Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Breakers, Dec 29

The last couple of games have been tough for the SIxers, but Creeky is back this game and this should be an extra little present for all the fans.

Last two times these teams have met have been crackerjack games. Sixers, at home, invented ways to bring the Breakers into the game so they could get a win, but held on valiantly, then a few days later in God's own country, the Sixers threw out the spinnaker to score 34 points in the final quarter to win by 15.

Since then, NZ have beaten Sydney by 3 and Adelaide have lost on the road to Melbourne (no comment about umpiring required), before being double dacked at home by the Snakes.

Plenty on offer tonight and the muggy conditions might suit our Kiwi kousins.

I'm thinking this will be a high scoring game with plenty of attempts made from outside the arc. Look for lots of extra passes on those plays to open players in the pockets. Inside the key, I think the Sixers have the muscle to win this contest.

Both teams love a fast game in transition so we'll see the shot clock attendant with a finger faster than a contestant on Eddie's Millionaire show.

I think you all know who I'm going for!

Topic #42428 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers by 15, Sixer fans cry foul.

Reply #663398 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Hate to state the bleeding obvious but we really need this one.

I expect Cairns to win on the weekend against Perth, so if we lose this we drop out of the 4 and they go up.

Reply #663402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz by 4. 2 techs and 2 unsportsmanlike fouls

Reply #663407 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

NZ to win.
Moore is a big out for Adelaide.

Reply #663410 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well apparently Creek won't take any S_ _ T.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-look-to-bounce-back-to-form-against-nbl-leader-new-zealand-breakers/news-story/e95b27d0f21849bc9b162335aeb1b11e

Who is the goose asking Creek such things?

"We go home and people stop us in the street and go, 'can you guys win a game already, can you guys stop sucking'?

Reply #663414 | Report this post

Ramone will play is my mail.

Reply #663415 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Does sportsbet pay out for the correct number of unsportsmanlike and tech fouls in the last 2 minutes of a game?

Reply #663418 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Breakers by 28

Reply #663419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The market suggests Creek, Moore are out

Reply #663421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is back...wonder about Ramone

Reply #663423 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So Homicide is doing Adelaide games now?

I'm watching less than half the games after watching every single game in prior seasons. I keep planning my days around watching games only to turn them off within 30 seconds of the broadcast starting, and have no idea what's happening around the league anymore.

If I didn't have a Wildcats membership I'd already paid for I'd just stop watching completely.

Reply #663426 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

CAnt get onto nbl tv

Reply #663427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm liking the look of fluoro round

Reply #663428 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Johnson and Hodgson do not work together .
They clog the middle and Hodgson has zero post game .
He is solid at stepping into the space for easy ones , nothing more . Both of them are a liability on D as they are both slow footed and not physically strong enough to make up for the lack of speed .
Why can Joey NOT see this .

Reply #663430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That probably was a charge, but wasn't Teys falling over before the contact was made? Doesn't that count as a flop, even if it was going to be a charge?

Reply #663431 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are the refs allowed to call both a charge and a flop on the same play? That would help significantly with getting guys to realise they can get a call without falling over. Actually giving them the call without them falling over would help too.

Reply #663432 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That play was a blatant flop by Teys.

Reply #663433 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hate how they call charges after the pass has been made. Basically the rule expects an offensive player to be able to stop on a dime and it rewards defenders 'sliding' under players in such situations.

Reply #663434 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agreed Macdub. It stifles the offensive team too much and rewards mediocre defence.

Reply #663435 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No tech on Deng??

Reply #663436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of contact on Deng's block.

Reply #663437 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I like Adelaide's balance. They are probably the most balanced teams in the league..from 1 to 5..they have terrific players with major areas of the game covered well (rebounding, shooting, playmaking etc.)

Reply #663438 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hate how they call charges after the pass has been made. Basically the rule expects an offensive player to be able to stop on a dime and it rewards defenders 'sliding' under players in such situations.
Why should it be any different to if they keep the ball? Passing off shouldn't give you free rein to run defenders over.

Reply #663439 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

This needs to be the last season for DJ in a Sixers uniform . Not worth the $$ .

Reply #663440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really quiet croud

Reply #663441 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agreed should be the last season of DJ.

Reply #663442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng awesome half, so engaged. If only he hasn't blown that dunk.

Sixers switched on tonight, great defence.

Reply #663443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

17 free throws to 9

Reply #663444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ bench fallen away greatly since start of season, Loe highly over rated and Ili not near as good. Penny has looked old certainly defending.

Reply #663445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide 'there should nothing on the floor that deng can't do'

Except pass. The guy would try and shoot if he was inbounding

Reply #663446 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Penney's played on a year too long the problem for NZ is he's still got another year to go on his contract.

Reply #663447 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Why should it be any different to if they keep the ball? Passing off shouldn't give you free rein to run defenders over."

I don't know what good there is in equating it to a scenario where one retains/keeps the ball. Obviously in that situation they have possession, they have made contact and they have been advantaged by 'charging' the player.

The offensive player hasn't been advantaged if he passes the ball, the defender chooses to anticipate the contact and falls to the ground after the player has already given up possession (some may say the offensive team has got an advantage by having an opposition defender 'on the ground' however thats arguably the defenders own fault).

I agree that passing off shouldn't give you free reign; but players aren't exactly using 'free reign' when they hit the player. Heck they usually don't even the opportunity to stop. That is the problem.

I'd rather only reward the charging call for good defense. To me, 'beating' a player to a spot on the drive = absolutely. But simply waiting until some guy comes down from the air = no charge.

