wide open.
Wouldn't be surprised if NZ add another import in the coming weeks.
Sydney by 4

Reply #662310 | Report this post

Bagman  
Years ago

Kings member here. They actually looked pretty committed on defence from the 2nd quarter onwards against the Taipans, and if that continues they should be competitive against any team in the league.

Hope this kicks off a winning run and they can get more than 4,000 punters to attend games at Qudos.....

Reply #662347 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll be at the game tomorrow, but I hope they continue to underachieve and the crowd figure continues to slide, because that's the only way I see a major shakeup occurring before next season. If we finish 2-3 games out of the semis then I completely expect JvG and co. back next season for another underwhelming season of underachieving with a poorly built and overpaid roster.

Reply #662349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I agree with you Angus h, I thought gaze coached very well last weekend and the way he handled Tyler was excellent, got good sub rotations. I've thought that Gazes good nature, personality and trust of jvg has been the problem. Get rid jvg and if Gaze performance is OK rest of season let him set up his own side for the final year of his contract.

Reply #662350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are rumors the Breakers are looking for a reliable scorer at the 3.

Reply #662352 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

No anon, just NO... Both JvG and Gaze need to go... Both have been serious problems and need fixing... I'm with AngusH, I'm an 18yr member and if I could have given my membership back this season I would have... I won't be renewing next season unless serious changes are made and I can't see them happening unless the rot on court continues...

No doubt the Kings will figure out some way to lose this one in front of a very underwhelming crowd...

Reply #662356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reported your post to the mods WookieE, the amount of truth is too overwhelming for my liking.

Reply #662372 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I wouldn't say he coached very well. He sure did change some things and its a small improvement over the usual garbage we saw. Smyth no doubt had an influence on those changes.

Growing a pair to bench Tyler, more pacing the sidelines yelling instructions, pulling players' jersey serving in-your-face mini dressing downs and more timely subs/timeouts.

These certainly helped but you shouldn't be under the illusion that its the main reason behind the big win. There were some very helpful home cooking by Mayberry that put the undermanned Snakes in foul trouble and they were in a scoring slump.

I agree with AngusH as well, far better for the debacle to worsen than put up with the bs they either naively or arrogantly served to the fans. I'd say a significant number of members agreed as well, the lackluster crowd numbers were inflated by promoted free tickets.

They will get a bit more patronage from new fans over the holidays but the moment they reach 14 losses, I'd hedge it won't help them much. I don't think it will change much next season, they'll probably try to woo the crowds back by spending even more money.

Reply #662397 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Forgot Childress.
Newley, Ellis, Childress are probably stronger offensively than Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona and Delaney.
Breakers will probably zone a bit, because Newbill is the only Breaker who can contain Childress off the dribble one on one.
It is a poor zone because we leave the Free Throw line so open. Sydney have Childress and Ellis who can get in there and create havoc, or kick out to shooters.
Randle will burn us with high pick and roll in man.
Foul trouble could hurt us real bad.
Sydney have the edge and their outside shooting will dictate how long we can stay in a zone. I don't think we can play Sydney man to man.

Reply #662398 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Childress plays for Adelaide Tom....

Reply #662401 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Time zone issues.

Sydney are2 year's behind the rest of us (maybe even 20 years if you’re looking at the Kings offence).

Reply #662412 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Breakers are just like the Kings last season... dominate the league early then nosedive.

Kings by 47.

Reply #662424 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Seriously? Heal going on and on about bonehead play by Ili.. Ok fair point, except you made no Mention of the fact it was a ridiculous call that was clean and Cadee threw his arms out to get the call

Reply #662425 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Great 3 off the backboard by Blanchfield

Reply #662426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is tom Wilson sitting on kings bench??

Reply #662427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd looking very small
Blanchfield been a bust
Kings doing ok

Reply #662428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting thing is Blanchfield has a +/- of +15, next highest for the Kings is Tyler and Ellis with +7

Reply #662429 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sosa having his best outing. On ball working for us. Penney holds the key for us.

Reply #662431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penny flop. Newly must be pissed!

Reply #662432 | Report this post

notsureyicame  
Years ago

hello, I'm a NBA fan.. not sure how I ended up on an Aussie gamethread, but hope it's a good game!

Reply #662434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is better?
Jason Cadee or Klay Thompson?

Reply #662435 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Blanchfield FTW!

Reply #662440 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Nek minnit....

Reply #662441 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Dribbling through traffic when you need to get a shot up in the last couple of seconds? NO!!!!

