Curious
Years ago

2004/05 Who the strong junior teams next year?

Curious to see what people think will be the strong age groups next season from the various clubs. eg. Under 18 Girls North and Forestville? Under 18 Boys Tigers and North?

Topic #424 | Report this topic

nall  
Years ago

under 18 div 1 boys norwood will be a very strong team.

Reply #3157 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

'nall' - if one knows the squad and the players, one may assume that 7 of that team will be bottom-age - wait till the end of Summer to see how much they've improved.

I'm guessing Woodville U18 1s and Sturt U16 1s will be pretty impressive.

Reply #3169 | Report this post

Rudiger  
Years ago

Sturt will not be the force they have been in recent years with that group! Isn't the big fella going to the AIS!

Woodville, Forestville, & West will be the pace setters in 18's next season. With North & Southern pushing

Reply #3187 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

phil brown would have to have an amazing year for the tigers 18's to be a threat.

Reply #3202 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Rudiger - read, 16s

Reply #3207 | Report this post

coach B  
Years ago

Noarlunga 18 have picked up South's best player from 2 years ago and have recently picked up the vic country under 16 boys captain from this year. They will do quite well next year. North under 16 boys will be strong, this year they have 3 first year guards in their div 1's who have all coped well. Plus a strong div 2 team. other then them, the 16's could be close sturt have some good players, norwood have some reasonable athletes to compliment their point guard, and anyhting is possible at forestville with arnie coaching them. Should be good to see how the norwood boys go in the 18's? Hope they do really well

Reply #3212 | Report this post

snodog  
Years ago

Curious - a few of North's Under 18 Girls side are moving on, or so they say, or is it just that time of the year. I reckon the Com will be even this season. A big shake up with a few upsets. The clubs that have just be plodding along will start to shine. Watch out you rockets.

Reply #3232 | Report this post

nall  
Years ago

libertine i know that most of them will be "bottom age" but it does not take it away form the fact that they will be a strong team.

Reply #3236 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

The U/18 Boys Competiton next year will be very even. I agree with Coach b that Southern will be better for the recuits they have picked up, along with West, Woodville (4 bottom ages returning next year) and Sturt (7 bottom ages this year, although Dodman is going to the AIS which will affect them). Forrestville, North and Norwood will also be very competitive. This is great news for whomever coaches the state team next year. The past 3 -4 years have seen a very even competition in that age group which has reflected in some great results from the U/18 SA Metro boys at Nationals.

Reply #3254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Nall' - I'll use the example of the similarly dominant Sturt U18 team from this year, a majority of bottom-age players, when they were in U16s last year. It's not a big a step as 14s/16s, but nevertheless their results in Summer should determine how well they'll go in the longer season.

Reply #3262 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

^ That was me ^ forgot I was at uni, had to type in my details.

Reply #3263 | Report this post

nall  
Years ago

i get it. but i still think that team will do well

Reply #3268 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Precisely my point Jirachi, we'll see how much they've improved when they take on every team and see how they've matched up.

Reply #3273 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Having coached the Norwood boys for the past 2 years and seeing what we had last year and what will be their next year they are a good chance to do well. Our problem last year was our height. Fortunately at state champs last year we got a kid from our div 3 and he has developed into a reasonable player and also this year the developement of another of our players(div 2 last year), makes that team from last year a far more balanced and better team. Add in two solid second year leaders and they look rreally good. All depends on who coaches next year.. Would be a good year to coach the state team next year

Reply #3305 | Report this post

nall  
Years ago

it is true, state will be awsome

Reply #3308 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

12 Boys, Sturt, Forestville, Tigers
12 Girls, Sturt, Tigers, South North
14 Boys , Sturt, Norwood, West
14 Girls Sturt, Tigers, Centrals, Foretville
16 Boys South, Sturt, Norwood, Tigers
16 Girls North, Norwood, West, Sturt
18 Boys, Tigers, Woodville, Forestville
18 Girls North, West Forestville

Anyone agree?

Reply #3311 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Wearing our hearts and ambitions on our sleeves????

1) Carlo trying to shoot Paul Arnott in the back or facing him upfront? .........
"All depends on who coaches next year.. Would be a good year to coach the state team next year

Carlo Bertetic, 17/08/04"

AND

2)Is Liam on the Marines sniper & commando trail of Scott Loveday??? ....
"This is great news for whomever coaches the state team next year. The past 3 -4 years have seen a very even competition in that age group which has reflected in some great results from the U/18 SA Metro boys at Nationals.