In any event, I thought it was always a charge to 'slide' underneath a player mid-air - which is what happens in these situations (and in this particular situation).

Reply #663448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson and Johnson and Childress? No. Please no. Childress and one of the 2 underperformers is enough.

Reply #663449 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

some may say the offensive team has got an advantage by having an opposition defender 'on the ground' however thats arguably the defenders own fault
I would absolutely say that, and further say that fault lies solely with the player who knocked him over.

The defender is entitled to stand where he likes, he has no obligation to get out of anyone's way. An out-of-control offensive player shouldn't be able to barrel into the paint and fling the ball away a split-second before contact to avoid the turnover, while simultaneously clearing out the help defense for the guy who now has the ball.

they usually don't even the opportunity to stop.
There's no obligation to give them that opportunity.

I'm not watching the game, because Homicide, so I can't comment on the particular call. Yes, if the player has already left the ground you can't slide under them. But that's not what happens 99% of the time this argument starts up, and if that is what happened the player not having the ball is a red herring anyway.

Reply #663450 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably the best game I've seen Shorter play.

Reply #663451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23 Free throws to 9 LOL

All comes down to what the referees bet on....that is all it comes down to.

Who is going to catch the referees? LOL

Nothing better than earning an extra couple of thousand a week hey refs

Reply #663452 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm a NZB supporter. Yes, Adelaide are getting home cooking with some very favourable calls.

But who cares? We get home cooking and favourable calls in NZ..and so does every home team.

Swings and roundabouts.

Reply #663453 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Deng's certainly not shy tonight

Reply #663454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loving Deng's willingness to shoot.

Reply #663455 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Don't call crap like that

Reply #663456 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Not sure of Loe's contract situation; but please oh please can we not re-sign him next year/cut him. He is horrendous.

Tough offensive foul on Sosa. Very minimal contact..looked like Sobey kept running to oversell it.

Sobey should attack more and more; rather than settling for jumpers. He is such an athletic finisher..with an incredible first step. Either makes the basket or gets fouled a high % of the time.

Reply #663457 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure Loe only re-signed for 1 year.

Good crowd 7236

Reply #663458 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Massive game from Chill in this one.

Reply #663459 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Game bookended by shit ref calls.

First possession: Hodgson jumped from out of bounds to get the offensive rebound and score.

Last possession: Should've been an unsportsmanlike on Abercrombie.

Reply #663462 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Second-last*

Reply #663463 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Need one of the nerdier guys on this site to tally which commentators have called the most games this year.

Reply #663464 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

36ers got out of jail really excellent fight back by NZ but Shorter turned up tonight.

Reply #663465 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Top spot up for grabs beware Melbourne United.

Reply #663466 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Deng seems to be stepping up when required. I like his game

Reply #663467 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure Casey liked that Shorter jumping in

Reply #663468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delaney energy got NZ back in it only to be sent back to bench, coaches got play there young guys when go well. Home cooking got the job done.

Reply #663469 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Henare not a happy camper in the presser

Reply #663470 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

At least the refs were on top of Vikona's usual pushing and holding crap.

Reply #663471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's why I like NZ v Cats games, both teams play tough D and the calls generally balance out.
But oh, "shock and horror" if a visiting team tries to play defence in Adelaide.
Joey has the refs conned/scared and they gifted him a win tonight.
Rather pathetic that this is what it takes for Adelaide to win on their home court, but hey, every NZ loss is good news for Perth.

Reply #663472 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

^ So you're saying Joey influenced the refs somehow tonight and that's the reason why Adelaide won the game? Seriously??

Reply #663473 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Sosa set the table so many times for the NZ bigs only to have them miss a chippie of fumble the ball away.

Reply #663474 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Seems Sosa's individual success is completely inverse to team success

Reply #663479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this was nba the coaching staff would have had creek on restricted minutes. Maybe nba teams can see that creek played 31 out of minutes first game back from an injury.

Reply #663480 | Report this post

Creek was ready last game

Reply #663481 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the "Home Cooking" for the fouls but more the nature of the respective offences in the first three quarters. NZ took and hit a lot of outside shots while 36ers mainly shot contested shots in the keyway. Therefore there were a lot more fouls called on NZ. From about halfway through the third quarter, NZ put the ball inside a lot more, hence there were more fouls called on Adelaide and most probably were about even from then. Same thing over the past few games with NZ.

Reply #663482 | Report this post

The Rooster  
Years ago

The laugh on the foul count is that all three refs have teamed in various combinations in NZ. Why would they ref differently?

Reply #663484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boxscore has crowd as 5000 yet other sources have 7236 or 7201. Which is correct?

Reply #663493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking

That ambercrombie block was clean as a whistle

Then down the other end Deng fouls Delaney on a break and nothing

Calls like those influence the game

Reply #663494 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Never rely on boxscore crowd figures. The stats guys just throw any figure in there.

Reply #663496 | Report this post

Shut up koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #663497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson stepping out of court twice and not being called

Vukona getting a foul called on him when deng tussled with him. What did Vukona do to get a foul called on him.

Reply #663499 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Had Deng in a headlock

Reply #663501 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ look old and slow and only have one decent import at the moment. 36ers too quick for tgem.

Reply #663502 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think the Breakers have the oldest roster ATM.

Reply #663505 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Breakers really need to add another import or risk slipping down the ladder

Reply #663506 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

NZ racked up fouls because Adelaide kept penetrating and moving the ball quickly. NZ looked ok late when Adelaide slowed down a bit.

Reply #663508 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If you penetrate and dish around on offense and defend the 3 point line on offense NZ seem a bit lost.

Reply #663511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754