Reply #662442 | Report this post

Look  
Years ago

He was stripped as, bro

Reply #662443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis and Tyler poor defenders.

Reply #662444 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Blanchfield just bets his game-day pay against the Kings, and I'm only 25% joking. Just awful. Throws up contested jumpers early in the clock, had one of the worst steal attempts in the 1st half I've seen to leave a wide open shooter, etc... hell, the one good game he's had, he took himself out with concussion. The only positive plays tonight he had was when all he had to do was chuck it up at the basket and hope for the best.

Reply #662445 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is it a coincidence that every single big the Kings have had for the last 2 seasons has been awful defending the on ball, or is it coaching? Which is more likely?

Reply #662446 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel like the Kings have shown enough lately to make a playoff push

Reply #662448 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shocking final play by Blanchfield. Perhaps next time he'll pay more attention in time outs.

Reply #662450 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Fantastic effort on the road.
Loe game of season.
Penney found some much needed shooting touch.
Sosa most mature game I have seen from him.
Sydney execution down stretch hurt them. Where was Tyler's automatic J.
Huge psychological game for us.

Reply #662451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm pretty sure Blanchfield just bets his game-day pay against the Kings, and I'm only 25% joking. Just awful."

The Kings were +7 with Blanchfield on and -10 in 13mins he was off. No one else for them was in positives.

Reply #662456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this was another person coaching he would be fired by now. no finals for 2 years and you still keep your job. smh

Reply #662458 | Report this post

Damo  
Years ago

Another kings loss, another trash post from AngusH. Same old same old

Reply #662460 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Honestly, considering the minutes Blanchfield plays and with the unit he plays with, I don't care about +/-. He was awful tonight, regardless of the shot late in the 4th Q.

Reply #662461 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Thanks for your thoughts Damo!

Reply #662462 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Loving it in the press conference after the game someone from the media mentions Randle has just posted a whinge about the refs on social media they ask Cadee what he thinks about it and Gaze jumps in and says we want to be a class organisation that doesn't whinge about the refs and then Cadee answers by whinging about the refs!

Reply #662463 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Newley flop/foul was awful, but outside of that I don't think the refs did too much wrong tonight. Sydney got the benefit of the doubt on a few non-calls too. Definitely not the reason we picked up the L.

Reply #662464 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Surprisingly refs pretty fair doling out the crap calls both ways. Game was lost the usual way, poor coaching particularly in 3rd quarter. Back to head in hands, poor body language and no answer vs NZ's 2-3 zone, mind boggling with that many offensive weapons in your team.

Reply #662468 | Report this post

Randle unloading on the refs on twitter...

Reply #662469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where do you coach Angus H?
I for one criticise Gaze and JVG often but I never pass judgment on the technical stuff. Surely there must be more to it than singling out bigs and on ball screens for the last 2 seasons.
Kings win almost every stat in the game.
Far more to it than that criticism I am guessing.

Reply #662470 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hard showing on screens should have at least been tried out for a few possessions. Kings are athletic, they could scramble rotate okay I reckon. Why not simply instruct your team to try It, Gaze? Or if Tyler doesn't want to play, drag him. You showed in the Cairns game that you have enough sack to do it to Tyler. So it's hard to know who's fault it was

Reply #662471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Randle unloading on the refs on twitter..."

He's going to cop a decent fine for that. I didn't see the game so I can't comment on the reffing for it, but I don't mind a high profile player in the league having the balls to call out the refs publicly. They've been way too inconsistent the last few years and keep holding the league back while everything else improves. Hopefully a big name player speaking out about it might get the leagues attention instead of them just ignoring the fans who always complain about it.

Reply #662472 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

If you're going to focus on the +/-, note that everyone on the Breakers' bench was positive (more positive than Blanchfield) and no-one on the Sydney bench was in positive. i.e., NZ bench was a lot better than Sydney bench. That's probably got a lot to do with Sydney being -13 when Blanchfield was off.

Reply #662473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ bench almost out scored NZ starters! Great depth!

Reply #662474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got a warning in a basketball game for saying "that's a terrible decision ref".
Ref said to the coach tell him to "zip it".
Coach said very quickly "what if he was right?"

Reply #662475 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I feel like the Kings have shown enough lately to make a playoff push

Not sure if serious or taking the piss? I really can't tell in this place anymore...