Liam Flynn, 17/08/04"

Just seems WAY too early after one attempt at that State Age group to remove the coaches doesn't it???

and

This comes from the TWO Assistant coaches for U16 Metro boys of this year??? Makes one wonder, thats all!

Reply #3314 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

FarViewer,

Neither Liam nor Carlo were trying to stake their claims. They were both just commenting on the strengths of the age group.

Incidentally, Carlo was talking about the U18s, not the U16s.

I like your attempt to cause a barney though!

Reply #3318 | Report this post

Years ago

12 Boys, Sturt, Forestville, Tigers
14 Boys ,West, Sturt, Norwood
16 Boys Sturt and North (Tight One), South, Norwood

Reply #3319 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

curious - how could you forget North in u14 girls?

Reply #3321 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I am curious as to what makes people think next years U18 state team will be so great when that group came 8th last year?

Am I missing something?! I only know of 1 person that wasn't there in 16s.

Not trying to be negative, I'm just not sure why everyone thinks it's such a great group. Hopefully they will keep our top 4 streak alive in 2005.

Reply #3322 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Hahah farviewer... that is a funny post. You could work for the local basketball tabloid magazine.

I just think maybe you should read Carlo's post again but more carefully, slowly and one word at a time this time. I hope it makes sense after that.

Having said that you would think the Norwood U18s would be similar as they were 2 yrs ago but only time will tell.

The step up from U16 1s to U18 1s is the biggest step in juniors.

Too many first years making the step up make things tough. ( and b4 everyone jumps up and down I am talking generally and not specifics)

Reply #3323 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Well , possibly three people vying for the U18s State Metro post makes an even more interesting picture!

Why comment on State Team Coaching unless one was interested, or are they maybe trying to "cause a barney" Paul A??

:P

Reply #3325 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

zzzzz....just rissen out of a coma.....zzzz....slipped into it shortly after reading far viewer's post....zzzz.....must have been a stupidity induced....zzzz....a warning to all to be careful when reading all of far viewer's future posts.......

Reply #3331 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

Curious, fairly decentish predictions, but with two glaring omissions:

U14 girls: North

This team made the gf in 12s, and although I don't know if most/all are still there, would expect them to at least be around the mark. Maybe someone from North could confirm?

U16 Boys: North

The North boys group easily won 14s, going undefeated throughout the winter season. I believe they also have 3 players returning from this years' 16 1s who have performed well. Also, why is everyone so high on South in 16 boys? They were fairly average in 14s if I remember correctly....

Reply #3478 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Apologies, I forgot the Under 14 North girls. They will be there especially as they have picked up the west guard.

Reply #3503 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Firstly i have no ambition to coach a state team yet. I delighted to be asked by Paul back in January to be an assistant and if i ever get asked again i would accept. For someone who has been coaching district basketball for only 4 years and div 1 for the past 2 (after moving from the country) i have no intention to apply for the state for a number of years.
I have no intention of stabbing paul in the back. As i have said to many people at my club he is a great coach who has a great depth of knowledge. alot which i have picked up and used in my trainings and games. The same goes for Liam.
As incognito stated i was talking about the 18's. I think there are some decent players in that group from 2 years ago and with 2 years further development at sasi and as players they are a good chance to perform well.

And lastly to someone who hides behind Farview, if you knew the type of person i am, i am not one to shoot people in the back and if i ever decide to apply for a state team against the previous years coach im sure i am decent enough to discuss with them. Especially someone like Paul would has helped me out so much over the past 2 yars as a district coach.

Reply #3521 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Carlo,

While I am sure you did learn alot from Liam Flynn and Paul Arnott, coaching with them, I was dissapointed you didnt mention the time a couple of years ago, after a jr training, at st iggies I gave you a 3 pt shooting lesson.

In keeping with the topic I will keep a lid on whether we will be strong or not next year but I do look forward to facing you in the U16s. We did get some very, very big kids out to trials! My club shall remain nameless but some can probably figure it out for themselves.
Does height count for anything in basketball??

Reply #3529 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

You're coaching U16s Incog?! My golly gosh. Your Club must be desperate!! :-P

Reply #3530 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Reply #3532 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

That's awesome incognito...

How big are these boys, can they play, and are they metro or country?

Reply #3539 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Come on incognito. I look forwood to coaching against you too. I have heard alot of things about your coaching, so it will be interesting to see what you can do? Should be interesting how your club goes considering they dont have a div 1 team this year and are mid table in the 2's.

Reply #3673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're sitting 4th, they beat Norwood mate and lost to North by 7!