Nice contribution from Damo there... I reckon Angus has been pretty spot on (even if he doesn't coach anywhere, Anon, that argument is pissweak and you know it) and rather well mannered, but I suspect that it's a case of just being used to winning and yet another long time fan just really giving up...

I wasn't at the game, but it looked pretty pathetic size-wise... Official number was 4600+ on the boxscore but fuck that, no way...

Randle has obviously done his hero twitter move of deleting his tweets... any particulars or screengrabs floating around? I fell asleep for most of the second half but before then I didn't think it was the refs worst performance...

I think this game in particular is an example of why you can't just look at +/- and go "this person is awesome" as Blanchfield was fucking useless last night... early forced shots, spotty D (but not the worst, seriously Ellis, does your brain just fucking turn off at that end?) and really a waste of a roster spot and no doubt money as well... When I think that they neglected chasing Moller as hard as they could have because they had Blanchfield as an option, it makes me sick to my stomach...

Reply #662498 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Cool story bro

Reply #662499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hammer commentating like a coach in waiting!!

I heard Gaze gets $600 K a year. He would like that cash (who wouldn't) & would do a much better job!!!

Reply #662506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez. If Gaze is getting $600k a year he should be charged with fraud immediately. For $600K a year you would Goorj back immediately.

Reply #662508 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I'd rather go with a more budget team with the proper types of players and shell out more money for Gorj, than pay so much over the cap on players and a coach that can't actually coach...

Reply #662510 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Refs weren't that bad last night. Calls went both ways.

Reply #662511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I distinctly remember when Gaze was commentating on a Kings game just before he became there coach ( i think it was that temporary American coach in charge).

I remember Gaze harping on about the next season how there D has to improve as it was a mess.

LOL, it has become worse under him.

The defense gave up another 90+ points last night.
Worst D in the NBL by a mile. They have no clue what defense is.

Reply #662512 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I personally think they have too many stars and not enough role players

Look at Perth usually have 2 or 3 main star scorers, and the rest of the players do the dirty work, play de, rebound, hustle after everything, and i think the kings need to focus more on getting those types than the stars who score like Randle, Tyler, Blanchfield

For anyone who says none of those types were available to the kings, well Lucas Walker was available balsically all last season, over the past 2 or 3 years the kings have let go guys like Rhys Carter, Moller, Brandt, Maric, keeping any combination of these guys would help.

I thought Heal was on the right track in 2014 with Jesse Sanders who he bought in to fill the Damian Martin role, and imo did a pretty good job of it. You also could sign a guy like him from day 1 of the pre season, not mid season once the season is already dead. Kings were looking pretty good until they replaced Sanders with the star in Sam Young, further showing how flawed the bringing in a star mid season plan is. Yes it can work, but has only really worked in a handfull of cases, and guys like Donta Smith and Marcus Timmons were guys who did play de, rebound, make the team around them better and do the dirty work, whilst also being top quality imports. That doesnt suit Tyler and Randle as much imo.

I also would of grabbed a guy like Nana Egwu instead of Tyler, again available for the whole season, and play de, works hard, rebounds.

Also both these imports are not looking to score and be the stars themself and appear to be good for team culture.

This team may not be as star studded, but im pretty sure they would win more and have a better culture base to build upon for the future.

Brandt/Egwu
Ellis/Walker
Newley/Moller
Lisch/Cadee
Sanders/Carter

And they also need a more experienced/proven coach, Gaze at the very least needed a longer apprenticeship than a SEABL season as a coach to be successful, the kings need a guy who has either coached in the NBL before, or been an assistant in a successful program for around 5 years or more, ie more proven. One name id like to see given a go is Shawn Dennis, at worse Shane Heal was better than Gaze and seemed to understand these things more, so he should be the worse case scenario if no one better is available.

This team as constructed if coached by a more experienced coach like Bevo or Joey would also likely have more wins.

I think some serious questions need to be asked about the person who selected the coach and has openly said they put together this roster and last seasons, and came up with 'the plan' that killed the season before it began and was obvious to 99% of kings/NBL fans, and was defended by very few.

Reply #662522 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Another Kings game, another video coaching session with my son on rebounding, close out and effort.

In the 3rd quarter Cadee closed out twice with his hands down ......I would of benched him if he was on my domestic team.

Tyler played well off that pick and mid range jumper ....the Kings then went absolutely away from it (and I'm not sure if related) Tyler had a giant sook. 3 plays in a row he stood at the top of the key as an interchange and then just stood there as a shot went up ...no dive to the basket, no step forward in case the rebound went to the free throw line ...hell no even get back to stop the break.