Reply #3714 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

carlo u might remember me? my sources told me i would hav been re-instated bak into the 16 1's team at norwood where michael cobbing had me planned to play all along until he quit, but i left to play 16 1's for woodville. unfortuantely another coaching change there and a new recruit saw me dropped to 2's and i am now stuck in 18 3's absolutely dominating. im a good 6'2 now. reckon if id stayed id b in the 18 1's for next season????
p.s if u dont remember me bk wen u were coachin under 12's i was the under 16 who came out and helped....

Reply #3721 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

The above post from anon was not me btw.

I dont pretend for a moment we will beat the Flames. But at least we will be tall and have a better 3 pt shooting coach :)

Reply #3734 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Legal Disclaimer:

"3 pt shooting coach" comes across as if Im trying to say I can teach kids to shoot better than Carlo and thats not the case.

Its just a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that I beat Carlo in a shooting game a couple of years ago.

I wouldnt use this forum to have a crack at a good coach/guy like Carlo.

Reply #3737 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Ihquwir, i do remember who you are, an your problably right, if you stayed at norwood and fought for your spot for a bit longer you might have been in. But thats history. That was your decision to leave and lets leave it at that.

Incognito, being tall is one thing but actually being able to play is completely different. Height is great but they the need to be developed. They take time and are often hard work. Good luck to your group next year. How is that ABL career going?

Reply #3839 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

hahah yes mate, I think patience, extreme hardwork, perserverence and belief are key.... and that applies to the points in your entire post.

Reply #3852 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

carlo im serious i hav game now and wud make norwood 18 1's i reckon

Reply #3872 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

disregard that last post, i was hammered coz id just come from the intercol bball afterparty

Reply #3882 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

*tut tut* He's a Woodville feral now :P

Jirachi, everytime we played him in 16s after he left we won the game every time because of his 'perfect' attitude. Alternatively, modesty is a recommended social as well as personal trait you might need in the future, if you're going to succeed in anything, CM. Your brother is a top bloke - ask him about it.

PS If you could "make it" in 18 1s at Norwood why didn't you go to trials? Why not prove something on the court reather than use your mouth the whole game? From what I heard from our 18 3s coach, nothing much has changed.

*Legal Disclaimer* (like I know what I'm doing here anyway...)
I just don't like arrogance, and it's late and missing the All* pissed me off.

Reply #3917 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

1. i was drunk wen i said i had game and wud make the 18 1's

2. goodluck having a 'perfect' attitude in the team i was in

3. i broke my toe in the game against norwood so i wasnt exactly at my best

4. i didnt go out to trials coz im happy at woodville, surrounded by great blokes and havin fun which is wat its all about

5. i didnt make that first post to claim how good i was, it was purely out of curiosity

Reply #3923 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Ok, sure, fine, whatever.

Just don't use your 'being drunk' to blame for everything you say.

Reply #3940 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

not everything i say, just that one post...

Reply #3951 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Libertine

Do you think maybe lhquwir is just 'testing the waters' because he knows he won't make Div 1 at Woodville? They do have a very strong group.

Reply #3960 | Report this post

lhguwir  
Years ago

Ive moved clubs once, and have never looked back. I am happy at woodville and only want to play div 1 if i feel like i deserve to be there. Im not gonna look around tryna make div one at other clubs wen im happy playin wateva at woodville

Reply #3966 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

"Cat in the Hat"

I didn't want to say that :P

Reply #3999 | Report this post

Am i Right?  
Years ago

the u14 sturt boys team is one of the best units going around they took just their sturt team away to play state teams such as QLD state and knocked them off by about 20 if i hear correctly this team is mad and beat the 2nd top team by 40 points each game its a strond force in the game and will become very big soon.

Reply #5180 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

north 18 1s

Reply #5236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

north 18 1 girls? their whole team is practically breakin up!! they aint gonna be that strong

i say fville 18 1, norwood 18 1, west 18 1 girls

Reply #5239 | Report this post

The Guard  
Years ago

I am surprised not many have mentioned forestville for u18 div 1 boys. They will have three big guys which will be hard to match up on and 2 state guards as well. They came 2nd in u16 2 years ago and if Sturt are missing Dodman it is hard to see who will push the eagles.

Reply #6468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Sturt Girls U18 div 1 especially with the return of Paul and a few surprises

Reply #6476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sturt's big fella is going to AIS but they still have Garrett, Gemo, Blood and Gav. they will be a threat again this year.

Reply #10459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754