I have no idea what Todd B is doing and nor does he and some of the subs were simply perplexing.

They are a very poorly coached team.

Reply #662523 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Not a fan of star & roleplayer argument often used when ridiculing star-studded teams in any team sport. Most competent coaches will always opt for a team full of star players if they can afford it and as long as the stars are not uncoachable dickheads.

The Kings' players look to all be coachable, nice guys except for maybe Tyler. Even then he's borderline acceptable. If you look closer, a lot of the times he was dragging his feet were mainly due to poor conditioning. The other times he was busy arguing with refs.

The main problem last night was coaching. We've banged on about how crap the shuffle was last season, what did Gaze pull out during critical stretches last night? You guessed it...

With that many guys able to score in different ways, what did Gaze run to break the 2-3? He had so many options and didn't run a proper counter at all. What about 1-3-1 with Newls at the FT? What about overloading one side with Tyler roaming baseline? Any U16s coach would've run one to kill that zone in a heartbeat.

I don't know what it is, but the appearance is that he didn't drill these guys at all. The adjustments game-to-game should've been taken care of in pre-season not now. It should be embarrassing for an NBL coach yelling 'HANDS! HANDS!' at this level.

Reply #662527 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Blanchfield is a star who scores. When did that happen?

Reply #662533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't blame Gaze for Moller not being there, he wanted him, that's all in the jvg camp, not certain where he'd play with the recruitment of Blanchfield.

Reply #662535 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

People talk about Moller like he's the next Sam Mckinnon, OK he has upside but so far I have not even close to enough to suggest he will be anymore than a 10 min a game role player.

He certainly would not have impacted the Kings W / L record. It is debatable whether good Moller is better than a bad Blanchfield.

Reply #662538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would've been nice to show some loyalty to a local and at a guess Moller probably is on a third of Blanchfield feel salary. The members I know we're all dissapointed he went and so to was Gaze.

Reply #662539 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agree Lovebroker people on here talk like Moller is the second coming. He has no bearing on anything Kings or United related but I think the reasoning might be because signing Blanchfield basically made him expendable and Todd just like at Melb before has been a big disappointment.

One of the biggest blunders they made before the season was promising him a starting spot when they already had Newley.

Reply #662543 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cadee might have had a whinge about the refs, but it doesn't mean he was wrong.

The refs straight up can't get the flop/charge call right - to the point no one knows what is or isn't a flop any more. Change the rule, it's not working.

Reply #662546 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

To me its not so much role players v stars, its the need for guys who play de and rebound and hustle at say an avaerage or better level.

Id say very few of the kings players rebound, play de, hustle at an above average level for there position and thats the bigger problem imo. Probably Lisch (when healthy) and Newley and thats about it.

When compared to Perth over the years, and basically anyone who has played in a GF, most of the players would do those things at atleast an avergae or above average level.

No one is saying Moller is more talented than blanchfield or a star, but he does play with energy, hustles, etc which is something the kings lack. If he is doing those things for 10 mins a game, thats 10 mins a game more than Blanchfield. Also when you already have Lisch, Newley, Cadee at the sg/sf positions, you dont need Blanchfield who is going to want to play big mins and take shots, you are often better in terms of gelling as a team having the guy like Moller to play his role.

Re imports, its not really about stars v role players again either, its the fact is with most imports you are not going to get a high level offensive player, who is also at the very least an average defender, rebounder, hustler. You usually get scorers who are poor defenders, or better defenders who dont score aswell. Given the kings situation, the need was more in defense and rim protection, given for a fair chunk of what ive seen of Tyler he has not provided much of this, and his scoring isnt really helping the team win either, so id argue they would be better off with a Egwu/Jacobesen type who do help with the things the kings were lacking. Very similar with Randle.

When you have a coach like gaze, who isnt great, especially on defense, you need some players who doe these things naturally to help the team and balance out that weakness too, and thats part of why those guys are so important.

Also one thing the kings have is a lack of continuity and culture, i think one issue with that is large amount of player turnover, even if the team isnt perfect it helps for team continuity and chemistry if you retain atleast 6 or 7 of your players from a previous season, and even start the season with an import with some NBL experience, even if they are not a star also. If they had something closer to what i suggested, they would have had around 7 guys on the team that had played for the kings before prior to this season, and many of them are average or above average defenders, so both factors would help the team.

Reply #662554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754